SupaTunaGT

• May 06, 2024, 06:07:13 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Around here we're just FAST enough to have FUN.

Race FAST!  Race HARD!!  Race CLEAN!!!   Have FUN!!!!

Long line Tunas!!!

Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 159   Go Down

Author Topic: Let's talk about Six, baby.  (Read 148412 times)

ChromeTuna

• Global Moderator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
  • Chrome will get you home.
Re: Let's talk about Six, baby.
« Reply #1095 on: December 18, 2013, 09:13:26 PM »

Yeah the RB Jr. is a pretty fun ride, and it doesn't sound bad either. I actually enjoyed those races enough to try the X20??/Goodwood thing again. Managed to get a bronze, which I've never done in one of those cars, and just .3 off of silver. Maybe if I get bored enough, and feel like punishing myself, I'll run it a few more times, one day.
"Life is hard, when you're delicious."

GrumpyTuna

• The Bored of Directors
  • Southern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #1096 on: December 18, 2013, 09:31:10 PM »

Looks like to get a 100% on the game you need to gold the coffee breaks! If so that really sucks because i don't drift!!! My rant for today!

Wiz

• Tech
  • Administrator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #1097 on: December 18, 2013, 09:48:53 PM »

"Real" draft!!!!!!!

Anyone tried this yet?

If so, what's your thoughts? 

If this is weaker than the "weak" setting, I'll be a very, very happy camper.

Feldynn

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #1098 on: December 18, 2013, 10:26:18 PM »

Looks like to get a 100% on the game you need to gold the coffee breaks! If so that really sucks because i don't drift!!! My rant for today!

Don't worry Grumpy you're not alone, I suck at knocking down cones on purpose so there's a couple I won't ever get so no 100% for me either :).

"Not visualising the equine bestowment via it's verbilisation aperture!"

"Every silver lining has a touch of grey.."

GoesTuna11

• The Bored of Directors
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #1099 on: December 19, 2013, 12:24:06 AM »

"Real" draft!!!!!!!

Anyone tried this yet?

No but Wardez posted a quick video. He claimed that it showed that the draft was the same strength as weak but the activation zone was less.  It looked rather disappointing.

EX_stream_tuna

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
    • GT6 Photomode Album @ Flikr.com
« Reply #1100 on: December 19, 2013, 08:15:53 AM »

"Real" draft!!!!!!!

Anyone tried this yet?

No but Wardez posted a quick video. He claimed that it showed that the draft was the same strength as weak but the activation zone was less.  It looked rather disappointing.

But, that's what the main problem was with the Weak draft... that it affected cars 100s of yards away... the strength was maybe only a little too strong IMO.

Brindle

« Reply #1101 on: December 19, 2013, 09:19:04 AM »

Tested that last night and seems very good.  It is the same strength as weak, but ONLY when you are very, very close to the other car.  It also seems to be variable as in it gets stronger (up to the strength of weak) the closer you get to the car in front.

More testing needed I'm sure, but I'm very happy with it.

GoesTuna11

• The Bored of Directors
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #1102 on: December 19, 2013, 12:59:40 PM »

"Real" draft!!!!!!!

Anyone tried this yet?

But, that's what the main problem was with the Weak draft... that it affected cars 100s of yards away... the strength was maybe only a little too strong IMO.

I can't disagree more.  It was fundamentally flawed.  It acted like a particle accelerator.  You start off with a weak decrease in air resistance which allows you to accelerate, which further decreases air resistance which allows you to accelerate even faster.  You end up in a positive feedback loop that shoots the car forward at way way too fast a speed.  PD doesn't seam to be offsetting the decrease in air resistance from the draft with an increase in air resistance from going faster.  Either that or it is missing things like increased rolling resistance or increased resistance in the drivetrain.

Decreasing the distance the draft is effective will help but it won't change the fact that it is fundamentally flawed.  From what I remember if you are close exiting a corner in GT and have a least a similar exit speed you will have little problem making a pass even on a short straight.  In other sims you need a good exit to the corner but you can't be too close or you won't get enough of a run and even then you will have to outbreak at the end of the straight to make the pass.  This seams to be similar to real motorsport where cars go laps with small gaps without passes.

