SupaTunaGT

• May 02, 2024, 05:44:11 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Around here we're just FAST enough to have FUN.

Race FAST!  Race HARD!!  Race CLEAN!!!   Have FUN!!!!

Long line Tunas!!!

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 32   Go Down

Author Topic: Iracing  (Read 45713 times)

Feldynn

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
Re: Iracing
« Reply #240 on: July 26, 2012, 07:36:33 PM »

Wow :o, I probably need to upgrade or turn down some settings even more since I'm running at a paltry 34FPS or so  :lolz

"Not visualising the equine bestowment via it's verbilisation aperture!"

"Every silver lining has a touch of grey.."

Tuna_Girls_n1cup

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Yellowfin Tuna
« Reply #241 on: July 26, 2012, 07:52:37 PM »

Wow :o, I probably need to upgrade or turn down some settings even more since I'm running at a paltry 34FPS or so 

When I ran iRacing off my laptop I had basically everything on low graphics settings and averaged 40-60 fps. Frankly it wasn't too different from GT5 in a serious traffic situation. I got a computer from work and put a Nvidia Geforce GT440 1GB DDR3 in it, it now keeps me at 130 fps by my self and never drops below 80 at the start of a race with a full grid. This is also on basically max settings. It's awesome. I think I spent $100-$110 on the graphics card, and few more bucks on ram. I had a friend wipe the system so iRacing is all that is on it. Before my "mods" the computer wasn't running so hot, but now it's pretty sweet, especially for something thrown together for under $150.

I'm not sure the point of my story...oh yeah; you can basically mod up any current system for pretty cheap and get nice results to enjoy the sim A LOT more!  ;D

Lonestar

• Yellowfin Tuna
« Reply #242 on: July 26, 2012, 07:56:48 PM »

No triple monitors yet. I have a 24inch samsung im pretty happy with. Ill wait on the 3 monitors. 120hz monitors are pretty nice too.  It is pretty amazing how much better and more fluid the game reacts though.

GoesTuna11

• Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #243 on: July 26, 2012, 08:19:17 PM »

I'm getting 80 on my own (it's capped at 80 for some reason) and about 60 in traffic on my laptop.  I'm waiting until I win the Nvidia card on iracing before I build my new system.

Lonestar

• Yellowfin Tuna
« Reply #244 on: July 26, 2012, 08:43:07 PM »

I'm getting 80 on my own (it's capped at 80 for some reason) and about 60 in traffic on my laptop.  I'm waiting until I win the Nvidia card on iracing before I build my new system.

Theres a box in the graphic settings that is checked by default that locks it at 84fps. I have no idea why. And I think the card there giving away is the one I bought. 8)

GoesTuna11

• Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #245 on: July 26, 2012, 09:38:55 PM »

Theres a box in the graphic settings that is checked by default that locks it at 84fps. I have no idea why. And I think the card there giving away is the one I bought. 8)

Did you enter? Imagine running 2 in sli. 8) 8)

GoesTuna11

• Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #246 on: July 27, 2012, 11:56:54 AM »

Ok, I went and renewed on the two years for the price of one so I'm now subscribed for the next 2 1/2 years.  The believe that the last day is today if anyone is interested.  There is still the black friday deal but we don't know what that one will be for sure.  I heard over at driversports that no one gets a referral fee with the cadillac promotion.  That's too bad if true.

Wiz

• Tech
  • Administrator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #247 on: July 27, 2012, 12:21:41 PM »

Ok, I went and renewed on the two years for the price of one so I'm now subscribed for the next 2 1/2 years. 

:stoopid:

Feldynn

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #248 on: July 27, 2012, 01:03:32 PM »

Ok, I went and renewed on the two years for the price of one so I'm now subscribed for the next 2 1/2 years.  The believe that the last day is today if anyone is interested.  There is still the black friday deal but we don't know what that one will be for sure.  I heard over at driversports that no one gets a referral fee with the cadillac promotion.  That's too bad if true.

That reminds me, anyone thinking of doing the Cadillac Cup Racing promotion thing needs to do it before July 31rd as after that date it's changing from 6 months to 3 months.  The official note on the website reads..

*Effective July 31st, 2012, the complimentary 6-month subscription offer will expire and be replaced by a 3-month subscription offer.

I mean "3 months free" is still a good deal for anyone wanting to try out the iRacing service when all you have to do is fill out a GM / Cadillac form, but there's still time to get the 6 months so if anyone is still interested but on the fence go ahead and sign up quick to get the best promotion!

Feldynn

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #249 on: July 27, 2012, 03:54:56 PM »

So I finally bit the bullet this afternoon and signed up for my first ever iRace!  I've been nervously pondering all week about racing with others partly because I've only had the service a week so I'm really not very good yet, I use a beat up PS3 controller not a wheel so precision isn't great and above all else I don't want to ruin anyone else's race and/or their ratings.

