SupaTunaGT

• May 06, 2024, 06:40:34 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

On Tuesday Nights join TheHotstepper for "Tuneless Tuesdays" (TuTu for short)

Thursday Night is "A Touch of Class" night; sponsored by Feldynn...

Check out the Career in a Year Friday nights 9pm eastern

Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 159   Go Down

Author Topic: Let's talk about Six, baby.  (Read 148413 times)

dlrws6

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Southern Bluefin Tuna
Re: Let's talk about Six, baby.
« Reply #1110 on: December 20, 2013, 12:36:07 PM »

I have not tried the real draft option but with what has been said I have to agree and disagree.

In Nascar the cars do receive a pretty big jump in speeds.  With the exception of 2013 a single Nascar car running around Daytona the last few years would top our around 189mph. But during race (drafting) conditions the cars would pick up 15 to 20 mph. Usually the more cars the faster.

I think it’s necessary to look more at the cars that are being used to draft.  Nascar cars are basically brick shaped bullets. Designed for the purpose of drafting.  On the other hand F1 and Le Mans cars drafting is not necessarily the goal, instead its maximizing corning speeds through aero downforce while minimizing drag on the straights. These cars also tend to create a lot of turbulence up close making it difficult to draft up close like a Nascar car can.

Even looking back at Indy in 2013. They had a record number of passes and based on the aero package designed for the DW12 car. Drivers were able to get massive drafts from a good distance back from the lead car.  Which most likely aided in the increase in number of passes.

But it’s not just how the cars speed up in the draft.  I believe its Darrell Waltrip that is always fond of saying that if you can see a car in front of you, you’re getting some draft off of it.  Or a little older the now defunct IROC series.  The first year they used the Trans Am body work all the drivers complained that the cars were too slick and did not provide a big enough hole for a draft that would allow the cars to suck up and pass. The following year IROC officials made a small change to the rear spoiler. The small change made the cars suck up more like Nascar cars and became the aero package that they used the remaining 4 years of their existence.

To me it’s all a matter of personal perspective. If anything the game absolutely seems to do wrong, at least in the past, was that the draft seemed to basically work the same for all cars.  The only difference being how the car would react after pulling out to make a pass. And who knows if that difference was truly related to the cars aero dynamic profile or more related to the mechanical power of the vehicle.

Any ways I may be available for testing tonight but I"m limited in car selection.

ChromeTuna

• Global Moderator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
  • Chrome will get you home.
« Reply #1111 on: December 20, 2013, 01:22:29 PM »

Awesome info there dlr. :tu

Not that my personal experience will help this at all, but I'll share it anyway. I use to make trips to Atlanta at least once a month, when my parents lived there, so I would spends hours on the interstate. To entertain myself I would sometimes find a willing individual that would allow me to draft off them, or vice versa. On one occasion I was behind an 18 wheeler running 90-95mph. I was in a very low Toyota pickup, with aftermarket airdam, but I also had a bug guard on the hood. The suction from the truck was literally pulling me along, and the bug guard would actually blow forward, all the while running at only part throttle. I was dangerously close to this truck while doing this, but it was cool to see the effects of drafting. On another occasion, I drafted with a guy in a Maxima for two hours running 100+mph. Definitely not as noticeable of a pull coming off the car, compared to the truck. Fortunately never got a ticket or in a wreck, and people around Atlanta are freaking insane on the highway.
"Life is hard, when you're delicious."

GoesTuna11

• The Bored of Directors
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #1112 on: December 20, 2013, 02:09:41 PM »

There is no doubt that the draft is important and powerful but in GT5 you would see some pretty absurd things that you don't see in actual motorsport.  Like a guy in the back at DSS slingshoting past everyone like they are standing still. Or absolutely massive increases in speed down the Mulsanne stretch.

dlrws6, do you have a source for your numbers?  I'm having troubles finding numbers anywhere.

TheHotstepper

• Global Moderator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
  • HaTUNA Matata
    • Classic Car Weekly
« Reply #1113 on: December 20, 2013, 03:28:24 PM »

Awesome info there dlr.

Not that my personal experience will help this at all, but I'll share it anyway. I use to make trips to Atlanta at least once a month, when my parents lived there, so I would spends hours on the interstate. To entertain myself I would sometimes find a willing individual that would allow me to draft off them, or vice versa. On one occasion I was behind an 18 wheeler running 90-95mph. I was in a very low Toyota pickup, with aftermarket airdam, but I also had a bug guard on the hood. The suction from the truck was literally pulling me along, and the bug guard would actually blow forward, all the while running at only part throttle. I was dangerously close to this truck while doing this, but it was cool to see the effects of drafting. On another occasion, I drafted with a guy in a Maxima for two hours running 100+mph. Definitely not as noticeable of a pull coming off the car, compared to the truck. Fortunately never got a ticket or in a wreck, and people around Atlanta are freaking insane on the highway.

Wait a second... how do you recognize a willing individual that will allow you to draft off them at 100 mph?? Good lord! That poor bastard in the Maxima was probably just trying to get away from the hitman in the slammed Toyota pickup that his ex-wife had hired to kill him on his way home from work!

LooneyTuna

• The Bored of Directors
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
  • One good turn deserves another. >-)))>
« Reply #1114 on: December 20, 2013, 03:29:21 PM »

Awesome info there dlr.

