• May 06, 2024, 12:18:43 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to our new HOME!!!

These ARE the TUNAs you seek...

CHECK OUT our site, BECOME a member, JOIN our "EVNETS", and RACE with us...

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 68   Go Down

Author Topic: Project CARS General Discussion  (Read 74718 times)

Feldynn

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
Re: Project CARS
« Reply #195 on: September 21, 2012, 11:08:42 AM »

I think there will always be lots people not willing to jump through the hoops of PC gaming. I currently have no patience - or funds - for it. Regardless of how the quality compares, I doubt I'd move away from consoles for gaming. I'll likely be running a Sony system until a noticeably better console is available.

I'm a former PC gamer. I enjoyed building PC's and tweaking the system for maximum performance. I could not do or afford both PC and Console so I made my choice with a PS3. I purchased my PS3 4 years ago and I think I have another year or 2 before I need to think about buying a ps4.

There are advantages and disadvantages for both. The PC definitely requires more time and money though.

Cheers.

:ditto 

In fact I still am PC gamer to a degree (and have gamed on computers more so than consoles since the early 80s) but I've never had the patience, desire or probably money to be on the bleeding edge of the tech curve with PCs. 

While I am actually considering some "small" upgrades to my system that may result in pCars running on it (though that would be more happy coinkydink than main goal) I'll be getting it on the PS3 for sure unless it turns out to be nothing more than a polished turd, but so far that doesn't seem likely.

"Not visualising the equine bestowment via it's verbilisation aperture!"

"Every silver lining has a touch of grey.."

GoesTuna11

• The Bored of Directors
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #196 on: September 21, 2012, 11:23:49 AM »

I think there will always be lots people not willing to jump through the hoops of PC gaming. I currently have no patience - or funds - for it. Regardless of how the quality compares, I doubt I'd move away from consoles for gaming. I'll likely be running a Sony system until a noticeably better console is available.

I'm a former PC gamer. I enjoyed building PC's and tweaking the system for maximum performance. I could not do or afford both PC and Console so I made my choice with a PS3. I purchased my PS3 4 years ago and I think I have another year or 2 before I need to think about buying a ps4.

There are advantages and disadvantages for both. The PC definitely requires more time and money though.

Cheers.

I was a former PC gamer but then started buying laptops because of school.  Not the best for gaming.  Bought the ps3 so I could just switch it on and play on my hometheatre system.  iRacing has just been too good and really fills a void for me: organized series racing with a flexible schedule at times that I can play.  So I've updated my computer to play it.  It has been a hassle though.  Stupid problems with usb3, windows activiation, bizarre defaults on pc games.  Even just figuring out what components to buy.  If I bought an equivalent prebuilt system, it would have cost me 50% more.  Luckily with racing games there isn't the constant pressure to upgrade.  My current system should be good to play iracing, pcars and rfactor 2 for a few years at least.  Over all, it has been worth it.  Running triple screens (even my hacked version) is really cool.

EX_stream_tuna

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
    • GT6 Photomode Album @ Flikr.com
« Reply #197 on: September 21, 2012, 01:14:32 PM »

that's good to hear that many of you will stick with the PS3.

if I had the money, I'd go the PC route though, as mine is already in dire need of replacement, and there are other things I'd like to be able to do with it other than gaming.  video processing, and music recording, namely, though my  current pc has done a fine job of music recording/editing, considering.

But if I don't get a new one in time, I'll probably get the PS3 version.

I have a local friend from High School who was the one who turned me on to GT3, which was my first GT.  He played GT4 but moved to PC gaming before GT5 came out and never owned a PS3.  It would be really nice if pCars for the PC got him into racing.  He was good but probably not good by the standards of online racing.  But he's a killer gamer at whatever he picks up, so I'm sure his learning curve would be a breeze.

Then I'd not only have online friends playing, but local ones too.  Some of you probably know, it sucks when your friends are hanging out and talking about all these great new games and you're like... "ummm I had a race last night between some really awesome guys and we had a blast"... as they just glaze over and lose interest because they "don't like racing games" or "don't do console gaming"... to those who don't own GT, buy a wheel, or have driving rig set up.  we seem a little "crazy".  ANd they're probabyl right ;)

Nuther question for those who have the demos and stuff already.  Are you recording these videos as you play?  Your PC's are capable of doing the recording and running the game at the same time?  Or are you using a replay mode?  I wonder if those two modes tax the system any differently?

That's another huge advantage... not needing any special equipment to do recording of races...

