SupaTunaGT

• May 06, 2024, 12:41:53 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Coming Attractions?

Watch this space for new News as it develops, or...

Check out the "ONLINE EVENTS" thread...

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 159   Go Down

Author Topic: Let's talk about Six, baby.  (Read 148427 times)

GoesTuna11

• The Bored of Directors
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
Re: Let's talk about Six, baby.
« Reply #150 on: May 20, 2013, 09:39:49 AM »

The thing that would ring my bell is BETTER SOUND! If they fix that i don't really care what else they do to the game!

I think the sound is fine. I wonder if you might benefit from the addition of surround sound or some adjustments.

I listen to racing, like V8 SuperCars, ALMS on just tv speakers and the sound is awesome!! Why do you need 7.1 or 5.1 to make GT5 sound good? Not everybody can afford surround sound.

PS. I do have a 2.1 Klipsch set up in my game room. Still sounds like crap to me, but movie and music sound great!

APparently PD took the raw sounds and didn't adjust them at all and had to map them against a digital repersentation of a tach, which is what digitizes the sounds.  Basically, they didn't optimize the raw sounds for a good audio experience, but the sounds are pure and genuine in most cases.

In other words, you have to use a different Equalizer setting and dynamic adjustments to make the GT5 engines etc. sound like what you hear on your TV during real races.

It's a complicated topic, but sufficing to say, you could use some adjustments to your setup, but hopefully GT6 will just be more "optimized" in the sound department so people won't have to be experts to tune their audio.

I'm not a big sound person.  For the most part GT sounds are fine to me.   However, its not too uncommon to hear youtube videos of real cars on track that sound completely different from the GT cars (ex that new Honda race car).  If the speakers on my laptop sound better than my stereo downstairs, something is wrong.  I suspect it's because they are just measuring on a dynometer and not under real life loads.  Interestingly, iRacing has the same issues.  They started modelling things like drive train flexibility and people are claiming that it sounds much better.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 09:46:51 AM by GoesTuna11 »

MX5#98

• SOLITARY Confinement
  • Southern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #151 on: May 20, 2013, 10:09:01 AM »

Shown during the 24 hours of Nurb.  Bilstein Audi R8 LMS in GT6.  I love this car and am happy it's in the game!

Gran turismo 6 Bilstein Audi R8 LMS ultra 24h Nürburgring

I had to watch this a couple of times to convince myself this was a sim and not the real thing. That's amazing. I know these videos are supposed to get us excited about the new release. But I'm afraid it's working, lol.
PSN ID: MX5_Racer_69
iRacing: Michael Schaefer2

GoesTuna11

• The Bored of Directors
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #152 on: May 20, 2013, 10:23:58 AM »

I hate to be a cynic, but I suspect much of what you're asking for will be in the PS4 version of the game. If I'm in their shoes and I'm scanning a bunch of cars, I do it for the next gen graphics engine. That way, when you roll out GT7 on the PS4, there is new and exciting eye candy for everyone to "ohh" and "ahh" about. Just my suspicion.

not really true.  If you scan a car at any given time (year) you use the tech available to you at that time.  If they are scanning any car right now, they are using the best possible tech, rest assured.  They are even innovating new ways of producing digital versions of real things (cars, tracks etc.).

Then, you scale down the wireframes to fit the platform you care developing it for.  They could scan car "X" right now and put it into GT6 with one level of quality, and scale it down less or not at all, for GT7 on the PS4.

It saves a lot of work, and the only reason there are standard  cars in GT5 with lower quality models is because the scanning methods back in GT4 days weren't nearly as good as today's.  They would have needed to scan the cars again to make them premium, and faced with the monumental task, had to face the decision of "do we not include them or include them like this just polished a little?"

I for one am glad that the standards have been in GT5 because that is hundreds of cars we would not have had.

not really true.  I'm pretty sure that most of the GT4 models were not done by laser scanning but instead done by taking pictures from different angles and manually creating the model.  To improve the current standards they could go back to the original pictures.  For things like round headlights it doesn't take a picture to realize that it shouldn't be modelled with a hexagon so some things could be improved without going back to pictures.  I suspect that the adaptive tessallation is a way to smooth out some of the imperfections on the standard models.

Now current tech is way beyond what computers can do in real time for a video game.  I'm pretty sure that PD has stated that for GT5 they created more detailed models and scaled them back for the game.

EX_stream_tuna

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
    • GT6 Photomode Album @ Flikr.com
« Reply #153 on: May 20, 2013, 01:23:24 PM »

I know, but you misunderstood I said "scanning" but I guess I just meant "capturing" not necessarily using lasers and space beams and all that fancy stuff :D

The point is that with the current tech they are getting bazzilions of polygons that will never end up in the game's wireframes.  So for the next iteration, they just remove less.

