SupaTunaGT

• May 04, 2024, 08:48:50 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

On Tuesday Nights join TheHotstepper for "Tuneless Tuesdays" (TuTu for short)

Thursday Night is "A Touch of Class" night; sponsored by Feldynn...

Check out the Career in a Year Friday nights 9pm eastern

Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 58   Go Down

Author Topic: GT Academy  (Read 70956 times)

EX_stream_tuna

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
    • GT6 Photomode Album @ Flikr.com
Re: GT Academy
« Reply #735 on: July 26, 2013, 02:37:31 PM »

well, you didn't have as much to learn as some of us, wiz.  it's understandable that you wouldn't improve by leaps and bounds, especially having likely learned this track on another game.

for me, as stated before, Silverstone was brand new to me (thought it was a hot chick from 90s movies, not a race track) so getting around it cleanly the first few times was not at all knowing how to take each corner quickly.  I'm guessing you had a better handle on that from the git-go.

I'm starting to get rather consistent now, with some really good spots for improvement.

I'm at 2:19.808 presently, and if I got every bit of current knowledge I have into a perfect lap (for that knowledge set) I should be down in the 2:19.2xx range.

If I were to do that well, it would get me into the top 250, which is my goal.  However, several others might move into the top 250 (US) so that could put me down in the 260 range by sunday night.

Depends on what kind of mad-dash there is of people trying to get a last minute improvement in.

EX_stream_tuna

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #736 on: July 26, 2013, 02:46:30 PM »

also...

Wizard & Spec, what do you think the biggest factor of getting into the 18's from the 19's is?  Is it smoothness of inputs, or what?

I'm sure my lines aren't perfect, but even when I seem to do the exact same line as another car, they just seem to accel out better.  I knwo  Ineed better throttle and brake control, so that's a place to start...

wish we could share replays!!!!

Tuna_Girls_n1cup

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Yellowfin Tuna
« Reply #737 on: July 26, 2013, 03:38:19 PM »

X-Box, I think the biggest thing for me when trying to hit a magic lap in Time Trialing is consistency. Like I eluded to in my previous post, I had logged on previous times and hit a magic lap but didn't put much effort into it, but then again I couldn't come close to hitting a good lap again so I gave up and turned it off. In order to hit that super special lap, you need to hit a bunch of close laps multiple times in a row.

My previous best lap was a 19.2. Last night when I logged on I was running consistent low 20's, then i would figure something out, stub my toe, turn some red laps, then re-focus and before I knew it I was turning consistent 19.5's. When I began doing consistent low 19's I knew go0d things were coming. My last laps last night were all in the high 18's with mistakes, so I know if I put more time in more good things will come.

The main reason I say consistency is so important is having the confidence from turning so many laps and knowing HOW to nail the corners toward the end of a good lap. We've all had that first section that was great, but what happened? We KNOW it's a great sector and we start over-thinking the lap, we then freak out, and experience virtual death, now that great lap is nothing but a bad memory and another red lap.

Smoothness brings speed and consistency brings confidence, when you have it all you have a great lap.

It also helps to nail your braking so you can ease on the throttle early. I always have to remind myself to brake earlier than I think I do on a hot lap. 

Best of luck to everyone still cutting laps!

Wiz

• Tech
  • Administrator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #738 on: July 26, 2013, 05:04:16 PM »

well, you didn't have as much to learn as some of us, wiz.  it's understandable that you wouldn't improve by leaps and bounds, especially having likely learned this track on another game.

That's actually a good point that I didn't think of.  I've raced this track quite a bit in pCARS and a few other PC sims as well and did have pretty good knowledge of the track going in.

Depends on what kind of mad-dash there is of people trying to get a last minute improvement in.

I fully expect a pretty big shake up of the leaderboard over the next two day, for sure.

Wizard & Spec, what do you think the biggest factor of getting into the 18's from the 19's is?  Is it smoothness of inputs, or what?

That's a tough question to answer.

I think the #1 thing is to learn the trail braking technique being used to get the car to slide a bit.  I see lots of people going as far as calling it drifting, but I don't.  I think it's just a small slide during turn in while the load is still on the front, getting the rear to come around so you can hop on the gas a little sooner.  I spent one complete night just trying my best to master this technique.  Didn't care what my lap times were, just practiced it over and over.

Also, yes... smooth inputs is key.  I rarely am able to smash the gas down like I can in GT5.  Even when the car is fairly straight, you should ease on the throttle.  A 75% throttle coming out of some of the faster corners can help too.

Brake earlier than you think you need to.  Turn in earlier than you think you need to.

Wiz

• Tech
  • Administrator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #739 on: July 26, 2013, 05:16:35 PM »

Oh and use ALL of the track.

Take a few laps around and really try to learn where the penalties are/aren't.

