SupaTunaGT

• May 04, 2024, 01:29:28 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

On Tuesday Nights join TheHotstepper for "Tuneless Tuesdays" (TuTu for short)

Thursday Night is "A Touch of Class" night; sponsored by Feldynn...

Check out the Career in a Year Friday nights 9pm eastern

Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 58   Go Down

Author Topic: GT Academy  (Read 70945 times)

ChromeTuna

• Global Moderator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
  • Chrome will get you home.
Re: GT Academy
« Reply #660 on: July 10, 2013, 04:06:30 PM »

Well when you consider only a small percentage of the people who even do the academy, really care about going to the end, I see no point in forcing everyone to use a certain view. How would that be any different than them forcing you to use SRF in a seasonal evnet? People don't like that either. The vast majority are probably like myself, and just play this game for fun, and have no aspirations to be a race car driver. I realize GTA is a contest to find a real driver, but it doesn't need to alienate the majority of it's fans.

Also, until they can make a game that can replicate a seat of the pants driving experience, I'll continue using a controller. My biggest complaint when I had a wheel was, I never felt connected to the car, it was more like reacting to whats going on, rather than controlling it. Bravo to all the guys who have adapted to a wheel. I needed some real feedback, not some random jerking in a plastic steering wheel. In the end it's just a game, and I'll continue to treat it as such, until I see a reason not to.
"Life is hard, when you're delicious."

MasterGT

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #661 on: July 10, 2013, 04:23:49 PM »

There are no cars with a drivers seat on the bumper.

GT's "bumpercam" has nothing to do with a POV at the bumper. Never has been there. It was always at driver eye height and roughtly in the seat, and centred on the car.

At the seat but you see no dash no hood or fenderline? What kind of car gives that view at the seat centered and eyel level?

This is the view with the New Beetle doing a GT3? Licence Test, in bumpercam view. The yellow outline is for the roof/dash/A-pillars line. This would not be possible if the POV was out front. The highlighted time and the "mirror" shadow shows how little the car moved (just inches) since the timer started. If you had a ghost that showed "blobhead", then you could see the POV eye-height, too. Nothing has changed for later versions.

I have seen some racing sims that actually do have the POV on the bumper. They are very difficult to drive. We get used to whatever view we like or use and humans are quite adaptable at switching, but any in-game restrictions are hard to overcome. That's why a lot of players have no interest in cockpit view. The best cockpit view that I have used is in Superstars V8, not GT's.

BakedTuna

• Administrator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #662 on: July 10, 2013, 04:36:48 PM »

Bumper cam gives a view of each apex you just do not get unless you are in a race kart.

Turbo-Tuna

• The Bored of Directors
  • Bigeye Tuna
« Reply #663 on: July 10, 2013, 04:38:18 PM »

"ALL views are a compromise and sacrifice aspects of reality."

well said. some parts of some games are closer to reality than others, but I believe that they all fall very short.

Turbo-Tuna

• The Bored of Directors
  • Bigeye Tuna
« Reply #664 on: July 10, 2013, 04:42:33 PM »

Bumper cam gives a view of each apex you just do not get unless you are in a race kart.

I Always use the 3rd person/chase view. As unrealistic as it gets. However, in a car IRL, with slight movements of my eyeballs, I change my entire perception of my surroundings, inside and outside of the car. This can't be done in cockpit view, so cockpit view doesn't give the reality that it tries to. No cockpit view with current technology is realistic.

MX5#98

• SOLITARY Confinement
  • Southern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #665 on: July 10, 2013, 06:33:20 PM »

Don't mean to keep singling you out, but I felt the need to reply to this as well. I agree with what several of the other guys are saying. I actually started writing in one of the other replies that I feel that the "bumper cam" as we're calling it is actually a more realistic view from the cockpit than the cockpit view. And MasterGT's responses have pretty much confirmed that. Yeah, you don't see the pillars, but it feels more like the view to me when you're in a moving car. If we had a camera setup in a fixed position in our cockpit, yeah, that fixed pillar would be an issue and it would behave like the cockpit view in the game, obstructing your view. But what actually happens is you're moving around all over the place in there. The camera pov from your eyes is actually moving, bobbing, searching, scanning and piecing together various views of the apexes to know when to brake and when to turn. If you watch the really good drivers at an autocross, for example, they aren't looking out their front window. Their head is turned and looking out the side window in the direction of the next apex with a fully unobstructed view of their line. Why? Because that's how you go fast.