Wiz

• Tech
  • Administrator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #198 on: September 21, 2012, 02:00:24 PM »

Nuther question for those who have the demos and stuff already.  Are you recording these videos as you play?  Your PC's are capable of doing the recording and running the game at the same time?  Or are you using a replay mode?  I wonder if those two modes tax the system any differently?

That's another huge advantage... not needing any special equipment to do recording of races...

Though I'm sure there are many ways to do it, I use a program called Fraps. http://fraps.com/

From the Fraps homepage...

"Fraps is a universal Windows application that can be used with games using DirectX or OpenGL graphic technology.  In its current form Fraps performs many tasks and can best be described as:

Benchmarking Software - Show how many Frames Per Second (FPS) you are getting in a corner of your screen.  Perform custom benchmarks and measure the frame rate between any two points.  Save the statistics out to disk and use them for your own reviews and applications.

Screen Capture Software - Take a screenshot with the press of a key!  There's no need to paste into a paint program every time you want a new shot.  Your screen captures are automatically named and timestamped.

Realtime Video Capture Software - Have you ever wanted to record video while playing your favourite game?  Come join the Machinima revolution!  Throw away the VCR, forget about using a DV cam, game recording has never been this easy!  Fraps can capture audio and video up to 7680x4800 with custom frame rates from 1 to 120 frames per second!"

I literally start fraps, hit F9 to start recording and F9 again when I want the recording to stop.  That's it.  The vids are automatically saved on your hard drive.  I upload to youtube and I'm done.  I can record during gameplay, or start an in-game replay and record that too.  Basically, if the game is launched, fraps will record whatever you're doing with the game, no matter what it may be.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 02:03:01 PM by TunaWiz »

EX_stream_tuna

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
    • GT6 Photomode Album @ Flikr.com
« Reply #199 on: September 21, 2012, 02:15:27 PM »

sounds easy enough.

Im' just amazed because a few years ago getting a PC to record the on-screen action while a game that was using most of its power was sketchy at best.

glad to hear that we're basically beyond that limitation now.

I just really wish PD would make a PC-based replay viewer so that this would be even easier and inexpensive to do with GT5 replays.

CharlieTuna

• Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #200 on: September 21, 2012, 02:27:16 PM »

Being a security geek I think PCs are for computing (and pron of course).  If they were for gaming they'd probably be called PGs.  And then I'd wonder if that meant no pron...

. YMMV

Feldynn

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #201 on: September 21, 2012, 03:26:19 PM »

You do know that the PS3 is :boobs2 compatible right?

"Not visualising the equine bestowment via it's verbilisation aperture!"

"Every silver lining has a touch of grey.."

CharlieTuna

• Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #202 on: September 21, 2012, 07:26:40 PM »

MasterGT

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #203 on: September 22, 2012, 01:25:03 AM »

I can't think of one racing sim that let PC players mix with console players.
There might have been one, but I can't think what it may be.

I do know that when ToCA 3 was out, that the community didn't really mix on Codemaster's forums, either. There was little need or desire to go to the other forum, unless we wanted some sort of hi-res picture or video that they were fond of making. They had problems we didn't have and vice versa.

With pCARS also being available on something like the Wii U, I think this would be even less likely to happen.

GrumpyTuna

• The Bored of Directors
  • Southern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #204 on: September 25, 2012, 10:11:57 AM »

Just watched a video of shifter karts over at gtplanet.    8)If i don't get a PC to play this game i hope the shifter karts are in the console game!

Brindle

« Reply #205 on: September 25, 2012, 02:45:43 PM »

Just watched a video of shifter karts over at gtplanet.    8)If i don't get a PC to play this game i hope the shifter karts are in the console game!

My absolute favorite drive right now.  Nothing like doing 150+ mph in a go-kart.  :)

Wiz

• Tech
  • Administrator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #206 on: October 03, 2012, 10:51:00 AM »

Multiplayer is getting close!  Here's a video of some of the devs & community leaders doing a test run...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDwhCR85C-I&feature=player_embedded#

AgentWD40_FL

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Southern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #207 on: October 03, 2012, 10:56:00 AM »

Now heres a game that has tracks .... wow, I'd never get bored

MasterGT

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #208 on: October 07, 2012, 11:51:33 PM »

Ha! That was one of the tracks I was running around on the other day, in Superstars V8 NC.  ^-^

I was glad to see that the blind chicane at the top of the hill gave him as much trouble as me. :P

Wiz

• Tech
  • Administrator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #209 on: October 19, 2012, 08:13:13 AM »

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 68   Go Up