• May 04, 2024, 06:46:59 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to our new HOME!!!

These ARE the TUNAs you seek...

CHECK OUT our site, BECOME a member, JOIN our "EVNETS", and RACE with us...

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Needing help here  (Read 2931 times)

BakedTuna

• Administrator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
Needing help here
« on: May 06, 2015, 10:41:37 AM »

Need some help my ancient PS3 is sounding like it is in a bad way. I need to learn how/if I can back up my game to external hard drive or something else if there is a better way. Sons have said they hardly ever use their PS3 so I could have theirs they are PC guys. But I am not sure if when I save info if that covers my personal info garage bank etc plus the game info or if I am going to have to do the updates. And from what I have read the update process is horrible if it were too terrible I may be done with GT6 altogether.

If I were able to step up to a PS4 there is no GT yet so I would be missing out on several regular events as I am not sure how many folks are going to migrate to P Cars when it comes out and what events may switch over as well, if any. Kind of moot point at the moment as funds are too tight to drop $400-800 on a PS4 or two as boys have expressed interest in one of those possibly, so getting one might mean getting two, as my console is tied to my rig. Although they are still on the fence even more so than myself.

Any thoughts, suggestions, knowledge shared and or general help would be looked upon kindly.

Basically I am wanting to keep running with the same crowds I currently do for as cheap as possible. My PC is cobbled together, thanks to some help from my Tuna brothers and sons' hand me downs. It is not the best around but works. Might possibly just do P Cars and A Corsa there and forget about PS4 til I see if and when others will make the leap. Or maybe just never do PS4.

Like I said I am just looking around to try to figure out what my next move will be.

Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 10:53:55 AM by BakedTuna »

DudeTuna

• The Bored of Directors
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
Re: Needing help here
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2015, 10:53:21 AM »

Need some help my ancient PS3 is sounding like it is in a bad way. I need to learn how/if I can back up my game to external hard drive or something else if there is a better way. Sons have said they hardly ever use their PS3 so I could have theirs they are PC guys. But I am not sure if when I save info if that covers my personal info garage bank etc plus the game info or if I am going to have to do the updates. And from what I have read the update process is horrible if it were too terrible I may be done with GT6 altogether.

If I were able to step up to a PS4 there is no GT yet so I would be missing out on several regular events as I am not sure how many folks are going to migrate to P Cars when it comes out and what events may switch over as well, if any. Kind of moot point at the moment as funds are too tight to drop $400-800 on a PS4 or two as boys have expressed interest in one of those possibly, so getting one might mean getting two, as my console is tied to my rig. Although they are still on the fence even more so than myself.

Any thoughts, suggestions, knowledge shared and or general help would be looked upon kindly.

Basically I am wanting to keep running with the same crowds I currently do for as cheap as possible. My PC is cobbled together and not the best around but works. Might possibly just do P Cars and A Corsa there and forget about PS4 til I see if and when others will make the leap. Or maybe just never do PS4.

Like I said I am just looking around to try to figure out what my next move will be.

Thanks in advance.

Copy your GT6 save file to a USB stick. Install GT6 on new PS3. Paste GT6 save file from USB stick.

GT6 update instructions from PSN forums
http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/Gran-Turismo-Series-General/Recommended-GT6-Updating-Instructions/td-p/44803188

BakedTuna

• Administrator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2015, 10:56:24 AM »

So the save file is just my info? The updating of the game is a separate deal? Not trying to be obtuse I am genuinely asking.

DudeTuna

• The Bored of Directors
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2015, 11:13:05 AM »

So the save file is just my info? (Yes) The (installation and) updating of the game is a separate deal? (yes up to wtf version are we on now? 1.18?) Not trying to be obtuse I am genuinely asking.

Copy your save data to the USB stick.

Then yes installation and updating of game on new ps3

Then paste your save data from USB stick

Maybe more help here too
http://www.gran-turismo.com/us/gt6/manual/#!/save_load/autosave

JoshTuna

• Atlantic Bluefin Tuna
  • STGT'S resident DRIFTER
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2015, 12:23:23 PM »

as dude said baked its real simple just save gt6 file onto a usb stick and install gt6 on new ps3 and copy it back to your new ps3 and you will still have all your cars and bank etc. ive done it a few times onto my old fatty from my slim
keep the racing HARD,FAST and CLEAN never hold back and always give it your best shot

Feldynn

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2015, 12:59:02 PM »

Definitely copy the GT6 save file to a USB stick like Dude / Josh mention, that's the simplest way to save your game progress but obviously you'll have to go through the installation / update process on the new console for the game itself (though hopefully that's just a case of time and following prompts).

