SupaTunaGT

• May 02, 2024, 03:05:19 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Around here we're just FAST enough to have FUN.

Race FAST!  Race HARD!!  Race CLEAN!!!   Have FUN!!!!

Long line Tunas!!!

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 32   Go Down

Author Topic: Iracing  (Read 45710 times)

Feldynn

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
Re: Iracing
« Reply #210 on: July 24, 2012, 09:06:35 PM »

One more thing and I will leave you guys alone. My TV is 120hz and the loptop is putting out 60hz to TV. Does that sound right?

It's been a while since I hooked a computer to a TV or other device via a VGA cable but so long as it displays ok, isn't flickering or doing anything weird like that then it should be ok.

"Not visualising the equine bestowment via it's verbilisation aperture!"

"Every silver lining has a touch of grey.."

Rek

• The Bored of Directors
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
  • "Global Peace Through Deadly Force"
« Reply #211 on: July 25, 2012, 12:07:20 AM »

I'm out!  plays fine on the laptop but when the race starts the tv goes blank. Enjoy guys. Im not investing anymore time on it.

GoesTuna11

• Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #212 on: July 25, 2012, 09:30:25 AM »

I'm out!  plays fine on the laptop but when the race starts the tv goes blank. Enjoy guys. Im not investing anymore time on it.

Sorry to hear that.  That's one of the big problems with PC gaming.  Not everything works and many things can be a huge hassle to get it to work.  You gain flexibility but you also gain headache.

Feldynn

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #213 on: July 25, 2012, 10:19:17 AM »

That sucks man :(.  For the sake of curiousity I was wondering do you mean the TV goes blank whenever you join / enter any game session (Test, Practice, TT, Race) so like it shows your desktop and internet browser but when you join something it and it starts loading the game session it blanks out, or are you already in the game session and then it goes blank like when you get on track?

Rek

• The Bored of Directors
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #214 on: July 25, 2012, 10:41:57 AM »

I'm out!  plays fine on the laptop but when the race starts the TV goes blank. Enjoy guys. I'm not investing anymore time on it.

That sucks man :(.  For the sake of curiousity I was wondering do you mean the TV goes blank whenever you join / enter any game session (Test, Practice, TT, Race) so like it shows your desktop and internet browser but when you join something it and it starts loading the game session it blanks out, or are you already in the game session and then it goes blank like when you get on track?

now you went and confused me Um...yeah, the TV goes blank(black) normal color with no signal is blue.  when the track loads either for a test, practice or race. But runs on the laptop? browser displays great at the iracing home page and sub pages. Car and track selection and such.

Oh! and Wizard. I had long forgot how to do that. Thanks,

Rek

• The Bored of Directors
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #215 on: July 25, 2012, 10:44:05 AM »

That sucks man :(.  For the sake of curiousity I was wondering do you mean the TV goes blank whenever you join / enter any game session (Test, Practice, TT, Race) so like it shows your desktop and internet browser but when you join something it and it starts loading the game session it blanks out, or are you already in the game session and then it goes blank like when you get on track?

Yes

Feldynn

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #216 on: July 25, 2012, 11:48:51 AM »

I'm out!  plays fine on the laptop but when the race starts the TV goes blank. Enjoy guys. I'm not investing anymore time on it.

now you went and confused me Um...yeah, the TV goes blank(black) normal color with no signal is blue.  when the track loads either for a test, practice or race. But runs on the laptop? browser displays great at the iracing home page and sub pages. Car and track selection and such.

Oops yeah sorry I'm good at confusing people, I tend to babble and / or use way more words than necessary, one of my more pleasant character traits ;D

On the bright side though it sounds like it might just be a settings issue and probably something to do with the graphics settings for the iRacing session itself that are in a range your TV can't display, so it knows it's getting a signal but doesn't know how to display it correctly.

When you load into a session and see the track stuff on your laptop (and the TV goes black) if you exit the session or ALT+Tab back your desktop / browser does the TV picture come back up?  Might take a few seconds to read the change in the signal.

You could try tinkering with the graphics settings once the session is loaded too, try different Window Resolutions or unchecking the Fullscreen box (might require you exit the session and start another before they take effect).  Also how many screens do you have selected?  I think it only has an option of 1 or 3, it should be (and probably is) set to 1 since you just want the TV to duplicate the image on the laptop screen.

Apologies if I just you go  ??? again :).

MX5#98

• SOLITARY Confinement
  • Southern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #217 on: July 25, 2012, 07:12:14 PM »

How many folks are doing this? Just got a new Macbook with HDMI out. Might be willing to give it a try if there are several folks doing this.