But with the adaptive tesselation (or whatev the fuk it's called) you could use fewer and fewer polygons and as that tech improves I expect that this sort of thing will matter less and less.

So I don't know for a fact, but I highly suspect that if PD scans a car say, today, they store an immensely complex wireframe and fully intend to use it in both GT6 and GT7.

EX_stream_tuna

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
    • GT6 Photomode Album @ Flikr.com
« Reply #154 on: May 20, 2013, 01:27:58 PM »

re: about the skepticism about monthly DLC (especially for tracks) consider the two following qualifying items that even if not mentioned, are a very likely reality...

1.  We asked for it, and we seem to be eager to spend more money on the same amount of new content.  PD were bigger than that.  They wanted to give us a full game and maybe add stuff later (though, they DID promise).  But we have asked to be nickled and dimed.  Now, all they have to do is withold content and release it monthly.  That doesn't requier all the dev of the new cars we've seen added in DLC since GT5's debut.  It saves them headaches AND makes more money than they othewise would have made with GT6.  remember, we asked for it.

2.  "Montly" was never qualified with a term-length.  "Monthly" could merely be for the first several months post-release and then go down to "quarterly" after that.

#1 above also lets them have a little more time to finish some things not quite ready for GT6's release.  So as long as they get the full core game finished, the amount of content finished doesn't stop them from releasing.

It's almost an incentive to not work as fast... but again, we asked for it... :-\

Feldynn

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #155 on: May 20, 2013, 01:40:19 PM »

Trying to sift through some of the stuff at GTP, here's a link to a Screenshots / videos thread (http://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=282212) but it does contain some BIG images on some pages too so expect it to bog down somewhat. 

I found this interesting little video..

Gran Turismo 6 - Preview - Eurogamer

Interesting partly because just after 1'10 they mention that the new UI "works with touch screen too" and this worries me, I really don't like this "touch screen compatible" design trend and have a horrible feeling it might turn out to be an ugly sack of crap for a UI with a bunch of big giant childish buttons and wotnot.. not unlike the way PD ruined the official Gran Turismo website with it's latest redesign.

Also I found another link to a French video piece:  Click here for JeuxVideo piece

Here's a bunch of stills from that video that were posted in the GTP thread.

The menu looks good quality wise but I really don't like the design / style of it that much right now :(.  Mind you I still like the old GT2 / GT4 map style of interface too so that's probably why I don't care for this fancy new modern crap, it could be worse though and it is only a UI after all so I'll probably be able to tolerate it.

Car selection / dealership view thing looks pretty snazzy even if it is a GT-R :).

Another example of that wheel cock thingy.

"Not visualising the equine bestowment via it's verbilisation aperture!"

"Every silver lining has a touch of grey.."

MX5#98

• SOLITARY Confinement
  • Southern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #156 on: May 20, 2013, 02:04:08 PM »

Two questions:

1.) What exactly is the GPS feature? Has anyone seen any documentation of that?

2.) Are they going to start supporting more wheels and pedals with config options like the Fanatec hardware?

MX

ChromeTuna

• Global Moderator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
  • Chrome will get you home.
« Reply #157 on: May 20, 2013, 02:42:35 PM »

Mind you I still like the old GT2 / GT4 map style of interface too so that's probably why I don't care for this fancy new modern crap, it could be worse though and it is only a UI after all so I'll probably be able to tolerate it.

I really liked just about everything about GT4. They could just update that same format to today's standards, and I'd be cool with it, not to mention the buttload of tracks that game had, and better dirt/snow physics. Now I'm rambling.
"Life is hard, when you're delicious."

Feldynn

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #158 on: May 20, 2013, 03:21:37 PM »

Two questions:

1.) What exactly is the GPS feature? Has anyone seen any documentation of that?

2.) Are they going to start supporting more wheels and pedals with config options like the Fanatec hardware?

MX

1:  Quoting from Playstation Blog GT6 article..

"The course maker will also include a new GPS data feature, which will increase the freedom of track creation in the game."

I haven't found any proper details yet though it appears there might be more info coming in July, from what I think / assume it's effectively going to allow you to take GPS data from driving your car around a track then plug it into the course maker and get a "reasonable facsimile" at least for the basic shape (and hopefully height) of the track based on the data. 

So technically you might be able to drive around your local track recording GPS data, plug it into the GT6 course maker and have something halfway similar but with a Mt. Asshole or Toscana scenery.

2:  Don't think anyone knows yet, I would assume if it works with GT5 it should at least work with GT6 but beyond that I haven't seen anything official yet.   

MX5#98

• SOLITARY Confinement
  • Southern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #159 on: May 20, 2013, 03:33:50 PM »

"The course maker will also include a new GPS data feature, which will increase the freedom of track creation in the game."