You can cut the inside on some corners pretty hard and pick up a lot of time.

Wiz

• Tech
  • Administrator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #740 on: July 27, 2013, 10:32:14 PM »

Did a Ctrl-F search for "Tuna" on the top 250 board and came up empty.

Had to remedy that!  The top 250 needs some Tuna representation.

It's not my best lap, but TunaWiz is sitting in 166th right now with a 2:18.952 so it should last I think. 

BakedTuna

• Administrator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #741 on: July 27, 2013, 11:56:12 PM »

Way to represent. Good job Wiz.

LooneyTuna

• The Bored of Directors
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
  • One good turn deserves another. >-)))>
« Reply #742 on: July 28, 2013, 12:22:37 PM »

Way to represent. Good job Wiz.

:stoopid: NICE!
Dad is my co-pilot    Have you driven a 4rd lately?

Brindle

« Reply #743 on: July 28, 2013, 04:17:16 PM »

Did a Ctrl-F search for "Tuna" on the top 250 board and came up empty.

Had to remedy that!  The top 250 needs some Tuna representation.

It's not my best lap, but TunaWiz is sitting in 166th right now with a 2:18.952 so it should last I think. 
What are you saying?  I'm slacking?  ;)

Wiz

• Tech
  • Administrator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #744 on: July 28, 2013, 08:32:11 PM »

If any y'all want to race against a Tuna ghost in the new event that just opened up, hop on now and grab my ghost.  I'm in 5th 2nd spot at the time of this writing edit but it won't last long!  Go get it!  :)
« Last Edit: July 28, 2013, 09:38:56 PM by TunaWiz »

GoesTuna11

• The Bored of Directors
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #745 on: July 28, 2013, 09:45:49 PM »

If any y'all want to race against a Tuna ghost in the new event that just opened up, hop on now and grab my ghost.  I'm in 5th 2nd spot at the time of this writing edit but it won't last long!  Go get it!  :)

I'm 34nd in other!  Other being those other fucking countries that PD doesn't give a shit about.

Wiz

• Tech
  • Administrator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #746 on: July 29, 2013, 06:44:06 AM »

I don't know what to think of this Schulze GT-R.  Kinda drives like a boat. 

EX_stream_tuna

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #747 on: July 29, 2013, 08:38:13 AM »

thanks spec & wizard for the suggestions.

though I just read them, I found that what you wrote is completley true.

My final time = 252rd exXboxFan United States 02:19.315
(I'm calling it a top 250 finish because there are at least four ineligable canadians and one duplicate tuna ;) )

Consistency turned out to be the thing that finally got me to land a "magical" lap, as spec puts it.  That really was key.  I was frustrated with the fac tthat I had not improved in well over a week or more, and knew how to beat my ghost in a few spots.

I told myself, already late at night "I'm NOT going to sleep until I hit this".  It took a few hours of going back and forth bewteen chasing my own ghost and studying others'.  Then, I finally got to a point where the improved lap was in sight.  I was consistently getting close to my best, and once was only a few thousandths off.

Then I finally beat it by .101  then again several laps later, beat that new time by .3xx or so.  I improved roughly by .5

What sucks is that on my best final lap, I was .7xx faster at the last time check, then lost around .35x on the last section.

I should have been in the 18's if I nailed that.  I considered continuing, but it was already dawn...  :o

I am really loving the physics in GT6's demo, and honestly going back to GT5 seems kind of bland.  I can't wait for a full version of 6!!

Wiz

• Tech
  • Administrator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #748 on: July 29, 2013, 09:15:41 AM »

I know of 9 duplicates/ineligibles in the top 250 and I'm sure there's plenty more.

The 4 Let_Canada_In accounts
Me
GTP_carracer & carracerptp are the same person
ATW_Hero & EpicGonzago3 are the same person
fasj6418 lives in Brazil
GoFasterSpiffy is someones alt, can't remember who though.

I kept an eye on the leaderboard all day yesterday and saw you snuck into the top 250. I think you were 248th when I first saw your name.  You then fell to 250th and sat there for a few hours until about 5ish.  Once you rolled on to page 2 at 251st, I felt terrible for putting TunaWiz up on the list.  Then once you fell to 252nd, I gotta be honest and say I felt a little better.

No matter what you're top 250 in my eyes...  Congrats man!  I know you put in a lot of work and it looks like it paid off.  I went to bed around 4am and I think you were still on.   ^-^    A 19.315 is a kickass lap!  :)

RickS95

• The Bored of Directors
  • Bigeye Tuna
« Reply #749 on: July 29, 2013, 09:17:27 AM »

I got busy with life and didn't run a single full lap.  I'm sure I could have cracked the top 2,000 in the US.
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 58   Go Up