• May 03, 2024, 03:33:13 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to our new HOME!!!

These ARE the TUNAs you seek...

CHECK OUT our site, BECOME a member, JOIN our "EVNETS", and RACE with us...

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 28   Go Down

Author Topic: GT Saturdays (Check latest posts for weekly details)  (Read 44003 times)

ChromeTuna

• Global Moderator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
  • Chrome will get you home.
Re: GT Saturdays 5/19 - 3pm EST (Evo vs STi @ Nurb Weather/Time)
« Reply #90 on: May 17, 2012, 07:14:03 AM »

What if you put the changeabilty to a high number? Seems like it would cycle quicker, like the day/night thing.
"Life is hard, when you're delicious."

EX_stream_tuna

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
    • GT6 Photomode Album @ Flikr.com
« Reply #91 on: May 17, 2012, 08:31:37 AM »

thanks guys,

I think chrome is partially right.

I did a few hours of just sitting in a lounge and messing w/ settings, and some driving with Crow to pass the time.

Two things can affect how long rain lasts.  Where you start, and how fast you ask it to change.

If you start at Weather 0-25%, it is unlikely to rain very soon unless you have the changability factor raised to at least 4.

We have to keep in mind that the starting position of 25% means that it could either go up or down and then the chagne factor decides how quickly.

If you start at 50%, you're actually saying "make it look like it will rain" and with a change of 0 you are saying "make it stay that way."

If you start with 75% or more, you're asking for a certainty of rain right at the start.  Problem with that is, you want people to be able to do laps and hopefully ahve the race start before the rain.  Resetting wipes the lap times.

So starting somewhere low is preferable for a race start.  The question is, how do you get it to rain some but not really heavy and not for most of the race?

With this setting, we did see heavy rain for a while but then it stopped after around 2 laps.

Weather = 25%
Change = 5

So that shows that perhaps a higher change makes it stop raining at some point.

Think of it this way.  Weather % is a slider.  If you ask it to change, it could go up or down.  If it goes down first, it will probably go all the way toward 0% and then travel back up again.  The amount of time it takes to start the rain could vary as a result.  If it starts sliding up toward 100%, it could go all the way up, and then all it can do is go back down.  The change factor will decide how quickly that can happen.

But all of this is a probability game and we don't know all the equations.  If we did, then so would PD's competitors.

What does seem a bit broken, unless it's just part of the "probability" feature, is that as Fried said, the reset of a room seems to drastically affect how likely it is to rain.

I tested 50% w/ 0, and it never rained.  But the first time I switched to 50% I had it at change = 5 and that indeed made it rain immediately.  I wonder if in that case it slid over toward the 51% range right away and that is what makes rain.  Weather of 51% or greater??

But yea the rest of the track seems to make the rain less predictable.

When I'm done here, I'll either fully understand this sytem and have something really neat to share with the community, or we'll know for sure whether it's broken and I can make a post about that for MasterGT to report to someone.

Brindle

« Reply #92 on: May 17, 2012, 10:24:10 AM »

thanks guys,

I think chrome is partially right.

I did a few hours of just sitting in a lounge and messing w/ settings, and some driving with Crow to pass the time.

Two things can affect how long rain lasts.  Where you start, and how fast you ask it to change.

If you start at Weather 0-25%, it is unlikely to rain very soon unless you have the changability factor raised to at least 4.

We have to keep in mind that the starting position of 25% means that it could either go up or down and then the chagne factor decides how quickly.

If you start at 50%, you're actually saying "make it look like it will rain" and with a change of 0 you are saying "make it stay that way."

If you start with 75% or more, you're asking for a certainty of rain right at the start.  Problem with that is, you want people to be able to do laps and hopefully ahve the race start before the rain.  Resetting wipes the lap times.

So starting somewhere low is preferable for a race start.  The question is, how do you get it to rain some but not really heavy and not for most of the race?

With this setting, we did see heavy rain for a while but then it stopped after around 2 laps.

Weather = 25%
Change = 5

So that shows that perhaps a higher change makes it stop raining at some point.

Think of it this way.  Weather % is a slider.  If you ask it to change, it could go up or down.  If it goes down first, it will probably go all the way toward 0% and then travel back up again.  The amount of time it takes to start the rain could vary as a result.  If it starts sliding up toward 100%, it could go all the way up, and then all it can do is go back down.  The change factor will decide how quickly that can happen.

But all of this is a probability game and we don't know all the equations.  If we did, then so would PD's competitors.

What does seem a bit broken, unless it's just part of the "probability" feature, is that as Fried said, the reset of a room seems to drastically affect how likely it is to rain.

