SupaTunaGT

• May 07, 2024, 05:43:44 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Around here we're just FAST enough to have FUN.

Race FAST!  Race HARD!!  Race CLEAN!!!   Have FUN!!!!

Long line Tunas!!!

Linked Events

• Japanese Sport Light Test: July 08, 2012
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Japanese Sport Light  (Read 1189 times)

Turbo-Tuna

• The Bored of Directors
  • Bigeye Tuna
Japanese Sport Light
« on: July 08, 2012, 06:57:19 AM »

This has become a place for me to write down ideas
---------------------------------------------------

Limited Car Spec Class - still needs timing of events, specific car mod list, 'rules'

250hp, 1230kg - Toyota 86 GT, Scion FR-S, Subaru BRZ
225hp, 1100kg - Mazda Roadster '07

Rear Wing required, adjusted to maximum downforce. (Other GT Auto aero mods optional)
Specified bolt on engine parts (with limited power reduction)
Fullly adjustable transmission
Any drivetrain mods EXCEPT LSD
Height adjustable suspension
sport soft tires
stock weight - hood replacement allowed...add the weight back on

A stable suspension setup will be provided for both cars. Tuning tips are welcome.

Track Schedule

Oct 26 - High Speed Ring Reverse
Nov  9 - Cape Ring Periphery
Nov 23 - Deep Forest Raceway
Dec 7   - Circuit de la Sarthe '09
Dec 21 - Suzuka
Jan 4   - Indy Speedway
Jan 18 - Daytona Road

Points Struture
PositionPoints
Multi Car Spec Class

Roadster '07, R-S/BRZ/86GT, Silvia '02, S2000 '06
other possible cars: Opel Speedster/Turbo, Toyota MR-2 Spyder '02, MG TF160

bolt on engine parts to achieve car's spec...with limited power reduction
any transmission desired
any drivetrain modes desired EXCEPT LSD
STOCK or SPORT FIXED suspension
sport soft tires
stock weight

Tracks...Nurburgring GP/D, Rome, Indy Road/Oval, Sarthe, Motegi East/Oval, there may be another...it's written somewhere.

I'm beginning to ignore the 'Japanese' title here.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 09:04:40 AM by Turbo-Tuna »

Wolfpack987

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Southern Bluefin Tuna
Re: Japanese Sport Light - Monday July 9
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2012, 06:42:11 AM »

Hey Turbo, love your idea for a spec series such as this!  I'm pretty busy this week but I could participate and/or help test out cars/setups a bit next week.  If you were to start a series itself however I don't think I could participate till August  :P

Really really like the idea of using sport medium tires! ^-^

PSN ID = dawson864

Turbo-Tuna

• The Bored of Directors
  • Bigeye Tuna
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2012, 04:20:29 PM »

I really want to do a series with these little cars. I want to know what people want though, as my ideas may not be the same. There are some things I'm really stubborn about - the basic level of cars, approx PP level, sport tires - soft or medium, no weather/time change.

Other stuff I'd like input on. I'd like to provide a full tuning spec for the cars. Do people need flexibility? Two 20 minute 'sprint' races (same track) or a 40 - 45 minute race? What night is best for racing...Monday, Wednesday, Sunday, other?

I'll be online tonight or Friday night. I might try testing then.

Feldynn

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2012, 05:13:32 PM »

I like the idea of a limited tuning series with a few cars, reminds me a bit of Wolfpack's 90s Japanese series which was a lot of fun!  Unfortunately I'm annoyingly flexible in terms of what night so whatever's good with everyone else should be fine with me ;D, also I don't mind if it's a pair of short races or one longer one so (if really pushed I'd say one 40-45 minute race might be nice but either is cool with me).

With regard to the tuning / mods I have a sort of couple of suggestions and / or questions.  Have you considered maybe using the Height-adjustable Suspension instead of the Fully Custom one?  If I remember right you get a small range to adjust the springs and ride height similar to what you've already specified, but I think the range is more inline with the car's original settings, with camber being the only other adjustable (though I think it goes all the way to 10).

Regarding the LSD would it be possible to use either the stock LSD or the Fully Custom one at default settings?  Just curious because I've been experimenting with stock parts some lately.  And I'm with Wolfpack on the Sports: Medium tires, it's one grade I think that almost never gets used!

Oh and I know it might be jumping the gun a bit but I'd probably be in either the Nissan Silvia or the Toyota 86 GT :).

"Not visualising the equine bestowment via it's verbilisation aperture!"

"Every silver lining has a touch of grey.."

