• May 01, 2024, 09:57:14 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to our new HOME!!!

These ARE the TUNAs you seek...

CHECK OUT our site, BECOME a member, JOIN our "EVNETS", and RACE with us...

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Track Analysis: Silverstone  (Read 2866 times)

MX5#98

• SOLITARY Confinement
  • Southern Bluefin Tuna
Track Analysis: Silverstone
« on: July 03, 2013, 06:25:06 AM »

Track:

Info:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silverstone_Circuit

Corner Names:

Club
Abbey
Arena
Bridge
Priory
Brooklands
Luffield
Woodcote
Copse
Maggots
Becketts
Chapel
Stowe
Vale

Tuna's Best Times:

TBD
PSN ID: MX5_Racer_69
iRacing: Michael Schaefer2

MX5#98

• SOLITARY Confinement
  • Southern Bluefin Tuna
Re: Track Analysis: Silverstone
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2013, 06:46:47 AM »

So, take this with a grain of salt, because I haven't verified if that track map matches our version of the track in the game, and I've yet to complete a single full lap on this track yet. But here is a complete idiot's initial assessment of the track:

Looks like the longest straights are Hangar Straight, National Pits Straight and International Pits Straight. That means that the likely most important corners on the track for taking the biggest bite out of your track times is going to be 13/14, 18 and 7/8. If 14 is WFO, then 13 becomes the most important. If 8 is WFO, then 7 takes priority of the two.

More later.

Edit: Wellington Straight may be longer than International.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2013, 06:50:29 AM by MX5#98 »

Turbo-Tuna

• The Bored of Directors
  • Bigeye Tuna
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2013, 07:07:25 AM »

I would say that 3/4 is pretty important too. Most of the important corners depend on the previous corner.
Corner 4 is easier if you master corner 3
Corner 6 is easier if you get 6 just right. (corner 8 was WFO)
Corner 10 shouldn't really be treated like a corner...just a set up for corner 11, which if taken too fast screws corner 12, which in turn screws corner 13 (14 was WFO) If you don't over do corner 11, the next to corners can be smooth and quick  with good exit speed.
Corner 17 is easier you get corner 16 just right...kind of like a slow chicane

That's my analysis. I'm sure others have insight as well

MX5#98

• SOLITARY Confinement
  • Southern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2013, 07:11:03 AM »

Awesome. Thanks Turbo. Hope others chime in as well. The thing about 3/4, based on what I remember from just poking around in the first section time trial is that there is a small amount of time to be made here, but a huge potential for time loss if you mess it up. I'm going to assume that slow in fast out is going to be key and getting your car in position for the wind out after 4 and power on through 5. But again, I'm basing this on almost no information at this point, lol.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2013, 07:14:12 AM by MX5#98 »

MX5#98

• SOLITARY Confinement
  • Southern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2013, 07:39:05 AM »

Is it possible to double apex 7 and gain any time there?

Turbo-Tuna

• The Bored of Directors
  • Bigeye Tuna
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2013, 08:04:35 AM »

I think you're right about 3/4, also if you turn in even a bit too early it's jeopardized big time...maybe that's my style though.

Corner 7 I'm sure I could improve. I think I treat it a bit like the final corner of Fuji. Slow a bit for the first part and slow again so I can get on then throttle for the apex.

My time was 2'22.6XX, I think

TheHotstepper

• Global Moderator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
  • HaTUNA Matata
    • Classic Car Weekly
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2013, 09:49:14 AM »

Silverstone has the dumbest/most pretentious corner names of any track ever. I loathe it for that reason alone.

RickS95

• The Bored of Directors
  • Bigeye Tuna
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2013, 10:23:56 AM »

I tried to help you guys out.  I continued to mention that you should all be playing the Real Racing 3 app.  It's got a variety of Silverstone layouts on it.  Had everyone listened, you'd already know the track and where the pitfalls are. 

All that said, it didn't help me much as I was 5000th in the world.   

CharlieTuna

• Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2013, 12:03:53 PM »

Kinda like "Maggots", sounds like if you die you'll rot...

MX5#98

• SOLITARY Confinement
  • Southern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2013, 12:30:11 PM »

Anyone know the history behind the corner names?

Feldynn

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2013, 12:55:29 PM »

Anyone know the history behind the corner names?

I had a vague idea that they were all related to local features and landmarks around the place but I wasn't sure so I found this Daily Mail article that has a nice explaination :).

Silverstone uncovered! The meanings behind the circuit's weird and wonderful names

By Sportsmail Reporter
UPDATED: 06:48 EST, 7 July 2011

Silverstone is famed for the unusual names given to the corners that are synonymous with the venue. Here, Sportsmail gives the lowdown on the circuit and the meaning behind those weird and wonderful names, with Silverstone itself taken from the early English word for 'wooded area'.