I'd have to check on my console to be sure but I think there is also a way you can do a direct data transfer from one console to the other.  Essentially you have both consoles plugged in at the same time, then from the old one there should be an option to do a "Data Transfer" to another console via the network cable.  I'm pretty sure I did that once, just a case of following the prompts and connecting the old PS3 to the new PS3 (instead of to your modem / router) then it copies your user info, game installs, save files and other data to the new console.

Definitely worth copying the save file to USB as soon as you can though, Baked, I'll see if I can find more on that data transfer thing later on :).

"Not visualising the equine bestowment via it's verbilisation aperture!"

"Every silver lining has a touch of grey.."

GoesTuna11

• The Bored of Directors
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2015, 01:03:24 PM »

When I got my new PS3 and tried to install GT6, it kept on failing.  You have to install some updates, then cancel the update and do some of the ghost updates, then more updates, more ghost updates and so on.  It was an annoying process.  I think Dude posted a link to detailed instructions.  I don't know if they have fixed that problem since.

Feldynn

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2015, 02:42:09 PM »

There's probably an online guide somewhere with pictures and instructions, but I checked quick and under Settings -> System Settings there's a "Data Transfer Utility" option that says:

"Transfers data that is saved on one PS3 system to another PS3 system.  You can use this feature when replacing the PS3 system that you usually use with another PS3 system."

Seems to be a fairly straightforward process from the little I poked at it, though obviously you'll need to have both PS3s plugged into a TV / Monitor and each other with the network cable.  Assuming yours is still alive and you can hook up two together somewhere I'm guessing this might be an option to try, Baked, if it works it should copy all the GT6 game files over as well as your save data so you won't have to go through the whole download process again.

"Not visualising the equine bestowment via it's verbilisation aperture!"

"Every silver lining has a touch of grey.."

ChromeTuna

• Global Moderator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
  • Chrome will get you home.
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2015, 03:22:18 PM »

I've done the Data Transfer that Feldynn is talking about, when my fatty died. It is real simple, and it tells you step by step what you need to do.

Also, as already mentioned, save your game save to a USB stick, just to be safe. After my fatty died, I always backed up my game save to a USB stick after every session. Probably overkill to do it that often, but if something happened, I'd have an up to date file to get going again.
"Life is hard, when you're delicious."

BakedTuna

• Administrator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2015, 03:26:18 PM »

I think I am going to try this. I looked over some how to on it and it looks like it is fairly reasonable. I think I need to buy a short ethernet cable and I might even be able to run it from my room to theirs so I can do it all without having to move anything until I am sure it works. I will also need to create my ID on their PS3.

BakedTuna

• Administrator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2015, 03:28:45 PM »

So Chrome do I have it more or less right create my ID on their PS3 and follow the on screen prompts?

DudeTuna

• The Bored of Directors
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2015, 03:33:57 PM »

So Chrome do I have it more or less right create my ID on their PS3 and follow the on screen prompts?

Step by step
https://support.us.playstation.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1935/~/ps3-data-transfer-utility

nosoks

• The Bored of Directors
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2015, 04:24:50 PM »

I've done the Data Transfer that Feldynn is talking about, when my fatty died. It is real simple, and it tells you step by step what you need to do.

Also, as already mentioned, save your game save to a USB stick, just to be safe. After my fatty died, I always backed up my game save to a USB stick after every session. Probably overkill to do it that often, but if something happened, I'd have an up to date file to get going again.

:stoopid:
the only thing I lost in the transfer was my replays so if you have some you like, save them somewhere

edit.. this was transferring GT5 and it moved and installed "up to date"
« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 07:20:17 PM by nosoks »
If everyone follows rule #1 we'd need no other rules
Rule #1 = Pay attention

ChromeTuna

• Global Moderator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
  • Chrome will get you home.
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2015, 08:01:29 PM »

Yes, go to it Baked. It's been a while since i did it, but if a tech dumbass like myself can do it, anybody can.

And like nosoks said, replays won't come over in the Data Transfer.
"Life is hard, when you're delicious."

BakedTuna

• Administrator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2015, 12:32:13 PM »

How long does this take the PS3 I am transferring from just keeps saying waiting to transfer while the receiving one just says waiting to receive with 0% progress?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up