SupaTunaGT

• May 15, 2024, 12:41:15 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

On Tuesday Nights join TheHotstepper for "Tuneless Tuesdays" (TuTu for short)

Thursday Night is "A Touch of Class" night; sponsored by Feldynn...

Check out the Career in a Year Friday nights 9pm eastern

Linked Events

• Leaf's RenaultSports Cup: May 01, 2013
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 36   Go Down

Author Topic: Renault Cup  (Read 20024 times)

MX5#98

• SOLITARY Confinement
  • Southern Bluefin Tuna
Re: Renault Cup
« Reply #465 on: June 19, 2013, 04:34:06 PM »

1:56.5 - Team Texas Trio

PSN ID: MX5_Racer_69
iRacing: Michael Schaefer2

DudeTuna

• The Bored of Directors
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #466 on: June 19, 2013, 04:55:51 PM »

Excellent times MX!

Turbo-Tuna

• The Bored of Directors
  • Bigeye Tuna
« Reply #467 on: June 19, 2013, 05:02:30 PM »

I think I've tested and saw little difference with rear downforce. My settings were between 25 and 35, I think.

MX5#98

• SOLITARY Confinement
  • Southern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #468 on: June 19, 2013, 09:14:12 PM »

Sorry for the bumps Tuna and Phreak. Good racing out there. I still use the driving line to tell me where to brake. And when I'd get right behind you, I missed it a couple times.

Wish I had spent more time testing how much fuel to add in the pit stop.    :)

Great racing. I could not repeat the first half performance as my arms were beginning to fatigue and then the whole absurdity of the situation began to take over my thought process.   :)

G'night.

MX

Turbo-Tuna

• The Bored of Directors
  • Bigeye Tuna
« Reply #469 on: June 19, 2013, 10:13:21 PM »

Awesome performance in the first half MX5, and you almost made a comeback in the closing laps, but I guess your braking hurt you at the end. I enjoyed racing against a few guys, mostly Feldynn, Grumpy?, and Phreak. Too bad the network killed my finish. At least I didn't run out of gas!

GrumpyTuna

• The Bored of Directors
  • Southern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #470 on: June 19, 2013, 10:53:39 PM »

Great racing tonight guys! Also nice win there Phreak! Tuff luck for the guys that got bounced!

BakedTuna

• Administrator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #471 on: June 20, 2013, 06:15:18 AM »

In my personal experience the driving line gets most folks into a bad habit of where your eyes are looking. It prevents you from keeping your eyes up the track far enough ahead. Just my opinion though.

Wolfpack987

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Southern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #472 on: June 20, 2013, 06:26:48 AM »

Great racing last night by everyone!  Lots of close wheel to wheel action and in the end (before the bounce) the group was still fairly close.  On the last lap I was in 8th or 7th place and was only 17 seconds back from the leader.

I put a lot of prep time into last night's race and my car was definitely competitive.  But that one damn mistake I made (oversteer caused spin) really hurt and then the resulting spin from my damage going away (car veered off into grass) just killed it for me, lol.  MX, hat's off to your best showing of the season.  Very solid race and you were untouchable during the first stint.  I'm also proud of my teammate who really whipped some ass as well.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 06:33:02 AM by WolfpackS2k »

PSN ID = dawson864

MX5#98

• SOLITARY Confinement
  • Southern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #473 on: June 20, 2013, 09:17:47 AM »

By the way, many thanks to Leaf for organizing this event. Goos times.

DudeTuna

• The Bored of Directors
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #474 on: June 20, 2013, 09:32:14 AM »

Sorry for the bumps Tuna and Phreak. Good racing out there. I still use the driving line to tell me where to brake. And when I'd get right behind you, I missed it a couple times.

Wish I had spent more time testing how much fuel to add in the pit stop.    :)

Great racing. I could not repeat the first half performance as my arms were beginning to fatigue and then the whole absurdity of the situation began to take over my thought process.   :)

G'night.

MX

Awesome first stint MX. You disappeared from the field. I'm sorry for being out of control at the chicanes a couple of times. Once at the first one with you MX and once at the second with Dawson.
I had a few off track excursions, but it was still a fantastic race. Fucking disconnect sucks. It was at the final turn on the final lap and it was shaping up to be a tight finish with Feldynn.

I could easily be talked in to doing a just for fun repeat of this.

MX5#98

• SOLITARY Confinement
  • Southern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #475 on: June 20, 2013, 09:34:27 AM »

In my personal experience the driving line gets most folks into a bad habit of where your eyes are looking. It prevents you from keeping your eyes up the track far enough ahead. Just my opinion though.

