SupaTunaGT

• May 02, 2024, 02:39:27 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Coming Attractions?

Watch this space for new News as it develops, or...

Check out the "ONLINE EVENTS" thread...

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 15   Go Down

Author Topic: The Future Of Gran Turismo  (Read 16857 times)

MasterGT

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
Re: The Future Of Gran Turismo
« Reply #45 on: December 18, 2012, 12:42:10 PM »

Over 9 million GT5 copies. The grand total is for every version and release, since they started.

I think we can all agree that PD is comfortable with the way things are and the way they do business, but they are slowly changing and opening up. They will have to do more. The new tire modelling was released fairly quickly after I sent in the player observations, but most players would never know what the source of the new model was - other players, just like us.

I can't explain a lot of their reasoning behind other things they don't change that would improve GT for everyone, but the marketplace still is pretty efficient at straightening out these kinds of problems.

TunahCroonah

• The Bored of Directors
  • Bigeye Tuna
  • Yes, I run with scissors, and?
« Reply #46 on: December 18, 2012, 01:07:30 PM »

MGT, as you say, "I can't explain a lot of their reasoning behind other things they don't change that would improve GT for everyone, but the marketplace still is pretty efficient at straightening out these kinds of problems.", but I can't find any evidence to the fact that the BIGGEST GRIPE has repeatedly been "NOT ENOUGH TRACKS" - This has been since the very release of this title in November, 2010.

Since that time we have gotten:

Spa, Track "X", AND 4 Motegi Tracks.  They have at a minimum 15 other tracks that they could've released from GT4 (we've already requested them in other posts) ....This has been a bone of contention since a week after the game was released - "where's the tracks?"  Don't you think it time to REMIND PD and SCEA that the major issue is TRACKS?

Over 9 million copies sold, huh?  Let's see.....at roughly $45.00 U.S./copy that would mean that the gross profit would be $405,000,000.00 or 405 Million.  Even at 20%, they made $81,000,000.  Wasn't that enough money for their customers to get their ATTENTON??

I don't know, it's just a thought that entered my mind - but not recently.  :D

Just sayin'........ (sic)
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 01:16:07 PM by TunahCroonah »

TunahCroonah

• The Bored of Directors
  • Bigeye Tuna
  • Yes, I run with scissors, and?
« Reply #47 on: December 18, 2012, 01:20:00 PM »

Oh, and BTW, MX5: Thanks for posting this, it has really been a thorn in my side for a couple of years now.  I'm glad to see this generated so many responses, both positive and negative here, by our fellow TUNA!  

Nice to see we still all have opinions (even if mine are so verbal, ). I'm Sending $100.00 to all who agree with me....................................................................................

PSYCHE!

Just kidding. :D
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 01:23:49 PM by TunahCroonah »

MasterGT

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #48 on: December 18, 2012, 02:58:48 PM »

Don't you think it time to REMIND PD and SCEA that the major issue is TRACKS?

It has also been on my mind, plus it is my biggest gripe with GT5, too.
I will see what more I can do.

One thing that I could do is post a new pole asking about up to ten things that GT desperately needs now, such as more tracks, more cars, more race cars, better on-line hosts controls, oil change in the pits, whatever. (The trouble with their polls is that you can only select one item from the list, not multi-select.)

If you all can come to an agreement on the ten criteria, I will make the poll. Deal?

DudeTuna

• The Bored of Directors
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #49 on: December 18, 2012, 03:13:00 PM »

One thing that I could do is post a new pole asking about up to ten things that GT desperately needs now, such as more tracks, more cars, more race cars, better on-line hosts controls, oil change in the pits, whatever. (The trouble with their polls is that you can only select one item from the list, not multi-select.)

If you all can come to an agreement on the ten criteria, I will make the poll. Deal?

All of those are excellent ideas.

MX5#98

• SOLITARY Confinement
  • Southern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #50 on: December 18, 2012, 03:27:47 PM »

Deal.

