SupaTunaGT

• May 06, 2024, 12:17:01 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Around here we're just FAST enough to have FUN.

Race FAST!  Race HARD!!  Race CLEAN!!!   Have FUN!!!!

Long line Tunas!!!

Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 68   Go Down

Author Topic: Project CARS General Discussion  (Read 74718 times)

dlrws6

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Southern Bluefin Tuna
Re: Project CARS General Discussion
« Reply #885 on: May 08, 2015, 07:43:03 AM »

At least for wanting the game, I'm off the fence.  I want it.  I've seen enough to feel its worth a shot.  It seems to do all the things I wished GT would do.  The question is what system. PS4 or PC seems to me to be the best options but both would require investment in new hardware. Or I can go the cheap route and patiently wait for the Wii U version, if it ever happens.  I've heard that the Wii U version may take advantage of the controllers motion control for the steering which is far more sensitive and accurate than the old Wii. 

EX_stream_tuna

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
    • GT6 Photomode Album @ Flikr.com
« Reply #886 on: May 08, 2015, 08:40:55 AM »

Initial Comments:

I set the game to "Pro", which set assists to off, and AI to challenging

Forcefeedback is a global setting (might be able to be changed per car), but is by default probably too weak for most players.  I think it was set at 80-85% by default.  Turn it up a bit.

There are many FFB settings that I don't yet know what to do with, so I'm sure the perfect blend is out there, and after I tweak this a bit I'll be able to compare to Assetto Corsa, which is the standard for FFB ATM.

Overall, the menus need better tips and explanation.

Presentation is really good in this game.  From menu to menu, it makes you feel special and like you are on a real mission to be a race driver.  Some of the menus are confusing, and on the PC verison, there is only a little "Back" arrow to exit a screen, which can be hard to click and hard to find.  Some menu items are burried or in strange places, like GT used to be.

The handling does not feel as sharp or easy to "feel" compared to AC, but that might have something to do with not having FFB configured right just yet, which may be causing me to give improper inputs to the wheels...

The sounds on the one car I tried were not amazing (Evo X FQ400), but more like it was trying really hard to sound right.  Not sure I can explain that very well, but you'll see.  Sounds are very "tinny", which some EQ might cure.  I end up using some EQ on most of the PC games I've been playing...

The surround sound needs a complete overhaul.  I can't believe they didn't get this figured out in the time allotted.  There is no presence of other cars around you, and no track echo at all.  You hear other engine sounds, to be sure, but do not hear a car pass you as it does so.  That is kind of critical.  GTA V does a much better job at this.  (FWIW, AC is still working on getting this right too, but has recently made a big improvement in this area)

AI is really good at certain things, and really bad at others.  I think this is where the franchise sets itself apart from the other 3.  The AI really do try to race you, but if I'm honest, they are a bit dirty and if real drivers did the things they did to me last night, there would be a fistfight!  (diving to your inside when it should be clear you are already turning in)

The race radio isn't as annoying as it seemed in one of the videos I watched.  It is more subdued, and you can turn it Off or just down a bit.

Graphics - I can't say much except that it should look really good if your PC can handle it.  Mine can't.  Not even on medium settings.  I am a bit dissappointed that they couldn't optimize this aspect of the game better so that people who have the recommended specs can't even get a smooth frame rate.  (My PC meets the recommended, so I take it they didn't want to scare people away?)

It is annoying that one must restart the entire game to make a graphics setting change, rather than have a launcher that does not load the whole game, Like AC.

There were some bugs and glitches, including some crashes just from trying to change a setting or something...

Overall, I think there is a lot of promise with this, but if it doesn't look at least as good as GT or AC when I play it, I probably won't.  There are a few games now, that I'd like to turn up the graphics settings for, and can't, so this might push be towards a stronger card.  Though,  Ireally don't see why this game is pushing it so hard.  The fucking trees are far too complex, and cars even on low detail cause frame-rate drops with only a few cars visible at any time.

My 3.6ghz quad-core i5 is showing it is over 70% used (all cores) when running just 12 cars...

