• May 06, 2024, 05:53:58 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to our new HOME!!!

These ARE the TUNAs you seek...

CHECK OUT our site, BECOME a member, JOIN our "EVNETS", and RACE with us...

Pages: 1 ... 90 91 [92] 93 94 ... 159   Go Down

Author Topic: Let's talk about Six, baby.  (Read 148438 times)

dlrws6

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Southern Bluefin Tuna
Re: Let's talk about Six, baby.
« Reply #1365 on: January 28, 2014, 12:49:01 PM »

I can also post what I have from 1.03.  and Also a caveat for those tire testing.  Do long runs. 4 or 5 laps is not enough to see the real effect of the issue even with very fast tire wear.  I would recommend 7 to 10 laps on the very fast setting and adjust properly for the other wear settings.

I'll post evidence later but basically without the long run you won't see the true effect.  The tire wear indicators are simply not detailed enough.  With shorter runs it can look and feel almost like there is nothing wrong.

I also may expand my research.  I'd like to see the impact of different tires and different wheel sizes on the glitch, if any, as well as their general affect on the performance of the car.

I may end up starting tonight.  Bad weather is heading our way, so other than a quick trip to Wally World I'm going home where its dry and warm.

RickS95

• The Bored of Directors
  • Bigeye Tuna
« Reply #1366 on: January 28, 2014, 02:59:46 PM »

I've got a question about the 'camber bug' or just camber in particular. 

In Prologue and GT5, I cannot recall any tune where the rear camber was more than the front camber.  Hey once told me that whatever number he put up front, he used half of that in the back.  He may adjust it incrementally after that, but generally speaking, his back number was set at roughly half the front number.

I've noticed before, but never really thought about it til the other day when I passed an Infiniti G35 Coupe on my way home from work.  The front tires of the Infiniti were seemingly pointed straight up and down, I'm guessing a camber figure of close to nothing.  However, the rear tires were clearly pointed out from the car from top to bottom (the top of the tire was closer to the car than the bottom of the car), in my eyes, something of an obvious camber setting, for sake of argument, let's call it 2.0.

I can't recall in any tune I've ever used or even seen, where I saw the rear camber set higher than the front camber, which is what I typically see on the road every day.

With no racing background whatsoever, I'm a bit confused by this.  I realize cars are set for safety on the roads and cars that race can be modified for specific tracks, so I ask you racing people, do you set up your cars with more camber in the front, like we normally have done in the GT game, or with more camber in the back, like you see on some sporty-ish model cars on the roads every day?

With this question in mind, I now wonder if I've just been seeing shit wrong all these years, or if there is an advantage in racing to have more camber in the front, or if PD has shit backward again.

Any help would be great.

GoesTuna11

• The Bored of Directors
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #1367 on: January 28, 2014, 04:10:39 PM »

I've got a question about the 'camber bug' or just camber in particular. 

In Prologue and GT5, I cannot recall any tune where the rear camber was more than the front camber.  Hey once told me that whatever number he put up front, he used half of that in the back.  He may adjust it incrementally after that, but generally speaking, his back number was set at roughly half the front number.

I've noticed before, but never really thought about it til the other day when I passed an Infiniti G35 Coupe on my way home from work.  The front tires of the Infiniti were seemingly pointed straight up and down, I'm guessing a camber figure of close to nothing.  However, the rear tires were clearly pointed out from the car from top to bottom (the top of the tire was closer to the car than the bottom of the car), in my eyes, something of an obvious camber setting, for sake of argument, let's call it 2.0.

I can't recall in any tune I've ever used or even seen, where I saw the rear camber set higher than the front camber, which is what I typically see on the road every day.

With no racing background whatsoever, I'm a bit confused by this.  I realize cars are set for safety on the roads and cars that race can be modified for specific tracks, so I ask you racing people, do you set up your cars with more camber in the front, like we normally have done in the GT game, or with more camber in the back, like you see on some sporty-ish model cars on the roads every day?

With this question in mind, I now wonder if I've just been seeing shit wrong all these years, or if there is an advantage in racing to have more camber in the front, or if PD has shit backward again.

Any help would be great.

Camber is all about maximizing the tire contact patch when it is needed most.  On a rear-drive racing car, you want the higher camber on the front so when you get weight transfer during cornering the contact patch is increased.  There is going to be some optimum depending on the corners of the track.  However, the front wheels are also needed during heavy braking.  Higher camber will decrease the contact patch while going in a straight line so braking could be compromised.  The rear wheels need to be able to help turn the car as well as accelerate the car so higher camber is needed for cornering and lower camber is needed for accelerating.  I would suspect that the rears need less camber than the fronts since the fronts are doing the actual steering.