#1. Exact same physics in Practice Lounge as online. Please.
#2. Moar tracks.
#3. More premium cars.
#4. Online Rooms that are only visible to Friends (and possibly Friends of Friends (like the Facebook concept)). IOW, make it easier to setup a room and race with friends online without the worry of the general pubic showing up. (pun intended) Just set room to "Friends Only" and you're done.
#5. Better custom track builder (see idea mentioned for Strava like app that generates data for tracks from real life). (dream request).
#6. Full tuning access in Lounge.
#7. More DLC. Help us help you by buying more stuff.

That's all I have for now.
PSN ID: MX5_Racer_69
iRacing: Michael Schaefer2

ChromeTuna

• Global Moderator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
  • Chrome will get you home.
« Reply #51 on: December 18, 2012, 03:38:17 PM »

#4. Online Rooms that are only visible to Friends (and possibly Friends of Friends (like the Facebook concept)). IOW, make it easier to setup a room and race with friends online without the worry of the general pubic showing up. (pun intended) Just set room to "Friends Only" and you're done.

We already have that. When a person's lounge is being used, only friends of that lounge can get in, no matter who is hosting.

More tracks is the only thing that'll help this game at this point, IMO.
"Life is hard, when you're delicious."

Feldynn

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #52 on: December 18, 2012, 03:39:55 PM »

Regarding tracks I think there are 3 options for PD:

A)  Real World tracks
b:  In-house created tracks
3 - Proper track creator program

The "Real world" option would probably be the most expensive because it involves scanning tracks, getting equipment / personnel shipped all over the world, and everything else involved in getting that data into the game.

The "in-house" option should be less expensive and time consuming for them (less world travelling), they already have some data especially if they're bringing tracks forward from previous GT games but there is always a chance that their in-house tracks could turn out to be uninspiring.  Sure they did have some really nice ones like El Capitan or Red Rock Canyon (do those city tracks like New York, Seattle, that chinatown fish market one and others count as in-house?) but there's always the chance of them making some lame ones like the Track Generator does.

The "proper track creator" for us would be an awesome investment I think if it's done properly to give us enough control to make some good tracks (not the lame generator garbage we mostly get right now) and is forwards compatible with GT6, so stuff we'd make now can be imported / updated into GT6 whenever it comes out.  (I've outlined a slot car style "connect the track segments" track creator before I think)

I think it's fair to say that any tracks that are "new to GT5" would be a good thing at this point, even old tracks updated and released would be better than nothing, and I think everyone would be willing to pay for some decent track packs and maybe even a good creator program too.

"Not visualising the equine bestowment via it's verbilisation aperture!"

"Every silver lining has a touch of grey.."

MX5#98

• SOLITARY Confinement
  • Southern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #53 on: December 18, 2012, 03:45:28 PM »

We already have that. When a person's lounge is being used, only friends of that lounge can get in, no matter who is hosting.

More tracks is the only thing that'll help this game at this point, IMO.

I've always thought that the Online Lounge needed this capability as well. The way it works today, you have to know which of your friends (like HostTuna for example) is hosting a race or follow the orange dot. I'd love to go into the Online Lounge and click a checkbox that says (show only rooms with friends) or something like that. It would make hooking up a lot easier, I think.
PSN ID: MX5_Racer_69
iRacing: Michael Schaefer2

MasterGT

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #54 on: December 18, 2012, 03:50:17 PM »

Deal.

#2. Moar tracks.
#3. More premium cars.
#5. Better custom track builder (see idea mentioned for Strava like app that generates data for tracks from real life). (dream request).
#6. Full tuning access in Lounge.
#7. More DLC. Help us help you by buying more stuff.

That's all I have for now.

Those were just some quick suggestions which could easily be improved upon.

For example, your #6 covers a lot of things without getting bogged down by specifics. The same can be done for, say, cars (more classic muscle cars or historically significant cars).

I believe the last update should have taken care of your first suggestion. If you have specific examples of something not being the same now, please describe it.

