SupaTunaGT

• May 07, 2024, 06:27:31 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

On Tuesday Nights join TheHotstepper for "Tuneless Tuesdays" (TuTu for short)

Thursday Night is "A Touch of Class" night; sponsored by Feldynn...

Check out the Career in a Year Friday nights 9pm eastern

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Introducing... le Tour de Kart [On Hold]  (Read 2775 times)

EX_stream_tuna

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
    • GT6 Photomode Album @ Flikr.com
Introducing... le Tour de Kart [On Hold]
« on: June 05, 2012, 12:02:54 PM »

Introducing...

Main PSN Event Thread

Hello my TUNA brothaz (and sistaz???)

I'm putting together a race series that's quite different than anything I've seen here or elsewhere before, but has been really meticulously thought-out to make sure the concept can work.

I am taking the format of the cycling world's most presigious race, the Tour de France, and adapting it for Gran TOURismo.

To some, the concept may seem strange, but I assure you that if you put forth the time to wrap your head around this format, youl'l see its potential.

I say "potential" because it absolutely must have more than just a few racers to make it work.  It's team-based, and will require that a team stays intact and/or that replacements and substitutions can be made easily to keep the participation full or nearly full.

It's multi-stage (each track is a "stage") and most likely with two to three stages done on the same day so that in four weeks or so, we could complete the competition.   Each stage will be like a short enduro (30-45min TBD).  Long enough to shake things up but also short enough to keep you from getting too frustrated or bored on any particular stage.

Please everyone, take a moment to read what I'm copying here from the PSN forum thread (which will serve as main event thread), ask any questions, and if you have time, head over to the PSN thread to express something positive about the event to prop it up a bit, please.

Those good at Karts should start thinking about forming a team of 2-3 others (+1 alternate) who could support their effort to win the tour.

I realize cycling isn't the biggest sport in the US, but once you understand the nuances of a Grand Tour type race it will really be fun and interesting.

I've decided against listing this event anywhere but here and on the PSN site, but the entire GT Community will be welcome to participate.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 12:27:17 PM by Ex-Xboxfan »

EX_stream_tuna

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
Re: Introducing... le Tour de Kart
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2012, 12:11:21 PM »

I’d like to introduce to you a new racing series that will change the way you look at Kart racing forever.  A “grand tour” of epic proportions, with several competitions within the competition.  A series where well organized teams prevail and individuals obtain glory by working for and with their team to achieve objectives.

Introducing, le Tour de Kart!

If you are familiar with the Tour de France (no affiliation or endorsement is expressed or implied) then you will understand the format from the “get go”.  If you are unfamiliar with the concept, please read through this and ask questions.  The objective is to take much of the format of professional cycling’s premier “grand tour”, including multiple stages and multiple competitions, called “classifications”, and adapt them to Gran Turismo 5 as much as possible.  To do this, the best fit for a car class within GT5 is the PDI Racing Kart, for reasons which will become obvious as you continue to read.

Highlights

Team sport using strong draft to stay in groups. Teams wear identical racing suits (aka "Jerseys") and drive identical painted karts.

Multiple Competitions - Leading Racer (Yellow), Leading Team, Leading Sprinter (Green), and Best Climber (Spiral Red).  Current leader in each category changes Jersey to signify a lead in that category.

Ten or more stages (races) - Main leaderboard based on accumulated time.

Variety of stage profiles - Straight (Sprint), Moderate, and Twisty as well as Time Trials (Individual and Team).

Race Videos with commentary to encourage spectator aspect of the sport.

Ask questions, and I'll be happy to answer them.  Detailed scoring and rules will be posted shortly.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 12:13:37 PM by Ex-Xboxfan »

TheHotstepper

• Global Moderator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
  • HaTUNA Matata
    • Classic Car Weekly
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2012, 04:19:30 PM »

I read all the nitty gritty over on the death star and it sounds awesome. Too bad I hate karts  :(

LooneyTuna

• The Bored of Directors
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
  • One good turn deserves another. >-)))>
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2012, 06:31:41 PM »

I'd love to help with practice etc, but I just have a hard time committing to a team/schedule. The best of luck with this, I know it takes boatloads of work.
Dad is my co-pilot    Have you driven a 4rd lately?

EX_stream_tuna

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2012, 07:23:41 AM »

I read all the nitty gritty over on the death star and it sounds awesome. Too bad I hate karts  :(

haha... thanks I hear ya.  They're not for everyone.  I originally thought about doing this with the Clio/Lutecia cup cars because there are so many colors.  But drafting is a huge part of making the concept work.  Each kart needs to go a LOT faster in a draft to encourage packs of racers and, with the lower speed of karts it makes for more of a chance that using a partner to get around a course will make up time or lose it, depending on how you work together.

I was starting to brainstorm about this back before 2.0 physics changed the draft considerably.  The reduced draft (strong now is still weaker than before) caused me to worry it might not work.  But testing with AI racers and then using a three-stage mini version of this concept in GT SATURDAYS one week showed that the draft on Strong still works, especially when you set your gear higher for better top speeds.

Thanks for the kind words.

Looney, I may need some help at some point with testing one thing or another, or using "stand ins" for promotional videos.  I'll definitely remember your offer to help.

:-*

as far as what a "team schedule" might be like for this type of event.  It would be just to probably practice at least once for each race day, which will contain multiple stages.  So long as each member of a team knew the track (in a kart) and how to judge proximity to other karts neear them, and had a chance to practice some of the techniques that will be unique to this event, I don't see it as that much more of a committment than other races.

Now, for me on the other hand, it will as you said, be a boat load of work.

I'd like to get the event running by July, which is when the Tour de France runs.  I'd like to steer people into a Sunday or Monday evening schedule, which I think works best for me right now.  Though, other nights may work too.

