SupaTunaGT

• May 16, 2024, 04:11:34 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

On Tuesday Nights join TheHotstepper for "Tuneless Tuesdays" (TuTu for short)

Thursday Night is "A Touch of Class" night; sponsored by Feldynn...

Check out the Career in a Year Friday nights 9pm eastern

Linked Events

• ToC: Rally on some dirt: September 13, 2012
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Modern Rally @ Random Dirt Tracks  (Read 1560 times)

Wiz

• Tech
  • Administrator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
Modern Rally @ Random Dirt Tracks
« on: September 12, 2012, 08:59:18 AM »

================
Class in Session
================

=======
Track:  Random Dirt Tracks
=======

When: Thursday, September 13rd
Official Running Time: 4-11:00pm EDT
Lounge:  HostTuna
Lounge PP Limit:  525
Car Setup: Open
Tires:  Dirt
Grid:  Reverse grid based on previous results
Start Times:  Auto clock set to 6 mins
Lap Count: Adjust per track

Wrinkles:  None! Race clean, race hard, have fun!
« Last Edit: September 12, 2012, 09:04:31 AM by TunaWiz »

Wiz

• Tech
  • Administrator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
Re: Modern Rally @ Random Dirt Tracks
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2012, 09:00:54 AM »

Whoever joins first, pick a dirt track.  Stay there all night or switch it up... whatever the room wants to do. 

AgentWD40_FL

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Southern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2012, 09:03:32 AM »

I am all over this ... Awesome!  Thanks for setting it up!

EX_stream_tuna

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
    • GT6 Photomode Album @ Flikr.com
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2012, 12:28:48 PM »

yea sounds fun.  I'm glad I occasionally can race rally because I say it is severely underutilized in GT5.  However, I understand the reasoning behind not using the dirt tracks much, given the motor issues in some wheels, and the lack of visibility when chasing.

I will say that the dirt/snow tracks that are fixed, as in, not randomly generated, can be learned and then you can sort of see though the show/dust with your mind's eye. :o

AgentWD40_FL

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Southern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2012, 02:45:47 PM »

The inability to see through a dust cloud really affects the value of rally for some racers.  Personally, it doesnt bother me, but I do wish I had a co-pilot to guide me (such as whats used in the Rally Special Events) so I wouldnt have to take my eyes off the road to look at the map when I'm that close behind someone.

To get around that, DSO came up with a great RALLY TARGA System that lots of us really liked.  No issues with blindness, because the field was staggered on lap1 for separation of cars (no passing/drafting allowed during hotlaps), but it does take alittle organization with setup, book keeping after each heat, and of course the honor system amongst drivers to post correct fastest lap time of 3 hot laps per heat.  What really kept it fresh was using generated rally tracks and regenerating them before each heat race.  It was pointless to practice before race time to get an edge, and that meant it evened out the field considerably at race time. It was all about skill between you, the car, and the track.  Tuning was prohibited and damage was maxed.  Times for 5-8 heats would then be tabulated and posted to see the final results.  Those were always interesting and surprising to see!

It was mucho fun on the dirt ... fun fun times!

Wiz

• Tech
  • Administrator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2012, 02:54:02 PM »

We did something (somewhat) similar for a Season of TunaCup a while back ( http://www.supatunagt.com/smf/index.php?topic=1858.0 )

4 cars on track and we each took off at 15 second intervals and Brindle tallied up team totals at the end of the night.  Twas a lot o' fun.

AgentWD40_FL

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Southern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2012, 03:03:30 PM »

Hey ... now thats cool!  Nicely done!  When I get some time tonight, I'll read through that thread

AgentWD40_FL

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Southern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2012, 05:27:58 PM »

Just took a glimpse at my go-to rally car .... yikes, 2200+ miles on it. Did I race that much? Ya I did ... I like Rally.

My #2 has 1200 on it .... geesh, I need a life  :lolz

Grilled Tuna

• Yellowfin Tuna
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2012, 05:46:47 PM »

kinda glad my online odometer is broken... ::)

AgentWD40_FL

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Southern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2012, 05:59:50 PM »

I saw in the other thread, mentioned a couple posts back of this one, that there was some concern of damage to the motor/gears of their wheels.  In my case, my DFGT feels exactly the same as the day I bought it. My FFB is set to 3, with occasional rally races thrown in with the plug pulled (bad shoulder that hurts sometimes).

Your mileage may vary, of course .... but I've had no wheel trouble with the torture I've put it through.

BTW ... My #1 car is a standard car, so probably had a bunch of miles on it, when it was bought way way back.  The #2 car is a Premium, so it definately had 0 miles. 1200+ miles minimum of shake rattle and roll ... and the DFGT is still great.

EX_stream_tuna

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
    • GT6 Photomode Album @ Flikr.com
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2012, 08:30:37 AM »

some say the G27's have issues with motors breaking from heavy damage seettings and rally usage, but I'd say, "tough it up and race"

for the evneing, take the FFB setting and turn it way down if it bothers you..

I have a DFGT as well Agent,  I've had to turn it down to 3 (from 10 for over a year) recently because I noticed that some of my arm muslces were not getting any workout throughout my day and only certain muslces were, due to the high FFB setting.

if you regularly excersize (i'm staring to out of necessity) then higher FFb is okay, but i've really had to scale back to keep from injuring myself.

AgentWD40_FL

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Southern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2012, 05:21:11 AM »

Had great time last night!  Mucho fun playin' in the dirt!

Like the second or third race, I had an equipment malfunction.  My wheel came off the base, and when it did, it caught my mic and tore the taped up boom off the ear piece.  Great ... now I get to try to fix that again ...  :laugh

Tips for rally:
 :) Keep sliding to a minimum ... this isn't drifting.
 :) Slow in, fast out (Always important, but rally demands a good entry to get the nose pointed/set for the exit)
 :) Tranny setup is most important.  If hovering at redlining, it will spin the tires. Spinning tires = no grip = no speed. Paying attention to the HP/Torque curve will tell you were your RPM's should be.  Your looking for peak torque, not peak HP. There was only one spot that I would hit 4th gear, and it was only for a second or two. 2nd and 3rd gear was all I was using.

I really felt the rust last night ... I hope we all can get out there again soon.  I have such a blast on the snow and dirt!

It was alot of fun with you all!
« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 05:27:24 AM by AgentWD40_FL »
Pages: [1]   Go Up