PC Sims & Other Games > Other PC Sims

General info & tips for PC simming.

(1/4) > >>

Wiz:
Thought I'd start a thread for useful stuff not specifically related to any certain game.

I'd like to start by mentioning the importance of making sure you're running the latest drivers for whatever video card you have.

If you're using an nvidia card, you should be on driver 337.88  If you're not, you should update.

Also, I recommend downloading GeForce Experience.  This program will notify you as soon as new drivers are available.  It also has something called "ShadowPlay", which is my new favorite way to record the videos I post.  Read about it and get it here - http://www.geforce.com/geforce-experience

Note that GeForce Experience only works with certain cards.  And certain features only work with certain cards too.
Here's a chart that shows what works with what....

Please share any tips or tricks you may have.

Wiz:
If you're using an AMD card, the latest driver/CCC is 14.4  Go get it if you don't have it.

I don't know shit about AMD cards so perhaps someone here can chime in with some good info.

--- Quote from: Brindle on August 17, 2014, 08:36:44 AM ---I strongly agree with Intel chips.  As far a graphics cards, It was best said by GT11.  NVidia seems to be a better all around gaming card, where AMD seems to be more of a specific game/s type card, to be better/equal to NVidia. 

Neither are bad choices and always, always, spring for the best you can possibly afford.  I too have a AMD 7950 as GT11 and love it!  I tend to be biased towards AMD cards, as I have not had issues at all  and can match performance with the same class NVidia's. 

Rek hit the nail on the head...  Always uninstall your drivers first through "add/remove programs", then check that these folders do not exist.  If they do, delete them.

C:/AMD/support/14-4-win7-win8-win8.1-64-dd-ccc-whql
    C:/AMD/support/14-4-win7-win8-win8.1-32-dd-ccc-whql

Personally, I've never deleted these folders, as they seem to be removed during uninstall, but that may not hold true for everyone.

For the latest drivers, go here...

http://support.amd.com/en-us/download

On the right side, under "Latest AMD Catalyst™ Drivers for Radeon™ R9 200, R7 200, HD 7000, HD 6000 and HD 5000 Series", just click on your version of Windows (32 bit, or 64 bit) and it will bring you directly to the download link.  See pic below..

I would stay away from the beta drivers, unless your comfortable working with computers.  They can sometimes cause issues, that even may require temporarily changing BIOS setting to go back to working drivers.

--- End quote ---

Edited for info, by Brindle

Rek:
I think its very important to  remember the following.

Before installing a new driver, please ensure you have uninstalled the previous driver using the Add/Remove programs option in the Control Panel and also deleted the installation folder for the previous driver. This folder can be found at the following locations:

C:/AMD/support/14-4-win7-win8-win8.1-64-dd-ccc-whql

or

C:/AMD/support/14-4-win7-win8-win8.1-32-dd-ccc-whql

nosoks:
Could I ask a favour here. In the event that gaming pc becomes the best route (an option I dread) would one of you fellas please suggest a spec for said computer.  :o I really don't know exactly what to ask for

Wiz:
Sure thing soks.  Give me a day or two and I'll write up something nice.

I can safely say that my post will have an Intel CPU and Nvidia GPU bias, as that's what I've used over the years and have had good luck with both.

Perhaps one of our guys with AMD stuff can chime in with their knowledge.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version