SupaTunaGT

• May 06, 2024, 05:41:44 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Coming Attractions?

Watch this space for new News as it develops, or...

Check out the "ONLINE EVENTS" thread...

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 159   Go Down

Author Topic: Let's talk about Six, baby.  (Read 148438 times)

GoesTuna11

• The Bored of Directors
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
Re: Let's talk about Six, baby.
« Reply #255 on: May 31, 2013, 02:14:52 PM »

Well, I think it would be really hard to get the programming right for the AI to be really competitive. That's why I like the idea of being able to give the AI more powerful and better handling cars. Easy way to adjust the difficulty without really making any code changes. But if time and effort aren't a factor, then I'd like PD to study Team Dumbass and program the AI to drive like those guys.    ;)

AI is super hard to program but giving the AI more powerful cars only helps so much.  You end up with a race where the AI takes off on the straights and you catch up in the corners.  I'd rather have it where you are following closely behind for long periods trying to find a way to pass.

One of the biggest problems with the AI right now is that they give up way too easy.  You go into a corner neck and neck and when you exit you look in the mirror and see the other car already a few car lengths behind.  That really ruins offline racing for me.  GT5P was better that way.  I think that PD changed it to prevent the AI from turning into you and crashing in the corner but it's too conservative now.  Arcade racing in general was much better in GT5P.  It was much easier to get a competitive race.

MX5#98

• SOLITARY Confinement
  • Southern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #256 on: May 31, 2013, 02:34:10 PM »

You end up with a race where the AI takes off on the straights and you catch up in the corners. 

That pretty much describes my experience every time I'm at the track, lol. Would not bother me a bit, so long as I have to fight to get past them in the corner and then fight to stay ahead of them. Heck, they could even pass me again on the next straight. I think that would be a lot of fun.

Again, ideally, they'd drive like the best drivers we have here. But I'd also rather get the product sooner rather than later.
PSN ID: MX5_Racer_69
iRacing: Michael Schaefer2

EX_stream_tuna

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
    • GT6 Photomode Album @ Flikr.com
« Reply #257 on: May 31, 2013, 02:42:54 PM »

yea, PD nerfed the AI's ballziness when your car is near partially in response to complaints that they would turn into you... that was their fix.  DOH!

I'm not sure if I like it better this way or not.   :-\

but, I'm sure they are a bit wiser about such things since the last release and hearing lots of criticism about the AI.

that is to say, there is going to be SOMETHING better about it, but what that is, and how much better, is anyone's guess.

We won't see much of a hint in the GT Academy demo either, because those challenges will be of the "Chase the rabbit" variety (phrase coined by Feldynn) where you start out last and have to pass all cars by the end.  The cars will likely react very little as you pass them, but they probably won't give as much ground as the typical GT5 race because I recall the 2012 Academy demo being okay in that area... they'd probaly keep it similar.

Feldynn

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #258 on: June 02, 2013, 05:22:37 PM »

Some interesting feedback from other Academy bods that were at the Silverstone presentation:

http://www.gtplanet.net/gran-turismo-6-more-hands-on-driving-impressions/

It's an interesting read and I think it basically boils down to "new physics are great!" and generally positive impressions.

"Not visualising the equine bestowment via it's verbilisation aperture!"

"Every silver lining has a touch of grey.."

MasterGT

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #259 on: June 03, 2013, 07:09:59 AM »

There is some sort of ID tag system coming, both in GT and with the update to the PSN (I call it PSN 2). What, exactly, the changes will be, I hope to hear from E3.

PD didn't say anything about AI at their Silverstone conference, but I expect improvements in GT6.

With adaptive tessellation and if we get adaptive AI, we will have to call GT the adaptive driving simulator.

MX5#98

• SOLITARY Confinement
  • Southern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #260 on: June 03, 2013, 07:49:42 AM »

Some interesting feedback from other Academy bods that were at the Silverstone presentation:

http://www.gtplanet.net/gran-turismo-6-more-hands-on-driving-impressions/

It's an interesting read and I think it basically boils down to "new physics are great!" and generally positive impressions.