Road cars are a different story.  Even performance cars spend so little time cornering hard that camber will mostly just increase tire wear.  I don't know why the G35 would have camber on the rear unless they thought it looked cool or wanted more wheel spin with acceleration.

RickS95

• The Bored of Directors
  • Bigeye Tuna
« Reply #1368 on: January 28, 2014, 04:13:17 PM »

What you say makes sense, but I see cars every day where it's noticeable that the rears are leaning far more than the fronts.  What's weird, though, is I see the opposite on some trucks and Jeeps. 

RickS95

• The Bored of Directors
  • Bigeye Tuna
« Reply #1369 on: January 28, 2014, 04:17:44 PM »

In thinking more and more about what you said, GT11, as I sit here and my desk at work and not do anything, the more and more I think, what you said about the appearance of the car is starting to make the most sense.  My Z06 doesn't seem to have much difference, if any, between the front and rear camber.  Same thing with a Viper I recently saw.  Same thing with the Ferrari my boss' friend owns. 

Maybe the fake racy cars (the Infiniti Coupe) do it strictly for looks while the really racy cars (Corvette, Viper, etc) just leave their shit alone.

Feldynn

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #1370 on: January 28, 2014, 05:24:07 PM »

I seem to recall back in the day seeing some or more front-wheel drive Touring Cars in the BTCC using more rear camber than front, might have been for specific tracks or conditions though.

Also I think from reading stuff on the GT Planet photo forums there is some kind of trend or fashion thing that involves adding camber to achieve a certain look, I want to say it's called "stance" or something like that but I may be wrong.  In fact I probably am, I'm wrong a lot :).

"Not visualising the equine bestowment via it's verbilisation aperture!"

"Every silver lining has a touch of grey.."

MasterGT

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #1371 on: January 28, 2014, 05:30:39 PM »

I don't know why the G35 would have camber on the rear unless they thought it looked cool or wanted more wheel spin with acceleration.

Bingo.

VW Beetles should have a bit of positive camber, but GT doesn't allow that.

Unless they know what they are doing. Brands Hatch 2012.

« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 05:32:33 PM by MasterGT »

ChromeTuna

• Global Moderator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
  • Chrome will get you home.
« Reply #1372 on: January 28, 2014, 05:37:29 PM »

Rick, stop talking about camber, and get on the Corvette/DRC seasonal. That's got your name all over it.  :)

I enjoyed that one myself, but the Bathurst one is just too frustrating to try and get my time down. Got lucky on my MMX account with it's time, but I'm almost a second off, with this account. Tried to beat it a few times, but said :fuck it. Too damn many barrier hits.
"Life is hard, when you're delicious."

nosoks

• The Bored of Directors
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #1373 on: January 28, 2014, 05:50:18 PM »

re camber: I also use the 2x front from rear. May have got that from Hey or another tuna. Still using that formula in 6

re seasonals: had more fun at Bathurst. Did NOT like that Vette and always struggle at DRoC
If everyone follows rule #1 we'd need no other rules
Rule #1 = Pay attention

DudeTuna

• The Bored of Directors
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #1374 on: January 28, 2014, 05:53:17 PM »

Wiz

• Tech
  • Administrator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #1375 on: January 28, 2014, 07:07:49 PM »

My answer to the camber question would be.....  depends on the drivetrain.

I'll do some crazy shit with FF and 4WD to get them to rotate better.  Crazy toe settings on those drivetrains as well.

MasterGT

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #1376 on: January 28, 2014, 08:33:30 PM »

The 2:1 ratio was the default ratio for GT 1-4, I think.

TheHotstepper

• Global Moderator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
  • HaTUNA Matata
    • Classic Car Weekly
« Reply #1377 on: January 28, 2014, 08:44:59 PM »

I think one of my favorite aspects of this game is that it was someone's job to sit there and manually enter stereotypical last names for a big list of countries that would be given a random first letter and become the AI opponents in Aspec.

Like some guy was at a desk with a piece of paper that said "Mexico" at the top and he had to come up with 20 last names...

"Uhh... Hernandez. Uh, Rodriguez and erm, Fernandez..." and on and on across the globe.

I want that gig.

GoesTuna11

• The Bored of Directors
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #1378 on: January 28, 2014, 11:33:05 PM »

Apparently you can change your tires to racing softs for the Vettel Standard challenge.

ChromeTuna

• Global Moderator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
  • Chrome will get you home.
« Reply #1379 on: January 29, 2014, 06:40:38 AM »

Apparently you can change your tires to racing softs for the Vettel Standard challenge.

Can you change the car to something driveable?  Stuff happens way too fast for me.
"Life is hard, when you're delicious."
Pages: 1 ... 90 91 [92] 93 94 ... 159   Go Up