Turbo-Tuna

• The Bored of Directors
  • Bigeye Tuna
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2012, 09:43:38 PM »

One of the problems with this is I really want to include the new Scion/Toyota - with other cars - which has crappy suspension, even with height adjustable suspension. I might test it though to be sure. With a spec tune on fully adjustable, the same settings work on 3 of the 4 cars (S2000 is the oddball...i attribute it to 50/50 weight). LSD is odd on the Scion too, but with less drastic effects. I would be open to saying...your choice, stay stock or use defaults on the adjustable one.

Wolfpack987

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Southern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2012, 07:47:38 AM »

I like the idea of a limited tuning series with a few cars, reminds me a bit of Wolfpack's 90s Japanese series which was a lot of fun! 

Thanks Feldynn ;D  Turbo seeing as how I designed my series around mostly stock vehicles you know I have no qualms about participating in a similar series! :jimi:

For availability I would prefer it not being Monday.  Most any other weekday should be fine thoguh.  I always prefer longer races over short ones since pit strategy and tire wear come into play (though with sport medium tires it may be a non-issue).  However I can go either way.

PSN ID = dawson864

Turbo-Tuna

• The Bored of Directors
  • Bigeye Tuna
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2012, 10:10:20 AM »

I'll do testing with cheap suspension upgrades - I thought a spec tune on fully adjustable might be better.

Turbo-Tuna

• The Bored of Directors
  • Bigeye Tuna
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2012, 07:34:08 AM »

These cars are great, but honestly the Scion has a really lousy stock setup that can't be fixed reasonably (that I know of) without fully adjustable suspension. Now on some tracks the Scion is OK I'm sure...but at Spa or Deep Forest for example, it sucks. It's loose rear end reacts very poorly to banking (or bumps?). I really wanted to set up something easy (stock or spec) that included the Scion with cars that have some similar characteristics. I think a spec setup for the three front heavy cars and a slightly modified setup for the S2000 would work. The goal of my spec tunes is not to make the cars perfect or optimized race cars, it just to slightly improve their behavior and stability. I put them in the OP. If someone could test them and tell me how they work, that would be awesome. I may not be online today, but maybe a little bit tomorrow and Sunday.

Wolfpack987

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Southern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2012, 08:51:08 AM »

I haven't driven the Scion at all and the GT 86 just a bit but I have noticed that the car responds ridiculously poorly to camber changes and bumps in the road.  There are 2-3 spots around the Nurburgring where the car would spin out like crazy without any changing input from me.  Steady steering angle, constant throttle...and BAM, its spinning like a top.  So I think I understand what you are talking about a bit.

I thought I would be unpacking in my new house this week (and have the PS3 ready to go in due order) but instead I came down with pneumonia the day before my move so...yeah I haven't moved yet.  I'm finally getting better now, but the move isn't happening till this Saturday and then Sunday its off to NY.  No GT5 play for me till July 30th at the earliest.

But when I can play again I'm looking forward to this series, or at the least helping Turbo shake down these cars further :)

PSN ID = dawson864

Turbo-Tuna

• The Bored of Directors
  • Bigeye Tuna
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2012, 11:03:53 AM »

I think I'll check some car stuff out now...kids are sleeping... my schedule, combined with the supatuna events schedules, makes me hesitant to launch it. Commitment issues, I guess. I'm in no hurry though. There seems to be a lot going on.

I gotta ask though (whoever feels like responding), would this be more interesting with just a HP boost? (Basically is it better at 450 PP or 425 - stock weight)

Wolfpack987

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Southern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2012, 12:13:03 PM »

I would think that with proper track selection the stock horsepower levels could be more than adequate enough when combined with sport medium tires.  There's also the option of switching to sport hard tires too :P

PSN ID = dawson864

Turbo-Tuna

• The Bored of Directors
  • Bigeye Tuna
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2012, 10:37:53 AM »

Sports Hard? Not on my watch.  :P

But yeah, I think 425 would be fine, especially with people voicing appreciation for the Econo Box races in ToC, which if I recall was 400 on SM, mostly in wrong wheel drives.

I've tested a new suspension setup that is a bit simpler too, and it adheres to a more stock concept (in OP)

Wolfpack987

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Southern Bluefin Tuna
Re: Japanese Sport Light
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2012, 07:14:43 AM »

Holy crap, I go away for 9 days and come back here to discover that...nothing has happened or been posted 

PSN ID = dawson864

Turbo-Tuna

• The Bored of Directors
  • Bigeye Tuna
Re: Japanese Sport Light
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2012, 08:09:24 AM »

Has it been 9 days? I was honestly waiting for the tuna cup rally series to end. Check Brindles Barn for a new series on Wednesday nights. Basically this on on hold for a few months, but I might do a one off some night. (I updated the OP)
Pages: [1]   Go Up