Online Events > GT Endurance Racing

Restrictor plate racing

(1/4) > >>

RoninTuna:
Last night after some Laguna Seca practice Feldynn, Allstar, Jayz and I did some conceptual testing for some Nascar Restrictor plate racing. After a couple ten lap stints we had not found the exact power level for Jayz's desired results but we did however find a lot of paletability in the oval racing.

We started out with the cars cut down to 50% and they fell about fifteen miles an hour shy of what we where looking to achieve. by the time I left for work we had the cars running around 480 HP which was still a little slow. Jayz said he was going to continue working on the specifics of the power output. I figure in the mean time I can post this thread and open it for discussion and some thoughts as well as gauge interest in some possible old fashioned restrictor plate endurance races.

And hopefully whoever decides to drive the #42 Target car won't go out and smoke the jet dryers when we do race  :laugh

Feldynn:
It was certainly an interesting experiment, after Ronin left Psychophreak joined so we stayed at 4 and I think we finally settled at 503hp.

Generally I'm not too keen on racing on oval tracks, drafting and such but I did enjoy the testing, some of that might have been down to the jovial testing atmosphere and even though the test races were fairly short (10 laps) we did throw out "Cautions" so everyone could stay together for drafting.

One thing that did strike me last night is that it would likely make a great team event, basically so you always have a partner to bump draft with. 

On a side note I'm also curious to see how the detuned Nascars work on road courses too, I've tried the full power ones before and found them a bit unwieldy but if they're easier to control at around 500hp then it might open up the possibility of a race series too as well as a single endurance race.

For those that really like the side by side oval racing I think this definitely has a lot of potential!

DesertSniper72:
I have wondered why the Nascars haven't been put on road tracks. I would think that would be fun, but everyone seems to think they can only run on ovals.

RoninTuna:

--- Quote from: Feldynn on February 28, 2012, 08:27:42 AM ---It was certainly an interesting experiment, after Ronin left Psychophreak joined so we stayed at 4 and I think we finally settled at 503hp.

Generally I'm not too keen on racing on oval tracks, drafting and such but I did enjoy the testing, some of that might have been down to the jovial testing atmosphere and even though the test races were fairly short (10 laps) we did throw out "Cautions" so everyone could stay together for drafting.
--- End quote ---

So 503 seems to be the spot then, Do we want to arrange a larger scale test on this?

--- Quote from: Feldynn on February 28, 2012, 08:27:42 AM ---One thing that did strike me last night is that it would likely make a great team event, basically so you always have a partner to bump draft with. 

On a side note I'm also curious to see how the detuned Nascars work on road courses too, I've tried the full power ones before and found them a bit unwieldy but if they're easier to control at around 500hp then it might open up the possibility of a race series too as well as a single endurance race.

For those that really like the side by side oval racing I think this definitely has a lot of potential!

--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: DesertSniper72 on February 28, 2012, 10:00:27 AM ---I have wondered why the Nascars haven't been put on road tracks. I would think that would be fun, but everyone seems to think they can only run on ovals.

--- End quote ---

I've done this before and it did make for some good racing. Even backed down just a little bit the car really came in, I want to say it was about 75% made the car handle rather well at Indy road course. I can't remember exactly what the numbers were at the moment but I think it was 650 HP that I ran with some of the TPRA guys at Monza. Once for shits and giggles I took on Allstar at Autumn ring mini on one tuned down to 450 HP. So yeah, it is viable.

TunahCroonah:
Last night, JayZ606 pondered about the real vs game Nascar Cars and came up with the Idea to de-tune them (restrictor Plates). Restrictor plates are used at the bigger, longer tracks in Nascar to keep the racing reasonably safe. So we picked out a HP/Wt and Tire mix and started to run them to get close to the specs that were run at the Daytona 500.

Getting into that action last night reminded me of just how much fun "pack" racing can be when done properly.  We all had a great time and at 503 HP and 1565kg (what we finally decided was working the best), the cars were really well behaved.  One could brush the wall and recover rather nicely.  The slight touch of one's front bumper on the rear quarter panel of another, however, can cause chaos, just like IRL, so care must be taken when bump drafting.  But carefully driven, it can be a lot of white knuckle fun.  There is a level of comfort in the stability of these cars at the above mentioned specs. And realistically, we were running 49.9 sec. laps and hitting about 185 mph on the straights - just like the real Daytona 500 TT's.   It's definitely worth a hard look at not only endurance (perhaps even a 200miler)racing but perhaps a series of races at different tracks.  

This afternoon, we tried running those same specs at Monza with mixed results as the cars were set up for oval racing.
Tracks that could be a lot of fun:
Daytona Superspeedway, DRC, IMS (Indy Speedway), Indy Road, Laguna Seca, Monza, Spa, HSR, Grand Valley, and perhaps even Le Mans.  

Whether it is endurance racing at these tracks or just a series, it's something to think about.

O.K., Ronin.... I did my schtick  :laugh  Get moving,  

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version