SupaTunaGT

• May 03, 2024, 09:16:20 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

On Tuesday Nights join TheHotstepper for "Tuneless Tuesdays" (TuTu for short)

Thursday Night is "A Touch of Class" night; sponsored by Feldynn...

Check out the Career in a Year Friday nights 9pm eastern

Pages: 1 ... 94 95 [96] 97 98 ... 155   Go Down

Author Topic: Seasonal Events  (Read 176954 times)

MasterGT

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
Re: Seasonal Events
« Reply #1425 on: July 18, 2013, 11:17:11 AM »

I'm not sure I am consistent enough to test this, but I'd be interested in the difference that SRF on vs off makes.

dlrws6

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Southern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #1426 on: July 18, 2013, 11:31:16 AM »

I'm not sure I am consistent enough to test this, but I'd be interested in the difference that SRF on vs off makes.

I suspect the impact would be different at each track but since I'm doing some parts testing on the side. I might could mess around and come up with some numbers at one or two tracks where I am fairly consistant.

EX_stream_tuna

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
    • GT6 Photomode Album @ Flikr.com
« Reply #1427 on: July 18, 2013, 11:59:05 AM »

in order for SRF to make you faster, don't you have to intentionally throw the car into slides?  I could see that helping, but you have to be good at that sort of thing.

in online races, though, noobs use SRF because it helps save them from mistakes.  so that's an entirely different type of advantage, I'd say.

Feldynn

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #1428 on: July 18, 2013, 12:40:48 PM »

It does depend a lot on the car and track, I remember doing some testing when the Seasonals first started having it forced on and had some interesting results but generally SRF is faster.  I think the first forced SRF was the World Compact Car seasonal a while back, I remember doing some testing with both that one and the Mazda MX-5 one that followed.

I think I used the Renault Megane 2.0 IDE Coupe (FF standard car) at World Compact Car specs and tested in Practice Mode at Autumn Ring, with SRF on the times were about 1.5-2.0 seconds faster than with SRF off.  I had the same results testing an MX-5 / Roadster (I forget which) at London for the other one.  The interesting thing thogh was the Indy Oval, for some reason SRF made almost no difference there, it was marginally faster but only by a couple tenths at best.

in order for SRF to make you faster, don't you have to intentionally throw the car into slides?  I could see that helping, but you have to be good at that sort of thing.

Sort of yes and sort of no, it does depend on the car you're driving but you can drive relatively normally once you get used to it's affect on the car.  At a basic level it's sort of like the difference between say Sports Hard and Sports Soft tires, do a couple of laps on Hards then switch to the Softs and you can immediately tell the difference in grip and can drive the car harder / faster.  The way I like to think of SRF working is that it's magically switching your tire compounds while you drive, so you start on Sports Hard but can push harder and carry more speed through and accelerate harder out of corners because it increases your grip to Soft compound levels if / when you start to slide.

It's really noticeable in FF cars as it reduces the understeer you should get especially on crappy tires, but it also helps FR and other rear drive cars also with understeer and a bit with oversteer so you can sort of throw all the cars around a more than you would without it.  It doesn't turn an ordinary car into an X2010 or 2J by any means but it does allow you to push harder/ drive faster.

"Not visualising the equine bestowment via it's verbilisation aperture!"

"Every silver lining has a touch of grey.."

EX_stream_tuna

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #1429 on: July 18, 2013, 02:04:04 PM »

okay thanks for that write-up, feld!

one thing I've wondered about, and would ilke to know if anyone every found out for sure, like from a statement from PD or something...

...is whether SRF is a new assist that PD is actually trying to market to manufacturers as a new form of safety mechanism.

anyone know?

GoesTuna11

• The Bored of Directors
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #1430 on: July 18, 2013, 02:54:03 PM »

one thing I've wondered about, and would ilke to know if anyone every found out for sure, like from a statement from PD or something...

...is whether SRF is a new assist that PD is actually trying to market to manufacturers as a new form of safety mechanism.

anyone know?

As I understand it, SRF is an artificial aid that defies the laws of physics.  Basically, as a tire loses grip, it becomes more grippy instead of less grippy.

ChromeTuna

• Global Moderator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
  • Chrome will get you home.
« Reply #1431 on: July 18, 2013, 04:07:57 PM »

anyone know?

