SupaTunaGT

• May 17, 2024, 02:46:25 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Coming Attractions?

Watch this space for new News as it develops, or...

Check out the "ONLINE EVENTS" thread...

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 15   Go Down

Author Topic: The Future Of Gran Turismo  (Read 17067 times)

MasterGT

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
Re: The Future Of Gran Turismo
« Reply #75 on: December 18, 2012, 08:45:08 PM »

I like what you have there at 1-8.  I'm finding it difficult to come up with 2 more good ones.  

I'll go with better car/engine sounds for one.  I know that one is going to fall on deaf ears though, as Kaz apparently thinks the sound is "perfect".

Another would be better qualifying procedures.

Thank you for mentioning sound, TunaWiz!

I just got SONY's second-gen PS3 stereo chat headset, the "Pulse Elite Edition". It is a better product than the first one.

People complain about the car engine sounds and I have always had a poor opinion of it myself. After using the new headset for the first time, yesterday, I am shocked as to just how bad it really is. It's pretty disgusting, actually. I also think that they tried to do too much with it, too. When sitting in the pits, the POV will swing around the car giving you a different tone through the 360* circle. Each of the four driving views gives us a different tone or sound quality. The only two that sound any good at all are the one from the showroom (which isn't even a driving view) and the one from the trailing third-person view. So far, the distortion used is just unbelievable.

Wiz

• Tech
  • Administrator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #76 on: December 18, 2012, 08:49:13 PM »

Oh I go another...  Drag racing.

I can't imagine it would be all that hard to implement and wouldn't take up a lot of disc space.  

If you click on open lobbies, half of them are drag rooms already.  Why not give us a proper way to do it?

Wiz

• Tech
  • Administrator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #77 on: December 18, 2012, 08:56:22 PM »

I am shocked as to just how bad it really is. It's pretty disgusting, actually.

I agree. 

I've always thought the sounds in Gran Turismo were subpar, but after playing some PC sims recently, they made me realize just how bad GT5 sounds truly are.

Side note: I use Turtle Beach PX21's, which are fairly decent.

ChromeTuna

• Global Moderator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
  • Chrome will get you home.
« Reply #78 on: December 18, 2012, 09:41:11 PM »

Why is a livery editor so important to most people?

Sorry for double posting.

I'd say its the same reason I race mostly black cars and when available always use the number 27.  Its a combination of self expressionism, a way to identify oneself from all the other faceless people online.  It also adds variety to the replays and photos that we take.  Its also a form of artistic expression or a way to support a real world team or drive by decorating a car to match a real world race car.

:stoopid:

Although, more tracks is really all I care about. Sorry to sound like a broken record, but does PD think we would just forget about all the cool/fun tracks GT4 had? Not to mention the few here and there throughout GT's history, that were in only 1 game.
"Life is hard, when you're delicious."

Feldynn

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #79 on: December 18, 2012, 10:43:42 PM »

Why is a livery editor so important to most people?

For me I'd only want to see a full livery editor available for race cars, I could live with some basic / generic decal options for road cars too like racing stripes or something but I've never really cared for the crazy "art car" themed stuff on street cars.  Not that there's anything wrong with epic dragons or busty wenches on cars, I guess I just prefer my street cars to be relatively clean :).

Granted these examples are from PC racing games where you have much more freedom with the livery in terms of how you put it together (software wise I mean, copy / pasting external images and stuff) but this is why I'd want some sort of livery option available at least for race cars..

My iRacing MX-5 race car

The Race07 "Big Rek Towing" 70s Camaro race car I did for BigREK

I'd love to be able to do stuff like that in Gran Turismo, for my own cars and for you guys to use too.

"Not visualising the equine bestowment via it's verbilisation aperture!"

"Every silver lining has a touch of grey.."

MX5#98

• SOLITARY Confinement
  • Southern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #80 on: December 19, 2012, 09:58:50 AM »

I don't think it is necessary to request this one, for two reasons.

As mentioned before, it is doubtful that the technology is "there" yet.

Also, PD is already working with GPS related products and have been for a few years, now. What they are researching, though, is how to get real-world driving data into GT. They were actually working on the second-gen link to GT this year. I am pretty certain that if we can think of inputting tracks for GT from player-generated data, then they could, too. This idea has been around for a few years.