The first is Copse, quite simply derived from a small wood which used to sit adjacent to this corner, a right-hander that is taken flat out at 180mph, exiting at 165mph.

Then come the sweeping Maggots, Becketts and Chapel Curves. The former is taken from Maggots Moor, and the latter two from the ruins of the Chapel of St Thomas a Beckett, through which the drivers keep their foot to the floor at 180mph.
Get the party started: The Red Bulls lead the way at the start of the 2010 British Grand Prix

Get the party started: The Red Bulls lead the way at the start of the 2010 British Grand Prix

It is then on into Hangar Straight, courtesy of the two aircraft hangars that originally stood next to it, which leads into the right-hander at Stowe, derived from the famous Stowe School to the south of the circuit.

The drivers finally hit their first braking zone at Club Corner, after the RAC club in Pall Mall, prior to taking on Abbey, which lies near the site of the ancient Luffield Abbey.

The old circuit used to take in Bridge and Priory, but now heads up through Farm Curve, a long left-hander simply taken from the farm close by.

After Farm comes the right-hander of Village Corner that honours Silverstone village, swiftly followed by The Loop, for no other reason than it slowly loops round to the left.

The cars will then again gather momentum as they head through the subsequent left-hander of Aintree Corner in commemoration of the old Aintree circuit where the race was staged in 1955, 1957, 1959, 1961 and 1962.

That leads into Wellington Straight, named after the aircraft based at Silverstone during World War II, in particular as the straight is one of the old runways.

Out of Wellington Straight, the new section rejoins the old track at Brooklands, which is in homage to the world's first purpose-built motor racing circuit in Surrey which opened in 1907, and which staged the British Grand Prix in 1926 and 1927.

That leads into Luffield, the name of a village that once existed on the Northamptonshire/Buckinghamshire border, and finally into Woodcote, after the location of the RAC club in Surrey.

"Not visualising the equine bestowment via it's verbilisation aperture!"

"Every silver lining has a touch of grey.."

MX5#98

• SOLITARY Confinement
  • Southern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2013, 01:03:04 PM »

That's just awesome. Thanks Feldyn.

CharlieTuna

• Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2013, 01:18:01 PM »

Stephen Hawking's take on Silverstone!

Spoiler for Hiden:
Made you look...  AGAIN!

SlyTuna

• The Bored of Directors
  • Atlantic Bluefin Tuna
  • Raccoons are cool.
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2013, 06:44:58 PM »

I hate that they moved the start finish line.... WTF Bernie/FIA? Cant you just leave a track alone with SOME dignity?

Wiz

• Tech
  • Administrator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2013, 11:49:51 AM »

Here's my attempt at a track guide.  It's probably not very good as my writing style sucks ass but hopefully it'll help someone.

I freely admit that I started phoning it in towards the end.  I felt I was just repeating myself a lot and my brain gave up a bit.  I may go back and revise it at some point.  I'll bump the thread if I do.  If I get really ambitious, I may add pictures too.

Good luck! :)

Turn 1 (Abbey)
Gear -  4th
Braking point -  Just a hair before the first shadow on the track
Strategy -  Bring the car over all the way to the left so that your left wheels are on the rumble strip.  Punch the brakes hard for a split second and release.  Downshift to 4th.  Feather the brake a bit if you need to.  Let the car slide a bit.  Cut the inside as much as possible.  Let your speed push you to the outside on exit.  Optimal speed for this corner is 99mph.  If you're hitting it under 95mph, you're losing lots of time here.

Turn 2 (Farm Curve)
Gear -  5th
Braking point -  None/WFO
Strategy -  Stay to the inside as much as possible.  Let your speed carry you to the outside.

Turn 3 (Village?)
Gear -  2nd
Braking point -  Just past the white sign on the left side of the track.  Looks to be white paint in the grass just past that white sign.  Use this paint as your braking point.
Strategy -  Don't try to get all the way back left here before this corner.  Your speed from the previous corner should have carried you to the outside.  Bring the car back to about the center of the track, maybe slightly left of center.  Get on the brakes hard while simultaneously starting to turn towards the corner.  Just before apex, release brake and let the car slide a bit, cutting the inside as much as possible.  A short shift into 3rd may be beneficial on exit.

Turn 4 (Loop)
Gear - 2nd (With a possible short shift into 3rd.)
Braking point -  Hard to determine.  Haven't found one yet.  Judgement call.
Strategy -  Similar to the last corner.  Feather the brakes a bit.  Cut the inside as much as possible.  A good, controlled slide is really beneficial here.  This is another corner where a short shift into 3rd may be beneficial on exit.  Though I don't think it's ideal.  Short shifting into 3rd just makes exit easier, possible saving a good first sector.  