I haven't found any proper details yet though it appears there might be more info coming in July, from what I think / assume it's effectively going to allow you to take GPS data from driving your car around a track then plug it into the course maker and get a "reasonable facsimile" at least for the basic shape (and hopefully height) of the track based on the data.  

So technically you might be able to drive around your local track recording GPS data, plug it into the GT6 course maker and have something halfway similar but with a Mt. Asshole or Toscana scenery.

2:  Don't think anyone knows yet, I would assume if it works with GT5 it should at least work with GT6 but beyond that I haven't seen anything official yet.  

See, that's what's causing so much confusion for me. That would make sense. If I can import real GPS data and create a track with the track maker, both nuts are going to simultaneously explode. Based on the pics I've seen so far, it looks much more like a telemetry tool similar to iSpeed in iRacing. This will give you detailed lap by lap data on things like G-forces, speed, braking, throttle position, acceleration, pitch, yaw, slip angle, etc.

But if it's the ability to use real life GPS data to create custom tracks, I'm going to fly to Japan and have Yamaguchi's baby (whatever his name is, baby momma don't care).
« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 03:36:16 PM by MX5#98 »

Feldynn

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #160 on: May 20, 2013, 04:14:41 PM »

I think part of the confusion might have something to do wtih the Toyota GT86 CAN-ECU thing, I haven't read much on that but apparently it records all kinds of stuff (GPS, telemetry, etc) and can be imported into GT6 to create a real virtual replay of your run.

But that Playstation Blog reads like the course maker has some kind of GPS feature that may allow us to import data into it and generate some type of track based on that data.  Of course it could mean that only cars with special GPS tech or that CAN ECU thing will record data that's compatible with the GT6 Course Maker.  Even then there's no guarantee it'd be anything more than a rough recreation, unless perhaps you can record a GPS lap while puttering around the dead center of the track and not following a racing line of any kind.

On the whole I think it's probably best to wait til E3 or at least the GT Academy / Demo thing before your nuts explode :D.

GoesTuna11

• The Bored of Directors
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #161 on: May 20, 2013, 04:34:54 PM »

I think part of the confusion might have something to do wtih the Toyota GT86 CAN-ECU thing, I haven't read much on that but apparently it records all kinds of stuff (GPS, telemetry, etc) and can be imported into GT6 to create a real virtual replay of your run.

But that Playstation Blog reads like the course maker has some kind of GPS feature that may allow us to import data into it and generate some type of track based on that data.  Of course it could mean that only cars with special GPS tech or that CAN ECU thing will record data that's compatible with the GT6 Course Maker.  Even then there's no guarantee it'd be anything more than a rough recreation, unless perhaps you can record a GPS lap while puttering around the dead center of the track and not following a racing line of any kind.

On the whole I think it's probably best to wait til E3 or at least the GT Academy / Demo thing before your nuts explode :D.

i read on a couple of different sites that the GPS feature will allow you to import GPS data into the track maker but the presentation didn't mention anything about it.  I figured most sites were confused about the GPS telemetry thing in the GT86.  But that is nearly useless unless you both own a car with that telemetry system AND live near one of the real life tracks in GT.  If that's the way it is, it won't be useful for most people.  That wouldn't stop PD from doing it.

MX5#98

• SOLITARY Confinement
  • Southern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #162 on: May 20, 2013, 05:14:34 PM »

Gotcha. Yeah, might be some partnership with Toyota or something lame like that. Although, I would certainly rent a GT86 for a weekend just to record the data. Or maybe you can compare your online times with your realworld times, but you can only do this on one of GT6's tracks? That'd be lame.

There are third party GPS tools you can buy that will record this data in any format you like. They should support that. That would be awesome.

ChromeTuna

• Global Moderator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
  • Chrome will get you home.
« Reply #163 on: May 20, 2013, 06:26:26 PM »

All cars manufactured after 2008 have to have a CAN ECU. I found this out when I went to get a OBD II code reader for my 2006 MX5. Mazda started using it in 2006.

Also found this...
http://www.race-technology.com/can_interface_2_7534.html
"Life is hard, when you're delicious."

MX5#98

• SOLITARY Confinement
  • Southern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #164 on: May 20, 2013, 06:45:03 PM »

All cars manufactured after 2008 have to have a CAN ECU. I found this out when I went to get a OBD II code reader for my 2006 MX5. Mazda started using it in 2006.

Also found this...
http://www.race-technology.com/can_interface_2_7534.html

I have a BlueTooth ODBII sensor in my 2012 Miata. But a lot of the guys I race with are using a crowd sourced Telemetry system here:

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/race-capture-pro-data-that-drives-you

This thing just came out. And it supports the CAN interface (I think). So in a nutshell, if GT6 supports this, I'll buy the device and record any track you want (or any random stretch of road).

MS
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 159   Go Up