I'll see about putting together a "demo night" to demonstrate some of the concepts in action, and use it to get footage of racing for a video to promote this...

I'll be p;osting my attempt at official rules and detailed event format soon. (I just didn't want to scare everyone away by posting a wall of text right away ;) )

RickS95

• The Bored of Directors
  • Bigeye Tuna
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2012, 07:58:30 AM »

I jerk off way too much and my wrists can't handle the beating taken by driving karts for an extended period of time. 

LastLeafFan

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Bigeye Tuna
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2012, 08:05:00 AM »

:lmao

EX_stream_tuna

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2012, 08:51:40 AM »

I jerk off way too much and my wrists can't handle the beating taken by driving karts for an extended period of time.  

lol... no one jerks it more than me, so I call B.S!  Though, in a few years I might agree ;)

EDIT: RIck, I think I just finally got the significance of our signature.  I know, I'm slow...
« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 08:54:04 AM by Ex-Xboxfan »

RickS95

• The Bored of Directors
  • Bigeye Tuna
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2012, 09:14:15 AM »

lol... no one jerks it more than me, so I call B.S!  Though, in a few years I might agree ;)

EDIT: RIck, I think I just finally got the significance of our signature.  I know, I'm slow...

It's been a sore spot for some of us that cut our racing teeth by trading paint with the same guys race after race after race (like a lot of you currently do).  Over time, different guys drifted in different directions and in order to race with our friends, some of us had to race 4 nights a week instead of just one to meet up with all of them.

Gar and some others came up with the signature and the initials VDFU (Veteran Drivers For Unity) to show the different leaders of the different places that some of us just wanted to race with ALL our friends and politics was getting in the way.

Needless to say, this is the only place that's allowed me to keep the signature (though I'm sure I could at the Death Star but I don't visit there) and the movement didn't really work very well.  But I liked the idea and keep the sig up. 

EX_stream_tuna

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2012, 09:30:42 AM »

even though most of this drama was before my time, I also like to have friends in each of those groups...

other than a loosely knit group from over at PSN, I'd say this place feels more like "home" than any other.

GoesTuna11

• The Bored of Directors
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2012, 09:36:55 AM »

It's been a sore spot for some of us that cut our racing teeth by trading paint with the same guys race after race after race (like a lot of you currently do).  Over time, different guys drifted in different directions and in order to race with our friends, some of us had to race 4 nights a week instead of just one to meet up with all of them.

Gar and some others came up with the signature and the initials VDFU (Veteran Drivers For Unity) to show the different leaders of the different places that some of us just wanted to race with ALL our friends and politics was getting in the way.

Needless to say, this is the only place that's allowed me to keep the signature (though I'm sure I could at the Death Star but I don't visit there) and the movement didn't really work very well.  But I liked the idea and keep the sig up. 

What is the bottom left represent?  Are things really that bad that they won't let you keep that sig?

EX_stream_tuna

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2012, 09:39:44 AM »

I believe it's mr. forgetful from driversports.org

that's the avatar he uses over there...

GoesTuna11

• The Bored of Directors
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2012, 09:55:37 AM »

Did Forgetful break away from TPRA?  Boy am I out of the loop.

RickS95

• The Bored of Directors
  • Bigeye Tuna
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2012, 10:15:41 AM »

Yes, that is Forgetful's avatar from DriverSports.

Different places have different philosophies about things.  Gar gave me that sig.  I like and respect Gar.  I liked the idea.  I put it up at the 4-letter as my sig and it was immediately taken down.

I joined DriverSports because of Clacksman.  I put up the sig there.  It was immediately taken down.  Clacks told me shit like that wasn't appreciated there.  A few days later, I visited DriverSports and noticed ttourist had up the same sig.  I just looked at see that the sig is still up there.  Given that when I put up the sig it was taken down, yet someone else still has it up, I said 'fuck em' and deleted my account with them.  

Eventually I calmed down and joined the site again in January because I had given up on all the groups having a "can't we all get along" mentality and have accepted the thought that if I wanted to race with ALL my friends, I was going to have to join 3-4 different sites and race 3-4 nights a week.  However, it wasn't soon as joining DriverSports again that I realized I didn't have any desire to read one of Forgetful's novels about track boundaries and all the other bullshit that goes with racing there and haven't been back.

Gar recently asked me to join a series he was running.  I knew I was going to take some lumps running in a Gar-type series and all the freaks he'd attract, but it meant something to me that a freak like Gar asked so I'm doing that now.  The other part of the reason of running with Gar at the 4-letter is because of the memorial they had for GolfPro.  Despite its relative lack of organization, I got to run with some of my friends that I haven't seen on the track in a couple years.  I had fun.  It was good to be on the track with a few of them.

But ultimately, this is the place that feels the most at home.  I don't get much grief here for having a bad attitude and if I break the rules no one busts my balls.  One of the things I always appreciated about GolfPro was that from time to time he'd write the 'wrules and regulations' for an event and it would say something like "first lap is a pace lap, to be run until such and such point at such and such speed (except for Rick, who'll likely take off like a bat out of hell and not stop til the race ends)."  

I've said it before and I'll say it again...I wouldn't be here if it wasn't for GolfPro.  He welcomed me here and then gave me the keys to the bored room.  I told him I wasn't terribly Tuna-like and I didn't always see things the way others did, especially here as it came to competition.  He told me that was exactly why he gave me the keys.  I happily joined.  

GrumpyTuna

• The Bored of Directors
  • Southern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2012, 10:16:26 AM »

Did Forgetful break away from TPRA?  Boy am I out of the loop.

Yes he did, maybe about four or five months ago or better. Took a few guys from TPRA with him also.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up