SupaTunaGT

• May 08, 2024, 05:48:47 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Coming Attractions?

Watch this space for new News as it develops, or...

Check out the "ONLINE EVENTS" thread...

Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 65   Go Down

Author Topic: Assetto Corsa  (Read 98440 times)

Wiz

• Tech
  • Administrator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
Re: Assetto Corsa
« Reply #465 on: August 18, 2014, 01:43:45 PM »

Is the drag racing set up to be used online yet. That could be fun.

I don't think it's working yet.

Wiz

• Tech
  • Administrator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #466 on: August 18, 2014, 01:44:01 PM »

The HistorX guys are considering adding all their stuff to AC.

Have you heard anything else on this?

No sir.

GoesTuna11

• The Bored of Directors
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #467 on: August 18, 2014, 03:40:49 PM »

Is the drag racing set up to be used online yet. That could be fun.

I don't think it's working yet.

Have they fixed it offline.  It used to be that you didn't wait for the lights to change, you waited for the car beside you to rev its engine.  If you waited until the lights turned, you'd end up with close to a second reaction time.  I know I'm old but I'm not that old.

Wiz

• Tech
  • Administrator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #468 on: August 18, 2014, 04:01:28 PM »

Have they fixed it offline.  It used to be that you didn't wait for the lights to change, you waited for the car beside you to rev its engine.  If you waited until the lights turned, you'd end up with close to a second reaction time.  I know I'm old but I'm not that old.

Not sure.  I tried it once or twice when I first started playing the game and haven't gone back to it since.

I do hope it gets fixed.   I'm not a huge drag racing fan, but it'd be fun for a change of pace one night.

GoesTuna11

• The Bored of Directors
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #469 on: August 18, 2014, 09:09:33 PM »

Not sure.  I tried it once or twice when I first started playing the game and haven't gone back to it since.

I do hope it gets fixed.   I'm not a huge drag racing fan, but it'd be fun for a change of pace one night.

I'm not a drag racing fan either but I thought it was cool that they included it.  however if they include it they should do it right.  AC has a random interval between the last lights and  start where in real life it is apparently a set time so you can anticipate when to go.

EX_stream_tuna

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
    • GT6 Photomode Album @ Flikr.com
« Reply #470 on: August 19, 2014, 09:10:09 AM »

AC has a random interval between the last lights and  start where in real life it is apparently a set time so you can anticipate when to go.

I concur!

BakedTuna

• Administrator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #471 on: August 19, 2014, 09:34:38 AM »

I thought the NHRA changed the starting procedure this year at the driver's requests to make things more random on the lights. I thought it was being done to get rid of those who were anticipating the start rather than reacting to the green. Maybe I am not remembering what I had seen correctly though.

BakedTuna

• Administrator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna

EX_stream_tuna

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
    • GT6 Photomode Album @ Flikr.com
« Reply #473 on: August 19, 2014, 11:03:15 AM »

personally I think that's dumb... the whole point of having a "tree" at all is so you can see that the green is coming at a certain expected time.  Otherwise, why not just have a green light that comes on at random, with no yellows?  It makes no sense for drag, where you want to see how fast a car can get to the 1/4 mile line, not test someone's reaction time (though I know at certain levels of the sport, that is part of the competition)

ChromeTuna

• Global Moderator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
  • Chrome will get you home.
« Reply #474 on: August 19, 2014, 11:21:04 AM »

http://www.competitionplus.com/featured-stories/9326-why-the-nhra-needed-to-change-the-christmas-tree-routine

They didn't change the interval between the yellows, and green. They changed it between the staging lights, and the yellows. Big difference, and does not affect what the tree has been doing all along.

Not that many years ago, there was a guy that always initiated the tree, sounds like they're getting back to that kind of feel.

Also, I'm a huge NHRA/drag racing in general fan. Been to more events than I can count, and even drag raced my on car for a while in my 20's.
"Life is hard, when you're delicious."

BakedTuna

• Administrator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #475 on: August 19, 2014, 11:24:21 AM »

personally I think that's dumb... the whole point of having a "tree" at all is so you can see that the green is coming at a certain expected time.  Otherwise, why not just have a green light that comes on at random, with no yellows?  It makes no sense for drag, where you want to see how fast a car can get to the 1/4 mile line, not test someone's reaction time (though I know at certain levels of the sport, that is part of the competition)

Did you read the article? The drivers wanted the change. I think i am with the pro drivers on this one. I want the driver to play as much of a role as possible. If not there is less of a contest going on.

BakedTuna

• Administrator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #476 on: August 19, 2014, 11:26:58 AM »

http://www.competitionplus.com/featured-stories/9326-why-the-nhra-needed-to-change-the-christmas-tree-routine

They didn't change the interval between the yellows, and green. They changed it between the staging lights, and the yellows. Big difference, and does not affect what the tree has been doing all along.

Not that many years ago, there was a guy that always initiated the tree, sounds like they're getting back to that kind of feel.

Also, I'm a huge NHRA/drag racing in general fan. Been to more events than I can count, and even drag raced my on car for a while in my 20's.

But my understanding is it makes the lighting have some variances not allowing the driver to merely make a calculated guess at a start but rather having to react to the lights themselves.

ChromeTuna

• Global Moderator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #477 on: August 19, 2014, 11:33:17 AM »

But my understanding is it makes the lighting have some variances not allowing the driver to merely make a calculated guess at a start but rather having to react to the lights themselves.

Correct. The problem they are pointing out is. In the now old way, the yellows would light a pre-determined amount of time, after the last car staged. Knowing that, a driver could inticipate when the start was going to be, before the yellows even lit. This new way will make the time between the last car staging, and the yellows random, and gets it more like it use to be when Buster Couch ran the tree manually. I remember those days very well.

From the bottom of the article. I almost missed it...
Essentially this new feature allows the computer to work the tree in much the same fashion as the tough-as-nails but fair legendary chief starter Buster Couch did in the early years of NHRA drag racing.

If you’ve ever heard tales of Buster dealing with game-playing drivers, and they seem unbelievable, don’t discount them.

Buster didn't allow the drivers to play head games with each other. He'd let them know right quick, who was running the show.

ChromeTuna

• Global Moderator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #478 on: August 19, 2014, 11:50:25 AM »

http://www.hemmings.com/mus/stories/2013/03/01/hmn_feature13.html

For more than 30 years, Buster Couch stood between the lanes at national events as the NHRA's chief starter. Tough but fair, Couch had his finger on the button of the Christmas tree some half a million times, a finger whose movements every driver tried to anticipate in an attempt to nail the holeshot. If you look at almost any photo of a national starting line between 1963 and 1995, there is a good chance Couch's imposing, linebacker-sized frame is in the picture.

BakedTuna

• Administrator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #479 on: August 19, 2014, 11:54:40 AM »

Some of the stories I have read about him are effin hilarious. Those days are gone when colorful characters could exist in racing, now it has become so corporitized that we just get varying shades of the same color, for sanctioning body officials, team owners, crew chiefs and drivers.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 12:33:50 PM by BakedTuna »
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 65   Go Up