MasterGT

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #55 on: December 18, 2012, 04:03:09 PM »

For those wanting more tracks:

Yes, more tracks is an important issue, but the real question is how will they arrive? We don't know PD's timetable for GT6, so if it is not too far off, then we are unlikely to get many GT5 tracks any time soon. GT6 probably will likely contain the bulk of what they have in store for us. If they drag out the GT6 release, then I would expect a few more GT5 tracks, but not many.

PD can see what we use on-line, so keep using what you prefer and what interests you.

Feldynn

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #56 on: December 18, 2012, 04:11:44 PM »

Deal.

I believe the last update should have taken care of your first suggestion. If you have specific examples of something not being the same now, please describe it.

The last patch actually did go a long way to closing the gap between online and offline physics, I haven't tried actual Practice Mode Vs. online Free Run specifically but I do know running a car in a seasonal event then running it on the same track online in Free Run does produce mostly similar results.

There is one major difference between offline and online physics though, simply put you can roll / flip a car completely over offline but NOT online.  There's some sort of limit for online physics that prevents cars from passing beyond certain degree of horizontal / vertical rotation that would result in it ending up on the roof or side.

"Not visualising the equine bestowment via it's verbilisation aperture!"

"Every silver lining has a touch of grey.."

MasterGT

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #57 on: December 18, 2012, 04:20:59 PM »

PD may be controlling roll-overs for "psychological" reasons, though, for want of a better term.

GoesTuna11

• The Bored of Directors
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #58 on: December 18, 2012, 04:21:54 PM »

MGT, as you say, "I can't explain a lot of their reasoning behind other things they don't change that would improve GT for everyone, but the marketplace still is pretty efficient at straightening out these kinds of problems.", but I can't find any evidence to the fact that the BIGGEST GRIPE has repeatedly been "NOT ENOUGH TRACKS" - This has been since the very release of this title in November, 2010.

Since that time we have gotten:

Spa, Track "X", AND 4 Motegi Tracks.  They have at a minimum 15 other tracks that they could've released from GT4 (we've already requested them in other posts) ....This has been a bone of contention since a week after the game was released - "where's the tracks?"  Don't you think it time to REMIND PD and SCEA that the major issue is TRACKS?

Over 9 million copies sold, huh?  Let's see.....at roughly $45.00 U.S./copy that would mean that the gross profit would be $405,000,000.00 or 405 Million.  Even at 20%, they made $81,000,000.  Wasn't that enough money for their customers to get their ATTENTON??

Just sayin'........ (sic)

The biggest gripe since the release of GT5 has not been the lack of tracks but has been the standard cars.  This has been the far most vocal gripe that I have seen.  Now after the incredible flack that PD got for standard cars, do you really think that they are going to release "standard tracks?".  I bet they had plans to release them but changed their minds after the uproar that the standard cars got.  PD listened to "us".

Most of the gripes about PD come are due to one of these major flaws of PD.

1. PD is way to slow in modelling cars and tracks.  It just takes them way to long for them to model.  That's a major reason why GT took too long, why we had standard cars, why we don't have enough tracks, why the DLC sucks for the most part.

2. PD has a complete lack of vision of what a racing game should be.  They have lots of great ideas but not how they should form a game.  That's why we have chase the rabbit races, AI that backs completely off when you get close to passing them, horrible aero, different physics in offline and online, worthless b spec and a spec races etc, etc, etc.  They have a bunch of different projects going at once, then they just throw them together to make a game.  So we get half-assed weather, no point to point rally or navigator instructions except in the special event, etc, etc., etc.

MasterGT

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #59 on: December 18, 2012, 04:26:53 PM »

I've always thought that the Online Lounge needed this capability as well. The way it works today, you have to know which of your friends (like HostTuna for example) is hosting a race or follow the orange dot. I'd love to go into the Online Lounge and click a checkbox that says (show only rooms with friends) or something like that. It would make hooking up a lot easier, I think.

If they did this, they would have to label which ones were "open" and which ones were "personal".

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 15   Go Up