SupaTunaGT

• May 17, 2024, 04:21:19 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Coming Attractions?

Watch this space for new News as it develops, or...

Check out the "ONLINE EVENTS" thread...

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 15   Go Down

Author Topic: The Future Of Gran Turismo  (Read 17091 times)

MasterGT

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
Re: The Future Of Gran Turismo
« Reply #105 on: December 20, 2012, 11:58:09 AM »

Would it be possible for Sony to sell dedicated game server space?
Similar to what's done here. http://www.multiplaygameservers.com/game-servers/

Hmmm, curious.

Mostly all shooters or war games there, no racing. I don't know the PC game world all that well, but I kind of doubt SONY/PD would relinquish control over the environment like that. GameSpy is set up to support on-line services for some console games. We used them for some PS2 titles, such as ToCA, but they had the whole on-line environment in their hands, not Codemasters.

DudeTuna

• The Bored of Directors
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #106 on: December 20, 2012, 12:13:30 PM »

Would it be possible for Sony to sell dedicated game server space?
Similar to what's done here. http://www.multiplaygameservers.com/game-servers/

Hmmm, curious.

Mostly all shooters or war games there, no racing. I don't know the PC game world all that well, but I kind of doubt SONY/PD would relinquish control over the environment like that. GameSpy is set up to support on-line services for some console games. We used them for some PS2 titles, such as ToCA, but they had the whole on-line environment in their hands, not Codemasters.

It would allow for fixed host status. Server space could be purchased in the middle of the country players would have a nice average ping to server and all players could exit and change oil while the server continues to serve. :)

Also, I get the watch race gig. That's why a host option to lock room at race start might be better.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2012, 12:15:32 PM by DudeTuna »

dlrws6

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Southern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #107 on: December 20, 2012, 12:21:11 PM »

It's small, insignificant and probably not worth putting on the list, but...  The game is two years old now. How about dropping the 1 million credit car trade cap.  Just leave the DLC and special prize cars (GT academy, etc.) on the trade block list.  It just seems to me to be kind of useless now.

Boston77Bruins

• The Bored of Directors
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
  • BLEEDS BLACK AND GOLD
« Reply #108 on: December 20, 2012, 01:57:54 PM »

As dlrws just said, the game is old now.  in addition to dropping the cap, they could/should also cease giving out museum cards, helmets and uniforms.  Truly pointless imo.

GoesTuna11

• The Bored of Directors
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #109 on: December 20, 2012, 05:44:51 PM »

Improving Seasonals like that might help boost interest (the theme for the poll) and they could certainly do that without fiddling with GT5 much.

I also reworded the custom track editor line.

Besides disconnects, what other major problems do you see most often while on-line, or is that the only major one?

Anything to improve the off-line play or are you going to focus mainly on on-line?

Anything else missing?

What does GT5 need to maintain your interest until the release of GT6?

1: more tracks (real-world, fantasy or from previous releases)
2: more variation in Seasonals, such as the 15-minute-warning time trials
3: a more stable on-line environment
4: a more versatile custom track editor
5: new cars targeting important missing cars (quality over quantity)
6: full access to our garages, settings, GT Auto, and upgrades while on-line
7: a more complete set of on-line host controls and options
8: better AI & real races against the AI, not always just "chasing the rabbit"
9:
10: Nothing much. It's fine the way it is until GT6 is released.

I'd reword number 2.  I'm not sure that many people would remember those time trials back in GT5P (anyone here actually remember it?).  As I recall, it was a one off event.  Maybe use the Coulthard example:
2. More innovation in seasonals such as the "Race a virtual SLS against a real life SLS driven by David Coulthard" event.

As far as offline racing, as long as the AI sucks as bad as it does, offline racing will be a lost cause. 

AgentWD40_FL

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Southern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #110 on: December 20, 2012, 05:55:58 PM »

Xbox's Saturday event brings an idea ...... get rid of the dust and snow clouds on rally tracks.  I know it takes away from the realism, and I dont mind it at all .... but I am the minority in that regard.  Nobody wants to race off road because of it and with that said .... a big part of racing is being missed.  I love the slip sliding around, but rarely ever do it because I cant find any rooms.

Should be an easy code change, or maybe give a setup choice of ON or OFF.

CharlieTuna

• Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #111 on: December 20, 2012, 08:27:56 PM »

I still think a livery editor could breathe some life into this game.

And as someone mentioned, most other games have it already, so it should be pretty easy to find folks who could build the add-in with great speed. 

Just use the Microsoft methods, it's been tried, tested and proven to work for years.  "Steal the code, modify it slightly, and call it your own..."

MasterGT

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #112 on: December 20, 2012, 11:43:13 PM »

I'm not sure of the character count in a poll line. I will try to find out and condense the long one, if necessary. It should be kept short, overall, though.

Dropping the high-value cap is possible to add, so long as there is still room, and #10 can be dropped if there isn't room.

While a lot of players clamour for one, a livery editor is a huge item to add at this time in GT5's life.
In the poll, it would just take up a line for another possible change.

I raced on a snow track today. The cloud is so thick that, since there was no way I could get through it to the front with all of the cars playing ping-pong with each other on the narrow track, I just went to the back and stayed out of trouble there. None of the other cars even had doors.

