SupaTunaGT

• May 02, 2024, 04:14:23 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

On Tuesday Nights join TheHotstepper for "Tuneless Tuesdays" (TuTu for short)

Thursday Night is "A Touch of Class" night; sponsored by Feldynn...

Check out the Career in a Year Friday nights 9pm eastern

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Godzilla versus America @ Suzuka! 3/22 @ PM EST - UPDATED  (Read 8399 times)

RickS95

• The Bored of Directors
  • Bigeye Tuna
Re: Godzilla versus America @ Suzuka!
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2013, 04:12:17 PM »

Good deal.  I'm occupied today but should have plenty of time tomorrow to spend on this.

I only ran a few laps in the ZR1 and did it in a brand new car without an oil change.  Off the showroom floor it registers 576 PP. It's a handful to drive, with all that power.  Through the first check point, I was dead even with my time in the GT-R.  However, after that, the ZR1 gets to use it's power a little better and runs laps just shy of a second faster per lap than even the Spec V version of the import.  With an oil change, it would easily be a second faster per lap, though I'm not sure how tire wear would be.  Like I said, it's not an easy car to drive...huge push under WOT.

Wolfpack987

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Southern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2013, 10:45:31 AM »

I spent some time yesterday comparing a fully broken in Z06 against a GTR with it's engine output reduced to 485 hp.  Still seemed like an unfair advantage.

I'm thinking that perhaps a switch to race medium tires could benefit the Z06 a bit (more than GTR) and even things.  Hopefully can test out that theory tonight.

PSN ID = dawson864

RickS95

• The Bored of Directors
  • Bigeye Tuna
« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2013, 11:06:32 AM »

I spent some time yesterday comparing a fully broken in Z06 against a GTR with it's engine output reduced to 485 hp.  Still seemed like an unfair advantage.

I'm thinking that perhaps a switch to race medium tires could benefit the Z06 a bit (more than GTR) and even things.  Hopefully can test out that theory tonight.

Couple things.  First, has anyone else run these two cars?  Just because I found one to be better than the other doesn't mean everyone else will.  If I remember right, I thought one of the cars in the previous enduro was a go-to car when no one else did.  Maybe the Nissan worked better with my driving style.  As an aside, when we did some testing back in Prologue, a few of us noted that the stock GT-R was actually faster than after we made modifications to it. 

Second, any thoughts to just having a single model race?  Variety is great, but seemingly not when a GT-R is involved. 

DudeTuna

• The Bored of Directors
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2013, 11:10:34 AM »

Couple things.  First, has anyone else run these two cars?  Just because I found one to be better than the other doesn't mean everyone else will.  If I remember right, I thought one of the cars in the previous enduro was a go-to car when no one else did.  Maybe the Nissan worked better with my driving style.  As an aside, when we did some testing back in Prologue, a few of us noted that the stock GT-R was actually faster than after we made modifications to it. 

Second, any thoughts to just having a single model race?  Variety is great, but seemingly not when a GT-R is involved. 

I'm all for a single malt, er um model.

Wolfpack987

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Southern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2013, 12:24:26 PM »

I don't really think there was a "go to" car in the last enduro.  I believe the top 3 finishers all had different cars.  As to this race, I really like keeping at least 2 cars in the ring.  And if people don't think the GTR will work, I have something else in the wings that seems quite equal to the Z06, that comes from that boot shaped country...  ;)

PSN ID = dawson864

RickS95

• The Bored of Directors
  • Bigeye Tuna
« Reply #35 on: February 04, 2013, 12:52:27 PM »

I don't really think there was a "go to" car in the last enduro.  I believe the top 3 finishers all had different cars.  As to this race, I really like keeping at least 2 cars in the ring.  And if people don't think the GTR will work, I have something else in the wings that seems quite equal to the Z06, that comes from that boot shaped country...  ;)

Am I seeing a Ferrari purchase in my future?