I've tried it with and without the driving line, and I'm faster with it turned on. This is partly because I don't have every track memorized and it's partly because I don't practice enough. From my point of view, here is what the driving line gives you:

1. Regardless of the speed of the car, it gives you a starting point for where to begin your braking during testing.

2. Like any other visual marker, it gives you a fixed visual cue that you can use for reference for setting your braking point.

3. The game automatically moves these markers as you go faster, slower or have tire wear. That's a huge advantage.

The negatives of using them are:

1. You have to force yourself to ignore the driving line itself as that is not always the fastest line.

2. You cannot see the driving line in tight traffic and will miss braking points sometimes.

3. It's really a crutch and hurts you when you race without it.

Workarounds for some of the negatives are:

1. Take a different line so you can see the driving line in traffic.

2. Double up on the visual cues. Use a marker on the side of the road in addition to the driving line in case you're in traffic. (I'm working on this one)

Here's how I use the driving line. I start off braking at the indicated braking point, especially when the tires are cold. This is 99% of the time a safe place to start, although every now and then the game gets it wrong by a few inches. But you can correct that. As the tires warm up, I begin to experiment with going deeper on each corner. I then compare the data in the data analyzer in practice mode looking at corner exit speeds. If I'm faster, I go deeper. If I'm slower, I back up the braking point a bit. Then when I have it all dialed in and I've tweaked each corner as much as possible, I just do laps trying to memorize the offsets from the driving line. This corner I might go indicated braking point plus a millisecond. This one I might remember as "deep". This one I might remember as "back it up a bit, be early". Together, the sum of these little cues becomes my lap plan which is what I was doing last night.

It is very challenging to use this technique when you're on someone's bumper. But honestly, that was just poor decision making by me last night. I was pushing way too hard the second half to catch Turbo and Phreak. I was over driving the car. And with one lap to go, I was betting the farm to be in the draft on the final straight. I got it wrong, cost me a run at the front. But still, lots of fun.

MX

MX5#98

• SOLITARY Confinement
  • Southern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #476 on: June 20, 2013, 09:39:52 AM »

Awesome first stint MX. You disappeared from the field. I'm sorry for being out of control at the chicanes a couple of times. Once at the first one with you MX and once at the second with Dawson.
I had a few off track excursions, but it was still a fantastic race. Fucking disconnect sucks. It was at the final turn on the final lap and it was shaping up to be a tight finish with Feldynn.

I could easily be talked in to doing a just for fun repeat of this.

Thank you sir. No harm no foul. I know it was not intentional. I'm just mad at myself for f'ing up the pit stop. Man, if I could have kept a 16 second gap coming out of the pits... dang. LOL.

DudeTuna

• The Bored of Directors
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #477 on: June 20, 2013, 09:49:59 AM »

Re: Driving Line

I believe I am correct in saying we all started with the driving line for all the reasons you listed. We all keep harping about turning it off, because in the end you will be happier and faster. We all struggled a bit at first without it, but in the end there are so many more options of attacking the track.

Wolfpack987

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Southern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #478 on: June 20, 2013, 10:36:19 AM »

I've never used the driving line in GT5.  I have never found it to be of any real benefit to me unless it's a night race.  Otherwise I'm usually pretty good at finding brake markers to use for my own benefit.

PSN ID = dawson864

Feldynn

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #479 on: June 20, 2013, 10:38:12 AM »

For some reason I seemed generally off pace last night, possibly the car and possibly me too but it felt almost like I was driving through quicksand at times.  But I did enjoy the racing I had with folks for the brief time we were close :).

Fucking disconnect sucks. It was at the final turn on the final lap and it was shaping up to be a tight finish with Feldynn.

Yeah that last corner disconnect really sucked, for those last few laps I thought you were setting me up for a last lap draft / pass somewhere Dude, then you got by me I think because I made a minor booboo and then was trying desperately to keep close in the hope that we might make it a drag race for the line :).

Regarding the Driving Line, for me personally I like how it does the braking zones thing but I've always found the giant blue / red line as a whole to get in the way and end up being more annoying than useful.  One thing I do use as an alternative source of guidance for braking is the little red flashy "Suggested Gear" number on the HUD, it's not as precise as the red line is (and I usually ignore the actual gear it suggests) but I find it much less obtrusive and can also help (me) with finding visual braking markers as well because it starts flashing early enough you don't need to brake right away. 

I find I can usually see the flashing out of the corner of my eye and also see scenery items like say the 200m distance marker heading into the Chicane at Monza, for me that usually means I can start braking between the 200m and 150m stones and slow enough to make the chicane when I'm by myself.  I use it the same way on other tracks too, I see the little flashing number on one side and glance around for a marker or rumble strip or something else nearby and start braking.

Not that there's anything wrong with using the driving line or part of it, just offering up that as an alternative since it's what I use :).

"Not visualising the equine bestowment via it's verbilisation aperture!"

"Every silver lining has a touch of grey.."
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 36   Go Up