SupaTunaGT

• May 06, 2024, 05:26:57 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Coming Attractions?

Watch this space for new News as it develops, or...

Check out the "ONLINE EVENTS" thread...

Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 68   Go Down

Author Topic: Project CARS General Discussion  (Read 74716 times)

dlrws6

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Southern Bluefin Tuna
Re: Project CARS General Discussion
« Reply #915 on: May 17, 2015, 09:35:17 AM »

I picked up a PS4 and the game on Friday night.  Set it up and played with it on Saturday and a little today, while sitting through the mess that is Indy qualifying right now.  ::)

I'm very happy with it. Pcars is certainly different than GT.   I've spent some time trying to find a controller configuration that suits me.  So far I'm happiest with R2 gas, L2 brake, Left stick steering, right stick shift.  I have not done any career races I've stuck with solo until I get use to the controls.  I've played with the Mustang Trans Am car at Le Mans (I blew the engine  :D ) and the Ford Focus at Monza and Nurburg Sprint Short Course (I really like this one).

The sound is great except I think tire noise should be a little louder.  And I sort of understand now why PD has their tire noise set so loud. I think it does help with sensing grip limits.

ALSO:  My PS4 was the Last of Us bundle, it also came with a code for $10 PSN cash. So in my opinion $400 for the PS4 with supposedly a great game and PSN credit is not too bad.

ChromeTuna

• Global Moderator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
  • Chrome will get you home.
« Reply #916 on: May 17, 2015, 10:13:09 AM »

The sound is great except I think tire noise should be a little louder.  And I sort of understand now why PD has their tire noise set so loud. I think it does help with sensing grip limits.

ALSO:  My PS4 was the Last of Us bundle, it also came with a code for $10 PSN cash. So in my opinion $400 for the PS4 with supposedly a great game and PSN credit is not too bad.

I kept thinking the same thing. Got in trouble numerous times, because I had no idea I had went well beyond the limit.
Also the pops and burbles from the exhaust is pretty cool. I found myself letting off the throttle, just so I could hear it.

Definitely worth checking out. One of my all time favorite games.
"Life is hard, when you're delicious."

Brindle

« Reply #917 on: May 17, 2015, 10:44:50 AM »

Wizard is deaf and can't hear ANY tire noise.  It is there, it's very quiet and very low pitched.  All those things make for a lot of grip guessing.   ;)

Wiz

• Tech
  • Administrator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #918 on: May 17, 2015, 03:16:25 PM »

GoesTuna11

• The Bored of Directors
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna

Rek

• The Bored of Directors
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
  • "Global Peace Through Deadly Force"
« Reply #920 on: May 18, 2015, 06:24:57 AM »

I reckon its time to pull the old driving force pro out of storage and give the PC version a go.

EX_stream_tuna

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
    • GT6 Photomode Album @ Flikr.com
« Reply #921 on: May 18, 2015, 07:47:21 AM »

They did optimize the game quite well, so I don't think you need a power house, but you won't get away with a Wally "Roll Back". 

Yes, some of the poor performance issues I stated earlier are due to AMD having some inefficient drivers right now... they are working with SMS to improve.  Users with Windows 10 are actually reporting that their issues are gone, so it is just he drivers for the older versions of windows.

You do not need a powerhouse, as Brindled said.  You just need something fairlyi capable.  The more capable, the more cars you'll be able to put in a race and higher the graphics settings.

However, your budget gaming PC will probably still cost a little more than a PS4, unless wheel compatibility makes the price more like buying a PC anyway.

Brindle... I am on PC ;)

EX_stream_tuna

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
    • GT6 Photomode Album @ Flikr.com
« Reply #922 on: May 18, 2015, 07:56:37 AM »

The capturing and presentation of most of the sounds in the game are very good.  There is still a time when it sounds more like GT's sounds, with tinny, digitized sounds.  However, I think that is mostly in higher-pitch engines that don't have as much "growl" to them.  When you digitize (segmenting each RPM into chunks of RPM range and then associating a spot on the Tach to them) you always lose some fidelity in this area.  The only possible fix for this is to use smaller and smaller chunks of RPM, which means more pieces to process every second for all of the engine sounds.  This game seems to do a better job of that than GT6, but then again, bigger hardware specs.

Surround sound is still (apparently, not officially) a work in progress.  There is no 3D presence to any of the sounds, but there are sounds in all speakers.  You will not hear a car pan from rear to front, you will only hear it disappear from rear and then suddenly pan up in the front, as if it is not in the 3D space around you.

Compared to other things, that is minor, though.  I do hope they improve it.

GoesTuna11

• The Bored of Directors
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #923 on: May 18, 2015, 01:59:03 PM »

I finally got a chance to try the game out for a bit last night.  Overall, I am pleasantly surprised.  Performance and graphics on the default settings really aren't too bad although I was a little nauseous after playing with only a single screen so something might not be quite right.  Sound localization wasn't very good.  The tweets and emails during the career mode are kind of corny but they do add atmosphere to the race series which is really important.  Horizon's career mode was pretty corny but the atmosphere made it one of the best games that I have played even with the dumbed down physics.

Does anyone know if the career mode has weather by default?  I haven't had any rain in 5 or 6 kart races.

DudeTuna

• The Bored of Directors
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #924 on: May 18, 2015, 03:02:54 PM »

I finally got a chance to try the game out for a bit last night.  Overall, I am pleasantly surprised.  Performance and graphics on the default settings really aren't too bad although I was a little nauseous after playing with only a single screen so something might not be quite right.  Sound localization wasn't very good.  The tweets and emails during the career mode are kind of corny but they do add atmosphere to the race series which is really important.  Horizon's career mode was pretty corny but the atmosphere made it one of the best games that I have played even with the dumbed down physics.

Does anyone know if the career mode has weather by default?  I haven't had any rain in 5 or 6 kart races.

To the best of my knowledge karts do not race in the rain.

GoesTuna11

• The Bored of Directors
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #925 on: May 18, 2015, 03:27:01 PM »

To the best of my knowledge karts do not race in the rain.

How can I ever expect to be as fast as Ayrton if I don't race my kart in the rain?

Brindle

« Reply #926 on: May 18, 2015, 03:33:30 PM »

I haven't seen any weather either yet, but I'm only halfway through.  Did you by chance feel the difference in grip levels between heats?

BakedTuna

• Administrator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #927 on: May 18, 2015, 03:45:11 PM »

Karts do race in the rain. Some local clubs choose not to for varying reasons but most national events will.

DudeTuna

• The Bored of Directors
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #928 on: May 18, 2015, 03:47:23 PM »

Karts do race in the rain. Some local clubs choose not to for varying reasons but most national events will.

Sorry, I had no idea they made rain tires for karts. I learned something new.

BakedTuna

• Administrator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #929 on: May 18, 2015, 04:43:50 PM »

Sorry, I had no idea they made rain tires for karts. I learned something new.

I have ran on a wet track before, downright scary. The wheelbase is so short on those things that they could spin so fast you did not have time to process what had happened. I never ran in falling rain never sounded appealing to me, I even went so far as to decline to, even when it would have meant I would lose points in the series.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 06:12:38 PM by BakedTuna »
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 68   Go Up