Wolfpack987

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Southern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2013, 08:50:38 AM »

Myself, Phreak and nosoks ran several races last night one being a 20 lap affair and the others 4-6 laps between the base GTR and Z06.  The difference maker this time was the use of Race Medium tires.  The cars seem very closely matched when using this stickier rubber.

I think this is the configuration to use.  The Z06 was faster than the GTR through 3 of the 4 segments and consistently put down faster lap times.  However there is a much smaller margin for error with the Z06 over the GTR.  10 laps seems to be about as far as the tires will last.  At that point the Z06 is down to 10-15% tread front and rear.  GTR about 10% fromt 40% rear I think (Phreak and nosoks ran the GTRs not me).  Best lap time I had in the Z06 was a 2:06.980.  I don't think either Phreak or nosoks broke below the mid 2:08s.

Basically if you want a challenge in the this race pick the Z06.  Either car can win.  Given no driving errors the Z06 should be hands down faster.

OP has been updated to reflect these regulation changes...
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 10:52:51 AM by WolfpackS2k »

PSN ID = dawson864

TunaPhreak

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Atlantic Bluefin Tuna
  • Do or do not, there is no try.
« Reply #37 on: February 05, 2013, 12:16:41 PM »

Yeah, lots of goos times last night testing out.  I think the RM's may shift the balance slightly in the vette's favor, but driving style will certainly play a large part in here.  I don't think you're going to get much closer using untuned cars than teh RM races we had last night, looking forward to it!
Race smarter, not harder!
http://www.mygranturismo.net/26145
My PSN is PsychoPhreak, not TunaPhreak. You can tune a car but you can't TunaPhreak!

RickS95

• The Bored of Directors
  • Bigeye Tuna
« Reply #38 on: February 06, 2013, 01:37:07 PM »

Does anyone want to meet in a lounge and run some laps to try out these cars?  I've run both the Corvette and the GT-R and I'm still undecided.  Would like to try each in the heat of battle to see what happens to tire wear. 

DudeTuna

• The Bored of Directors
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #39 on: February 06, 2013, 01:39:17 PM »

Does anyone want to meet in a lounge and run some laps to try out these cars?  I've run both the Corvette and the GT-R and I'm still undecided.  Would like to try each in the heat of battle to see what happens to tire wear. 

Sure, you want to do 30 laps Saturday morning?

RickS95

• The Bored of Directors
  • Bigeye Tuna
« Reply #40 on: February 06, 2013, 01:47:26 PM »

Depends on what 'morning' means to you. 

DudeTuna

• The Bored of Directors
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #41 on: February 06, 2013, 01:49:29 PM »

I'm west coast and could be ready at 7am. I know 10am may be a little late in the morning for you, but I don't feel like getting up too much earlier. :)

Wolfpack987

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Southern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #42 on: February 06, 2013, 02:29:24 PM »

All I knows is, when you're on the 10th lap with one set of tires in the Z06 you CANNOT flat foot it through turn 12.  If you try it you can get ready to wave good-bye to the back of the car as it passes you around 135 mph

PSN ID = dawson864

RickS95

• The Bored of Directors
  • Bigeye Tuna
« Reply #43 on: February 06, 2013, 02:31:16 PM »

All I knows is, when you're on the 10th lap with one set of tires in the Z06 you CANNOT flat foot it through turn 12.  If you try it you can get ready to wave good-bye to the back of the car as it passes you around 135 mph

I have trouble in turn 7 as well.  It either pushes me into the sand on the right or the ass end passes the front end and puts me into the wall on the left.

RickS95

• The Bored of Directors
  • Bigeye Tuna
« Reply #44 on: February 06, 2013, 02:32:37 PM »

I'm west coast and could be ready at 7am. I know 10am may be a little late in the morning for you, but I don't feel like getting up too much earlier. :)

I don't blame you Dude and I'd never ask you to get up early on a Saturday because I know I don't want to have to.  Let me check at home and see if I've planned something I don't remember and I'll get back with you.  Maybe we can get a handful of guys so it's like a real race.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up