SupaTunaGT

• May 02, 2024, 10:39:15 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

On Tuesday Nights join TheHotstepper for "Tuneless Tuesdays" (TuTu for short)

Thursday Night is "A Touch of Class" night; sponsored by Feldynn...

Check out the Career in a Year Friday nights 9pm eastern

Linked Events

• Pop Quiz: March 09, 2012
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: OK Class it's a Pop Quiz (Complete)  (Read 3802 times)

Turbo-Tuna

• The Bored of Directors
  • Bigeye Tuna
Re: OK Class it's a Pop Quiz (Time amended)
« Reply #60 on: March 09, 2012, 07:00:05 PM »

I'll be in when the kids are quietly in bed...whenever that is. I wanna go fast.

RoninTuna

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Bigeye Tuna
  • Katana o motte
« Reply #61 on: March 09, 2012, 08:54:15 PM »

Despite some minor issues this turned out to be a good test.

Results

Wizard - LM-P
Feldynn - LM-P
Baked - LM-P
Hey - GT-1
Ronin - GT-1
Metal - GT-1
Eggs - GT-2
Turbo - GT-2
Chrome - GT-2
Sniper GT-2
Fried - LM-P
Nosocks - GT-1

I survived the Great PSN outage of 2011

RoninTuna

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Bigeye Tuna
  • Katana o motte
« Reply #62 on: March 10, 2012, 01:50:55 PM »

Last nights test race went over well despite a fairly large setback. I got some great shots of the LM-P's overtaking the GT-1's but by far the best racing was to be found in GT-2. The 4 GT-2 cars where no more than a half a second apart for ninety percent of the race where Sniper pitted in separating himself from the rest of GT-2. A grid staging issue caused some unwarranted separation in both the LM-P and GT-1 classes but this can be fixed with manual grid staging.

Turn one lap one

Feldynn's LM-P Overtakes my GT-1 on lap one

BakedTuna's LM-P overtakes Metalfreak1520's GT-1 on lap 1

An early GT-2 battle between Sweeteggs (Silvia) and DesertSniper72 (Challenger)

A GT-1 Battle for position on lap 3 when SlowmanTuna's 07 Ford GT charges my 09 GT-R

TurboTuna (NSX), Sweeteggs (Silvia) and DesertSniper72 (Challenger) take the bus stop in triplicate.

TurboTuna (NSX) and DesertSniper72 (Challenger) side by side going into turn one on lap 5

My GT-1 overtaking Feldynn's LM-P on lap 5

TurboTuna (NSX), Sweeteggs (Silvia), DesertSniper72 (Challenger) and ChromeTuna (ISF) in their epic battle, I could not tell you what lap, they where like this most of the race, If I was to guess I'd say lap 6

TunaWiz nabs him self a drive through penalty with a crash on Pit road on lap 6

FriedTuna and TunaWiz on pit road on lap 7

BakedTuna's LM-P overtakes SlowManTuna's GT-1 on lap 8 after pit stop for the LM-P

My late race charge on SlowmanTuna's 07 Ford GT

But because I am an idiot my late race charge was too little too late as I forgot to set the post race timer and time expired before I could take the position.

Congrats goes out to Wizard for the overall and LM-P class win, SlowmanTuna for the GT-1 Class win and Eggs for the GT-2 class win.

BakedTuna

• Administrator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #63 on: March 10, 2012, 03:07:27 PM »

Too many minutes to think. And now I thought i would ask why was the field reversed?

RoninTuna

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Bigeye Tuna
  • Katana o motte
« Reply #64 on: March 10, 2012, 03:35:20 PM »

Too many minutes to think. And now I thought i would ask why was the field reversed?

It was originally intended to be a test detail. I wanted (and still do to a point) to have the higher classes work through the lower classes, this is intended more for use under endurance format. It was not absolutely necessary for a sprint format but it needed testing. I would have hated to find that grid staging flaw that we saw during this race in a planned endurance race. Having seen the issue I know all ready how to fix it.

Now I have a question. The pre race inspection that I tried out. That was a suggestion from Hey that I thought I would try on the fly. Was that too much of a hassle or do you think it worked despite having no advanced warning?

BakedTuna

• Administrator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
Re: OK Class it's a Pop Quiz (Complete)
« Reply #65 on: March 10, 2012, 04:22:01 PM »

The pre race inspection was ok. But 40 mins of ptre race seemed a bit much. And multi class was cool to see but would the reverse grid be in future races?

