SupaTunaGT

• May 02, 2024, 02:29:00 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Coming Attractions?

Watch this space for new News as it develops, or...

Check out the "ONLINE EVENTS" thread...

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 32   Go Down

Author Topic: Iracing  (Read 45707 times)

Lonestar

• Yellowfin Tuna
Re: Iracing
« Reply #45 on: May 10, 2012, 03:37:59 PM »

The cts v just got released for free. I havent raced much of anything lately but im gonna give it a shot tonight. Also Ill send you a request tonight spec

Metal

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Atlantic Bluefin Tuna
  • LeMans & F1 :P
    • HUGS Gaming Community
« Reply #46 on: May 12, 2012, 10:54:07 AM »

The cts v just got released for free. I havent raced much of anything lately but im gonna give it a shot tonight. Also Ill send you a request tonight spec

I have heard the CTS-V is awesome to drive

Is this thing on?
my gt profile: http://www.mygranturismo.net/33187
Youtube Channel: http://youtube.com/powermettle1520

Lonestar

• Yellowfin Tuna
« Reply #47 on: May 17, 2012, 06:42:17 PM »

iRacing. Yes. I love it. The biggest thing that stands out to me with iRacing is no cheese-ball draft. You can race MX-5's with a .60 gap for laps on end and not have a guarantee that the guy behind you will fly by on the next straight. You earn the pass.

I tried like hell not to spend to much, but a month and a half in I now own Road Atlanta, Sebring, Spa, and some neat cars.

"Spa is so choice.......if you have the means I highly recommend it." Ferris Bueller

PS: Gar joined up last night too. It was fun cutting up Lime Rock with him. If you have a pc it's worth a 3 month trial. Just give it a chance, it's very different to GT5 and can get frustrating if you don't give it time.

:)

I couldnt agree more. I am a class b license with oval but still a D on road. I plan on getting that up so I can race those C6r's. Have you seen the F1 iracing championship series? Those guys are absolutely amazing

Lonestar, what is your real name? I'll look you up on iRacing. I've been focusing a lot on the Mustang series, if you like great sounding semi-fast cars with plastic tires, then you should give it a try.

I'm John Wilding, look me up and shoot me a pm.

Cheers!

PS: Anyone still curious and thinking of joining?

I sent u a friend request. Just getting back into the road side so I have been doing a lot of Mazda cup. I host rooms as well. Indy cars at DRC is a blast. Mustangs are on my list to buy next along with a few more road courses. I heard there bringing Ruf Porsche as well as a gt500. Very excited about this game going forward.

Lonestar

• Yellowfin Tuna
« Reply #48 on: June 26, 2012, 07:30:59 PM »

« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 04:42:26 PM by Lonestar »

Tuna_Girls_n1cup

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Yellowfin Tuna
« Reply #49 on: June 26, 2012, 08:24:50 PM »

Sweet video!

I plan on getting back on iRacing mid July after my vacation. I'm looking forward to it.

What's your name Lonestar?

Cheers!

LooneyTuna

• The Bored of Directors
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
  • One good turn deserves another. >-)))>
Dad is my co-pilot    Have you driven a 4rd lately?

TheHotstepper

• Global Moderator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
  • HaTUNA Matata
    • Classic Car Weekly
« Reply #51 on: June 27, 2012, 06:07:02 AM »

Went to a baseball game the other night and it was "race night" at the ballpark. There were a bunch of NASCAR cars parked all over the place and Richard Petty and Aric Almirola threw out the first pitch(es).

Anyway, I went walking and found this little tent that said Planters on it and they had a sweet looking sim sitting there. It was running iRacing at Kentucky Speedway. I asked what I had to buy/sign up for to try it. They said "a waiver."

So I hopped in because I've always wanted to try it and my computer is "so 2008" and can't run it.

It was okay... the wheel had odd feedback and I was kind of put off by the chair leaning in the corners (cool at first, immediately annoying after that).

What do you iracing folk think of the physics and feedback from the car? I know the physics are supposed to be spot on... but the cup car I was driving just sort of snapped and the steering wheel didn't have the force feedback for me to even notice it was happening.

I'd love to make sure my new computer is up to the task if/when I get one but I'm fearful that the jump from GT to iracing would be like starting over.

Tuna_Girls_n1cup

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Yellowfin Tuna
« Reply #52 on: June 27, 2012, 06:38:24 AM »

At a stoplight so I can't elaborate. But to be quick to answer you. Yes. It's kind of like starting over, but it's worth it.

Tuna_Girls_n1cup

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Yellowfin Tuna
« Reply #53 on: June 27, 2012, 06:46:03 AM »

Don't let my previous post scare you. There are things to adapt to, like no ABS and being forced to use the interior view.

