SupaTunaGT

• May 04, 2024, 04:32:48 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Coming Attractions?

Watch this space for new News as it develops, or...

Check out the "ONLINE EVENTS" thread...

Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 58   Go Down

Author Topic: GT Academy  (Read 70949 times)

MasterGT

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
Re: GT Academy
« Reply #645 on: July 10, 2013, 02:48:18 PM »

There are no cars with a drivers seat on the bumper.

GT's "bumpercam" has nothing to do with a POV at the bumper. Never has been there. It was always at driver eye height and roughtly in the seat, and centred on the car.

BakedTuna

• Administrator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #646 on: July 10, 2013, 03:00:17 PM »

There are no cars with a drivers seat on the bumper.

GT's "bumpercam" has nothing to do with a POV at the bumper. Never has been there. It was always at driver eye height and roughtly in the seat, and centred on the car.

At the seat but you see no dash no hood or fenderline? What kind of car gives that view at the seat centered and eyel level?
« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 03:02:36 PM by BakedTuna »

Wiz

• Tech
  • Administrator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #647 on: July 10, 2013, 03:01:27 PM »

It seems to me the topic has shifted a little.

At first, the point was that bumper cam may be an unfair advantage.  Which, given the timing bug that I believe exists, is a fair criticism.  I don't believe this bug existed in prior Academys, so that only works for this year.  That said, everyone has the opportunity to switch to bumper cam, basically making it a moot point in my eyes.

Now, it appears the topic is more about "realism", which begs the question...  should DS3 users then not be allowed to participate?  I've never seen a car with an analog stick used for steering.   :-\

To me the main point to GT Academy is, is it working?   Based on the success of Lucas, Jann, Jordan, Bryan, Wolfgang, etc., I'd say yes, it's working just fine.

MX5#98

• SOLITARY Confinement
  • Southern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #648 on: July 10, 2013, 03:02:49 PM »

At the end of the day, the winner of this competition has to do it in a real car and the camera view issue goes out the proverbial window.
Too much to cut away for just this part for a proper quote.
This is exactly why is should never enter the picture. There are no cars with a drivers seat on the bumper. So why start the comp with one like that?

And really you want to talk about lack of realism and then turn around and say bumper cam is acceptable how unreal is that view honestly mx? While not perfect, of the two, cockpit view at least comes closer to real life. That is my rebuttal to your #2

Now for #1 frame rate would not be a divisive issue as everyone would have the same framer rate issue..

Same for #3 nobody would have an advantage of seeing or not being able to see it is equal for everyone playing.

You're still missing the point. It is not equal if you get to use a view you are used to and I'm forced to use one I'm not used to. Please don't legislate my uterus!!! LOL. (Sorry, politics here in Texas have gotten a bit crazy lately). Anyways, great idea. Hope it never gets implemented.   :)
PSN ID: MX5_Racer_69
iRacing: Michael Schaefer2

BakedTuna

• Administrator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #649 on: July 10, 2013, 03:04:25 PM »

It is a multi faceted debate. Even playing field, realism are both in play.

MX5#98

• SOLITARY Confinement
  • Southern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #650 on: July 10, 2013, 03:05:05 PM »

I've never seen a car with an analog stick used for steering.   :-\

You know ... it just dawned on me. THAT WOULD BE AWESOME!! I want one. Think how much that would freak out the driver driving next to you. No steering wheel. Just a DS3 in your hands. Although it would be a bummer when the battery ran out.    :)
PSN ID: MX5_Racer_69
iRacing: Michael Schaefer2

BakedTuna

• Administrator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #651 on: July 10, 2013, 03:07:43 PM »

The joystick question is a fair one as well when they gather the potential Silverstone candidates can someone say no thanks to a wheel and use a controller?

BakedTuna

• Administrator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #652 on: July 10, 2013, 03:10:53 PM »

Mx you dont want to be forced to use a view you are uncomfortable with but it is fine if someone else has to?