Feldynn

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #113 on: December 21, 2012, 12:26:42 AM »

While a lot of players clamour for one, a livery editor is a huge item to add at this time in GT5's life.
In the poll, it would just take up a line for another possible change.

True, a full livery editor would likely be out of the realms of GT5 at least in terms of this poll thing.  I did start thinking about it from an alternative angle and while this might not be something to fit on the poll I thought it worth at least bringing up.

Perhaps a possibility for GT5 would be a Decal Applicator rather than a Livery Editor, I mean there is already some sort of framework for coloured decals built into the game at least with certain premium cars.  Take the Ford GT and Chevy Camaro SS as examples of that framework, they each have basic decals on them at time of purchase and even have a (very) limited range of options:

The Camaro has racing stripes or hockey stripes.
The Ford GT has full racing stripes or just side stripes.

Those decals also change colour depending on the paint colour of the car itself (e.g. light stripes on a dark body or dark stripes on a light body), the same is also true for all the Race Mods and TC cars we have. 

So there's obviously some sort of decal related framework built into the game currently, maybe that's something they could build on just a little bit to give us the ability to add similar prefitted decals to other premium cars, manually select the decal colours or even have a few preset decal styles to choose from for the RMs and TCs.  Nothing we actually edit or design ourselves (beyond colour choice), just pick from a handful of presets for any premium car like when you go through the colour choices on the Ford GT / Chevy Camaro when you buy a new one.

"Not visualising the equine bestowment via it's verbilisation aperture!"

"Every silver lining has a touch of grey.."

MasterGT

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #114 on: December 21, 2012, 12:54:53 AM »

I changed the main question, a bit. Let's not get a head of ourselves. :laugh

It seems the poll widget will take long lines, such as #2.

Dose #2 actually need the examples?
What if they didn't get a good reception?

Added two more items at the bottom.

Feedback?

What does GT5 need to maintain your interest throughout 2013?

1: more tracks (real-world, fantasy or from previous releases)
2: more variation & excitement in Seasonals (including surprise 15-minute-warning time trials, pro-driver challenges)
3: a more stable on-line environment
4: a more versatile custom track editor
5: new cars targeting important missing cars (quality over quantity)
6: full access to our garages, settings, GT Auto, and upgrades while on-line
7: a more complete set of on-line host controls and options
8: better AI & real races against the AI, not always just "chasing the rabbit"
9: discard the maximum trading limitation
10: improve rally playability by making dust/snow clouds more transparent
« Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 01:29:54 AM by MasterGT »

MasterGT

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #115 on: December 21, 2012, 01:39:27 AM »

Also, a few of you have recently mentioned that they would like "Expert" races to actually be set up as real "expert" races, but nobody has suggested it for the poll.

Feldynn

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #116 on: December 21, 2012, 10:57:36 AM »

I can't speak for everyone but I think having a significantly better AI and actual races is more important, actually it might even be part of the process of making races and events properly "expert" too by means of an adjustable AI strength setting (though might just become another setting of PD to screw up like SRF :lolz).

"Not visualising the equine bestowment via it's verbilisation aperture!"

"Every silver lining has a touch of grey.."

GoesTuna11

• The Bored of Directors
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #117 on: December 21, 2012, 11:36:42 AM »

I can't speak for everyone but I think having a significantly better AI and actual races is more important, actually it might even be part of the process of making races and events properly "expert" too by means of an adjustable AI strength setting (though might just become another setting of PD to screw up like SRF ).

The problem with this exercise is we keep coming up with things that PD should have gotten right in the first place and they are still not fixed 2 years later.

For me to maintain my current level in GT (which isn't much) PD just needs to maintain online.  If we get lag like we had a few weeks ago, I don't think I'll play much.

To increase my participation, something special needs to be done.  The AI is a huge issue.  Having the AI give up completely when you are passing them just ruins things for me.  No amount of adjusting the AI strength can fix that.  It's baffling that the adjustable AI strength thing was taken out of the game.  It was much more fun racing the AI in GT5P than in GT5.

Fixing rally would go a long way.  Less dust kickback so you can race with others.  Point to point track creation with the Navigator.  Releasing Pikes peak would be great.  That would get me playing GT5 a lot.

DudeTuna

• The Bored of Directors
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #118 on: December 21, 2012, 11:44:55 AM »

PD has given us the tools to make us better racers. The goal is to be more competitive online. With rabbit AI racers we are forced to run better and better lap times while still making passes.

MX5#98

• SOLITARY Confinement
  • Southern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #119 on: December 21, 2012, 12:14:26 PM »

Yeah, to me it call all be summarized as:

1. Online Racing - address issues with stability, speed, controlling access to races (keeping out the riff raft) and promoting equal competition. The more options here the better. Would love to see more options to allow customization of rooms including finer grained control of car modifications allowed.

2. More Tracks - this can be accomplished in a number of ways: PD can do the work and implement the tracks, they can also improve the track editor and third, find a way to import existing tracks from third party systems (387 tracks (including my favorite local tracks) are available from TrackMaster here: http://www.mytrackmaster.com/#BrowseTracksPlace:).

3. Better AI - just a little bit of adjustment here would make them very hard to race against. Would also be nice if I could race against my Bobs.

PSN ID: MX5_Racer_69
iRacing: Michael Schaefer2
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 15   Go Up