Put it this way, I'm a slow learning old man; so I'm either on one sim or the other. My preference now is iRacing due to the scheduling, race season structure, and stats.

The main item you'll need on your pc is decent memory and a good video card. I jacked an old  computer from my company and added ram and a $80 video card and it runs at 100fps on high graphics settings. It's amazing. It's also a dedicated machine and sits next to my PS3.

If you do give it a shot, give it a fair shake, the first time I tried it I didn't like it because I gave up to soon.

Thank goodness for lots of traffic and rain eh? :)

GoesTuna11

• Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #54 on: June 27, 2012, 09:11:58 AM »

Don't let my previous post scare you. There are things to adapt to, like no ABS and being forced to use the interior view.

Put it this way, I'm a slow learning old man; so I'm either on one sim or the other. My preference now is iRacing due to the scheduling, race season structure, and stats.

The main item you'll need on your pc is decent memory and a good video card. I jacked an old  computer from my company and added ram and a $80 video card and it runs at 100fps on high graphics settings. It's amazing. It's also a dedicated machine and sits next to my PS3.

If you do give it a shot, give it a fair shake, the first time I tried it I didn't like it because I gave up to soon.

Thank goodness for lots of traffic and rain eh? :)

Any more insight into the differences between iracing and GT5?  I bought LFS during the prologue days and felt that they were pretty close overall.  The biggest difference was when braking.  On the one hand braking was more unstable.  The car tended to break loose more and you could skid the wheels by downshifting too early. On the other hand, No abs in lfs was much more controllable since you had much better feel for when the wheels were breaking loose and they behaved more realistically when they did.  On LFS it was a lot easier to get a feel for your slip angle in a corner and adjust accordingly.  I don't get that feel in GT5.  It'd really be nice if we could have an unbiased comparison of the physics between different games such as iracing, gt5, forza, project cars, rfactor2, etc.  In most forums these kind of talks degenerate quickly and it's hard to get a genuine idea of the differences.

GoesTuna11

• Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #55 on: June 27, 2012, 09:13:17 AM »

One thing that kills me about iracing is that the basic subscription only gives you access to 4 road tracks.  I have no use for 6 ovals.

Wiz

• Tech
  • Administrator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #56 on: June 27, 2012, 09:49:54 AM »

like being forced to use the interior view.

As silly as it may sound, this could possibly be a deal breaker for me.  I can't stand cockpit view.

DudeTuna

• The Bored of Directors
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #57 on: June 27, 2012, 10:00:40 AM »

like being forced to use the interior view.

As silly as it may sound, this could possibly be a deal breaker for me.  I can't stand cockpit view.

this^

And I bet this is why I see a lot of multi screen videos of iracing.

Lonestar

• Yellowfin Tuna
« Reply #58 on: June 27, 2012, 04:41:08 PM »

I am not a car expert so take this for what its worth. Imagine this supa tuna page being iracing.com.  You have all the forums, setups, friends etc. but you can also just hit race at the top and get after it. The community is very mature and there are a lot of people way smarter than me to help you out with tunes, cars, tracks etc.

Im still just getting going to the road side of my license and it seems that the slower cars you really have to slide it around to be quick. But your tires also give out a lot quicker doing that. I have never experienced brake wear in a game before that I can recall and iracing does. Once you get out of the rookie classes the racing gets much more realistic. There is a lot more give going on then  I have ever seen. I also see much more dramatic differences in car behavior from the slightest tweaks in air pressure, camber etc. Im racing the mustang series right now and it is awesome.

There is a sanctioned series for every class of cars in the game. The races run from 1-3 hours apart depending on how popular the series is. There are always open practice rooms and test rooms for tuning before the start of these races. Most of the lower class races are around 30 minutes long from what I can tell. And there are no breaks in oval. If the yellow comes out your still driving that car.

The absolute coolest feature is sending a tune to a friend. Its as easy as loading it in your car, hitting share and then they have it. No more of the long drawn out tuning.

Oval is awesome. My biggest gripe is that the draft is too weak on restrictor plate races. If you on the outside lane at daytona you will not get by the inside line unless someone is pushing you perfectly and sometimes takes a lap or 2 to complete.

The trucks are great and they are even some fixed setup series now since some of these guys are just to good to compete with.

This game is not for everyone. GT5 and Forza are still the best for logging on and screwing around on the track for a couple of hours. This game takes patience and time. If you are looking for solid serious racing then this game is unlike any other I have played. The 3 month deal for $14 is defintely worth the hours you will spend trying out all the rookie class events and cars. Try it out and then make a decision.

GoesTuna11

• Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #59 on: July 07, 2012, 09:18:46 AM »

Memberships are half off until the end of July.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 32   Go Up