Ok, I just want to say a couple things about this. I think the reason that I'm so excited about this is that:

1. The technology IS there. Checkout: http://www.strava.com
2. The technology is ubiquitous. Every single human being over the age of 12 now owns a smart phone capable of recording the GPS data.
3. The technology is mature and proven. Over 10,000 cyclists use Strava regularly to record their rides and analyze the data.
4. It's somewhat easy to implement. All you need to do is define the data format and give the developer community an API to upload the data. There are hundreds of thousands of smart phone applications on the market, proving that developers will WRITE IT FOR YOU if you let them!!! I am personally volunteering to write the iPhone app for Kaz for free.

The points that have been raised are all valid, if the expectation is that the end result would be a close approximate to the real world. My only expectation is that the track would be the same distance, have a similar amount of elevation change and then be completely different than the real world otherwise. The technology doesn't need to be able to reproduce everything, just distance, elevation, changes in direction. And all of that is completely possible with today's technology using the common cell phone. Doing this would give the community a never ending supply of custom tracks and the game would literally never get boring. More than that, it would completely change the gaming industry by bringing the real world to gaming. It would change everything.

Just my humble opinion.
PSN ID: MX5_Racer_69
iRacing: Michael Schaefer2

Brindle

« Reply #81 on: December 19, 2012, 12:10:04 PM »

I would like to see more detailed information in the transmission and engine setup screen.  I don't think it to be that hard to put a graph behind the torque and hp lines.  Also I miss the speed numbers like in prologue next to the transmission graph.

Those 2 alone can help one set up a trans and give vital information on shift points/powerband.

MasterGT

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #82 on: December 19, 2012, 12:50:18 PM »

Ok, I just want to say a couple things about this. I think the reason that I'm so excited about this is that:

1. The technology IS there. Checkout: http://www.strava.com
2. The technology is ubiquitous. Every single human being over the age of 12 now owns a smart phone capable of recording the GPS data.
3. The technology is mature and proven. Over 10,000 cyclists use Strava regularly to record their rides and analyze the data.
4. It's somewhat easy to implement. All you need to do is define the data format and give the developer community an API to upload the data. There are hundreds of thousands of smart phone applications on the market, proving that developers will WRITE IT FOR YOU if you let them!!! I am personally volunteering to write the iPhone app for Kaz for free.

The points that have been raised are all valid, if the expectation is that the end result would be a close approximate to the real world. My only expectation is that the track would be the same distance, have a similar amount of elevation change and then be completely different than the real world otherwise. The technology doesn't need to be able to reproduce everything, just distance, elevation, changes in direction. And all of that is completely possible with today's technology using the common cell phone. Doing this would give the community a never ending supply of custom tracks and the game would literally never get boring. More than that, it would completely change the gaming industry by bringing the real world to gaming. It would change everything.

Just my humble opinion.

Yes, I can suggest that they take a look at Strava, but it isn't something that would be added to GT5, which is the focus here. I looked for examples of Strava maps, but the site doesn't show what their data looks like (just a tiny elevation graph).

I don't have or want need a phone capable of doing this nor do most people I know have one. A few do.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 12:55:57 PM by MasterGT »

TheHotstepper

• Global Moderator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
  • HaTUNA Matata
    • Classic Car Weekly
« Reply #83 on: December 19, 2012, 12:58:11 PM »

This has kind of become the "Hey Kaz" thread but I'll post it here since this one is more active...

With recent talk among people about the pros/cons of tuning/tuneless racing I thought:

What about a "Crew Chief" function? Most race car drivers (pros, generally) don't hop under the car and adjust toe, camber, etc. They tell some engineers what the car is doing and then the mechanics go to work. I'm not a mechanic. I thought the purpose of the game was to drive. It's not the "Real Tuning Simulator."

So what if you could hit a "Crew Chief" button and this would come up (imagine them as sliders):

Corner Entry
Understeer . . . . . . . . . . Oversteer

Corner Exit

Tire Wear
Slow. . . . . . . . . .  Too Fast

ETC.
1. . . . . . . . . . 10

You slide to a specific value for each and the game automatically spits out a tune that you could adjust any way you want. Or you could leave it be or reset to default. By no means would you have to use it - for those of you that are Self-Tuning Demigods. But for those of us who aren't, it would make a great jumping-off point.

DudeTuna

• The Bored of Directors
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #84 on: December 19, 2012, 01:03:46 PM »

This has kind of become the "Hey Kaz" thread but I'll post it here since this one is more active...

