SupaTunaGT

• May 09, 2024, 06:06:14 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Around here we're just FAST enough to have FUN.

Race FAST!  Race HARD!!  Race CLEAN!!!   Have FUN!!!!

Long line Tunas!!!

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Feedback on C7 Corvette Prototype  (Read 8902 times)

Wolfpack987

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Southern Bluefin Tuna
Re: Feedback on C7 Corvette Prototype
« Reply #45 on: December 06, 2012, 12:25:44 PM »

I'll admit that we're going way off topic here, but the 911 Turbo's handling has been pretty darn fool proof for a while now.  They have been AWD for almost 20 years at this point.  Plus that rear weight bias helps in braking and lets you get on the throttle faster when coming out of turns.  The GT3 and GT2 are RWD but are some of the best handling cars you can buy.

It's not your 1980's "widowmaker" anymore. :-X

PSN ID = dawson864

RickS95

• The Bored of Directors
  • Bigeye Tuna
« Reply #46 on: December 06, 2012, 01:55:35 PM »

There's more to a car than how it performs.  Corvettes v. Vipers is a perfect example.  Generally speaking the base Viper kicks the shit out of the base Corvette.  I think you could even argue that as rudimentary as Vipers are, they are considered more exotic than Corvettes because they aren't seen as much.  Doesn't matter, the American Dream is still a Corvette.

I feel the same way about Porsches and Ferraris.  Some Porsches outrun Ferraris but more people are going to stop and stare when they see a Testarossa than any other Porsche. 

I like Porsches, but I'll take any Ferrari over any Porsche any day, simply for the WOW factor. 

BakedTuna

• Administrator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #47 on: December 06, 2012, 04:14:55 PM »

Do you guys seriously believe that Ferrari makes anything that will tolerate track day abuse better than Porsche? I am never going to own either and wouldn't want one even if I had the kind of cash needed but I understand the merits of both brands. The modern Ferrari has gotten better on build quality and Porsche's handling on most of the recent 911's are not much worse than a mid engine car.

DudeTuna

• The Bored of Directors
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #48 on: December 06, 2012, 04:16:30 PM »

Do you guys seriously believe that Ferrari makes anything that will tolerate track day abuse better than Porsche? I am never going to own either and wouldn't want one even if I had the kind of cash needed but I understand the merits of both brands. The modern Ferrari has gotten better on build quality and Porsche's handling on most of the recent 911's are not much worse than a mid engine car.

It's funny you mention it. The owner of the dealer I work for had a Ferrari and it broke just sitting in his garage.  :lolz

RickS95

• The Bored of Directors
  • Bigeye Tuna
« Reply #49 on: December 06, 2012, 04:27:25 PM »

I may have missed the boat here because I didn't realize we were talking about racing or track days.  I was simply commenting on which car had the 'it' factor. 

My Z06 is almost 11 years old and has 9700 miles on it.  Not a scratch to be found, mint condition.  There's a guy who works at the tire place.  His Corvette is 35 years old.  He's down over a hundred horsepower and has tires thinner than my daily driver Infiniti.  In ANY race, I'd destroy him (in either car).  I told him I'd happily trade him straight up...both my cars for his old, antiquated Corvette.  He laughed at me.

Car ownership isn't all about performance. 

BakedTuna

• Administrator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #50 on: December 06, 2012, 04:50:50 PM »

I agree 100% Rick. But i was drawn in when someone mentioned the Porsche being more durable than its Italian counterpart and someone else seemed to scoff at that thought.

GoesTuna11

• The Bored of Directors
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #51 on: December 06, 2012, 06:23:06 PM »

I agree 100% Rick. But i was drawn in when someone mentioned the Porsche being more durable than its Italian counterpart and someone else seemed to scoff at that thought.

First this train of thought is way off topic.  My original point was that having your cars in a game is a form of advertising so keeping your cars out of a game that sell tens of millions of copies might not be a great idea.

I don't think that anyone scoffed at the idea that Porsche would be more durable.  I scoffed at the insinuation that you couldn't take a Ferrari or Aston to a track.  Which, at the time, sounded quite fanboyish to me.

