SupaTunaGT

• May 16, 2024, 06:19:00 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Coming Attractions?

Watch this space for new News as it develops, or...

Check out the "ONLINE EVENTS" thread...

Linked Events

• Leaf's RenaultSports Cup: May 01, 2013
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 36   Go Down

Author Topic: Renault Cup  (Read 20095 times)

Brindle

Re: Renault Cup
« Reply #420 on: June 14, 2013, 12:37:25 PM »

I think the key word is Turn-in and not Breaking zone.  Ever heard of the term
"out-break someone"?  Can't do that if you give up BEFORE a breaking zone.  I think one is allowed up until Turn-in to get the overtake needed.  If you don't, make sure you get out of the line, because it is NOT yours to take.

Ok, so first of all, I think it's interesting that there are some many interpretations of this. But what I think is common is that we all respect each other and try to avoid contact. So it still works.

Here's how I interpret this. If I'm trying to out-brake someone and I haven't gotten wheel to wheel with them beforehand, I see it as my duty to avoid contact. To me, these rules simply point out whose at fault. It's kind of like holding in football. Everyone does it, just don't get caught. So if I dive into a corner and try to overtake this way, it's my job to avoid contact. That might mean putting myself into the wall if I misjudged the braking distance (did that one last night, lol). If you pull it off and it's clean, you're a hero. If you make contact and punt the overtaken vehicle into the grandstands, well .... I would also expect that if you try to out-brake someone and don't do it cleanly that you give the position back to the car you hit, imho.

Everything you said is correct, with ONE exception.  You MUST know you can do it.  If you can't or have any doubts about doing it cleanly, don't do it, plain and simple.
I practice this stuff with only 2 other people, because I/they are comfortable with me punting them if i miss.  I DO NOT however go beyond my known limits with anyone else.  I still make mistakes, but I do not try risky moves to anyone but those 2.

Brindle

« Reply #421 on: June 14, 2013, 12:38:17 PM »

I seem to keep starting new pages every time I post.   ^-^

MX5#98

• SOLITARY Confinement
  • Southern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #422 on: June 14, 2013, 12:48:16 PM »

Everything you said is correct, with ONE exception.  You MUST know you can do it.  If you can't or have any doubts about doing it cleanly, don't do it, plain and simple.
I practice this stuff with only 2 other people, because I/they are comfortable with me punting them if i miss.  I DO NOT however go beyond my known limits with anyone else.  I still make mistakes, but I do not try risky moves to anyone but those 2.

I agree. I rarely try to out-brake someone. I only will try that when I know the car next to me has hit their braking point before I've hit mine. And mine is almost always further back from everyone else's (which is why I get hit from behind a lot). I'd rather concede you the corner, get on the gas earlier, draft you down the straight and pass cleanly due to having a higher corner exit speed and thus a higher top speed down the straight. Works like a charm with zero drama. But people seem to want to pass me mid corner a lot. Eventually I just pull over and let them by when I've had enough going two wide into the corners.
PSN ID: MX5_Racer_69
iRacing: Michael Schaefer2

Feldynn

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #423 on: June 14, 2013, 12:52:19 PM »

"Not visualising the equine bestowment via it's verbilisation aperture!"

"Every silver lining has a touch of grey.."

DudeTuna

• The Bored of Directors
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #424 on: June 14, 2013, 12:54:21 PM »

Post ho much?

DudeTuna

• The Bored of Directors
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #425 on: June 14, 2013, 12:54:35 PM »

paging.....

Feldynn

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #426 on: June 14, 2013, 12:58:27 PM »

Post ho much?

"Not visualising the equine bestowment via it's verbilisation aperture!"

"Every silver lining has a touch of grey.."

Brindle

« Reply #427 on: June 14, 2013, 01:00:09 PM »

Trying... 

Also, is that what you call a double post?

Wolfpack987

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Southern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #428 on: June 14, 2013, 01:06:05 PM »

Looks like a post and a hoe to me.  And that ho knows where to stick that pole, if ya know what I mean

95% of the time I'll only try to outbrake someone if I know for a fact they're on worn out tires and I'm on fresh tires.  And even then that only applies to certain situations, as some of you have probably learned that for a lot of turns I brake early to set up my lines.

