SupaTunaGT

• May 06, 2024, 03:35:25 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Coming Attractions?

Watch this space for new News as it develops, or...

Check out the "ONLINE EVENTS" thread...

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 68   Go Down

Author Topic: Project CARS General Discussion  (Read 74720 times)

GrumpyTuna

• The Bored of Directors
  • Southern Bluefin Tuna
Re: Project CARS
« Reply #240 on: December 07, 2012, 03:11:37 PM »

Mostly i'm just wanting the cars to sound more real, and not like the perfect sound of GT5!

GoesTuna11

• The Bored of Directors
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #241 on: December 08, 2012, 09:11:19 PM »

especially if you can use logitech wheels on the new xbox.  

Have you read anything to suggest this may be the case?  From everything I've ever read, I'll be pretty surprised if this happens.  

My guess is that they'll get together with Fanatec to come out with an entry level wheel.

No, and I doubt it will happen.  Just thinking of a worst case scenario for PD and Sony.  If MS is first to market with next gen console and a next gen racing game AND allows popular racing wheels, it could entice many people to jump ship.  Buying a new console and wheel is a pretty big investment.  Just needing to buy a new console would be easier to take.

Assuming PD is late to market with GT6 and Sony is late with the PS4, the release of pCars may actually be good for them.  It could keep people happy on the PS3 for a little longer and wait to see what Sony and PD come up with before jumping ship.

Rek

• The Bored of Directors
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
  • "Global Peace Through Deadly Force"
« Reply #242 on: December 11, 2012, 12:37:42 PM »

Below is a link to PS3 screen shots running Pcars. A member of WMD posted these without permission to the linked site.

http://forums.n4g.com/Project-cars-PS3-screen-shots-m1100957.aspx

ChromeTuna

• Global Moderator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
  • Chrome will get you home.
« Reply #243 on: December 11, 2012, 01:29:27 PM »

Those look pretty effin good to me. The rain shots look awesome, with the track debris and all.  8)
"Life is hard, when you're delicious."

Boston77Bruins

• The Bored of Directors
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
  • BLEEDS BLACK AND GOLD
« Reply #244 on: December 11, 2012, 01:56:17 PM »

Those look pretty effin good to me. The rain shots look awesome, with the track debris and all.  8)

:stoopid:

Wow, that is looking good.

MX5#98

• SOLITARY Confinement
  • Southern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #245 on: December 11, 2012, 02:33:17 PM »

That is really looking good. Hope they have a nice selection of cars and not all the cars are super cars. I didn't see the Miata in the car list. That would be a major bummer. Guess I should donate so I can voice that concern. At the very least, I would hope they would include the Spec Miata class of cars for the weekend race enthusiasts.
PSN ID: MX5_Racer_69
iRacing: Michael Schaefer2

Wiz

• Tech
  • Administrator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #246 on: December 11, 2012, 02:53:27 PM »

I'll be very surprised if they ink a deal with Mazda at this point.  I think the closest thing we'll get to a weekend racer are these Ginetta G40 Juniors...  http://www.ginetta.com/cars_g40j

MX5#98

• SOLITARY Confinement
  • Southern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #247 on: December 11, 2012, 03:24:05 PM »

I'll be very surprised if they ink a deal with Mazda at this point.  I think the closest thing we'll get to a weekend racer are these Ginetta G40 Juniors... [/url]

Those look like fun. I could deal with that. Mazda (and all the manufacturers) need to understand that sims like this sell cars. I am a perfect example. I never even thought of buying a Miata until I learned about racing and realized that it was the perfect entry level car to get into racing IRL. Now I'm hanging Mazda banners in my garage and driving a bright shiny red one.   :D

So Mazda ... you know what to do. Love ya.

Boston77Bruins

• The Bored of Directors
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
  • BLEEDS BLACK AND GOLD
« Reply #248 on: December 11, 2012, 03:57:44 PM »

I'll be very surprised if they ink a deal with Mazda at this point.  I think the closest thing we'll get to a weekend racer are these Ginetta G40 Juniors...  http://www.ginetta.com/cars_g40j

If they all have the same numbers its gonna be a deal breaker.

ChromeTuna

• Global Moderator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
  • Chrome will get you home.
« Reply #249 on: December 11, 2012, 08:28:06 PM »

If they all have the same numbers its gonna be a deal breaker.

:lmao
"Life is hard, when you're delicious."

MasterGT

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #250 on: December 11, 2012, 10:05:08 PM »

Today, as part of a bigger message, I told the SCEA office that a lot of GT fans and players are watching / waiting for the console version of pCARS and that some are playing with the dev version now, me included.

If they were not aware of pCARS before, they definitely know about it now. ;)

MX5#98

• SOLITARY Confinement
  • Southern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #251 on: December 11, 2012, 11:00:31 PM »

They would probably be happy to have some load off their servers since this game is making them zero right now.

