SupaTunaGT

• May 06, 2024, 12:09:23 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

On Tuesday Nights join TheHotstepper for "Tuneless Tuesdays" (TuTu for short)

Thursday Night is "A Touch of Class" night; sponsored by Feldynn...

Check out the Career in a Year Friday nights 9pm eastern

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 159   Go Down

Author Topic: Let's talk about Six, baby.  (Read 148425 times)

RickS95

• The Bored of Directors
  • Bigeye Tuna
Re: Let's talk about Six, baby.
« Reply #180 on: May 22, 2013, 07:47:30 AM »

From drum machines to smoke machines, found this on GTP and thought it was worth posting here..

Quote from: Jordan
Edit:  Oh, and I did some smoke tests - there was no pixelation.  :tup:
I think that's what we're going to see most of with the new engine, not so much a huge leap in overall quality but a lot of subtle improvements like with the smoke and hopefully shadows too among other things.

Basically fixing the things that shouldn't have been wrong with 5?

EX_stream_tuna

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
    • GT6 Photomode Album @ Flikr.com
« Reply #181 on: May 22, 2013, 08:59:52 AM »

it's easy to criticize the shadows, but there were other things that wouldn't be possible if the shadows looked like they did in prologue and the GT HD Concept game...

it was one of those difficult choices of what to nerf and what not to..

now, is suspect that the tesselation thingy they got in GT6 allows for the processors to work harder on displaying gooder shadows, whereas before it was working on smoothing out the cars' shapes.

Totally unrelated, I forge maps on Halo 4 and that forge system has numerous limitations.  Often times, people will ask "why didn't you do this or that?" and the answer is often, "well if I did that I'd have to remove this, and making this thing not suck would make this other thing suck".  That gives me some perspective about what PD had to deal w/ while programming and optimizing GT5.

It's not really that they got lazy and forgot to finish the shadow tech, but more that they made a sacrifice for something that overall doesn't matter too much, for something that matters more.  And, in photo mode the shadows were always much better anyways, so screenshots of the game usually didn't call attention to any pixelation.

Rek

• The Bored of Directors
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
  • "Global Peace Through Deadly Force"
« Reply #182 on: May 22, 2013, 09:07:38 AM »

The Light Car Comany MR Rocket looks cool :)

Feldynn

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #183 on: May 22, 2013, 09:30:01 AM »

Basically fixing the things that shouldn't have been wrong with 5?

Essentially yes, but also basically what Ex said.

It sounds like they've created this new graphics engine in such a way that it can now do all the little things the wanted to do with GT5 and still have enough power left over to do all the other important things as well, where before they had to compromise on some visual effects to provide smoother overall gameplay before now they can do both.  Kind of like how car engines used to have to compromise on fuel efficiency in favour of power but now they can be both powerful and much more efficient than previously, maybe?

It does sound like PD is at least learning from (some of) their previous choices / mistakes / experiences and are trying to improve things, I won't deny that seeing what appears to be coming now for GT6 on the PS3 I don't wish they'd done it like this in the first place but I guess that's the benefit of hindsight :).

"Not visualising the equine bestowment via it's verbilisation aperture!"

"Every silver lining has a touch of grey.."

MasterGT

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #184 on: May 22, 2013, 11:28:34 AM »

It takes time to learn how to use the power available in new hardware and to build the tools required to use it properly.

DudeTuna

• The Bored of Directors
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #185 on: May 24, 2013, 10:14:06 AM »

Wiz

• Tech
  • Administrator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #186 on: May 24, 2013, 10:58:11 AM »

Maybe the GPS data is used like this.

http://kotaku.com/gran-turismo-boss-enters-car-race-quietly-uses-video-g-509628299

The photo in this article is I think just as interesting as the article itself...

1.  Obviously tires, but what are the characters next to each tire?  Tire pressure, perhaps?
2.  A much better looking fuel gauge.
3.  Can't quite make it out.  Possibly oil pressure?  Any idea what else it could be?

