SupaTunaGT

• May 02, 2024, 02:03:51 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

On Tuesday Nights join TheHotstepper for "Tuneless Tuesdays" (TuTu for short)

Thursday Night is "A Touch of Class" night; sponsored by Feldynn...

Check out the Career in a Year Friday nights 9pm eastern

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 32   Go Down

Author Topic: Iracing  (Read 45705 times)

TheHotstepper

• Global Moderator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
  • HaTUNA Matata
    • Classic Car Weekly
Re: Iracing
« Reply #135 on: July 21, 2012, 06:08:55 AM »

Ran a few more laps while my mic was charging for the Midnight Show, got in 8 timed laps in all and managed to keep the car on track for almost all of them!  The first was a high 1'51 and I had one with a spin that was 1'56 but the other 6 ranged from 1'47.6xx to 1'45.4xx which isn't bad at all for me.

Still a bit twitchy but I think I'm managing to get to grips with it, if I can string together some more mostly event-free test laps I might have to try something proper like a time trial or something.

Competitors must think I'm having the car-equivalent of a seizure when I'm on track.

Speaking of... does anyone else feel a bit funny when they play this game? Every time I've played it (and never for more than like 45 minutes) I end up with a splitting headache. I can't figure it out - I'm not squinting (well I am a little) but my computer is blown up on a 55 inch plasma, so I can see just fine. I think I'm squinting to keep my eyes from going googly - but idk why they want to do that.

Maybe iRacing just includes a very realistic "HANS Effect" that will hurt your head and neck a little bit every time you crunch the car.

Feldynn

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #136 on: July 21, 2012, 10:24:18 AM »

Can't say as I've noticed anything like that Stepper, since you're running it on such a large screen though you might need to tinker with the graphics settings a bit in case the vertical sync or refresh or something is a bit off.  Could even be a setting in the TV itself to make it "optimal" for PC input.

But I don't know for sure, just throwing out some thoughts :)

"Not visualising the equine bestowment via it's verbilisation aperture!"

"Every silver lining has a touch of grey.."

GoesTuna11

• Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #137 on: July 21, 2012, 11:56:03 AM »

I'm slowly creeping up on a fastrack promotion to D license.  I ran my first multiclass race last night.  I took the Mazda Roadster.  The other cars were the Solstice and spec racer ford.  The SRF is the fastest and the Mazda the slowest.  I almost forfeited the race.  I was practicing and then got the notice that the race was about to start so I tried to get into the race only to find out that my internet connection conked out.  I madly tried to get it working, tried wireless, replugged the cable, rebooted the modem.  Finally it worked and I just got into the race as the grid was setting up.  Luckily there is some practice time at the start of the race.  This was also my first start from the grid.  I started cautiously and lost a couple of positions but made it through the first corners without contact.  Two cars beside me collided on the first straight but they didn't hit me.  I started 7th, 2nd in class and finished 7th, 2nd in class (out of 3).  

What I don't get is how the grid was ordered.  I thought that it went Qualifying time first and then iRating and that numbers were assigned by iRating.  The first four grid positions were by qualifying (only four had qualifying times).  But i started 7th with the number 9 more than halfway up the grid and some of the lower numbers started way back in the race.  There didn't seam to be any order after qualifying.

After the midnight show I did a couple of laps in GT5 on Laguna Seca to see how they compared.  There were changes in camber and bumps in iRacing that I didn't remember in GT.  The first noticeable difference is that the grass in GT appears to be way to green.  Other than that, all the bumps and camber changes appeared to be correct, they just had less affect on the car.  There are two trees that I use on the corkscrew to tell me if I'm pointed in the right direction.  They aren't quite in the same position in GT.  Who knows which is more accurate, I don't know if iRacing laser scans trees.

What I'd like to ask Spec is which game feels more accurate compared to racing the actual car?

Tuna_Girls_n1cup

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Yellowfin Tuna
« Reply #138 on: July 21, 2012, 12:41:52 PM »

Hey GT-11, I like the physics on both GT-5 and iRacing, but I do feel that iRacing makes you use more realistic inputs with respect to how gingerly you need to drive a real car; in order to be smooth and maintain speed. My biggest gripe with GT is the horrible tire model; I think each compound feels good, but the wear is just dumb. Dumb. Dumb. Dumb.

The only complaint that I've had with iRacing and will probably have later this week is the over sensitively in the MX-5 and mid engine cars like the SRF. I feel they are too prone to oversteer, but I know can be mastered with time; I just hadn't given the SRF any real time, and I only found the MX-5 super twitchy after the new tire model update. I also found that I had trouble in it after racing the Mustang for an entire season then switching back; I had a hard time to adapt back to it. I know others have had the same issue when getting "very familiar" with once car vs. another. This is another thing I don't notice in GT5 where you can typically jump from car to car; in iRacing I don't find it that easy.

The biggest difference of comparing tracks from iRacing to GT5 is Spa, because Spa was one of their most recent builds it is night and day vs. GT5. I think Laguna was one of iRacing's first builds and hasn't been updated in a while.

Stepper - it took me weeks if not months to get my setup exactly where I liked it. There was a lot of work in balancing frame rate vs. graphics quality - field of vision (I only use 1 screen) - and wheel and pedal settings. I haven't experienced any headaches or issues with iRacing vs. GT like you are experiencing.