Are they really doing that many calculations per second that this is all necessary?

One thing I will say, now that I've played a few other similar games to GT, is that no game is without it's ridiculous faults, and we will always be left scratching or banging our heads about bonehead decisions that developers make.  It's not just a PD thing...

Brindle

« Reply #887 on: May 08, 2015, 10:06:49 AM »

My 3.6ghz quad-core i5 is showing it is over 70% used (all cores) when running just 12 cars...

Are they really doing that many calculations per second that this is all necessary?

With AI absolutely!  My i5 @ 4.2 runs consistently 65% plus when racing with you guys online.  Probably around 50% by myself.  PC sims are becoming increasingly heavy on physics calcs.  Just from the files I know, there has to be at least 1000+ numbers to be crunched for a single car.

One thing I will say about PCars... It is a big step up from GT, both visually and feeling wise.  Anyone and I literally mean anyone who buys the game will NOT be disappointing, compared to the GT series.  Is it my go to sim?  No.  Does it make playing GT6 feel like your playing a NFS title?  ABSOFUCKINGLUTELY!!!

Enjoy all.   8)

EX_stream_tuna

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #888 on: May 08, 2015, 11:50:09 AM »

With AI absolutely!  My i5 @ 4.2 runs consistently 65% plus when racing with you guys online.  Probably around 50% by myself.  PC sims are becoming increasingly heavy on physics calcs.  Just from the files I know, there has to be at least 1000+ numbers to be crunched for a single car.

What I meant by that, really, was that it is weird that AC feels so good and gets by with less strain on my CPU...  I mean, there seems to be more sim-like driving going on in AC, so wouldn't it have more calculations happening?  Perhaps Kunoz are just better at optimizing it all?  That's sort of what I meant... that it seems like the extreme overhead isn't necessary if another game can do something that feels even better without overtaxing the CPU.

EX_stream_tuna

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #889 on: May 08, 2015, 08:26:03 PM »

I figured out some graphics settings for PC version of this game.

I believe if you are having trouble displaying this game at 1080 60fps, then trying 1360x768x60 may be the trick for you

It is strange, but this game on 768 does not look like it is less than 1080, especially when smoothed out with plenty of AA.  (that's not anti-aircraft, Rek)

Brindle - on your tripples... have your tried 768 or something less than 1080?  I think you may be surprised at the smoothness

I was finally able to find a nice blend of high-ish settings on graphics, but with res turned down a notch.  The game was amazingly smooth this way, even with a dozen cars (CPU is still running rather high).  It remained smooth even in the heavy rain at night with other cars.

Overall, after spending some more time getting acquainted with this game, (no online ventures yet) I can say that I am falling in love with this game.

That surround sound still needs serious work, though :P

Rek

• The Bored of Directors
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
  • "Global Peace Through Deadly Force"
« Reply #890 on: May 09, 2015, 09:38:31 PM »

You guys are killing me  And roger on the AA Ex. I hope to have a set of pedals "soon" wheel good. Pedals bad.

Brindle

« Reply #891 on: May 13, 2015, 10:51:13 AM »

So did anyone get this for ps4 yet?  Curious as to your opinions.

Rek

• The Bored of Directors
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
  • "Global Peace Through Deadly Force"
« Reply #892 on: May 13, 2015, 11:16:00 AM »

What about your experience so far on PC? Last I heard you was enjoying the career in carts. Did they do anything for your triple screen yet.

MasterGT

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #893 on: May 13, 2015, 11:18:30 AM »

I bought a PS4 a few months ago just for pCARS, but finally set it up last night, since there was no pre-release version of the sim for it.

I only have a controller to use, so don't get near me on any track until I get a wheel.
Don't worry, I don't plan on joining on-line races any time soon.  ::)

DudeTuna

• The Bored of Directors
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #894 on: May 13, 2015, 12:24:28 PM »

I bought a PS4 a few months ago just for pCARS, but finally set it up last night, since there was no pre-release version of the sim for it.