One of the comments mentioned a "July Demo?" Will that be open to everyone?

Wiz

• Tech
  • Administrator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #261 on: June 03, 2013, 08:16:04 AM »

One of the comments mentioned a "July Demo?" Will that be open to everyone?

This years GT Academy is supposedly running on the GT6 platform.  My guess is this "demo" is actually the GT Academy.

Wiz

• Tech
  • Administrator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna

CharlieTuna

• Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #263 on: June 04, 2013, 09:12:30 AM »

Tesselation is just the pretty assistant designed to divert your attention...  But Displacement Mapping is the real magician, making the illusion seem real.   

Tesselation is like a high-resolution color printer and displacement mapping is more like a "3D printer". 

Without displacement mapping, tesselation can leave you flat...  ;)

MX5#98

• SOLITARY Confinement
  • Southern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #264 on: June 04, 2013, 09:28:48 AM »

Looks like the Demo will be downloadable from the Playstation Store in July:

http://www.gtplanet.net/gran-turismo-6-demo-coming-july-2013/

EX_stream_tuna

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #265 on: June 06, 2013, 09:42:18 AM »

New footage...

Gran Turismo 6 Video: Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG GT3 at Silverstone GP Circuit

to me it looks like the driving line is a lot close to what you would want to take to get a fast lap than the typical dr iving line in GT5...

when someone in a race lounge says "stupid d riving line" I think to myself, "okay, that's why they were way over there!"

all in all, some good tidbits in the above article and video.  has me slightly wet for that July demo!!!!

DudeTuna

• The Bored of Directors
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #266 on: June 06, 2013, 02:01:47 PM »

I keep thinking it would be nice to have more favorite cars. One hundred cars is too small a percentage of so many cars. The favorite cars should encompass all cars we may now or in the future wish to race online, which I suppose is what we have, but at over 1000 cars a mere 100 does not cover it for me. No sooner do I have a multiple set of cars in my favorites for an evnet race then I have to remove them for the next gig or open online race I'm attempting to join at the time. Then when something comes up that is close to something prior it is lost and I know I already tuned and (oil change/chassis refresh....it goes on) prepped it. 

I love choices, I love all the cars. I don't mind much that there are premium and standard. I do mind I can not find what I have adjusted and modded. Sometimes the online race filters require unadulterated cars, it would be nice to filter that way too, instead of showing me all the cars I have that do not meet spec.

EX_stream_tuna

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #267 on: June 06, 2013, 02:08:15 PM »

Dude, I think the Favorites list just needs to go away.  What we really need is the ability to set up our own tabs within the garage screens, and to label things as "don't show me these unless I click this other tab of mothballed cars"

or or... just give us the full garage and make it load faster.

and and, each car needs to be able to have labels attached to them like we can now do with our tuning sheets.  I need to be able to hover over my 10 different Ford GT's and see which one is labelled "Time Trial car" etc...

Having to go into each duplicate car and look at three tuning sheets each before knowing whether it's the one you really wanted to drive, is horrendous.

Tuna_Girls_n1cup

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Yellowfin Tuna
« Reply #268 on: June 07, 2013, 11:04:12 AM »

TunaTaco

TunaTaco. LOL

^ Whoa. Epic quote fail. Surely something I did.  ^-^

TheHotstepper

• Global Moderator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
  • HaTUNA Matata
    • Classic Car Weekly
« Reply #269 on: June 08, 2013, 07:25:16 PM »

You know what would be super? Being able to check a box next to x number of cars and then hit "change oil" and not have to sit through some Scott Joplin (as nice as it is) and a lengthy cut scene. Batch oil changes and chassis/engine rebuilds. And the ability to do it in-lobby. Puh-lease.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 159   Go Up