With recent talk among people about the pros/cons of tuning/tuneless racing I thought:

What about a "Crew Chief" function? Most race car drivers (pros, generally) don't hop under the car and adjust toe, camber, etc. They tell some engineers what the car is doing and then the mechanics go to work. I'm not a mechanic. I thought the purpose of the game was to drive. It's not the "Real Tuning Simulator."

So what if you could hit a "Crew Chief" button and this would come up (imagine them as sliders):

Corner Entry

Corner Exit

Tire Wear

ETC.
1. . . . . . . . . . 10

You slide to a specific value for each and the game automatically spits out a tune that you could adjust any way you want. Or you could leave it be or reset to default. By no means would you have to use it - for those of you that are Self-Tuning Demigods. But for those of us who aren't, it would make a great jumping-off point.

This would be nice.

RickS95

• The Bored of Directors
  • Bigeye Tuna
« Reply #85 on: December 19, 2012, 01:21:45 PM »

Corner Entry

Corner Exit

Tire Wear

ETC.
1. . . . . . . . . . 10

This would be nice.

Haven't we decided that the adjustments made to the tuning of a car in the game are sometimes the opposite of what should happen in real life? 

DudeTuna

• The Bored of Directors
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #86 on: December 19, 2012, 01:24:59 PM »

Corner Entry

Corner Exit

Tire Wear

ETC.
1. . . . . . . . . . 10

This would be nice.

Haven't we decided that the adjustments made to the tuning of a car in the game are sometimes the opposite of what should happen in real life? 

So long as the game crew chief fixes the oversteer/understeer it doesn't really matter. It would be nice if real life adjustments and in game adjustments had the same effect though.

GoesTuna11

• The Bored of Directors
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #87 on: December 19, 2012, 01:39:29 PM »

Updated... I will give this some more time, so that more players can comment.

What is the one thing that GT5 needs now?

1: more tracks (real-world, fantasy or from previous releases)
2: a good livery editor
3: a more stable on-line environment
4: a fully developed custom track editor
5: new cars targeting important missing cars (quality over quantity)
6: full access to our garages, settings, GT Auto, and upgrades while on-line
7: a more complete set of on-line host controls and options
8: better AI & real races against the AI, not always just "chasing the rabbit"
9:
10:

This poll is for all of you, so are these how you want them worded in the poll, esp #8?

Any missing important items to add / should any be removed?

Depending on which one receives the highest number of votes, maybe a follow-up poll can expand upon its terms, but one thing at a time.

Maybe change the question a little.  maybe: What does GT5 need to maintain your interest until the release of GT6?
maybe add an option: Nothing, GT5 is great the way it is.

MX5#98

• SOLITARY Confinement
  • Southern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #88 on: December 19, 2012, 02:22:24 PM »

Yes, I can suggest that they take a look at Strava, but it isn't something that would be added to GT5, which is the focus here. I looked for examples of Strava maps, but the site doesn't show what their data looks like (just a tiny elevation graph).

I don't have or want need a phone capable of doing this nor do most people I know have one. A few do.

Here are some of the routes I've recorded.

1. Hiking Mt. Charleston in Las Vegas:
http://app.strava.com/activities/26925602

2. Red River Bike Rally
http://app.strava.com/activities/17871005

Maps are provided on both pages. I'm using an old beat up run down TMobile MyTouch Android phone that will be 4 years old in February. I think I'm using version Android version 2.2.3. I'm kind of surprised that you don't know more people with these phones. You almost can't buy the old flip phones anymore. All the new phones are touch screen smart phones.

Here is a pretty compelling reason to own one if you're into racing:

http://trackmaster.trackaroo.com/welcome

Hey wait a minute .... if GT6 could read the data from Trackmaster with an "Import Trackmaster" button that you could point to a url online that had the data ... holy shit Batman, you're done.

MX

MX5#98

• SOLITARY Confinement
  • Southern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #89 on: December 19, 2012, 03:21:00 PM »

This thread got me thinking ... how many apps are already on the market that record track times for stuff like Autox? Turns out, there are lots of them. Since I'm thinking of getting an iPhone when my contract runs out, I found this one pretty interesting:

It's called Harry's Lap Timer. Here's a video using it from Laguna Seca:

Harry's Lap Timer Pro - Laguna Seca

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 15   Go Up