SupaTunaGT

• May 03, 2024, 09:26:49 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

On Tuesday Nights join TheHotstepper for "Tuneless Tuesdays" (TuTu for short)

Thursday Night is "A Touch of Class" night; sponsored by Feldynn...

Check out the Career in a Year Friday nights 9pm eastern

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Logitech Wireless Steering Wheel  (Read 1171 times)

CharlieTuna

• Northern Bluefin Tuna
Logitech Wireless Steering Wheel
« on: December 12, 2012, 06:00:40 PM »

Does anyone have one of these, or know someone who has one?  If so, does it work with GT5?  (I've gotten mixed reviews from the interwebz.  Some folks say it doesn't work and others say it works fine.  However, not knowing any of them I don't know which info to trust.)

I have a very good friend who is a paraplegic.  He recently got himself a PS3 and I would like to race with him.  I thought a wheel would make a nice combo Christmas/birthday present for him.   In reading about the wheel it seems like a great solution because it has no pedals but it has throttle brake controls near the wheel; kinda like his car.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Boston77Bruins

• The Bored of Directors
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
  • BLEEDS BLACK AND GOLD
Re: Logitech Wireless Steering Wheel
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2012, 11:56:24 PM »

I'm sorry Charlie, I wish I had an answer.  I too, have 2 friends who are paracapable.   I have wanted for years to race these guys.  That is how they became paracapable, is an awful dirt accident.  I know they crave speed, and goos times.  Ive wanted an answer for years. 

One of my friends has use of his legs in some respect.  He is allowed to drive a car.   My other friend has not been so lucky.  Even though they had the exact same spinal injury, they are totally different in how they live each day.  I know they crave the fast bug.  I want to give it to them.

As Charlie stated, any tips would be of great help.

CharlieTuna

• Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2012, 07:51:32 AM »

Can't read them at work.  Can you give me an overview?

Does it work?  Should I get him one?

But thanks Croonah.  I can read them when I get home this evening.

CharlieTuna

• Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2012, 07:56:24 AM »

Geez.  I must have real dirty glasses - or need an eye exam...  (Ain't had one in over 15years)

Would've sworn I read "Croonah" as the poster.

Thanks Wiz!!!!!!!!  I will check them tonight. 

Wiz

• Tech
  • Administrator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2012, 08:06:06 AM »

Can't read them at work.  Can you give me an overview?

Reviews are pretty positive for what it is.  

One guy on GTP says it's a little too sensitive to steering input.

The most common flaw mentioned is instability in your lap.

The guy in the ISR review video mentions that it's a fantastic option for paraplegics.

Does it work?  Should I get him one?

From what I can tell, yes, it seems to work pretty good and sounds like it would be a perfect option for your friend.  

But thanks

No problem.  :)

TunahCroonah

• The Bored of Directors
  • Bigeye Tuna
  • Yes, I run with scissors, and?
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2012, 10:17:14 AM »

Just my take on this product:

After watching the video review, I felt that the reporter had some subjective views about several things.

First, one cannot expect to have the stability of a mounted wheel while it is in a transient situation such as a lap, particularly when considering that one's hands are torquing the wheel around. 

Second, the paddles for the wheel's speed and brake controls are similar to a hand controller and for some individuals, is a plus, not a negative.

Third, The amount of force feedback should be less, as it sits on one's lap and controlling the wheel would be more difficult to maneuver and perhaps more of a distraction than a benefit.  While the force feedback is nice, it is not necessarily a plus for paraplegics, but perhaps should be considered a deficit.  Not withstanding, I'm sure that Logitech has a way adjusting/turning off the FF in the games as it does with other types of wheels.

If I were to rate the wheel overall, in consideration of its use for special needs persons, I'd give it a score of 86. 

Since the reporter did mention the fact that it could be advantageously used by paraplegics, he should have taken those considerations into account in his interview prior to putting a score of under 80 to the wheel.  As far as applications are concerned, I would definitely recommend it to those who have mobility disabilities, particularly due to it's plug and play and mobility advantages.

TunahCroonah

CharlieTuna

• Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2012, 10:30:49 AM »

Thanks guys!!!

Off to the AMAZON...

MasterGT

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2012, 08:53:56 PM »

Another option is the Move Wheel. I don't know how good it is yet, but I may get one soon.

It may also have some additional advantages because the Move will give the players some additional abilities/functions/games to use.

Pages: [1]   Go Up