SupaTunaGT

• May 06, 2024, 06:29:24 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Coming Attractions?

Watch this space for new News as it develops, or...

Check out the "ONLINE EVENTS" thread...

Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 68   Go Down

Author Topic: Project CARS General Discussion  (Read 74716 times)

Boston77Bruins

• The Bored of Directors
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
  • BLEEDS BLACK AND GOLD
Re: Project CARS
« Reply #720 on: July 14, 2014, 05:00:56 PM »

MX,
I find it great that you are teaching your daughter the stick shift in GT.  I think it's great education.

My 8 year old has begged me for years to let her drive.  I've crumbled a few times.  For being pint sized, she is terribly violent to my wheel.  And, she loves to race in the snow and dirt.  Even more violence. :laugh

A few weeks ago she asked me to race again.  I made her a deal.  You can drive, but you will have to pass the license tests before you can just play around in the snow and dirt.  She beamed a huge smile and dug in.

She has done very well so far.  She's got a few golds.  She's passed the first tier and is on the second class now.  But more importantly, she is gaining a vital skill that will help her greatly in just a few short years.  Proud poppa.  She's an  :angel:

BakedTuna

• Administrator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #721 on: July 14, 2014, 05:21:12 PM »

MX,
I find it great that you are teaching your daughter the stick shift in GT.  I think it's great education.

My 8 year old has begged me for years to let her drive.  I've crumbled a few times.  For being pint sized, she is terribly violent to my wheel.  And, she loves to race in the snow and dirt.  Even more violence. :laugh

A few weeks ago she asked me to race again.  I made her a deal.  You can drive, but you will have to pass the license tests before you can just play around in the snow and dirt.  She beamed a huge smile and dug in.

She has done very well so far.  She's got a few golds.  She's passed the first tier and is on the second class now.  But more importantly, she is gaining a vital skill that will help her greatly in just a few short years.  Proud poppa.  She's an  :angel:

As a Dad i cannot tell you strongly enough how good of an idea you are on to there. I mean just fucking way cool man. Much applause your way man. And cool on a few levels to boot.

And Mx nice move on your part too, the game will teach the mechanics and somewhat what to expect in an extremely safe environment. The feel can come when she gets seat time in a real car, but she will go in prepared. Plus you two are sharing something.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 05:58:28 PM by BakedTuna »

EX_stream_tuna

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
    • GT6 Photomode Album @ Flikr.com
« Reply #722 on: July 15, 2014, 07:25:49 AM »

very nice ideas coming from both you MX and Boston!  My son is 11yo and has shown only a passing interest in racing.  But when he's more into learning driving for real, I think the simulator games will all be more interesting.

MX5#98

• SOLITARY Confinement
  • Southern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #723 on: July 15, 2014, 07:52:47 AM »

Yeah, I'll let you guys know how it goes when she tries it on the MX5 for the first time. My hope is that she'll already know intellectually what to do. She'll just have to get used to the feel of it and then the rest is just muscle memory. She doesn't know it yet, but if she takes care of the car I'm giving her as her first car, I **may** give her the MX5 later when she goes off to college. But first I have to make sure she knows how to drive defensively. This is not a car you want to get in an accident with a cement truck.    :o
PSN ID: MX5_Racer_69
iRacing: Michael Schaefer2

Boston77Bruins

• The Bored of Directors
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
  • BLEEDS BLACK AND GOLD
« Reply #724 on: July 15, 2014, 09:00:59 PM »

I found this in the Project Cars section at GTPlanet.  Not very good news for Logitech users, like myself.  >:( :P :-\

The fine print at the bottom states that more wheels MAY be introduced closer to game launch.  I have a feeling that is unlikely after what I read about there relationship with another wheel maker.

Please use the handy checklist* below therefore to see if your device is amongst those compatible with the game...

* CHECKLIST ABOVE NOT FINAL, WILL BE UPDATED WITH MORE DEVICES TOWARDS RELEASE

And check out this startingly true-to-life comparison video of Project CARS vs real life by community member DigiProst using the Thrustmaster T500RS...
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 09:39:26 PM by TunaWiz »

Wiz

• Tech
  • Administrator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #725 on: July 15, 2014, 09:40:38 PM »

Boston,

I hope you don't mind but I've taken the liberty of replacing your list with a handy chart I found.

GoesTuna11

• The Bored of Directors
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #726 on: July 15, 2014, 10:10:48 PM »

Yeah, I'll let you guys know how it goes when she tries it on the MX5 for the first time. My hope is that she'll already know intellectually what to do. She'll just have to get used to the feel of it and then the rest is just muscle memory. She doesn't know it yet, but if she takes care of the car I'm giving her as her first car, I **may** give her the MX5 later when she goes off to college. But first I have to make sure she knows how to drive defensively. This is not a car you want to get in an accident with a cement truck.    :o

By far the hardest thing about learning to drive standard for me was starting the car from a standstill.  Unfortunately both GT and iRacing have anti-stall aids.  Get her to try a game like rF2 or GSCE where you can actually stall the car.