Turn 5 (? ? ?)
Gear -  Should be in 4th by the time you get to it.
Strategy -  Cut this to the inside as much as possible.  The penalty is pretty lenient here so you can cut it pretty hard.  Try to make this corner in as straight a line as you can.

Turn 6 (Brooklands)
Gear -  3rd
Braking point - Halfway point from the time the rumble strip starts to the white sign.
Strategy -  This corner is a toughie.  Get your right wheels just barely on the rumble strip.  Hit the brakes hard and ride them pretty much all the way to apex, slowly letting up on the brakes as you get closer to apex.  I think there's a tendency to drop down to 2nd gear here.  Only do so if you missed your braking point and need the car to rotate better.

Turn 7 (Luffield)
Gear -  2nd with an extreme short shift into 3rd
Strategy -  Feather the brakes a bit as you start your turn in.  Let the car coast for a bit, hugging the inside as much as you can.  It's ok if you push to the outside a bit.  Main goal with this one is to get the car rotated as best you can for exit.  Once you're ready to hit the gas, SHIFT INTO 3RD IMMEDIATELY.  Do not try to hit the gas in 2nd here.  Let the car push to the outside rumble strip.  Be careful though, I think the penalty here is a bit strict.

Turn 8 (Woodcote)
Gear -  WFO
Strategy -  Cut the inside as much as you can here.  You can ride the rumble strip on the right pretty hard to make the corner as straight as possible.

Turn 9  (Copse)
Gear -  4th
Braking point -  Use the alternating red and white wall on the right.  About the halfway point of the last full white pane of the wall.
Strategy -  This corner is hard as fuck to get right consistently.  Hit the brakes hard and slowly release them as you start your turn in.  Release the brakes completely and let the car slide a little through apex.  Cut the inside as much as possible.  Let your speed carry you to the outside after apex.  Be careful here too, as I think the penalty is strict here as well.

Turn 10 (Maggotts)
Gear -  5th with an immediate downshift to 4th
Braking point -  Roughly the middle point of the raised kerb.
Strategy -  Set this one up by slowly moving your car to the left really early on the entry straight.  Punch the brakes hard and release, setting yourself up for the next turn.

Turn 11 (Aintree)
Gear -  4th
Braking point -  None.  You should be coasting/sliding from the last corner.
Strategy -  Come in sliding from the last corner.  You can cut the inside pretty hard here, the penalty is quite lenient.  Just past apex get back on the gas a bit and let the car push to the outside.

Turn 12 (Becketts)
Gear -  4th
Braking point - Hard to determine.  Haven't found one yet.  Judgement call.
Strategy -  There's a tendency to downshift to 3rd here.  Don't.  Keep it in 4th.  Feather the brakes a bit.  Cut the inside here as much as possible.  Don't be afraid to use the "light green" painted area on the inside.  It's not a penalty.  I'm usually coasting a bit here as well.

Turn 13 (Becketts still?)
Gear - 3rd (Possible short shift to 4th on exit)
Strategy -  After exit of last corner, immediately start moving to the right here.  Feather the brakes a bit.  Again, don't be afraid to use the "light green" painted area on the inside.  Once past apex, short shifting into 4th might be a good idea.  I don't think it's ideal, but because it's easier to get on the gas in 4th, it might save a good lap for you as coming out in 3rd can be tricky.

Turn 14 (Chapel Curve)
Gear -  4th
Strategy -  Go fast.  Cut it as straight as possible.  BE CAREFUL though as I think this is the most strict penalty on the track.

Turn 15 (Stowe)
Gear - 3rd
Braking point - White paint in the grass just beyond the white sign on the left.  Use this paint line as your brake marker.
Strategy -  This corner is really hard to get right.  Brake hard and keep on em hard for a while.  Slowly start to release while simultaneously starting to move to the inside.  Release brakes completely and slide just a bit into the apex.  Once through, this is another corner that short shifting into 4th may be a good idea.

Turn 16 (Sucky?)
Gear - 2nd
Braking point -  Hard to determine.  If I had to guess, about 10 to 15 feet before the white sign on the right side.
Strategy -  Brake hard.  Trail brake while starting your move to the inside.  Get the car rotated as much as possible.  Slide a bit if you can.  Stay in 2nd after exit.  Short shifting into 3rd doesn't work here I don't think.

Turn 17 (Club?)
Gear -  2nd on entry.  Extreme short shift into 3rd on apex/exit.
Braking point - None really.  Tap the brakes if your car is unsettled from the last corner.
Strategy -  Extremely early short shift into 3rd right at apex or possible even a little before it.

Turn 18  (? ? ?)
Gear -  Should be in 4th by now from last corners exit.
Strategy -  Straighten it out as much as possible.  Let the car push to the outside.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2013, 11:52:11 AM by TunaWiz »
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up