SupaTunaGT

• May 02, 2024, 12:15:10 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Coming Attractions?

Watch this space for new News as it develops, or...

Check out the "ONLINE EVENTS" thread...

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down

Author Topic: TunaPitReject's Touring Planning Thread (Not a Race Thread, Planning Only)  (Read 5668 times)

Feldynn

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna

So I ran a few laps around the Practice Mode HSRR (with grip set to Real) with a Lamborghini Murcielago, Ford GT, Mercedes C 63 AMG and Jaguar XK Coupe Luxury, all at 1500kg (except the C 63 was 1557kg) and 550pp.  With just some minor tuning to reduce the comedy oversteer on banked turns I found the Lambo and Ford GT were lapping low 1'04s with ease but the Merc and Jag ran low 1'05s and it was a struggle all the way. 

Granted I'm sure some of the struggle could be tuned out of the Merc / Jag but if they can be improved I wouldn't doubt the other two could be made even better as well, I know for sure I didn't get the best out of any of them though since I'm just an average driver at best and would have marginally more success setting up a tent than a car suspension :D.

I do like the sound of a 1500kg (or even 1600kg) weight range and while I'd rather not exclude any type of car I have a feeling that if we want this to be more of a Touring style event (like the 276hp class, with a variety of competitive cars / drivetrains / body styles) then we're going to have to draw a line in the sand somewhere.  My worry is that if we don't then it'll become somewhat of a one horse race, not that there won't be different cars out there just that they could end up being only the supercar types rather than a mix of 2-door coupes, 4-door businessman cars, high end convertibles and even some hatchbacks, because to be honest the supercars handle so much better right from the get go why choose anything less.

As I said in an earlier post, if we do decide to separate the cars out some it's a great opportunity for an instant 3rd class.  That being one entirely for the supercars that can have less restrictions so they can really show off their power and handling, and if anyone can tune up some of the lesser cars to be competitive with them then more's the better.  Like I say I don't want to exclude supercars, I just think they're so awesome they deserve their own competitive series :D.

"Not visualising the equine bestowment via it's verbilisation aperture!"

"Every silver lining has a touch of grey.."

TunaPitReject

• SOLITARY Confinement
  • Yellowfin Tuna

:stoopid:

Turbo-Tuna

• The Bored of Directors
  • Bigeye Tuna

Yes, supercars, MR cars and 2 seater high performance sports cars 'deserve' a class of their own. Feldynn's testing of those 4 cars shows the difference.

I filtered through a car list and put the result in it's own spreadsheet. (do with this sheet as you please) Summary of results...

I separated cars into 3 classes. Touring 6, Touring 8 (they might go together), and Sport.

Touring 6 and 8 are mostly performance coupes/sedans - they have back seats. The lightest one is the M3 GTR at 1350 kg. (could be boosted to 1550) There are no MR/RR cars here. There are also not many in my list.

Sport is pure sports cars, mostly high performance, anything goes (I used min weight 1200kg) Most of these have no back seats. (I put some cars in here that some might think are Touring)

I think these numbers are all nice, but testing is where the real answer is (thank you Feldynn), which I haven't done. Ultimately, any weight would work, so do testing, perhaps with some help, and see where it leads.

[attachment deleted during "purge" by admin]

TunaPitReject

• SOLITARY Confinement
  • Yellowfin Tuna

Awesome work Turbo. You rock.   

Wolfpack987

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Southern Bluefin Tuna

Awesome work TurboTuna!  Very impressive database.

However, there is one thing I take issue with.  I don't think the M3 GTR belongs in either Touring category.  It is a stripped down version of the regular M3, only 10 were produced for homologation purposes, and it does not have a rear seat.  New it cost over $200,000.

Seems like an entirely different beast to me!

PSN ID = dawson864

Rated-M3

• Yellowfin Tuna
  • Because race car

I'd just like to add, in defense of MR cars, that my M3 (FR) was running faster than them at HSR.  I was running 1' 10.4xx"  As for real road courses, I'm not sure how it will play out.

Feldynn

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna

Excellent spreadsheet Turbo, thanks!

Turbo-Tuna

• The Bored of Directors
  • Bigeye Tuna

Rated, I bet if you got a '97 or later NSX set to these specs and spent an hour testing it, you could hit 1'09.xxx without a draft.  :o

Rated-M3

• Yellowfin Tuna
  • Because race car

Rated, I bet if you got a '97 or later NSX set to these specs and spent an hour testing it, you could hit 1'09.xxx without a draft.  :o

May be possible.  The one at Mnday nights race was the premium '91 Acura NSX.  Eggs brought the Clio and was up front with it as well.

Feldynn

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna

I did manage to get a fastest lap in Practice Mode of 1'09.xxx with an NSX Type S Zero but it did have some handling problems, which we now know how to combat, and that was a good second faster than the best lap I'd got with anything else just doing practice laps. 

Speaking of the Clio though, I actually thought that was a pretty good car and even though it is MR it was competitive with everything else but didn't drive off into the sunset like the NSX did in my testing.  I remember Eggs' one in the races now (and I think there was a white one too maybe), had a great battle for position with him and some of the RIP gold chrome cars too if I remember right.

TunaPitReject

• SOLITARY Confinement
  • Yellowfin Tuna

You know ... this is SupaTuna ... we can wing it for a week. Want to allow MR next race? We can. I'll be driving an NSX.

MS

Wolfpack987

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Southern Bluefin Tuna

:o

PSN ID = dawson864

Feldynn

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna

I took a proper look through Turbo's list (thankyou so much again for putting the list together Turbo!!) as well as my garage and the Dealerships and added another 10 or so cars that I think might also be good.  Assuming that the Touring 8 and Touring 6 classes are essentially V8 / V6 engines I added some to both but some of the Touring 6 ones are actually Inline 6 engines, but I think they could do well.

Looking down the weight list I'm thinking that a 1600kg limit may be the best goal, it will unfortunately knock out two BMWs (the M3 GTR and CSL, highlighted yellow on the sheet) but if we combine the Touring 6 and 8 classes there's still a good 40 odd cars to choose from and probably a few more besides that aren't on that list yet.  There may well be some cross over from the 1300kg / 276hp Touring Challenge too, though it would probably mean buying new versions for the higher weight limit.

So we'd be looking at something like 1600kg, 550pp, Inline 6 to V8 engine group with no supercars?  If that sounds reasonable I've got no problems throwing some money at cars and running some more laps :).  Also hopefully I managed to attach a new version of Turbo's spreadsheet with the additions I made.

[attachment deleted during "purge" by admin]

TunaPitReject

• SOLITARY Confinement
  • Yellowfin Tuna

I need a little time to stew this over.

Rated-M3

• Yellowfin Tuna
  • Because race car

Would a price cap knock out some of the NSXs?  I know they are usually 75k and up, even used.  I'm surprised I didn't see and Lotus' Monday which I would have thought, as always would dominate.  I didn't test one for myself, but a couple of my team mates took the RX-8 over the Evora and Elise.  Maybe it was handling issues.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up