DudeTuna

• The Bored of Directors
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #187 on: May 24, 2013, 11:17:09 AM »

3 = boost pressure?

Check these pics out.
http://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=282212
« Last Edit: May 24, 2013, 11:21:49 AM by DudeTuna »

MX5#98

• SOLITARY Confinement
  • Southern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #188 on: May 24, 2013, 11:57:24 AM »

Ok, I see what this is. If you have GPS telemetry data (of a certain type, currently undisclosed), you can load that data into the sim and see a replay of your real life lap. Pretty cool. But the problem is ... when am I going to get a chance to put a lap down in Tsukuba or Nurburgring? Never. So ... it isn't a feature I'd ever get to use. Bummer.

PSN ID: MX5_Racer_69
iRacing: Michael Schaefer2

Wiz

• Tech
  • Administrator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #189 on: May 24, 2013, 01:11:25 PM »

Ok, I see what this is. If you have GPS telemetry data (of a certain type, currently undisclosed), you can load that data into the sim and see a replay of your real life lap. Pretty cool. But the problem is ... when am I going to get a chance to put a lap down in Tsukuba or Nurburgring? Never. So ... it isn't a feature I'd ever get to use. Bummer.

I think the original idea was to have real racing drivers upload their best laps so us players could download them and compete against the real drivers ghost.

There was talk of this feature before GT5 came out.  I think Kaz scrapped it last minute as it wasn't quite ready.  Sounds like it's ready this time around.  
« Last Edit: May 24, 2013, 01:13:18 PM by TunaWiz »

DudeTuna

• The Bored of Directors
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #190 on: May 24, 2013, 02:08:21 PM »

I think the original idea was to have real racing drivers upload their best laps so us players could download them and compete against the real drivers ghost.

There was talk of this feature before GT5 came out.  I think Kaz scrapped it last minute as it wasn't quite ready.  Sounds like it's ready this time around.  

i concur

MasterGT

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #191 on: May 24, 2013, 08:15:18 PM »

Maybe the GPS data is used like this.

http://kotaku.com/gran-turismo-boss-enters-car-race-quietly-uses-video-g-509628299

The photo in this article is I think just as interesting as the article itself...

Did you see that controller? It has coloured PS buttons. With the blue streak on the front of it, at first, I thought it might be on a PS4, but that seems unlikely for a number of reasons.

Wiz

• Tech
  • Administrator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #192 on: May 24, 2013, 11:58:40 PM »

Did you see that controller? It has coloured PS buttons. With the blue streak on the front of it, at first, I thought it might be on a PS4, but that seems unlikely for a number of reasons.

Perhaps I'm just misunderstanding your post here, but it's definitely a PS3 controller.  All PS3 controllers that I've seen have the "blue streak"

Wiz

• Tech
  • Administrator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #193 on: May 25, 2013, 12:00:16 AM »

This was posted by Gar529 over at the official PSN forums.   It's a quote from one of the RadioLeMans guys, that was apparently at the Silverstone event, as well as the 24 hours of Nurburgring.  I don't know whether he heard this stuff from someone in the know, or if he's just making shit up.  But being at both those events, it seems likely this info could be legit.  

Good news all around, but perhaps the best news to me in yellow...

"(Polyphony) are really moving ever more into the hardcore sim environment... They are actually now modeling things like sidewall flex and actually looking at the way different tires would grip the road; be they old fashion cross plys; be they modern radials; be they slicks... If you've got a car that's running on old fashion high-sidewall tires, even if it's got the same amount of grip, it's not going to handle the same way. And they've modeled all of that... They've remodeled the tracks. They've taken 10 billion [laughs] photographs, so when it comes out it will be photo realistic -- as much as it can being on the (Playstation 3), and I'm sure on the 4 they will be almost photo realistic...You can get new wheels for (a car). You get the new wheels, it's not to make it look different, it will make it handle different with the new wheels...  (adding larger diameter wheels) will change the way it handles."

CharlieTuna

• Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #194 on: May 25, 2013, 02:53:35 AM »

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 159   Go Up