SupaTunaGT

• May 03, 2024, 09:07:07 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Coming Attractions?

Watch this space for new News as it develops, or...

Check out the "ONLINE EVENTS" thread...

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: 05/30/11 Monday Tuna Touring Challenge - HSR Reverse (276hp/1300kg/450PP)  (Read 7442 times)

Feldynn

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna

Interesting, thanks Turbo (and Rated-M3)!  I'd had a similar problem with a few FR cars myself, notably a '96 Nissan 180SX and possibly my Lexus GS300 but put it down to a combination of my novice driving as I did manage to smooth it out a bit by coming in slower and not going hard on the throttle til it was "safe" but obviously that ended up in slower times.  Might have to try that later, I sense some testing runs tonight :).

"Not visualising the equine bestowment via it's verbilisation aperture!"

"Every silver lining has a touch of grey.."

Wolfpack987

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Southern Bluefin Tuna

Good to know!  Maybe it will work for RX7s and S2000s as well, 2 cars that enjoy going ass end first a lot in that turn. :o

PSN ID = dawson864

TunaPitReject

• SOLITARY Confinement
  • Yellowfin Tuna

Amateur Tuning Tip/Story

I dropped into Rated-M3's lounge and he was driving (drum roll......) an M3 '04, set up to Monday's specs. He commented that it was uncontrollable in turn one (HSR-Reverse). So I get in mine, and there it is. The back end is all over the place, just like a MR car. Apparently when BMW says 'perfect balance', they're not talking about banked corners. I tried to fix this problem with MR cars in another lounge and failed. This time, I followed the pointers posted from Gar in some other thread. One idea was 'To fix mid corner oversteer, lower rear spring rate' So I did. Result: It was bad. Even worse than stock. So I went the other way. Stock was 9.1, I raised it to 12.2 - a big adjustment, but this is how I operate. It worked! I was quite surprised. It still owned the esses too. With 250hp (to get down to 450PP), it's not the fastest on the straight. Still, Rated and I ended up taking 1.5 seconds off of the lap times, making it competitive with my other cars (except the RX8 ;D)

Dude Summary: Raising the rear spring rate on BMW M3 '04 made the car stable in a fast banked corner. This Might work for MR cars....needs testing!)

Yeah, I had the same problem on the NSX. I believe I tried the same approach and ended up with a stiff rear end (insert joke here). The other thing I did was add a wing. And that's when the NSX really started to dominate that track.

MS

Turbo-Tuna

• The Bored of Directors
  • Bigeye Tuna

Amateur Tuning Confirmed

I tried the high rear spring rate on a '99 NSX Type S Zero in Monday racing spec and it worked beatufully. It instantly got into the 10s, and may have reached 160mph without a draft. (modify...this is without a wing) Basically, that's dominance by MR, as the original testers suggested. Not that I really doubted them, but my only test in a MR ended in disaster and me not wanting to see another NSX ever.

DesertSniper72

• The Bored of Directors
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
  • Front Towards Enemy

Amateur Tuning Tip/Story

I dropped into Rated-M3's lounge and he was driving (drum roll......) an M3 '04, set up to Monday's specs. He commented that it was uncontrollable in turn one (HSR-Reverse). So I get in mine, and there it is. The back end is all over the place, just like a MR car. Apparently when BMW says 'perfect balance', they're not talking about banked corners. I tried to fix this problem with MR cars in another lounge and failed. This time, I followed the pointers posted from Gar in some other thread. One idea was 'To fix mid corner oversteer, lower rear spring rate' So I did. Result: It was bad. Even worse than stock. So I went the other way. Stock was 9.1, I raised it to 12.2 - a big adjustment, but this is how I operate. It worked! I was quite surprised. It still owned the esses too. With 250hp (to get down to 450PP), it's not the fastest on the straight. Still, Rated and I ended up taking 1.5 seconds off of the lap times, making it competitive with my other cars (except the RX8 ;D)

Dude Summary: Raising the rear spring rate on BMW M3 '04 made the car stable in a fast banked corner. This Might work for MR cars....needs testing!)

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

I was getting the same issue with the '04 M3 and tried the same thing you did by lowing the rear springs. Didn't even think to increase them. ima try that.

Rated-M3

• Yellowfin Tuna
  • Because race car

Amateur Tuning Tip/Story

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

I was getting the same issue with the '04 M3 and tried the same thing you did by lowing the rear springs. Didn't even think to increase them. ima try that.

Yes, thanks turbo! I was fiddling with everything but the rear springs while following the same tuning chart.  I think a different concept applies to fast corners ???.  I was having 'some' luck with the dampers until you revealed the secret.  Thank goodness I don't have to use that spoiler.  If they had different styles, I would consider it, but the 3 available just don't sit right on the M3.

So now, turn 1 can be taken flat out, but the esses get a little tricky with the higher rear spring.  I dialed out the imposed understeer with everthing else.   

1' 11. 172" was my best.  Chasing down a 1' 10.7xx", I can say that the M3 has the abitiy to practically out turn the faster cars, its only downfall is the straight.  Which at HSR-R, the finish is a draft contest.

Rated-M3

• Yellowfin Tuna
  • Because race car

Posted on RIP forum  :)

TunaPhreak

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Atlantic Bluefin Tuna
  • Do or do not, there is no try.

Yeah, I think I was rolling in the RX-7 with Hound and Strat battling the same thing.  If I nailed the first turn I'd get through it, but too much or too little, and that back end was doing circles around me!

And much to my surprise like you, right before giving up on the car I eventually raised the back spring rate (and also I think lowered anti-roll by 1) and holy crap did that car stick all of a sudden, it started to feel almost as good if not better than the 300Z I was using!  I guess bank logic is quite different than flat logic!
Race smarter, not harder!
http://www.mygranturismo.net/26145
My PSN is PsychoPhreak, not TunaPhreak. You can tune a car but you can't TunaPhreak!

Rated-M3

• Yellowfin Tuna
  • Because race car

Anyone want to practice?  Maybe open a lobby.

TunaPitReject

• SOLITARY Confinement
  • Yellowfin Tuna

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. But I can't sign in to the PSN right now for some reason.    >:(

Rated-M3

• Yellowfin Tuna
  • Because race car

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. But I can't sign in to the PSN right now for some reason.    >:(

I ended up committing to memorial day event.  I was eventually able to sign in earlier.

Rated-M3

• Yellowfin Tuna
  • Because race car

Is this going to be in open lobby?  I'll be ready at 9 on the dot. 

P.S. Weather was nice today.  You could say the bitching about start times was for nothing, but I've been wanting to mention something about that for a while.  I put it out there and I hope its taken into consideration for all events in the future.

TunaPitReject

• SOLITARY Confinement
  • Yellowfin Tuna

Room is up in the Open Lobby ...

Room #: 1472-6118-3701-4257-5415    <- new room!!

Come join the fun.

MS
« Last Edit: May 30, 2011, 07:16:11 PM by TunaPitReject »

Feldynn

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna

Trying to get in but I'm getting a "compatibility with room host" error (code 706), no idea what that's about :(.

Odd, surfed the interweb for answers then tried again and got in lol.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2011, 07:14:18 PM by Feldynn »

"Not visualising the equine bestowment via it's verbilisation aperture!"

"Every silver lining has a touch of grey.."

Rated-M3

• Yellowfin Tuna
  • Because race car

Hey strat, sorry the connection was working for ya tonight.  Maybe we can try 2 rooms of 12 next time.  The format is awesome and I would like to see it continue.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Up