Also, I know that you guys are comparing times and one neat feature of iRacing is it logs all your fast laps for official practices, races, qualifying, etc. The key to this is you have to join an "official" practice session for your laps to register, it won't happen in testing mode. I'd always recommend to practice in practice rooms rather then testing solo because other people will be good benchmarks plus many times they'll share setups (which is a great feature) which you can plug in and try immediately.

Sorry for rambling on!

Cheers!

GoesTuna11

• Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #139 on: July 21, 2012, 05:54:20 PM »

First win!! For some reason, I started fourth on the grid.  The start was crazy and almost everyone passed me at the start.  Probably 12th after the first lap.  Finished 5nd overall and 1rd in class.  No incidents.  Im now .03 away from D.

Tuna_Girls_n1cup

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Yellowfin Tuna
« Reply #140 on: July 21, 2012, 05:58:04 PM »

First win!! For some reason, I started fourth on the grid.  The start was crazy and almost everyone passed me at the start.  Probably 12th after the first lap.  Finished 5nd overall and 1rd in class.  No incidents.  Im now .03 away from D.

That first win in iRacing is soooo rewarding, congrats!!!

Lonestar

• Yellowfin Tuna
« Reply #141 on: July 21, 2012, 06:33:27 PM »

What I have learned is dont take any chances. Run a time trial for about 10 clean laps and that will be enough to advance classes. Better be safe then sorry. Im sure most you guys dont like oval racing but the legend cups are a blast

GoesTuna11

• Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #142 on: July 21, 2012, 06:57:54 PM »

What I have learned is dont take any chances. Run a time trial for about 10 clean laps and that will be enough to advance classes. Better be safe then sorry. Im sure most you guys dont like oval racing but the legend cups are a blast

That's the plan. I lost all the positions at the start of the race by playing it safe and making sure that anyone passing me wasn't going to hit me. People were going three wide into the first corners. I don't think that I had to make a clean pass all race. Everyone just kept going off track. I saw someone blow up their engine. Smoke just started piling out of the car. Next time I passed the pits it was in there smoking away.

GoesTuna11

• Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #143 on: July 21, 2012, 07:30:47 PM »

I don't really like ovals in gt with the crazy draft. I'll give it a shot in iracing sometime.

Feldynn

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #144 on: July 21, 2012, 10:35:25 PM »

Is voice chat required / necessary for the actual races or is it more just a useful thing (kind of like in GT)?

Also I took part in my first official time trial tonight, did a total of 19 laps with a couple of hiccups in the early laps but with the braking assistance thing checked on I don't think I did too terribly bad and in case anyone's interested..

MX-5 @ Okayama International Circuit - Short Course
8 Lap average = 1:04.416
Fastest Lap = 1:04.087

I definitely think having that braking aid on helped me a heck of a lot, it seemed similar to ABS in GT, might be more obvious because I'm using a controller but it felt much more settled going into the corners with it.

"Not visualising the equine bestowment via it's verbilisation aperture!"

"Every silver lining has a touch of grey.."

Wiz

• Tech
  • Administrator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #145 on: July 21, 2012, 11:05:56 PM »

Did my first race tonight.  Qualified good enough for 2nd, but decided to start in the pits.  Came out in 10th place from the pits and worked* my way up to 3rd.  Podium on first race... I'll take it!  :)

I try to avoid putting my full name out in the wild so if you want to add me, send me a PM with your name and I'll send out FR's.  Already sent one to Spec.  First name is Joel.  I got yours REK, I wish you had a PC capable of running this.

* 3 people got disconnected.  I'll still take it! 

Wiz

• Tech
  • Administrator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #146 on: July 21, 2012, 11:10:29 PM »

Is voice chat required / necessary for the actual races or is it more just a useful thing (kind of like in GT)?

It's not required and I'm not sure it's necessary either.  The race I did tonight was half filled with folks from other countries so even if I had voice chat working, I assume I wouldn't have been able to understand half of the dialogue anyway.

Though I'm sure in some instances it would be useful, I don't plan to use it much at this point.

Rek

• The Bored of Directors
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
  • "Global Peace Through Deadly Force"
« Reply #147 on: July 21, 2012, 11:30:02 PM »

Did my first race tonight.  Qualified good enough for 2nd, but decided to start in the pits.  Came out in 10th place from the pits and worked* my way up to 3rd.  Podium on first race... I'll take it!  :)

I try to avoid putting my full name out in the wild so if you want to add me, send me a PM with your name and I'll send out FR's.  Already sent one to Spec.  First name is Joel.  I got yours REK, I wish you had a PC capable of running this.

* 3 people got disconnected.  I'll still take it! 

Don't know it won't yet? After installing it ran a diagnostic test thing and said it was up to par to handle it? May try it tomorrow. Everything is ready so we will see if it works.

Wiz

• Tech
  • Administrator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #148 on: July 21, 2012, 11:44:51 PM »

Don't know it won't yet? After installing it ran a diagnostic test thing and said it was up to par to handle it? May try it tomorrow. Everything is ready so we will see if it works.

I hope it works.  This game is pretty sweet.  Hard, frustrating and even overwhelming at first, but once you learn it/get used to it, it's badass.

BakedTuna

• Administrator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #149 on: July 22, 2012, 06:47:19 AM »

I signed up but have not recieived the code. About how long did it take before y'all got it in an email.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 32   Go Up