SupaTunaGT

• May 05, 2024, 08:18:39 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

On Tuesday Nights join TheHotstepper for "Tuneless Tuesdays" (TuTu for short)

Thursday Night is "A Touch of Class" night; sponsored by Feldynn...

Check out the Career in a Year Friday nights 9pm eastern

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: rFactor 2  (Read 23530 times)

Wiz

• Tech
  • Administrator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
Re: rFactor 2
« Reply #60 on: March 19, 2013, 03:54:41 PM »

MX5,

I haven't seen the track you're looking for yet.  I doubt anyone will convert it for quite a while.  Everyone is working on the more well known tracks at this time.  I'll keep an eye out for it.

And there really isn't an official list anywhere as tracks are scattered all across the internet.

Here is my best effort at a complete list of tracks available....

Bahrain; v0.80
 Black Hole Ring v1.20
 Blackwood v1.0
 Botniaring v0.6
 Brianza1966 v1.0
 British GP v0.89
 Canberra 400 v1.0
 Canyelles54 v1.01
 Carolina Motorsports Park v0.7
 Croft v0.91
 Deuna City Circuit v1.04
DTM BrandsHatch v0.7
DTM Eurospeedway v0.8
DTM Norisring v0.8
DTM Nurburgring v1.0
DTM Oschersleben v0.8
DTM RedBullRing v0.8
DTM Zandvoort v0.7
 Dunsfold v0.90b
 Dunsfold v0.90
 Essington Park v1.03
 Fuji 2012 v1.02
 Hockenheim v0.77
 Hockenheim 1960 v0.85
 HP Topeka v1.01
 Imola 2006 v1.01
 Indianapolis v0.1
 Istanbul Park v0.75
 Jarama 1979 v0.8
 Kyalami 1975 v0.8
LagunaSeca ALMS v0.1
 Lienz v0.91
 Long Beach 2011 v0.91
 Lutzland Circuit v1.01
 Melbourne v0.55
Melbourne GP 2013 beta v0.01
 Mid Ohio v1.91
 Montreal 2008 v1.6
 Montreal DRS v1.0
 Monza v1.1
 Motor Sport Ranch v0.92
 Mountain Forest v0.5
 Nazareth Speedway v1.00
 Nordschleife 1975 v0.86
 Oran Park v1.1
 Orchard Lake v1.02
 Pembrey v1.0
 Pocoyo Park v1.06
 Poznan Circuit v1.0
 Pukekohe Park v0.5
 Putnam Park v1.0
 Salem Valley v1.10
 Searspoint RW v1.35
 Sebring v1.90
 Silverstone 1970 v0.2
 Silverstone DRS v1.0
 Snetterton 300 v0.71
 Spa-Francorchamps 2011 v0.86
 Toban v0.78
 Toronto 2007 v0.9
Valencia v0.7
Watkins Glen v0.2
Watkins Glen 1970 v0.8

These are just all the community mod tracks, none from the ISI guys.

Some of these in this list are better than others.  In fact, some of them flat out suck.

MX5#98

• SOLITARY Confinement
  • Southern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #61 on: March 19, 2013, 04:01:42 PM »

How are they creating the tracks? Is there a track editor? The rF1 version of the track is pretty accurate. Again, I wish I could go drive the track with some sort of app running on my phone, export the data and then import it into some kind of track editor with these games. That would open up unlimited tracks and would be so cool. Then I could just go drive the thing this weekend and be done.

Another good one down here in Texas is COTA:

http://circuitoftheamericas.com

I'd love to drive that one some day (both in person and in a sim).

MX
PSN ID: MX5_Racer_69
iRacing: Michael Schaefer2

MX5#98

• SOLITARY Confinement
  • Southern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #62 on: March 19, 2013, 04:06:57 PM »

Oh, and here is why you want to drive it in a sim, costs $50,000/day to rent for the day:

http://circuitoftheamericas.com/visit/track-rental

Also, if you hit one of the high speed barriers, it costs $3000 per foot of damage to fix. LOL. Yikes.

MX

GoesTuna11

• Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #63 on: March 19, 2013, 05:04:21 PM »

It was down when I tried last night.