Wait a second... how do you recognize a willing individual that will allow you to draft off them at 100 mph?? Good lord! That poor bastard in the Maxima was probably just trying to get away from the hitman in the slammed Toyota pickup that his ex-wife had hired to kill him on his way home from work!

LOL. I was wondering that as well.
Dad is my co-pilot    Have you driven a 4rd lately?

ChromeTuna

• Global Moderator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
  • Chrome will get you home.
« Reply #1115 on: December 20, 2013, 03:40:45 PM »

Awesome info there dlr.

:lmao

It was easier than you think, and this was a really long time ago, I doubt I could getaway with that stuff nowadays.
"Life is hard, when you're delicious."

DudeTuna

• The Bored of Directors
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #1116 on: December 20, 2013, 04:22:13 PM »

One thing I have noticed in 6 when drafting is how much more front grip I lose now.

Feldynn

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #1117 on: December 20, 2013, 04:28:32 PM »

We had the draft set to "Real" last night at ToC, granted there was no actual proper scienterrific testing going on (that I know of lol) but for what it's worth it didn't seem to me like drafting made much of a big difference in speed like it did before on the Weak.  Of course we were using 395PP Miatas at Brands Hatch so there wasn't a lot of high speed or long straight bits to work with but at the speeds we were running I thought it was pretty good new setting.

"Not visualising the equine bestowment via it's verbilisation aperture!"

"Every silver lining has a touch of grey.."

dlrws6

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Southern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #1118 on: December 20, 2013, 06:45:40 PM »

Its a challenge finding race data. Which seems weird given the availability of information these days.  Here are a few links.  Most are videos though. Basically to learn about this stuff, you gotta watch and watch a lot. (about 30 years myself)

Nascar numbers

http://www.racing-reference.info/race/2011-01/W

2011 Winter Testing at Daytona.  This is after they slowed the cars down.

Daytona Testing Day 1 (MWR teammates drafting each others)

a little bit of the race for fun.

2011 Daytona 500 - Trevor Bayne Wins - Final Laps - HD

2013 Indy car stats (I don't trust Wikis but it matches up with my memory of watching the race.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013_Indianapolis_500

Race Highlights

2013 Indy 500 Race Highlights

Also a great book about IMSA GTP with info about most of the cars from the drivers and engineers.  Lots of stuff about downforce vs. drag.

http://books.google.com/books/about/Inside_IMSA_s_Legendary_GTP_Race_Cars.html?id=tPnXCAmIKwEC

Finally and again wiki (sorry) a blurb on drafting.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drafting_(aerodynamics)

I have other web sites, dvd and book info for various series, events etc.  Research is kinda my hobby and, although not automotive related, also my career.

GoesTuna11

• The Bored of Directors
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #1119 on: December 20, 2013, 07:15:05 PM »

Thanks, I was checking my iRacing stats.  I'm about 2 seconds a lap faster with someone drafting behind me at Talledega in a Gen 6 NASCAR in iRacing.   That's about 4% faster.  It's very hard for one car to pass another.  In one race, I had the lead for the entire race with one guy working behind me.  He just managed to barely beat me out at the finish line and that was probably because I didn't really take the proper line.  That would have been an automatic win in GT.  I wonder if one of the flaws in GT is that the front car doesn't get benefit from the draft.

Wiz

• Tech
  • Administrator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #1120 on: December 21, 2013, 06:28:52 PM »

Anyone else have a MASSIVE dead zone in the X2014 Juniors?

GrumpyTuna

• The Bored of Directors
  • Southern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #1121 on: December 21, 2013, 07:32:49 PM »

Anyone else have a MASSIVE dead zone in the X2014 Juniors?

Yes it was massive! I thought my wheel was crapping out on me! Though it seemed to me one of the races was worse than the others.

Boston77Bruins

• The Bored of Directors
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
  • BLEEDS BLACK AND GOLD
« Reply #1122 on: December 21, 2013, 09:53:17 PM »

Dear Rain Masters Races, please, suck my balls.  ;D  Those races have been my biggest challenge to date.  After a near 5 hours, I have the golds.

Happy to know I wasn't the only one with the X2014 issues.  I unplugged all the wheel wires and USB adapters last night looking for a solution.  What's the word from controller users?  Do you guys have that GIANT dead spot?

BakedTuna

• Administrator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #1123 on: December 21, 2013, 11:10:13 PM »

Was a teerible dead spot til I changed front and rear toe now it is just a realy bad dead spot.

GoesTuna11

• The Bored of Directors
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #1124 on: December 22, 2013, 12:41:29 AM »

Dear Rain Masters Races, please, suck my balls.  ;D  Those races have been my biggest challenge to date.  After a near 5 hours, I have the golds.

Happy to know I wasn't the only one with the X2014 issues.  I unplugged all the wheel wires and USB adapters last night looking for a solution.  What's the word from controller users?  Do you guys have that GIANT dead spot?

One thing that really helps with the rain series is that the "wet" line really works.  Drive a little bit off line where the track is less worn, you have more grip.   It's a nice touch by PD.  Another thing that helps with the rain races is that you never have to use full wets.
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 159   Go Up