The bumper cam gives me the widest possible view of the road in front of me. I use that to compensate for the lack of a real 3D car like experience where I'm able to navigate my vision around the obstructions in the cockpit by moving around. It's a trade off. But it certainly feels more real than driving with an obstructed view of the course. IMHO. BTW, I'm not mad either, so long as I don't have to drive in cockpit view. Hate that about iRacing.
PSN ID: MX5_Racer_69
iRacing: Michael Schaefer2

BakedTuna

• Administrator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #666 on: July 10, 2013, 07:13:40 PM »

Next time you have a track day and go through a right hander when you get to the apex  look at the curbing and tell me then if it matches how much of the curbing you see in bumper cam. The only way that is the same is if you are in a go kart or possibly some other open wheeled car.. If you are in a miata you dont see that much curbing.  Unless ypu have xray vision. In a full bodied car you have to know you are in the right spot.  With bumper cam the field of vision is way too clear, you can see things you normally cannot.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 07:30:37 PM by BakedTuna »

TunahCroonah

• The Bored of Directors
  • Bigeye Tuna
  • Yes, I run with scissors, and?
« Reply #667 on: July 10, 2013, 08:20:57 PM »

In the bumper cam view, if you are looking for a reference to determine the width of the car, then use the outside edges of the analog gauges as that reference.  If you touch the outside edge of the gauges to a wall, for example, you will get slowed down.  Same applies with a curb, or going off of the edge of pavement. ;)

MX5#98

• SOLITARY Confinement
  • Southern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #668 on: July 10, 2013, 08:41:52 PM »

Next time you have a track day and go through a right hander when you get to the apex  look at the curbing and tell me then if it matches how much of the curbing you see in bumper cam. The only way that is the same is if you are in a go kart or possibly some other open wheeled car.. If you are in a miata you dont see that much curbing.  Unless ypu have xray vision. In a full bodied car you have to know you are in the right spot.  With bumper cam the field of vision is way too clear, you can see things you normally cannot.

Yeah, you are right. But what I'm saying is that you have a whole lot more visual and non-visual information in that scenario. Don't underestimate the power of peripheral vision which is pretty much useless in a single screen simulator. The human brain is a magnificent 3D image processor. As you are pulling into that right hander, you're brain is sampling at a very high frequency and you use that data to draw a line that extends beyond the hood of the car in your mind. It's much like the line you draw playing pool trying to predict the path of a cue ball. But the 2D world does not give you the same amount of data to make that approximation. That's why, for me personally, the bumper cam view approximates what my mind is doing in real life the best. It's a compromise ... for me. The cockpit view would be doable. But you'd effectively be flying blind much of the time without any non-visual or peripheral data to bridge the gap. And that would represent a degradation of the driving experience, again, for me personally. This may not apply to everyone.
PSN ID: MX5_Racer_69
iRacing: Michael Schaefer2

TheHotstepper

• Global Moderator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
  • HaTUNA Matata
    • Classic Car Weekly
« Reply #669 on: July 10, 2013, 09:12:14 PM »

I Always use the 3rd person/chase view. As unrealistic as it gets. However, in a car IRL, with slight movements of my eyeballs, I change my entire perception of my surroundings, inside and outside of the car. This can't be done in cockpit view, so cockpit view doesn't give the reality that it tries to. No cockpit view with current technology is realistic.

I remember someone (years ago) calling Rodeo out for this (or just teasing him for it)... I don't remember who it was, but I remember them referring to it as the "hot air balloon tied to the back bumper cam" or something and I always thought that was hilarious 

TunahCroonah

• The Bored of Directors
  • Bigeye Tuna
  • Yes, I run with scissors, and?
« Reply #670 on: July 10, 2013, 10:02:35 PM »

I used that term when I ran with Rodeo....we did a lot of car testing and trading back in the early days of Five. ;)
I remember someone (years ago) calling Rodeo out for this (or just teasing him for it)... I don't remember who it was, but I remember them referring to it as the "hot air balloon tied to the back bumper cam" or something and I always thought that was hilarious 

CharlieTuna

• Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #671 on: July 10, 2013, 10:19:05 PM »

I call it parĂ sailing mode. ;)

Careful of tunnels...    :D
« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 10:32:43 PM by CharlieTuna »

BakedTuna

• Administrator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #672 on: July 10, 2013, 10:47:07 PM »

I like that name Charlie. So appropriate. New terminology pops up around here all the time.

Turbo-Tuna

• The Bored of Directors
  • Bigeye Tuna
« Reply #673 on: July 11, 2013, 05:20:40 AM »

I never cared much for tunnels anyway

TheHotstepper

• Global Moderator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
  • HaTUNA Matata
    • Classic Car Weekly
« Reply #674 on: July 11, 2013, 05:43:08 AM »

I used that term when I ran with Rodeo....we did a lot of car testing and trading back in the early days of Five. ;)

I kinda figured it was you...  well done!
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 58   Go Up