SupaTunaGT

• May 06, 2024, 11:10:24 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Around here we're just FAST enough to have FUN.

Race FAST!  Race HARD!!  Race CLEAN!!!   Have FUN!!!!

Long line Tunas!!!

Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 68   Go Down

Author Topic: Project CARS General Discussion  (Read 74718 times)

EX_stream_tuna

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
    • GT6 Photomode Album @ Flikr.com
Re: Project CARS General Discussion
« Reply #825 on: March 12, 2015, 09:12:36 AM »

Here's a "what if" moment I'd like to share:

If anyone has knowledge about whether this would be possible, and whether SMS would allow this sort of comment on their forums, I'd appreciate it.  (if so, I may post there too)

Connecting across platforms might be possible.

Does pCARS have a LAN mode planned?

If so, it might be possible to use a trick that original Halo players used to connect before XBOX Live was created.

A VPN "tunnelling" app is installed on your PC.  It allows the creation of a "virtual private network" and allows you to connect to a network as if in the same building as other computers, even though you are connecting through the web.

Consoles could be set to LAN mode, an IP address and other server info entered, and the same thing done on the PC version games.

I wonder, is the net-code similar enough that this might be possible?

Think of it.  PC, PS4, Xbox, and maybe even Wii, all connected in the same lounge.

Maybe if it wouldn't require a huge rewrite of any game code and cause another delay, maybe they'd be willing to give us a mode where we could voluntarily set up a VPN and force the versions together, completely separate from the console-specific networks?

If nothing else, it might be good to put this idea out there on the developers' radar and get the larger community of sim racers talking about the technicals for this... it's possible and very doable I think, but only if there are no legal or financial roadblocks...

Wiz

• Tech
  • Administrator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #826 on: March 12, 2015, 11:25:25 AM »

They've said that Microsoft/Sony/Nintendo will now allow them to write any code that would make this possible.

It would be up to the userbase to write code/hacks/software in order for this to work.  Since that hasn't been done (that I know of) for any other game up until this point, I don't see it happening.  The new security measures on the new consoles makes it even less likely, in my opinion.

I assume the VPN you're thinking of is called Hamachi.  It's widely used for playing games online that no longer have servers running for online play.  We're actually in the middle of trying to figure out how to use it for one of the older flight sims we bought.

EX_stream_tuna

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #827 on: March 12, 2015, 11:32:13 AM »

They've said that Microsoft/Sony/Nintendo will now allow them to write any code that would make this possible.

It would be up to the userbase to write code/hacks/software in order for this to work.  Since that hasn't been done (that I know of) for any other game up until this point, I don't see it happening.  The new security measures on the new consoles makes it even less likely, in my opinion.

I assume the VPN you're thinking of is called Hamachi.  It's widely used for playing games online that no longer have servers running for online play.  We're actually in the middle of trying to figure out how to use it for one of the older flight sims we bought.

I was just thnking of VPN in general, not any specific program.

I wonder if SMS has left the option open for modders or if it is locked out in some way?  If the lobby interface for online is exaclty the same, and no major coding differences were introduced specifically for the LAN mode (obviously connecting to LIVE and PSN are going to work differently and incompatible with one another), then as long as you could make them all connect via VPN, and there's no reason in my mind that it wouldn't work... hmm...

I'm just not an expert in this area.  I only know enough to have very grand ideas that will go nowhere... :(

If there is a protocol that forces the game to check whether other machines on the LAN are also PS4's or whathaveyou, then it might also be possible for someone to eventually learn how to spoof that protocol, so that a PS4 thinks another player is also on one, and vice versa.

Either way, the line between console and PC is being blurred more and more every year.  I still think this may be the final generation of gaming consoles...

dlrws6

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Southern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #828 on: March 12, 2015, 11:39:46 AM »

I wonder if the game will support the playstation's analog buttons. I'm done with wheels and am a controller only person. 

The problem I've found with most cross platform racing games is that the PS controller's analog functions are not fully utilized. Grid: Autosport being a good example, I find it to be near impossible for me to play due to how I have to configure the button layout on the controller.  :(

It could affect my purchasing decision.

