SupaTunaGT

• May 02, 2024, 12:31:39 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

On Tuesday Nights join TheHotstepper for "Tuneless Tuesdays" (TuTu for short)

Thursday Night is "A Touch of Class" night; sponsored by Feldynn...

Check out the Career in a Year Friday nights 9pm eastern

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 32   Go Down

Author Topic: Iracing  (Read 45703 times)

GoesTuna11

• Pacific Bluefin Tuna
Re: Iracing
« Reply #60 on: July 08, 2012, 11:47:05 AM »

I have a few questions.

How long are the rookie races and how often are they scheduled?  Specifically, I am looking for road races that run around 9:30 pst on Saturdays or Sundays.  None of the race series here are late enough.

How do the rookie race series work?  Can you use any of the beginner cars or are you locked into one at first?  Are there scheduled races that you are expected to make or is it mostly drop in?

Does iRacing model track temperature or are you always racing in the same conditions?  Do the tracks change during races i.e. does off the racing line become slipperier as marbles collect offline?

Is a G25 good enough or should you really have a load cell brake?  Do you need to do heel toe shifting?

What kind of telemetry support is there for replays?  Is there something like the data logger in GT5?  In LFS, I could import replays into an separate program and analyze them in much more detail than you can in GT5.

Thanks

GoesTuna11

• Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #61 on: July 09, 2012, 09:11:09 PM »

I found a better deal.  Cadillac is giving way free 6-month subscriptions which also include infineon, mosport, and mid-ohio tracks.  Just register at www.cadillaccupracing.com
That's a really great deal for anyone who is thinking of trying the game out.

GoesTuna11

• Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #62 on: July 09, 2012, 09:26:36 PM »

Ronin, in Iracing everyone automatically gets different numbers for what I hear.

Tuna_Girls_n1cup

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Yellowfin Tuna
« Reply #63 on: July 10, 2012, 08:41:32 AM »

I found a better deal.  Cadillac is giving way free 6-month subscriptions which also include infineon, mosport, and mid-ohio tracks.  Just register at www.cadillaccupracing.com
That's a really great deal for anyone who is thinking of trying the game out.

I saw this deal over at GTP and was going to post it here but you beat me to it. That's one he'll of a deal; kind of a no brainer. If anyone joins and has questions feel free to post them here, I'll do my best to answer them.

I've been away from my laptop the past few days, but should be getting a lot of laptop time over the next week.

Also, if anyone joins and they ask for a referral email address give them johnswilding@gmail.com.  :)

Rek

• The Bored of Directors
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
  • "Global Peace Through Deadly Force"
« Reply #64 on: July 10, 2012, 08:57:18 AM »

Ronin, in Iracing everyone automatically gets different numbers for what I hear.
:lolz

GoesTuna11

• Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #65 on: July 10, 2012, 03:16:54 PM »

Also, if anyone joins and they ask for a referral email address give them johnswilding@gmail.com.  :)

Signed up last night and used your email. It pays to have it visible in your profile. I sent you a friends request too.

Tuna_Girls_n1cup

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Yellowfin Tuna
« Reply #66 on: July 10, 2012, 08:16:53 PM »

Signed up last night and used your email. It pays to have it visible in your profile. I sent you a friends request too.

Thanks, I just logged in and accepted it!  :)

To answer some of your most recent questions:

How long are the rookie races and how often are they scheduled?  Specifically, I am looking for road races that run around 9:30 pst on Saturdays or Sundays.  None of the race series here are late enough.

Usually 20 minutes (if my memory serves me correctly) You can find pretty active rookie races all day. I think all you need is 8 participants for the race to go official.

How do the rookie race series work?  Can you use any of the beginner cars or are you locked into one at first?  Are there scheduled races that you are expected to make or is it mostly drop in?

You can use any of the rookie cars, which now include the Caddy! Of course each car has it's own series or is a part of a multi-class series.

Does iRacing model track temperature or are you always racing in the same conditions?  Do the tracks change during races i.e. does off the racing line become slipperier as marbles collect offline?

I don't believe that the physics are that advanced that they will play with track temp. I know they don't have variable weather.

Is a G25 good enough or should you really have a load cell brake?  Do you need to do heel toe shifting?

The G25/27 is a very popular wheel. There are also great load cell options for it, if you desire to upgrade your setup.

What kind of telemetry support is there for replays?  Is there something like the data logger in GT5?  In LFS, I could import replays into an separate program and analyze them in much more detail than you can in GT5.

Look up iSpeed in the forum, it's a free software and you have the ability to overlay your fast lap vs. anyone's (who uses iSpeed) fast lap. It's an amazing tool. There is also a neat live telemetry tool that I fell in love with. I can't remember what the default way to turn it on right now though...I'm very far from my rig.

Also, Forgetful from old TPRA and Driversport signed up. That's two more GT5-ers.

I always said that it was the perfect sim except two things..... 1. a ton of cars and 2. the awesome community that we've gotten accustomed to with the GT series. The more that join the merrier!

GoesTuna11

• Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #67 on: July 11, 2012, 12:03:54 PM »

like being forced to use the interior view.

As silly as it may sound, this could possibly be a deal breaker for me.  I can't stand cockpit view.

My biggest problem with the cockpit view is that you can't see the mirrors properly with a one screen view.  Iracing allows you to use the magic GT bumper cam mirror.  That makes cockpit view more tolerable.  I think you can also adjust things like fov in iracing.  Cockpit view is really needed to fully appreciate the corkscrew at Laguna Seca.  That turn must be pretty scary in real life.

