Online Events > GT Endurance Racing

Possible... "Petite LeMans" 4 to 6HR

(1/3) > >>

Brindle:
Last night, I had a chat with Ballistic and he mentioned wanting to do some evnet that requires team communication.  He proposes all participants "mute" each other, except for their teamate/s.  This brought on it being usefull for ovals, or enduros, where information between teamates "kept in private" may benefit.

Then all hell broke loose.  I was remembering how Baked always said he would love to have a timing monitor wile in the pits, just like F1.  Well, a light bulb went off...  What if we ran another enduro with the same format as my last one (all participants on track taking turns), but this time we add an extra team member to act as "spotter" by "watching" the race instead of driving in it.

We wanted to get an idea before we went any further as to the interest in this idea of a "spotter" that doesn't race.  The format can be either 5 teams of 3 (2 drivers, 1 spotter) which give 5 people on track at any given time, or 3 teams of 5 (4 drivers, 1 spotter, 2 teammates on track at the same time) which gives 6 people on track at any given time.

What ya'll think?

TheHotstepper:
I like the idea of teammates muting everyone else so only they can talk to each other... but I'm wondering what a spotter would actually do?

Wiz:

RoninTuna:

--- Quote from: Brindle on June 02, 2012, 04:05:55 PM ---Last night, I had a chat with Ballistic and he mentioned wanting to do some evnet that requires team communication.  He proposes all participants "mute" each other, except for their teamate/s.  This brought on it being usefull for ovals, or enduros, where information between teamates "kept in private" may benefit.

Then all hell broke loose.  I was remembering how Baked always said he would love to have a timing monitor wile in the pits, just like F1.  Well, a light bulb went off...  What if we ran another enduro with the same format as my last one (all participants on track taking turns), but this time we add an extra team member to act as "spotter" by "watching" the race instead of driving in it.

We wanted to get an idea before we went any further as to the interest in this idea of a "spotter" that doesn't race.  The format can be either 5 teams of 3 (2 drivers, 1 spotter) which give 5 people on track at any given time, or 3 teams of 5 (4 drivers, 1 spotter, 2 teammates on track at the same time) which gives 6 people on track at any given time.

What ya'll think?

--- End quote ---
Well...I like the element of realism this would bring but I honestly believe you'll be hard pressed to find people willing to simply spectate a 4 to six hour race. Additionally, PD hasn't really given us the greatest views to really utilize spotters to the fullest. A lot of tracks have blind spots and you can't use any other views during online spectator mode.

As for the Mute all but team mates, I love it.

--- Quote from: TheHotstepper on June 02, 2012, 04:14:01 PM ---I like the idea of teammates muting everyone else so only they can talk to each other... but I'm wondering what a spotter would actually do?

--- End quote ---

It may be a little hard to see at the moment because we have open communication with other drivers and are accustomed to it. Take that communication away and the world stands on it's head. Run in a room with the mic disabled for a wile and you find your self wishing you had some one to tell you "car high", "Car low", "Clear" and so on and so fourth.
--- Quote from: TunaWiz on June 02, 2012, 06:07:07 PM ---

--- End quote ---

Yeah, sorry about the unannounced move, I was in a hurry to get onto the track when I moved it. Threads like this one are exactly why I asked Charlie to put this subforum in for.

Metal:
That sounds pretty cool, and you know i'm all about the enduros... I do agree that it would kinda suck to be there for 4-6 hrs doing nothing but spectating. However, i do like the team idea, and the 2 drivers working together on track is an additional layer that is super cool IMO. Side question - for cars, was this going to be unrestricted, or using 2-3 classes?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version