GoesTuna11

• The Bored of Directors
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #1103 on: December 19, 2013, 01:09:07 PM »

Tested that last night and seems very good.  It is the same strength as weak, but ONLY when you are very, very close to the other car.  It also seems to be variable as in it gets stronger (up to the strength of weak) the closer you get to the car in front.

More testing needed I'm sure, but I'm very happy with it.

Hopefully this is good enough.

EX_stream_tuna

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
    • GT6 Photomode Album @ Flikr.com
« Reply #1104 on: December 19, 2013, 03:04:00 PM »

I only noticed that "particle accelerator" effect on one online race since it was released.  I really don't think it behaves like that all the time. (or did on weak I mean)  That was with some faster cars, so maybe at the top end, it is flawed as you say, but on the lower power spectrum, it seems very close to what you describe as ideal.

I've had plenty of occasions where (on weak) I've tried to use draft with only a little time left to pass, and it just didn't work.

But I haven't played all the sims you have, so you probably have more frame of reference for what is possible.

GoesTuna11

• The Bored of Directors
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #1105 on: December 19, 2013, 03:12:22 PM »

I found a quote on Howstuffworks saying that cars get about 8kph speed increase for drafting on superspeedways in NASCAR.  Superspeedways in NASCAR are the ideal situation for drafting.  30-40kph increase is not uncommon in GT.  Superspeedways and the Mulsanne straight can be downright comical at times.

Feldynn

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #1106 on: December 19, 2013, 03:31:40 PM »

Reminds me of the Like The Wind event I did in Career Mode last night, I was picking up a good 10-15mph (not sure what that is in kilometers though) above the car's top speed in clean air.  Would have been more but I was limited by lack of gear, think I went from about 240mph up to 255mph, or maybe more even, in the Anniversary LMP car (with the big turbo) while drafting the Veyron that passed me on the straight at Route X.

I assume offline they use the Strong draft setting though because it seems like you can pick up the effect from a country mile away, definitely seems to be amplified at higher speeds too which in some ways I think you would expect though because isn't that what really limits cars like the Veyron after a certain point.  The soupy nature of undisrupted air makes it harder to accelerate beyond a certain speed so if you're doing over 200mph+ I could see drafting being more effective than say at 100mph, physics wise in the real world I mean.

Hopefully the new Real Draft setting in GT6 is a decent improvement over Weak at least, that's what it'll be set to tonight for ToC so that'll give us a chance to test it out some too hopefully :).

"Not visualising the equine bestowment via it's verbilisation aperture!"

"Every silver lining has a touch of grey.."

DudeTuna

• The Bored of Directors
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #1107 on: December 19, 2013, 03:54:04 PM »

Reminds me of the Like The Wind event I did in Career Mode last night, I was picking up a good 10-15mph (not sure what that is in kilometers though) above the car's top speed in clean air.  Would have been more but I was limited by lack of gear, think I went from about 240mph up to 255mph, or maybe more even, in the Anniversary LMP car (with the big turbo) while drafting the Veyron that passed me on the straight at Route X.

I assume offline they use the Strong draft setting though because it seems like you can pick up the effect from a country mile away, definitely seems to be amplified at higher speeds too which in some ways I think you would expect though because isn't that what really limits cars like the Veyron after a certain point.  The soupy nature of undisrupted air makes it harder to accelerate beyond a certain speed so if you're doing over 200mph+ I could see drafting being more effective than say at 100mph, physics wise in the real world I mean.

Hopefully the new Real Draft setting in GT6 is a decent improvement over Weak at least, that's what it'll be set to tonight for ToC so that'll give us a chance to test it out some too hopefully :).

1 kilo equals 2.2 pounds.  

I managed the first break the wind race with the AE Vett maxed out. It was difficult, but also got some sort of David vs Goliath trophy out that. :) Sorry correction that trophy came from the Historic Monaco race where I still had to use a carp car.  ^-^

« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 03:59:05 PM by DudeTuna »

nosoks

• The Bored of Directors
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #1108 on: December 19, 2013, 04:02:11 PM »

1 kilo equals 2.2 pounds. 

and 1 mile equals 1.6 kilometres

also... 69=181
If everyone follows rule #1 we'd need no other rules
Rule #1 = Pay attention

GoesTuna11

• The Bored of Directors
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #1109 on: December 19, 2013, 06:11:35 PM »

Anyone want to do some slipstream testing tonight?
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 159   Go Up