MX
PSN ID: MX5_Racer_69
iRacing: Michael Schaefer2

Feldynn

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #218 on: July 25, 2012, 07:51:39 PM »

How many folks are doing this? Just got a new Macbook with HDMI out. Might be willing to give it a try if there are several folks doing this.

MX

I want to say there's only a couple of Tunas properly using the iRacing service right now, I think there are probably 4-6 of us that are trying out the trial membership deals to see how we like it though.  And I am enjoying it so far though it is a WAY more serious and official racing environment than GT5 generally is, I've yet to actually connect with any of our guys over there though so I don't know quite how it'll work in terms of racing together or if that's even possible in a way similar to how we do in GT5. 

Tuna_Girls_n1cup

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Yellowfin Tuna
« Reply #219 on: July 25, 2012, 08:37:33 PM »

MX

Give it a shot, it's free! Gathering and organizing a group of friends in races is tough due to how iRacing pairs people based on their iRating (performance based rating system), but it is very easy to practice together, plus in practice you don't get dinged for going off road, spinning out, or contact.

I just switched my setup over earlier in the week and am in love all over again. As Feldynn said, it's much more serious and basically can almost "not" be considered a game, but a pure simulator. I love it, but it matches what I'm used to in real life and what I kept looking for in GT all these years.

The truth is the pick up races are awesome and the system matches you to people with similar talent, plus the safety rating and iRating system keeps people in check, there are still idiots, but for the most part everyone behaves and takes the sim pretty seriously.

Cheers!

Wiz

• Tech
  • Administrator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #220 on: July 25, 2012, 08:52:18 PM »

Aren't leagues coming soon too?  I assume that will make it easier for us to get together and race?

Tuna_Girls_n1cup

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Yellowfin Tuna
« Reply #221 on: July 25, 2012, 09:07:48 PM »

Oh yeah, that too! :)

I actually did my first hosted race the night I switched over. It was fun and more GT esque as I wasn't concerned about safety or iRating since it's a non official race. I've never done a league but lots of people seem to be pretty pumped about it so it makes me think the current league system sucks.

For those enjoying iRacing, there is a great little community over at GT Planet that hosts leagues and has discussions and tips.
http://www.gtplanet.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=263

The guys over at Driver Sports are also enjoying some iRacing, so between the two groups we could probably get a GT style league going with nice participation.

Wiz

• Tech
  • Administrator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #222 on: July 25, 2012, 09:25:48 PM »

try different Windows Resolutions

This would be my guess.  Some laptops have funky resolutions that TV's can't handle.  If your laptop is pushing out a resolution of say, 1440x900, your TV may not be able to handle it.  Try to change your laptop resolution to something like 1280×720 (almost all newer TV's can handle this) and give it one more shot.  Or did you already get rid of it?

Feldynn

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #223 on: July 25, 2012, 09:57:16 PM »

In other news I tried a bit of Ghost Racing tonight (with the lap / section timer thing on, thanks Spec / 1Cup!), I'm still really nervous about getting on track with other drivers but that helped settle my nerves a touch.  Fortunately the track has changed again so they're running Okayaka (Full) right now now, I watched a few of the early laps and decided to jump on track as a ghost racer. 

I had a few off track excursions from not knowing the full course layout (did a few TTs at the short version on the weekend) but I did some reasonable laps and it was very useful to be on track with other cars even though they couldn't see me, I followed someone for a couple of laps, had a spin and waited for 1 or 2 to pass before I got back on the track, it was funny watching one racer drive right through me on the replay when I spun out and bounced off a wall. 

Consistency over multiple laps is still an issue for me but that will come with more track time, it probably didn't help that the races I watched and ghosted in had mostly higher level / class drivers so I was probably trying to go faster than I could control because I was around people way faster than me.  Overall it was a good, fun and very useful experience for a nervous rookie :).

Also I have come to the conclusion that I :fucking hate the Charlotte Motor Speedway Road Course right now!  That was yesterday's track and while I managed to turn some reasonable (in my mind) offline lap times I just couldn't keep the car on track for more than a couple of laps at a time, seems like it's a really finicky and uneven track!

GoesTuna11

• Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #224 on: July 25, 2012, 10:16:19 PM »

try different Windows Resolutions

This would be my guess.  Some laptops have funky resolutions that TV's can't handle.  If your laptop is pushing out a resolution of say, 1440x900, your TV may not be able to handle it.  Try to change your laptop resolution to something like 1280×720 (almost all newer TV's can handle this) and give it one more shot.  Or did you already get rid of it?

Ya this is probably it.  You probably ran the configuration wizard before you hooked up the external tv so it set the resolution for the laptop.  The easiest thing would be to run the configuration wizard again.  To run that again go to reference-Documents and Tools- then click on quick start quide.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 32   Go Up