RoninTuna

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Bigeye Tuna
  • Katana o motte
« Reply #66 on: March 10, 2012, 04:42:50 PM »

The pre race inspection was ok. But 40 mins of ptre race seemed a bit much.
Half an hour of it was qualifying and The inspection process took a little longer to execute than it should have due to some confusion with floaters and what class they where driving. I think the inspection process can go much quicker when everyone knows what all is going on. The half hour of qualifying is an attempt to keep qualifying live and not resorting to the qualifying in advance that the TPRA does. I personally do not like the whole qualify in advance thing they do so I am trying to avoid that at all costs because it requires a commitment in advance that many here do not want. Additionally due to confusion I spent most of the qualifying time explaining what was going on to the floaters.

The Pre race organizing can be cut down significantly. With the issues we had trying to use the ingame grid staging It would be safer and more accurate to manually stage the grid. That said there would be no need for us to wait for a last second LM-P to get a Q-time, he would just start at the back of his/her respective class like we saw last night with Feldynn needing to get a time in. We could knock it down to prolly fifteen minuets pretty safely with some practice.

And multi class was cool to see but would the reverse grid be in future races?

I'm not rightly sure yet. It will require a little more testing. You definitely got hosed in this race when you got hung up in traffic wile Wizard started in front, Fried roared around the other two classes almost unscathed and Feldynn managed to slalom through with only minor issue. The whole reverse grid thing is intended to add further challenge but at this point it may not be necessary.

Wiz

• Tech
  • Administrator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #67 on: March 10, 2012, 05:49:01 PM »

While I understand your desire to have the faster cars start in the back for more of a challenge, I think they should start out front and here's why...

Qualifying could be done in a normal fashion.  Doesn't get any easier than that!  :)

With the way you have it now, the chaos created in the first few turns is only going to separate people from their class, which I think is the exact opposite of what you want to happen.  If the faster cars start out front, I think it would promote better racing within each class.  

If it stays the way you have it now, take the example of an LMP crashing into a GT1 car in turn one, now they're both probably out of contention within their class.  Doesn't make any sense to me.  

In my opinion starting the faster cars out front is a win/win.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 05:51:29 PM by TunaWiz »

Feldynn

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #68 on: March 10, 2012, 07:26:29 PM »

Regarding the reverse grid start, as one of the less competent drivers (especially in an LMP car, sorry Hey :( ) I would much rather the faster classes start at the front basically for the same reason Wiz mentioned.  From my POV it was a bit of a cluster, I just didn't know which way to go in the initial start and first corner then totally misjudged braking points and ran right into Hey at turn 2 pushing him off track.  A better driver may not have done that though, and for what it's worth I don't think I caused too much of a problem lapping people after that when I had more time to anticipate.

I like the live qualifying and pre-race inspection, there is probably a way we can refine the process so it doesn't take quite as long but I don't think it should be removed at all.  Maybe if at 5 minutes before end of Q (or close to it when they're happy with their time) everyone pulls into the pits but don't exit the track, then pull out one by one and lines up according to the display on the right.  Everyone notes down their own position (Ronin could take a quick master list, like just initial + position) and we exit the track, track is changed to clear times and we all get back on track class by class for the inspection then line up accordingly and start the race. 

"Not visualising the equine bestowment via it's verbilisation aperture!"

"Every silver lining has a touch of grey.."

EX_stream_tuna

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
    • GT6 Photomode Album @ Flikr.com
« Reply #69 on: March 12, 2012, 09:12:47 AM »

lol... I looked at the HostTuna account to see if anyone was in there for TGTIF and when that was empty, looked at ShoShoTuna and was like "oh, this is where everyone is!"

doh!

I don't usually find myself able to race on Fridays, but if I do I'll keep this series in mind.

RoninTuna

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Bigeye Tuna
  • Katana o motte
« Reply #70 on: March 12, 2012, 06:33:26 PM »

lol... I looked at the HostTuna account to see if anyone was in there for TGTIF and when that was empty, looked at ShoShoTuna and was like "oh, this is where everyone is!"

doh!

I don't usually find myself able to race on Fridays, but if I do I'll keep this series in mind.

This is not a series, this race here was a scaled down formatting test. The next time we'll see this (at least from me) it'll be an Endurance event.

TunaPhreak

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Atlantic Bluefin Tuna
  • Do or do not, there is no try.
« Reply #71 on: March 14, 2012, 10:57:57 AM »

Sorry I missed this, looks like you guys had fun and got a lot of great pics!  But with the weather the way it's been, Friday night was party night, and I had no chance of making this event :(
Race smarter, not harder!
http://www.mygranturismo.net/26145
My PSN is PsychoPhreak, not TunaPhreak. You can tune a car but you can't TunaPhreak!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up