MasterGT

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #727 on: July 16, 2014, 12:07:18 AM »

I'm just catching up on the pCARS news.

I was going to post about only running the PS4 version, but if they can't be bothered to support my Logitech wheel on it, then I may be wasting my time even thinking about playing it.

I have to use a wheel; I don't need another wheel just to play it. :P

AgentWD40_FL

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Southern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #728 on: July 16, 2014, 04:46:08 AM »

Not very good news for Logitech users, like myself.  >:( :P :-\

:stoopid:

Looks like I'll save myself several hundred $$ ... I wont have to buy a PS4.  Disappointing though .... I was hoping to get back into some racing this year.  Maybe I'll try the Dirt Series ... 

Wiz

• Tech
  • Administrator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #729 on: July 16, 2014, 05:15:25 AM »

but if they can't be bothered to support my Logitech wheel on it

From what I understand, it's the other way around....  Logitech has not yet written drivers for the next gen consoles.

Don't blame SMS, blame Logitech & Fanatec.

GoesTuna11

• The Bored of Directors
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #730 on: July 16, 2014, 08:46:44 AM »

but if they can't be bothered to support my Logitech wheel on it

From what I understand, it's the other way around....  Logitech has not yet written drivers for the next gen consoles.

Don't blame SMS, blame Logitech & Fanatec & Sony?

Something is not quite right.  Here is a quote from Fanatec's FAQ:
Right now we cannot say if all or some Fanatec Playstation 3 Wheels (ClubSport Wheel, CSR Elite, CSR, GT3, GT3V2 and PWTS) will be compatible to the PlayStation 4 as there is no single (racing) game on the new Playstation which supports any ForceFeedback racing wheel at all. We hope that we can provide some information soon but it lies not in our hands at the moment.

If Fanatec truly doesn't know what it takes to get their wheel working on the PS4, it means that either Fanatec is incompetent for not finding out or Sony is incompetent for not letting them know.  The T500RS is on the list so we know this isn't a hardware compatibility issue like with the XBone.  I suspect that when Fanatec approached Sony, Sony was either going to charge them a license fee for making a driver, or were going to charge a fair bit for their SDK.  Fanatec decided that since their wheels have a G25 compatibility mode that they would just wait for Logitech to write drivers for their wheels.  I'm sure that we've all heard that Logitech is abandoning consoles so they likely aren't even going to write drivers.

Wiz

• Tech
  • Administrator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #731 on: July 16, 2014, 03:44:02 PM »

So I did some more digging in regards to this whole wheel/drivers thing.

Anyone remember Immersion Co?  The company that Sony went to court with in regards to rumble?  I had completely forgotten that PS3 controllers didn't come with rumble at first.

That patent may be playing a role here.  Apparently the tech/code for rumble is the same tech used in Logitech wheels for FFB.

Sony ponied up the cash last time around for PS3 so Logitech wheels would work.  Sounds like this time Sony is shifting the burden to the wheel makers to pony up the cash.  And with Logitech out of the console wheel market, I'm not so sure it's going to happen.  And Fanatec piggybacked off of Logitechs drivers for PS3, so if Logitech doesn't do it this time, then no Fanatec either.

What a shame.

I was pretty well decided on going PC before, now it's almost a guarantee.

Thrustmaster isn't affected by the patent, as they're written their own code with the help from Sony/Microsoft.

Note:  I got this info from Amar212 (you may remember him from back in the day, somewhat of an "insider" on all things GT), so it may not be 100% accurate, but it makes a lot of sense and it's probably why Logitech are being so coy about this stuff.

Things could change, and I certainly hope they do.  But as of right now it's not looking good I'm afraid.

« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 03:45:49 PM by TunaWiz »

Rek

• The Bored of Directors
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
  • "Global Peace Through Deadly Force"
« Reply #732 on: July 17, 2014, 11:07:27 AM »

At the bottom of Boston's post was a link. I couldn't click on so here it is. pretty cool man.

Project CARS Vs Real Life - Ariel Atom @ Brands Hatch

MX5#98

• SOLITARY Confinement
  • Southern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #733 on: July 18, 2014, 07:19:27 AM »

Wow, thanks Wiz for the answer. Just goes to show, there is usually a rational explanation. Guess I'm selling my Fanatec wheel. Anyone want it?

MS
PSN ID: MX5_Racer_69
iRacing: Michael Schaefer2

Wiz

• Tech
  • Administrator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #734 on: July 18, 2014, 08:20:21 AM »

Wow, thanks Wiz for the answer. Just goes to show, there is usually a rational explanation. Guess I'm selling my Fanatec wheel. Anyone want it?

MS

Nothing is set in stone MX.   I'd wait a little while before getting rid of your gear.

I think once some of these racing games are released (pCARS, Driveclub, etc), the public pressure to get these legacy wheels to work will be massive, and I believe someone will cave and pony up the cash and/or drivers to make it happen.
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 68   Go Up