DudeTuna

• The Bored of Directors
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #829 on: March 12, 2015, 12:03:17 PM »

Hamachi, I was trying to remember that as I was reading Ex's post. I had read about it but never actually used it so sorry for not being any help. Re IL2: can't you host a server from your own PC or within game, I seem to recall having to phone my friends and give them my IP address so they could join me.

Would this help with your IL2
http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/525619-IL2-1946-dedicated-server-Forums
http://www.mission4today.com/index.php?name=Downloads&get=2417

EX_stream_tuna

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #830 on: March 12, 2015, 12:06:04 PM »

Re IL2: can't you host a server from your own PC or within game, I seem to recall having to phone my friends and give them my IP address so they could join me.

that, and probably some port forwarding for the person hosting, so that the packets coming in from other gamer's PC's will know that it should go to your PC and not something else on your LAN.

But that's just an ASSumption based on other games... I still don't have this...

DudeTuna

• The Bored of Directors
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #831 on: March 12, 2015, 12:09:33 PM »

I wonder if the game will support the playstation's analog buttons. I'm done with wheels and am a controller only person. 

The problem I've found with most cross platform racing games is that the PS controller's analog functions are not fully utilized. Grid: Autosport being a good example, I find it to be near impossible for me to play due to how I have to configure the button layout on the controller.  :(

It could affect my purchasing decision.

I do not think the PS4 has any analog buttons only the analog sticks.

Wiz

• Tech
  • Administrator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #832 on: March 12, 2015, 12:15:46 PM »

Thanks Dude, but IL-2 is not the game we're struggling with.  We got that one figured out.  It's Blazing Angels, an old Ubisoft game.

EX_stream_tuna

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #833 on: March 12, 2015, 01:35:08 PM »

Thanks Dude, but IL-2 is not the game we're struggling with.  We got that one figured out.  It's Blazing Angels, an old Ubisoft game.

you could always call out hits and misses, like Battleship!?!?

Wiz

• Tech
  • Administrator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #834 on: March 23, 2015, 09:59:09 AM »

Great news for Fanatec owners...

Rek

• The Bored of Directors
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
  • "Global Peace Through Deadly Force"
« Reply #835 on: March 23, 2015, 10:10:12 AM »

Now to hear good news for the Logitec users.

DudeTuna

• The Bored of Directors
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #836 on: March 23, 2015, 10:20:33 AM »

Great news for Fanatec owners...

This is great news. It also verifies it is up the developers to provide hardware support. 

Boston77Bruins

• The Bored of Directors
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
  • BLEEDS BLACK AND GOLD
« Reply #837 on: March 23, 2015, 10:25:33 AM »

Now to hear good news for the Logitec users.

I can only wish!

I had the feeling  the last delay was to get additional wheel support.  As it's been the biggest gripe.  Who knows if that's true, but this news is suspicious.

I very happy for you Fanatec guys.  I think we Logitech users are well and truly screwed.

Wiz

• Tech
  • Administrator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #838 on: March 23, 2015, 10:31:56 AM »

It also verifies it is up the developers to provide hardware support.

Not necessarily.  I cut off a portion of the news blurb that had a quote from Fanatec CEO.

“The quality of the input devices play an important role in the immersion factor of a simulation and especially our ClubSport series delivers an automotive quality and experience level. We are now bringing this level to PlayStation 4 and Xbox One and Project CARS is the perfect title to make best use of our technology. This combination is a new milestone on gaming consoles.” (Thomas Jackermeier, CEO Endor AG / Fanatec)

The yellow part makes it sound like Fanatec finally got support from Sony/Microsoft.  pCARS just happened to be the first to make an announcement.  I'd bet that Codemasters & the Driveclub guys won't be far behind.

Wiz

• Tech
  • Administrator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #839 on: March 23, 2015, 11:00:10 AM »

While still not great news for Logitech users, at least now there's a much cheaper option to be able to play on the new consoles.

Before today's news, it was around $550 to get a nice wheel/pedal combo for PS4. (Thrustmaster T300RS, Fanatec CSR Pedals, adapter/dongle to make them work together.)

Now, you could buy a CSR for $200 and buy the G25/G27 pedal adapter for $5

Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 68   Go Up