Building up to it I'd been running offline on the 13th Week Mazda Mx-5 tracks, ran as a Ghost Racer for a few laps in a couple of races yesterday, did some online practice sessions last night and today to see what it was like when people could see me and that went ok so I figure I'd give it a shot since I'm feeling fairly comfortable at Summit Point.

My main goal was to just stay alive til the end, I wasn't going to drive aggressively or try hard to take positions, I just wanted to get to the end of the race with as little fuss as possible and as it turns out that was THE best approach to take!  I started in the pits and got on track right near the back of the 16 strong field and proceeded to drive from there, passed a few people that went off or were going slow from an off-track excursion, had a little back and forth with one driver though I was never comfortable trying to make an easy / safe pass so I backed off each time.

I finished 20 laps with only 6 incidents (1 time I slightly overshot a corner, the rest were just 2 wheels off track running a bit wide), had a best lap of 1'25.429 and was mostly in the 1'25/1'26s but best of all.. I finished 4th!!

Tuna_Girls_n1cup

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Yellowfin Tuna
« Reply #250 on: July 27, 2012, 06:22:39 PM »

Grats on popping your cherry Feldynn, sounds like you had a great race! One thing iRacing does is make my heart skip a beat as I join the grid, even after 50+ official starts. The SR and iRating system they have in place isn't perfect but it's enough to force your to come prepared to a race. When you do enter a race and earn a great result as you just did its very rewarding.

I'm SUPER excited to hear that you dudes bought two more years!! The next step is falling in love with a car and trying a series. Doing the Mustang series is what got me hooked for good. Cheers!

Feldynn

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #251 on: July 27, 2012, 07:51:22 PM »

Thanks 1Cup :), I probably should have mentioned that a handful of people were disconnected and only 2 people behind me were even on the lead lap but those are just minor details  ;).  It was a lot of fun though so I did a couple more which were mostly just as good (not great finishes but still fun), though the 2nd was somewhat of a clusterbomb because it was right when tracks changed to Summit Point: Jefferson layout and that brings up a question I have.

Late in the race I was lapped by one of the leaders when I was recovering from a spin, I followed him for a bit and caught up when he was stuck behind a back marker a few laps down.  It looked like the back marker was trying to hold his line as best he could without doing anything weird and when they got on the main straight he pulled to the right, the leader drove up along side him and had a clear road ahead but then turned into the guy and punted him off into the trees and went off track himself.

While I wasn't involved in the incident itself it did happened right in front of me on track (I have the replay too) and seemed like a completely unnecessary and shitty move on the part of the leader, so my question is should I get involved and file a protest over this?

GoesTuna11

• Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #252 on: July 27, 2012, 09:44:27 PM »

Thanks 1Cup :), I probably should have mentioned that a handful of people were disconnected and only 2 people behind me were even on the lead lap but those are just minor details 

In my first race, I didn't even finish on the lead lap.

Tuna_Girls_n1cup

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Yellowfin Tuna
« Reply #253 on: July 28, 2012, 01:04:24 PM »

Thanks 1Cup :), I probably should have mentioned that a handful of people were disconnected and only 2 people behind me were even on the lead lap but those are just minor details  ;).  It was a lot of fun though so I did a couple more which were mostly just as good (not great finishes but still fun), though the 2nd was somewhat of a clusterbomb because it was right when tracks changed to Summit Point: Jefferson layout and that brings up a question I have.

Late in the race I was lapped by one of the leaders when I was recovering from a spin, I followed him for a bit and caught up when he was stuck behind a back marker a few laps down.  It looked like the back marker was trying to hold his line as best he could without doing anything weird and when they got on the main straight he pulled to the right, the leader drove up along side him and had a clear road ahead but then turned into the guy and punted him off into the trees and went off track himself.

While I wasn't involved in the incident itself it did happened right in front of me on track (I have the replay too) and seemed like a completely unnecessary and shitty move on the part of the leader, so my question is should I get involved and file a protest over this?

Good question! I've seen some bad behavior on track, but not to that extent, I've also never really been taken out on purpose, so I've never used the protest system. Based on the sporting code you should report it for the sake of the community, but I hear it's somewhat of a lengthy process.

Basically if you've got the time go for it, if not don't worry about it. Week 13 seems to bring out the loons, unfortunately sometimes those loons are fast.

TheHotstepper

• Global Moderator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
  • HaTUNA Matata
    • Classic Car Weekly
« Reply #254 on: July 28, 2012, 01:21:41 PM »

I was in a Legends car (apparently the only car I can handle) at some dinky circle track doing a practice session and there was some dude driving the wrong way. During that same session I got dumped by some guy who just plowed into me as I let off for corner entry.

In that sense, I guess iracing is a lot like GT5  :D
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 32   Go Up