I only have a controller to use, so don't get near me on any track until I get a wheel.
Don't worry, I don't plan on joining on-line races any time soon.  ::)

What wheel are you planning on picking up?

I'm going to park this link here. http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/archive/index.php/t-22495.html

Fanatec issues: http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?21978-Fanatec-Wheel-support

Thrustmaster issues: http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?21993-T500RS-going-nuts-after-the-races

« Last Edit: May 13, 2015, 12:33:43 PM by DudeTuna »

ChromeTuna

• Global Moderator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
  • Chrome will get you home.
« Reply #895 on: May 13, 2015, 12:26:05 PM »

The wife is going to see if Wally World has it Friday. If they do, I'll have then, but I'll be a controller user.
"Life is hard, when you're delicious."

MasterGT

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #896 on: May 13, 2015, 09:40:05 PM »

What wheel are you planning on picking up?

I got busy and missed the Fanatec discount, so it is likely to be a T300.

Not sure about the pedals.

DudeTuna

• The Bored of Directors
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #897 on: May 14, 2015, 10:57:51 AM »

I got busy and missed the Fanatec discount, so it is likely to be a T300.

Not sure about the pedals.

Here's a planet thread for PS4 T300 settings.
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/wheel-settings-ps4-from-jack-spades.328426/

badaboya1

• The Bored of Directors
  • Yellowfin Tuna
« Reply #898 on: May 14, 2015, 12:03:18 PM »

I don't have a ton of play time with it yet, but did get into a room with grumpy & no affiliations last night.
We are still trying to get used to navigating all the different menus which seems pretty complicated so far but I'm sure will get better with time.

There is no free roam online but the host can set the time for a practice session and then choose to start a race whenever he wants.

For a brand new game it seems pretty good as far as connection issues go. We had no problems at all last night.

Haven't played with car settings much yet but there are lots of them. Each wheel and tire pressures can be adjusted individually.

In offline races you can have up to 36 cars on track and AI abilities can be adjusted, (very cool).

Car and ambient sounds seem really good.

Graphics and detail are very good but the game does have a more 'drawn' look than GT6 IMO.

I have a G27 wheel so I cant say much about how the other wheels perform on the game. I do like that the controller can be set to use the analog stick for gas and brakes which is how I prefer to use it.

So far not many of us have the game yet but I did notice some of the old 'pit' guys do. I might try getting on with some of them tonight just to try the online with more players. Haven't tried the open lobbies yet so I can't say much about that.

For a new game, I really can't say anything bad about the product they have released. No freezing or disco issues at all so far. Very cool for a new product.

All we really need now is for more guys to get a copy of the game and I think we could turn it into some really goose times!

DudeTuna

• The Bored of Directors
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #899 on: May 14, 2015, 12:20:11 PM »

I don't have a ton of play time with it yet, but did get into a room with grumpy & no affiliations last night.
We are still trying to get used to navigating all the different menus which seems pretty complicated so far but I'm sure will get better with time.

There is no free roam online but the host can set the time for a practice session and then choose to start a race whenever he wants.

For a brand new game it seems pretty good as far as connection issues go. We had no problems at all last night.

Haven't played with car settings much yet but there are lots of them. Each wheel and tire pressures can be adjusted individually.

In offline races you can have up to 36 cars on track and AI abilities can be adjusted, (very cool).

Car and ambient sounds seem really good.

Graphics and detail are very good but the game does have a more 'drawn' look than GT6 IMO.

I have a G27 wheel so I cant say much about how the other wheels perform on the game. I do like that the controller can be set to use the analog stick for gas and brakes which is how I prefer to use it.

So far not many of us have the game yet but I did notice some of the old 'pit' guys do. I might try getting on with some of them tonight just to try the online with more players. Haven't tried the open lobbies yet so I can't say much about that.

For a new game, I really can't say anything bad about the product they have released. No freezing or disco issues at all so far. Very cool for a new product.

All we really need now is for more guys to get a copy of the game and I think we could turn it into some really goose times!

Nice write up. Do you have any of the visual screen issues some have. Like this below.
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 68   Go Up