PSN ID = dawson864

GoesTuna11

• The Bored of Directors
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #429 on: June 14, 2013, 01:16:28 PM »

I think the key word is Turn-in and not Breaking zone.  Ever heard of the term
"out-break someone"?  Can't do that if you give up BEFORE a breaking zone.  I think one is allowed up until Turn-in to get the overtake needed.  If you don't, make sure you get out of the line, because it is NOT yours to take.

Ok, so first of all, I think it's interesting that there are some many interpretations of this. But what I think is common is that we all respect each other and try to avoid contact. So it still works.

Here's how I interpret this. If I'm trying to out-brake someone and I haven't gotten wheel to wheel with them beforehand, I see it as my duty to avoid contact. To me, these rules simply point out whose at fault. It's kind of like holding in football. Everyone does it, just don't get caught. So if I dive into a corner and try to overtake this way, it's my job to avoid contact. That might mean putting myself into the wall if I misjudged the braking distance (did that one last night, lol). If you pull it off and it's clean, you're a hero. If you make contact and punt the overtaken vehicle into the grandstands, well .... I would also expect that if you try to out-brake someone and don't do it cleanly that you give the position back to the car you hit, imho.

Just to add to this.  If you are going for overlap before braking, you can always back out if it doesn't look like you are going to make it.  If you are going before turn in, you will hit a point of no return where you can't back out so you need to be pretty darn sure that you can make it.  If you do get overlap, both cars need to give the other space.  If you don't have overlap  before turn in, you can still make a pass, you just don't have any right to space and the other car has complete rights to their line.  Not many people can do that safely.  When it does, you go just happened?

AardvarkTuna

• Slender Tuna
« Reply #430 on: June 14, 2013, 01:16:44 PM »

Hey!

TheHotstepper

• Global Moderator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
  • HaTUNA Matata
    • Classic Car Weekly
« Reply #431 on: June 14, 2013, 01:44:47 PM »

Turbo-Tuna

• The Bored of Directors
  • Bigeye Tuna
« Reply #432 on: June 14, 2013, 01:56:01 PM »

Well my teammate Charlie got buzzed pretty good on Lap 19. But Turbo already explained that he got distracted.

Yeah, pure driver error there. Not a planned pass.

I think the key word is Turn-in and not Breaking zone.  Ever heard of the term
"out-break someone"?  Can't do that if you give up BEFORE a breaking zone.  I think one is allowed up until Turn-in to get the overtake needed.  If you don't, make sure you get out of the line, because it is NOT yours to take.

There is a difference between what people are Allowed to do, and what they Should do, based on respect and sportsmanship, Especially in Amateur sports/games/events.

I never Try to out brake anyone by some definitions. Even in a car with way better brakes/cornering, I only challenge if I have overlap before braking. Incidence contradictory of this are driver error - unintentional.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 01:58:36 PM by Turbo-Tuna »

GoesTuna11

• The Bored of Directors
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #433 on: June 15, 2013, 06:15:11 PM »

There has been some seriously good racing in the Rolex series the last couple of races.  You can have "highlight reel" races by racing within the rules.  You don't need to be banging into people.  The last two races also had plenty of examples of how not to drive.  One guy last week took out last years champion by not giving him space on corner exit and running him off the course.  Ironically, his teammate got taken out by running into the wreckage of the car he ran off the track.  From what I remember he had at least one other incident during that race.  So he got put on probation for the next couple of races.  So this week, on one of the early laps, he tries to dive bomb the same car.  To make a long story short, he ends up setting his car on fire and destroying it.  He has destroyed two of his own team's cars in as many weeks.  On one of the last laps, the 2nd place GT driver stuck his nose where it didn't belong and spun the 1rs place driver.  He got a penalty for that and admitted it was his fault after the race. 

Brindle

« Reply #434 on: June 16, 2013, 06:57:12 AM »

I caught the last 20 mins of yesterday's Rolex race.  I think the incident between the Vette and BMW is a perfect example to go with our discussion.  Myself, I think the Vette should not have tried to stick his nose in where he did, even though he was faster in that section (I know I would not have).  He should have set up on that corner instead for a pass next corner, instead of a pass where he tried.

Opinions on the incident?
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 36   Go Up