As I understand it, SRF is an artificial aid that defies the laws of physics.  Basically, as a tire loses grip, it becomes more grippy instead of less grippy.

:stoopid:

As Feldynn stated, it basicly upgrades whatever tires you're on, up 1 or 2 levels. More likely the latter.
"Life is hard, when you're delicious."

MasterGT

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #1432 on: July 18, 2013, 06:29:00 PM »

Thanks for your SRF comments, guys. It is the only aid that I turn off in my lobbies so I don't have a lot of experience using it (not that I use all of the others, either :-* ), except in these Seasonals, of course.

ChromeTuna

• Global Moderator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #1433 on: July 25, 2013, 05:10:20 AM »

Time Trial
600PP Dodge Viper: Tokyo Route 246 Time Trial
    Period of Availability: 2013/07/24 23:00 - 2013/08/07 23:00
    Gold: Cr.250,000  Silver: Cr.150,000  Bronze: Cr.100,000 

This is a Time Trial on the Tokyo Route 246, using a Dodge Viper (non-racecars). Cars can be tuned up to 600PP and tires are limited to Sports/Hard or less.

Drift Trial
American Cars: Cape Ring North Course Drift Trial
    Period of Availability: 2013/07/24 23:00 - 2013/08/07 23:00
    Gold: Cr.250,000  Silver: Cr.150,000  Bronze: Cr.100,000 

This is a Drift Trial event using American cars on the Cape Ring North course. There are no restrictions on tuning, but tires are limited to Comfort/Soft or less.

Only one each!?  :-\

Turbo-Tuna

• The Bored of Directors
  • Bigeye Tuna
« Reply #1434 on: July 25, 2013, 05:45:50 AM »

I wish they gave PP bonuses for the seasonal TT. I grabbed a 550 PP ACR and forgot to tune it up to 600. Gold by 1.5 seconds (took me about 5 laps to get it clean). I guess the extra HP after 550 PP isn't really necessary. (I may have been at 1480kg)

EX_stream_tuna

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #1435 on: July 25, 2013, 07:13:17 AM »

yea, that is strange there's only one of each, but I bet participation was down recently due to Academy.  It certainly was easier to place higher in the rankings.

ChromeTuna

• Global Moderator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #1436 on: July 26, 2013, 08:12:58 AM »

Drift Trial
American Cars: Cape Ring North Course Drift Trial

After numerous runs, I posted a 11,000+ score(ranked low 300s), with room to add to it, but will be tough to do so. I've gotten 3000+ in the 1rd sector, 2000+ in the middle two each, and 5000+ in the last one, but never all in the same run.  :P

EX_stream_tuna

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #1437 on: July 26, 2013, 08:33:24 AM »

In other news, Enyo_Grill is no longer the top Canadian time trialist as far as consistency.

He's got to beat Forza_Ferrari in the current and future TT's to get the top spot back.

YOU CAN DO IT!

I moved up from 104th in the US to 84th with the last set of TT's. I know there's no prizes, but it's fun to try and see if I can keep climbing...

Feldynn

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #1438 on: July 26, 2013, 09:59:29 AM »

I figured I'd check the official website to see what the top car was for the Drift Trial, to my surprise I discovered PD has now limited Drift Trials to FR, RR and MR cars only!  No more butt-dragging FF cars on the top of the leaderboard now, huzzah.. though I also noticed they've excluded 4WD cars too :(.

Can't win them all I guess, but at least the removal of FF is a good thing even if it does have a price tag :).

"Not visualising the equine bestowment via it's verbilisation aperture!"

"Every silver lining has a touch of grey.."

DudeTuna

• The Bored of Directors
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #1439 on: July 26, 2013, 11:24:49 AM »

I figured I'd check the official website to see what the top car was for the Drift Trial, to my surprise I discovered PD has now limited Drift Trials to FR, RR and MR cars only!  No more butt-dragging FF cars on the top of the leaderboard now, huzzah.. though I also noticed they've excluded 4WD cars too :(.

Can't win them all I guess, but at least the removal of FF is a good thing even if it does have a price tag :).

But, but I like to drive my ff cars in reverse....   :'(
Pages: 1 ... 94 95 [96] 97 98 ... 155   Go Up