SupaTunaGT

• May 04, 2024, 02:02:03 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

On Tuesday Nights join TheHotstepper for "Tuneless Tuesdays" (TuTu for short)

Thursday Night is "A Touch of Class" night; sponsored by Feldynn...

Check out the Career in a Year Friday nights 9pm eastern

Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 58   Go Down

Author Topic: GT Academy  (Read 70945 times)

GoesTuna11

• The Bored of Directors
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
Re: GT Academy
« Reply #420 on: June 25, 2012, 11:51:56 PM »

I'm pretty sure there are a few guys here who didn't really put in a full effort...I'm sure they had something better to do. They were just more willing to acknowledge that than others. I may have had a better time the those guys too gt11, but they're usually faster than I am.

I know that I have a better time than many who are faster than me but 22nd in Canada would be 265 in the US and was 2150 in the world.  2150 in the world is in the top 1.5% of all the people who completed 8-5.  My time was good enough for second place in division 3 at GTP.  It was the top division 3 silver time which is my division.  That may not be much to many people here but I'm quite happy with it.  My ranking in Canada is almost certainly quite a bit better than it would be if Canada had something to compete for.  I doubt that I will ever get close to 22nd in the nation for anything so I'm going to enjoy this.

InfiniTuna

• Bigeye Tuna
  • Always stay true to yourself.
« Reply #421 on: June 26, 2012, 12:44:08 AM »

I'm pretty sure there are a few guys here who didn't really put in a full effort...I'm sure they had something better to do. They were just more willing to acknowledge that than others. I may have had a better time the those guys too gt11, but they're usually faster than I am.

I know that I have a better time than many who are faster than me but 22nd in Canada would be 265 in the US and was 2150 in the world.  2150 in the world is in the top 1.5% of all the people who completed 8-5.  My time was good enough for second place in division 3 at GTP.  It was the top division 3 silver time which is my division.  That may not be much to many people here but I'm quite happy with it.  My ranking in Canada is almost certainly quite a bit better than it would be if Canada had something to compete for.  I doubt that I will ever get close to 22nd in the nation for anything so I'm going to enjoy this.

I mentioned Wiz and Ex earlier.... but there are others that deserve personal congrats too and you would be one of the GT11.   Just some great laps you guys put in.  Didn't mean to leave you out, I had just seen Wiz's final time and Ex had a post or so in there too.   

I think I could have gotten another 1/2 or so of a second if I had started this before this past Thurs., but my time would never have been sub 1:33... lol  Those that did that and some a bit lower still, wasn't an easy thing to do.... Get my respect for their accomplishments, great showing of skills guys.

Turbo-Tuna

• The Bored of Directors
  • Bigeye Tuna
« Reply #422 on: June 26, 2012, 06:23:26 AM »

The earlier stages did count, in that we had to complete them to advance. However, if they had made it so that we had to get all golds to advance, that would have sorted things differently. The only strain on the average player was in 8-5, but then the earlier prizes were in line with the effort needed, too.

PD can modify the contest, as they gain experience. If they feel that this one was too much, they can shorten it, but I'd  not like them to make it easier. Raise the bar, a bit more. Taku told me that they had learned their lessons from the problems in last year's Academy, and I bet they learned a few more this year, too.

I definitely think it should be shorter. Being long like this adds nothing to the Competition. I use a wheel and could have used a controller to gold probably every challenge 1 to 7. I golded part 6 with controller while pedalling an exercise bike. This from someone who really doesn't have the pace to compete in this type of thing. Let's be clear that it being long doesn't make it hard, it just makes it a bit of a chore. I think a good setup would have been to make entry into level 8 open, that would make it shorter for those who already have a grasp of gt5. There's no reason - competition related - to make 1 to 7 required to advance to level 8, especially when the only prizes/awards are six cars with silly paint jobs and a couple of tuners. Then maybe the level 8 challenges should actually be harder. Maybe they should be all full laps, with the final two counting for the competition.

RoninTuna

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Bigeye Tuna
  • Katana o motte

I survived the Great PSN outage of 2011

EX_stream_tuna

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
    • GT6 Photomode Album @ Flikr.com
« Reply #424 on: June 26, 2012, 07:59:56 AM »

I definitely think it should be shorter. Being long like this adds nothing to the Competition. I use a wheel and could have used a controller to gold probably every challenge 1 to 7. I golded part 6 with controller while pedalling an exercise bike. This from someone who really doesn't have the pace to compete in this type of thing. Let's be clear that it being long doesn't make it hard, it just makes it a bit of a chore. I think a good setup would have been to make entry into level 8 open, that would make it shorter for those who already have a grasp of gt5. There's no reason - competition related - to make 1 to 7 required to advance to level 8, especially when the only prizes/awards are six cars with silly paint jobs and a couple of tuners. Then maybe the level 8 challenges should actually be harder. Maybe they should be all full laps, with the final two counting for the competition.

it could be a little shorter, but I like the format of it in general.

it allowed newbies to figure out how the GT engine works and slowly get used to it over the course of many tests.

it allowed us to see who on our friends list was going to be a serious contendor come time for 8-5.  There weren't a lot of surprises on my FL of people who gave almost no effort in 1-7 and then suddently sprang forward to battle in 8-5.  I liked it that way.

Most of all, the longer format made it really feel as though it were building toward a grand finale.  The anticipation grew, and so did the hype.  The community came together.