Yeah sorry about that.  After we left for the night I shut it down.

You guys don't like the Skippy?  I love the skippy at Limerock.

I wouldn't say I don't like it...  I just need a little more seat time in it before I run it for a full night.  It's a tricky car for sure.  Once the tires get warmed up it's not too bad.  We ran both versions and I think I'd rather run the version with the slicks for an event.  The street tire version is a bitch.  :laugh

Have you guys tried the Marussia?  The one that rFactor gave to me appears to be flawed.  It apparently thinks that it is either an offroad car or a ballerina (it keeps doing spins).

Haven't tried it yet.  I'm reading mixed reviews on the official forums.  Some guys love it, some guys hate it.  I'll probably try it over the weekend.

I figured that you shut it down.

Which tire does the skippy have by default?

F1 cars are tricky in that I suspect that no one who comments on them have actually driven one.  Therefore, I don't trust anyone on a forum that says that they got it right or got it wrong.  The only thing that I know, is that Hammond on Top Gear had a heck of a time driving one in real life.  I just want them to get it right.  Don't dumb it down for people.  It's supposed to be a sim after all.

Wiz

• Tech
  • Administrator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #64 on: March 19, 2013, 05:47:50 PM »

How are they creating the tracks? Is there a track editor? The rF1 version of the track is pretty accurate. Again, I wish I could go drive the track with some sort of app running on my phone, export the data and then import it into some kind of track editor with these games. That would open up unlimited tracks and would be so cool. Then I could just go drive the thing this weekend and be done.

Most of the modders use GPS data, Google Earth (Pro) & the like to get the general layout mapped.  Then, using a program like 3DSMax, layout the framework (mesh) for the track and the surrounding area.  Then they need to apply textures to said mesh.  Then they need to program the AI to go around the track.  Then they need to do a bunch of other stuff too.

I remember your phone app idea.  While neat, it will probably never work.  It may be able to get the basic layout someday, but you still need to create the mesh, apply textures, create AI, animations, etc. 

MX

Circuit of the Americas is already available in Simraceway & Game Stock Car.  Simraceway isn't my favorite game, but Game Stock Car is fantastic.  It's only $20 too.

Wiz

• Tech
  • Administrator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #65 on: March 19, 2013, 05:54:34 PM »

The believe the default tire is the street tire.

F1 cars are tricky in that I suspect that no one who comments on them have actually driven one.  Therefore, I don't trust anyone on a forum that says that they got it right or got it wrong.  The only thing that I know, is that Hammond on Top Gear had a heck of a time driving one in real life.  I just want them to get it right.  Don't dumb it down for people.  It's supposed to be a sim after all.

Appartently Marussia gave them the all access pass and the main ISI dude says the car is accurate according to the data they received.  That's all that matters to me.  I agree that most forums users don't know shit, myself included.

GoesTuna11

• Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #66 on: March 19, 2013, 10:23:59 PM »

The believe the default tire is the street tire.

It's the street tire if you take the default series and slick if you take the national series.  Learned something new tonight.
F1 cars are tricky in that I suspect that no one who comments on them have actually driven one.  Therefore, I don't trust anyone on a forum that says that they got it right or got it wrong.  The only thing that I know, is that Hammond on Top Gear had a heck of a time driving one in real life.  I just want them to get it right.  Don't dumb it down for people.  It's supposed to be a sim after all.

Appartently Marussia gave them the all access pass and the main ISI dude says the car is accurate according to the data they received.  That's all that matters to me.  I agree that most forums users don't know shit, myself included.

Having very accurate data can actually make it feel worse.  With estimates for data you can fudge either the car settings or the physics until the car feels right.  With accurate data, if it doesn't behave properly, then the physics are wrong.  This was the problem that LFS ran into.  They've always done fake cars.  When they got data for a real car, their tire model fell apart.  Thus started their ten year quest to get a new tire model.  I joke about the ten years but LFS takes "soon" to a whole new level from PD.  I think this is also the problem that iRacing is running into with the classic Lotus F1 car.  Their tire model isn't up to snuff so they can't get the car to behave properly.