Lonestar

• Yellowfin Tuna
« Reply #68 on: July 11, 2012, 05:54:51 PM »

Your spotter is crucial. Learn to trust him. He is never wrong wither

GoesTuna11

• Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #69 on: July 13, 2012, 12:03:44 PM »

I've tried some laps at a few different tracks and cars.  I spent most of my time testing the mazda cup car at Lime rock park.  The game has lots of cool features like being able to join a race as a ghost car.  It is a little overwhelming at times.  Not sure what to think of the physics yet.  Sometimes it feels really good and other times I spin for no apparent reason.  The physics engine or maybe just the car setups are more biased to oversteer.  Too much steering in GT usually ends in understeer,  too much steering in iracing sends you for a spin.  That's pretty easy to feel. 

I was hoping to try some races this weekend but it appears that I'm way off the pace in the 1'05s at limerock so I might just practice and join some practice sessions (practice with other cars on the track).

Anyone know where I can get replays of better drivers at limerock in the mazda cup car? (Spec? Lonestar?) 

Tuna_Girls_n1cup

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Yellowfin Tuna
« Reply #70 on: July 13, 2012, 07:58:00 PM »

Keep joining practice rooms until you get fully up to speed. The other option is you can join a race and start from the pits. If it's a fixed setup, which I think it is, then focus on braking and steering input on turn in. Keep at it man; iRacing is much less forgiving then GT.

I find that when I transition back and forth I always have a steep learning curve to fully adapt to each sim; of course the learning curve to get up to speed at iRacing is usually much steeper.

GoesTuna11

• Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #71 on: July 14, 2012, 12:53:42 AM »

Joined a couple of practice rooms.  I actually passed someone and I don't think anyone passed me. Got my time down to 1'01.3xx but I'm still inconsistent. I even ran a ghost race. That was pretty fun.

Lonestar

• Yellowfin Tuna
« Reply #72 on: July 14, 2012, 01:56:08 AM »

get past the rookie license. Buy the mustang, Riley Prototype. Then Thank me(Im wasted)

Tuna_Girls_n1cup

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Yellowfin Tuna
« Reply #73 on: July 14, 2012, 07:50:25 PM »

Lonestar speaks the truth. I had fun with the MX-5 and had some nice successes in the MX-5-Jetta races (with both cars), but then I got the Mustang and thought I'd give it a shot. I ended up competing in the whole 12 week championship. It was my first full championship in sim racing and it was a blast. There are some tricks to competing in an entire championship and maximizing your points, but we can discuss that later.

The best thing about iRacing is that you can race for a championship event any night of the week; you don't have to be at your computer (or PS3) for the one race that is going to be run on that one night...you have flexibility in case real life gets in the way. I loved that because when you have a 4 year old and a business you never know what is coming down the road, so if you get unfortunately busy on your "race night" you can make it up a different night. Also, your qualifying time sticks the whole week, and they allow you to improve if you desire. Lot's of fun in my opinion.  :)

Also, I think the Rookie MX-5 series runs on 4 week championships unlike the other classes. FYI.

GoesTuna11

• Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #74 on: July 15, 2012, 12:10:14 AM »

Lonestar speaks the truth. I had fun with the MX-5 and had some nice successes in the MX-5-Jetta races (with both cars), but then I got the Mustang and thought I'd give it a shot. I ended up competing in the whole 12 week championship. It was my first full championship in sim racing and it was a blast. There are some tricks to competing in an entire championship and maximizing your points, but we can discuss that later.

The best thing about iRacing is that you can race for a championship event any night of the week; you don't have to be at your computer (or PS3) for the one race that is going to be run on that one night...you have flexibility in case real life gets in the way. I loved that because when you have a 4 year old and a business you never know what is coming down the road, so if you get unfortunately busy on your "race night" you can make it up a different night. Also, your qualifying time sticks the whole week, and they allow you to improve if you desire. Lot's of fun in my opinion.  :)

Also, I think the Rookie MX-5 series runs on 4 week championships unlike the other classes. FYI.

The mustang series looks like it will cost around $100 to run.  Lots of tracks and one car.  I'll probably go with the advance rookie racing next and then maybe think about the cadillac series since I have all the tracks for that one.  They came free with the cadillac promotion.

I have a 3 month old and a 3 year old and live on the west coast so it's hard to find a series to race.  iRacing looks like it might fit the bill.

After a lot of practice, I got my best time down to 1'00.xxx on limerock so I decided to give a race to go.  I heard the advice somewhere to start your first races from the pit so you can avoid problems with the first turns.  So I started from the pit.  As I entered turns 1 and 2, I saw that three cars had gone off road.  I went from 9th to 6th in the first couple of turns (there were 10 in the race, apparently someone else started in the pits).  The problem with starting in the pits is that you can get stuck behind some slow people.  I got stuck behind someone doing about 1'05s.  I was trying to be extra safe so I didn't push any moves.  Even with the reduced draft in GT you still get much more of a boost than in iracing.  We got passed a couple of times and ended up getting lapped by the leaders.  I eventually made a move on the straight and he backed off.  I caught up to one of the other guys who passed us and for some reason, he waved me by.  I passed a few more cars who went off road (I almost got nailed by one of them trying to get back on.)  I ended up on the podium (3st) in my first race after starting in the pit just by playing it easy.  Finished the entire race with out an incident.  I decided to go for one more race.  Started in 10th.  I didn't get stuck by any slow drivers so I had a rather easy race running 1'01s and low 1'02s.  Ended up 4rd by passing people who went off on their own.  I ended up with 1 incident for over cooking turn 1 and getting a couple wheels off track.  Now I'm up to sr 2.9x and close to getting my promotion after next week.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 32   Go Up