I tested 50% w/ 0, and it never rained.  But the first time I switched to 50% I had it at change = 5 and that indeed made it rain immediately.  I wonder if in that case it slid over toward the 51% range right away and that is what makes rain.  Weather of 51% or greater??

But yea the rest of the track seems to make the rain less predictable.

When I'm done here, I'll either fully understand this sytem and have something really neat to share with the community, or we'll know for sure whether it's broken and I can make a post about that for MasterGT to report to someone.

I am awaiting the results. 

This has never happened for me.  Always starts to rain after 5-10 mins.  I would agree with your statements about 25% being a small chance to rain and set at 1 should mean it will take a very long time to change.

I will keep an eye out for more results.  :)

EX_stream_tuna

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #93 on: May 19, 2012, 11:17:13 AM »

bump for race today!

see OP.

thanks brindle, I think there's always some randomness built in, even though the basic settings do somewhat control what happens.  just like weather doesn't always do what we want IRL, they made it so we don't have complete control.

Hope you and others can make it out!

EX_stream_tuna

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
Re: GT Saturdays 5/26 - 3pm EST (Lightweights @ Eiger Short)
« Reply #94 on: May 24, 2012, 09:46:02 AM »

updated OP w/ this week's specs.

(there's some good discussion on the PSN thread if you take a look there.  clacksman and ot hers are comparing the car choices... goos info!)

EX_stream_tuna

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #95 on: May 24, 2012, 03:04:07 PM »

updating for a change to the specs which dmcallis negotiated w/ participants just today...

Weight min is now 840kg.

Brindle

« Reply #96 on: May 25, 2012, 05:55:36 AM »

Any numbers I should aim for?  Also, any racing tire correct?

EX_stream_tuna

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #97 on: May 25, 2012, 08:57:11 AM »

yes when I read "Unrestricted" I take that to mean you can choose mediums and hards too.  If it says "Racing Softs" then I stick to those, no pun intended.  NOT pitting at this aweful pit row may be what wins the day...  I'm not sure if anyone is getting the laps done w/o pitting on harder tires.

the slower guys are reporting 1:13s, and it sounds like clacksman will be there... so at least one guy to give you a real race!

So far it sounds like I won't be there.  Have fun, if you do end up racing!

EDIT: new intel...

Clacksman wrote: Elise RM consistent 1'07s for me, tune in GTData.  Best 1'07.116

111R RM good on S-s front/R-h rear tire split but I don't have time to figure out the way to get balanced long-term tire wear.  A single 1'07.1 was promising.

Roadster TC is 2 seconds per lap slower for me, felt really good so it shouldn't be that much slower but it was.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 09:17:07 AM by Ex-Xboxfan »

Brindle

« Reply #98 on: May 25, 2012, 09:52:35 AM »

Trick is what tires he got the 107's with.  The car I'm testing now is mid 9's on racing hard.  I'm sure with softs it would easily match or beat 7's.

That is my real question.  I have been looking at the PSN forum, and have seen numerous times, but no one is specifying which tires give those times.

Thanks for the input Ex.

EX_stream_tuna

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #99 on: May 25, 2012, 11:20:24 AM »

ok I think it's safe to say they are using racing softs then.  come race time, they may switch them but w/ just trying out cars to see what gets good times, they are probably using the best tire available.

if you look at GTdata for clack's tune, it probably has tire type included.

Brindle

« Reply #100 on: May 25, 2012, 11:59:32 AM »

Thanks Ex.  :)

EX_stream_tuna

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #101 on: May 29, 2012, 07:03:20 AM »

i hear it was a good race, were you there?  hear mr. sandwich also made a momentary appearence before he warped off into the distance.

EX_stream_tuna

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
Re: GT Saturdays 6/2- 3pm EST (multi-class @)
« Reply #102 on: May 31, 2012, 02:26:53 PM »

new specs posted for this week.  sorry it's a bit late.

two classes this week GT and Prototype.

DudeTuna

• The Bored of Directors
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
Re: GT Saturdays 6/2- 3pm EST (multi-class @ Indy RC)
« Reply #103 on: May 31, 2012, 02:33:38 PM »

I haz R390  :)

EX_stream_tuna

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
Re: GT Saturdays 6/2- 3pm EST (multi-class @ Indy RC)
« Reply #104 on: May 31, 2012, 02:40:11 PM »

awesome :)

if some of you want to let me know here or go over to the Deathstar thread (listed in OP) to let us know what class and whether you think you'll be able to make it, that will help us plan for Saturday.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 28   Go Up