Long term, this is a good thing because it stresses your physics engine so you can test it better and improve it.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 10:31:57 PM by GoesTuna11 »

MX5#98

• SOLITARY Confinement
  • Southern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #67 on: March 20, 2013, 07:06:46 AM »

Most of the modders use GPS data, Google Earth (Pro) & the like to get the general layout mapped.  Then, using a program like 3DSMax, layout the framework (mesh) for the track and the surrounding area.  Then they need to apply textures to said mesh.  Then they need to program the AI to go around the track.  Then they need to do a bunch of other stuff too.

I remember your phone app idea.  While neat, it will probably never work.  It may be able to get the basic layout someday, but you still need to create the mesh, apply textures, create AI, animations, etc. 

MX

Circuit of the Americas is already available in Simraceway & Game Stock Car.  Simraceway isn't my favorite game, but Game Stock Car is fantastic.  It's only $20 too.

Thanks for the info on COTA. I may pick Stock Car just for that. And cool to know how the modders are doing it. Sounds like that could be fun to do sometime. If I was building a track for the purpose of practicing before a track day, I wouldn't care about AI or textures or any of that. I'd just care about the general layout of the track, the sequence of left and right turns and any elevation changes. All the rest is just gravy.

MX

Wiz

• Tech
  • Administrator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #68 on: March 20, 2013, 08:20:19 AM »

Thanks for the info on COTA. I may pick Stock Car just for that. And cool to know how the modders are doing it.

Just so you know, the COTA track for Game Stock Car is a mod track and it's not one of the better tracks I've seen.  It's ok though and pretty fun to drive.  Here is the best video I could find of it...

Game Stock Car 2012 - Race! Formula 3 @ Circuit of The Americas

If I was building a track for the purpose of practicing before a track day, I wouldn't care about AI or textures or any of that. I'd just care about the general layout of the track, the sequence of left and right turns and any elevation changes. All the rest is just gravy.

MX

Well, you have to care about textures.  Without textures, the track you'd be racing on would look like this...

« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 08:31:07 AM by TunaWiz »

MX5#98

• SOLITARY Confinement
  • Southern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #69 on: March 20, 2013, 09:09:49 AM »

Regarding textures ... you know what I mean.  :)

So long as it auto-textures the road surface (cement gray would be fine) and the curbing (red and white would be fine by default) then it would be fine. You could auto texture the non-road surfaces as grass or a solid color, doesn't matter. Even the GT5 course designer is able to handle this simple task of auto generating the backgrounds and road textures. So it's been done before. We don't have to make this harder than it needs to be.

:)

MX

Wiz

• Tech
  • Administrator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #70 on: March 20, 2013, 08:46:10 PM »

The mod for this Friday can be downloaded HERE

Put this mod in your packages folder and install it with mod manager.

Server name is Good Times and the password is goos

It's Meganes at Lime Rock no chicanes.

Races will start around 9 eastern.  I'll probably run it until 2 or 3 am.

Server is currently up and will run from now until Saturday.

I'll probably post it at official ISI forum and maybe at GTP as well.  I doubt we'll get many people with this time slot but we'll give it a shot.

Rek

• The Bored of Directors
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
  • "Global Peace Through Deadly Force"
« Reply #71 on: March 21, 2013, 05:52:45 AM »

I will be running a few laps this evening if anyone wants to stop by.

Wiz

• Tech
  • Administrator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #72 on: March 21, 2013, 07:50:46 AM »

Forgot to mention....  

LiveMonitor  HERE

Hotlap tracker  HERE

« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 07:53:00 AM by TunaWiz »

Wiz

• Tech
  • Administrator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #73 on: March 21, 2013, 03:58:49 PM »

Even the GT5 course designer is able to handle this simple task of auto generating the backgrounds and road textures.

We'll just have to agree to disagree on this.  I don't think that's how the GT5 course maker works.

So it's been done before.

We'll just have to agree to disagree here I think as well.

Wiz

• Tech
  • Administrator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #74 on: March 25, 2013, 03:07:40 PM »

This week we'll be in the 370Z racing around Blackwood GP.

I'll post downloads and details soon.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13   Go Up