Wiz

• Tech
  • Administrator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #653 on: July 10, 2013, 03:12:04 PM »

The joystick question is a fair one as well when they gather the potential Silverstone candidates can someone say no thanks to a wheel and use a controller?

No.  L_Harrison made it a year or two ago using a DS3 to the round of 32 and was forced to use a wheel.  He did not make it to Silverstone, though I believe he did quite well.

Also, don't get me wrong, I too wish to see the Academy be as fair as possible.  I just think forcing users to use a specific view and/or proper equipment would be a PR nightmare for Nissan/PD.

BakedTuna

• Administrator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #654 on: July 10, 2013, 03:13:03 PM »

Before anyone gets too pissed off at me this is all speculatory anyhow as very few if any of us would make it that far. This debate is just for poops and giggles.

BakedTuna

• Administrator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #655 on: July 10, 2013, 03:14:45 PM »

Wiz it could be offered with only one view and they already know/tell us what each of us are currently using.

Wiz

• Tech
  • Administrator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #656 on: July 10, 2013, 03:22:04 PM »

Wiz it could be offered with only one view and they already know/tell us what each of us are currently using.

I understand this.  And to be honest, I would be ok with it.

Sorry, I should have clarified better.  What I meant was, after 4 years now of the Academy being the way it's been, making the switch now to force a certain view, would be the possible PR nightmare I spoke of.

And btw, I ain't pissed at nobody.  It's a good debate I think.  :)

Turbo-Tuna

• The Bored of Directors
  • Bigeye Tuna
« Reply #657 on: July 10, 2013, 03:40:05 PM »

We (well not 'we' literally, as I'm Canadian, and slow - relatively speaking) can qualify for GT Academy in our underwear with a joint, sitting in our basements. Realism?

I think the only reason to lock out a 'view' in the car is if there truly is a game performance issue, which it seems to be what some believe.

Feldynn

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #658 on: July 10, 2013, 03:41:25 PM »

To throw another wrench into the proverbial monkeyworks this is something I think I said last year on the PSN forum I think in reference to the whole DS3 vs. Wheel debate that was raging at the time, sort of goes against my liking the idea of only one view (which I like because I liked that iRacing only had the one view, I only had 1 monitor when I played that too):

I always thought the idea of the GT Academy was to find the best video gamer and turning them into a proper race car driver, not to turn the person who uses the most realistic controller into a real driver.  If a gamer gets to a final using a controller why should he be forced to use a wheel?

I think the conversation sort of devolved into a "well you don't see cars driven by DS3 controllers!" rage at one point, though it shouldn't matter if cars are driven with a wheel / pedals or a rudder / sail if the purpose is to find the person who's best at "playing a game", it's sort of a principle thing I guess.  I think Wizard was involved in that conversation too, but I might be wrong or simply mistaken :).

Like new Starbursts I'm a man of juicy contradictions ;D... wait, that doesn't sound right!

"Not visualising the equine bestowment via it's verbilisation aperture!"

"Every silver lining has a touch of grey.."

GoesTuna11

• The Bored of Directors
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #659 on: July 10, 2013, 04:05:11 PM »

First off, the car in MIB had a controller so driving with a DS3 is totally realistic.

On a more serious note.  Take a drive in your car and pay attention to what you see while you are driving.  You don't see the dash, you don't see the ceiling, you don't even see the speedometer unless you specifically look at it.  To me, bumper cam mimics this better than cockpit.  You loose too much situational awareness in the cockpit view which in someways makes it less realistic.  Of course since you are seeing through the car in bumper cam, you see too much of the ground.  I only think this is truly an advantage on tracks like Laguna Seca where you have a steep drop off.  ALL views are a compromise and sacrifice aspects of reality.  The reason that triple screens is so great is because you can mimic a proper field of view with a cockpit but not loose you horizontal view. 
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 58   Go Up