If it were just some TT that didn't bring most of us to try it at least a little, then there would be a lot less of the community support that we've seen.

just my .02

EX_stream_tuna

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #425 on: June 26, 2012, 08:07:00 AM »

1rdly... Great time Wiz and Ex...

thanks 8

but don't forget Turbo!  He had a few tenths lower than me.  don't think he's much of a bragger though ;)

my accomplishment was really not a display of my skills, but my ability to learn quickly.

it took me several laps to get gold, then down to the 34's, many more for the 33's, and chip chip chip and finally down in mid 32 range.

when starting the final round, I did not think I'd make it as far as I did.

and that's the lesson I'm trying to show others... you are as fast as you decide to be.  it's all in YOU.  so too, is the roadblock keeping you from improving.  when the voice tells you to quit because you can't do it, punch the voice in the face!

I kept improving and then saying "well maybe there's more?  Let's see" and was surprised over and over.

In any normal order of things, I should NOT have finished as high as I did.

MasterGT

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #426 on: June 26, 2012, 11:22:58 AM »

My ranking in Canada is almost certainly quite a bit better than it would be if Canada had something to compete for.  I doubt that I will ever get close to 22nd in the nation for anything so I'm going to enjoy this.

I only put any time into 8-5 and a bit into the wet Nurburgring stretch, so I could have placed higher if there was a real incentive to do so, but then the competition would have been higher, too.

DesertSniper72

• The Bored of Directors
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
  • Front Towards Enemy
« Reply #427 on: June 26, 2012, 01:29:48 PM »

Congrats to all, especially those that did well. Not that I needed the GT Academy to confirm that we have some fast fish here, but it is nice to see. I couldn't be bothered to do anything but gold the events for the free stuff. I'm sure I could have done better, but I had no illusions of being the next academy winner.

Again, well done everyone!

Turbo-Tuna

• The Bored of Directors
  • Bigeye Tuna
« Reply #428 on: June 26, 2012, 03:14:00 PM »

27th in Canada, top 400 in USA, top 3000 in world. Not bad. 1.7 seconds behind world leader. Pretty good overall. 6th on my friends list...but I know there are guys on my list that are faster, I know there are Canadians that are faster, so while I am satisfied, I can't really brag, even if it sounds like it a bit.

Fried, Baked, Dude, stepper, eggs, rick...the list goes on. There are fast fish in these waters, and I know that s bunch of guys I beat in this TT can challenge me or beat me any day online.

Ex, adapting to a car and track is a skill required in GT5/Academy, and involves learning. The word skill can have a broad meaning. Your skill, with effort, improved your time.

RickS95

• The Bored of Directors
  • Bigeye Tuna
« Reply #429 on: June 26, 2012, 07:03:10 PM »

27th in Canada, top 400 in USA, top 3000 in world. Not bad. 1.7 seconds behind world leader. Pretty good overall. 6th on my friends list...but I know there are guys on my list that are faster, I know there are Canadians that are faster, so while I am satisfied, I can't really brag, even if it sounds like it a bit.

Fried, Baked, Dude, stepper, eggs, rick...the list goes on. There are fast fish in these waters, and I know that s bunch of guys I beat in this TT can challenge me or beat me any day online.

Ex, adapting to a car and track is a skill required in GT5/Academy, and involves learning. The word skill can have a broad meaning. Your skill, with effort, improved your time.

You're too kind, Turbo, but one of the names has to be removed from the list.  I no longer have the skills to run with a lot of you guys.  I've not put forth the effort in GT5 and the game, along with a lot of guys, has passed me by.

SlyTuna

• The Bored of Directors
  • Atlantic Bluefin Tuna
  • Raccoons are cool.
« Reply #430 on: June 26, 2012, 07:33:13 PM »

You're too kind, Turbo, but one of the names has to be removed from the list.  I no longer have the skills to run with a lot of you guys.  I've not put forth the effort in GT5 and the game, along with a lot of guys, has passed me by.

Rick... stop beating yourself up.... heck... i bet you could beat me in a race. That's how rusty i am. Keep in mind that if you think you're bad. There is always... always someone worse at things.

LooneyTuna

• The Bored of Directors
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
  • One good turn deserves another. >-)))>
« Reply #431 on: June 26, 2012, 07:46:34 PM »

It would be much easier to quit this game if there weren't so many cool fishes around.  8)

Dad is my co-pilot    Have you driven a 4rd lately?

Metal

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Atlantic Bluefin Tuna
  • LeMans & F1 :P
    • HUGS Gaming Community
« Reply #432 on: June 26, 2012, 10:57:23 PM »

I enjoyed the academy, and even though i knew i probably wouldn't have a shot at the top 32, it was fun seeing how i could compete with some of you fishes (and you non-fishes as well :D ) I did think that it stretched out a bit long...i just couldn't get myself motivated for the final few tests as much as the previous ones, but i still wanted to see where i fit. I honestly think the one i ran the least amount of laps in was 8-5, lol...

Is this thing on?
my gt profile: http://www.mygranturismo.net/33187
Youtube Channel: http://youtube.com/powermettle1520

JoshTuna

• Atlantic Bluefin Tuna
  • STGT'S resident DRIFTER
« Reply #433 on: June 27, 2012, 04:37:55 AM »

gt academy prize cars and gt academy suit (suit may only be avalible in certain countries/states) will be distibuted to gt5 from  july 4th and will be avablible to collect from gift box from ten until janurary 2013
keep the racing HARD,FAST and CLEAN never hold back and always give it your best shot

EX_stream_tuna

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #434 on: June 27, 2012, 07:39:21 AM »

unless we're racing on DRC, right?

you're still one of the best on that course, so I hear.  but yea sometimes I feel I'm getting rusty too, when just taking a week being lazy and not turning many laps.

you think you'll just pick it up where you left off, but all my inputs seem more harsh and hence slower when coming back to the game.

I'm thinking about putting "SLOW IS FAST" on my LCD TV in black sharpie...
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 58   Go Up