DudeTuna

• The Bored of Directors
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #52 on: December 06, 2012, 07:26:19 PM »

I still say the C7 prototype is covered in bags. Sorry, gift wrapping paper.  ;D

BakedTuna

• Administrator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #53 on: December 06, 2012, 08:04:08 PM »

11 maybe scoff was the wrong word but you sarcastically refer to yourself as a moron at someones claim of the porsche being far more track worthy. Scoff was the best word I could think of when writing of it in a later post. I can see where the use of the word far three times in that phrase was probably a bit much though.

GoesTuna11

• The Bored of Directors
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #54 on: December 06, 2012, 08:36:34 PM »

11 maybe scoff was the wrong word but you sarcastically refer to yourself as a moron at someones claim of the porsche being far more track worthy. Scoff was the best word I could think of when writing of it in a later post. I can see where the use of the word far three times in that phrase was probably a bit much though.

No, scoff is a good word for what I was getting at.  You are just misinterpreting what I was scoffing at.  The post I was scoffing at was suggesting that it would be stupid to take your Ferrari or Aston to the track.  I think that's absurd.  That and the fact that the comment totally missed the point that I was getting at kind of pissed me off. It wasn't a question of what would be far more track worthy (which would be a matter of opinion).  If I'm buying a Aston, I'm not buying it for its legendary reliability or it's ability on the track.  but that wouldn't stop me from taking it to the track or having a blast doing so.

TheHotstepper

• Global Moderator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
  • HaTUNA Matata
    • Classic Car Weekly
« Reply #55 on: December 06, 2012, 08:40:43 PM »

I still say the C7 prototype is covered in bags. Sorry, gift wrapping paper.  ;D

I say "bodybag"

I'll admit that we're going way off topic here, but the 911 Turbo's handling has been pretty darn fool proof for a while now.  They have been AWD for almost 20 years at this point.  Plus that rear weight bias helps in braking and lets you get on the throttle faster when coming out of turns.  The GT3 and GT2 are RWD but are some of the best handling cars you can buy.

It's not your 1980's "widowmaker" anymore. :-X

Ah, I stand corrected. From the newest issue of Car and Driver on the old 911s: "The rear-engine layout wasn't the problem. It was the semi-trailing-arm rear suspension. When unloaded (lift-off) it caused the rear tires to shift from negative to positive camber and reduced the rear outside tire's toe-in" making it want to spin.

Who knew?

Wolfpack987

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Southern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #56 on: December 07, 2012, 07:20:40 AM »

No, scoff is a good word for what I was getting at.  You are just misinterpreting what I was scoffing at.  The post I was scoffing at was suggesting that it would be stupid to take your Ferrari or Aston to the track.  I think that's absurd.  That and the fact that the comment totally missed the point that I was getting at kind of pissed me off. It wasn't a question of what would be far more track worthy (which would be a matter of opinion).  If I'm buying a Aston, I'm not buying it for its legendary reliability or it's ability on the track.  but that wouldn't stop me from taking it to the track or having a blast doing so.

Hey now, I wasn't saying you couldn't take them to the track, I was just trying to say that, b/c the most tracky worthy sports maker wasn't in a video game you were going to not consider one?  I wasn't calling you an idiot. :-*

Also I respect and revere Porsche more than Ferrari or Aston because just about any mere mortal can afford one (albeit used).

PSN ID = dawson864

CharlieTuna

• Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #57 on: December 07, 2012, 10:45:59 AM »

"Off topic". In a Tuna thread?!  

We prefer to call it "tunafied" 
« Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 07:52:07 PM by CharlieTuna »

TunahCroonah

• The Bored of Directors
  • Bigeye Tuna
  • Yes, I run with scissors, and?
« Reply #58 on: December 07, 2012, 01:48:07 PM »

YEP, usually gets back to topic - eventually  :D

*For those who don't know: : + Tunafy  will get you:

also, also, weren't we talking about some baggy-assed corvette?  :laugh
« Last Edit: December 07, 2012, 01:52:44 PM by TunahCroonah »

LooneyTuna

• The Bored of Directors
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
  • One good turn deserves another. >-)))>
« Reply #59 on: December 21, 2012, 07:14:18 PM »

Dad is my co-pilot    Have you driven a 4rd lately?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Up