MX5#98

• SOLITARY Confinement
  • Southern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #252 on: December 12, 2012, 08:24:59 AM »

Ok, I want to throw out an idea, one that I think would make this game the best ever. Anyone here ever hear of an app called "Strava"? It's something that we cyclists use that is like crack cocaine for cyclists. If you haven't seen it before, you can get a preview here: http://www.strava.com.

Here's the basic idea. You take your bike out, fire up the app and hit "Record." Then when you are done, it uploads all the data to a server somewhere. It stores your speed, you GPS location, altitude, acceleration, decelaration, etc. But the part that is really cool is you can create "Segments". When you create a segment, you get to name it. Then, as other riders ride the same segment, it compares their times and creates a leaderboard, aka King of the Mountain (KOM). And if you have any doubts of the crack-like nature of this ... one person has died trying to break someone's record and regain KOM on a segment.

Ok, back to racing. If this game or any game like it allowed you to record segments with your iPhone or Android phone and allowed you to upload them, they could build something into the game to use that data to create personal custom tracks. Ok, I realize that's a lot of work. How's the bang for the buck?

Ok, well, here's where it would get really cool. Us racers could drive out to our local tracks, record it and voila ... we'd have a new race track to race. In a matter of months, every race track in the United States (and most other countries for that matter) could be created, complete with actual distance, changes in altitude, etc. with the accuracy of a GPS. So ... for starters, the hardcore guys would eat this up.

What about the more common average gamer? Well think of the possibilities. A high school student and some of his friends map out the High School parking lot and then battle online for KOM and Fast Times at Ridgemont High!!!

You could setup quarter mile drag tracks. You could ride the loop around DFW and have a Hwy 635 track. Dallas to Austin and back? Obviously there would have to be some limits ... but dang.  

Oh, and one more thing. The guys writing the app would not have to actually build all of this. All they'd have to do is design the interface (the data format, a way to upload that data, and then a process for building tracks from that data). Once they published the API, it would be up to software developers like me to write the app. It'd be fun.

Epic?
« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 08:28:48 AM by MX5_Racer_69 »

GoesTuna11

• The Bored of Directors
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #253 on: December 12, 2012, 10:20:25 AM »

Ok, I want to throw out an idea, one that I think would make this game the best ever. Anyone here ever hear of an app called "Strava"? It's something that we cyclists use that is like crack cocaine for cyclists. If you haven't seen it before, you can get a preview here: http://www.strava.com.

Here's the basic idea. You take your bike out, fire up the app and hit "Record." Then when you are done, it uploads all the data to a server somewhere. It stores your speed, you GPS location, altitude, acceleration, decelaration, etc. But the part that is really cool is you can create "Segments". When you create a segment, you get to name it. Then, as other riders ride the same segment, it compares their times and creates a leaderboard, aka King of the Mountain (KOM). And if you have any doubts of the crack-like nature of this ... one person has died trying to break someone's record and regain KOM on a segment.

Ok, back to racing. If this game or any game like it allowed you to record segments with your iPhone or Android phone and allowed you to upload them, they could build something into the game to use that data to create personal custom tracks. Ok, I realize that's a lot of work. How's the bang for the buck?

Ok, well, here's where it would get really cool. Us racers could drive out to our local tracks, record it and voila ... we'd have a new race track to race. In a matter of months, every race track in the United States (and most other countries for that matter) could be created, complete with actual distance, changes in altitude, etc. with the accuracy of a GPS. So ... for starters, the hardcore guys would eat this up.

What about the more common average gamer? Well think of the possibilities. A high school student and some of his friends map out the High School parking lot and then battle online for KOM and Fast Times at Ridgemont High!!!

You could setup quarter mile drag tracks. You could ride the loop around DFW and have a Hwy 635 track. Dallas to Austin and back? Obviously there would have to be some limits ... but dang.  

Oh, and one more thing. The guys writing the app would not have to actually build all of this. All they'd have to do is design the interface (the data format, a way to upload that data, and then a process for building tracks from that data). Once they published the API, it would be up to software developers like me to write the app. It'd be fun.

Epic?

It's a good idea but it would be tough to implement.  First, I don't think that the GPS data would be accurate enough to map a track.  Adding accelerometer data would help but you have to be careful how the phone was mounted in the car (it couldn't just be on the seat) and the program would have to know the mechanical characteristics of the car suspension.  Also just doing a lap wouldn't be sufficient to map the track.  At the very least you would need to do a lap on the outside border of the track, a lap on the inside of the track and a lap on the racing line.  I had the same idea but using PDs in car telemetry data thingy.  All this will still only give you a rough idea of the track.  You'd need a good track editor and some good modders to refine each track.  This would be much better than how modded tracks are done now but a far cry from the accuracy of laser scanned tracks.

Wiz

• Tech
  • Administrator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #254 on: December 12, 2012, 11:06:04 AM »

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 68   Go Up