Gran Turismo > General Gran Turismo

Racing Equipment

(1/90) > >>

LastLeafFan:
I know Feldynn just got a new wheel and I thought it would be nice to just see what everyone is using. It always amazes me that anyone can be competitive using a controller.

I started with the DFGT and then moved up to a G25 but soon after picked up the Fanatec CSR wheel and the Clubsport pedals.

I built my own rig out of PVC pipe and find it really stable. I know I'm not one of the fastest around these waters but that isn't the equipment  

I love my rig and should be good for a while now.

Here is my setup.

dlrws6:
I use a controler.  After 20 years of gaming and virtual racing, nothing else feels right. 

Although I do have a G25 and a wheel stand pro boxed up in a spare room that I drag out as a novelty now and then.  Problem I have with it is that it does not feel natural to use in the game and it does not feel real enough to match a real world driving experience.  It's just kinda some where in between that just feels weird to me.

I also disagree with any one that says I can't be as accurate with a controler. Based on all my tests and attempts, I can.   

ChromeTuna:
Controller user here too. I had a DFGT for about 3 months, and just didn't care for it. Sold the wheel and went back to using a controller.

EX_stream_tuna:
eh, it's a personal choice.  I find I like a wheel much better, but it's a choice.

Leaf, your seat alone has me jealous.  I need to set something like that up for sure!

Do you by any chance have the plans drawn up for that rig?  And, what kind of seat is that?

TunaPhreak:
Can't play this game on a controller anymore.  Played GT4 and everything prior on a controller, and one day bought the DF Pro.  After a long learning curve (boy were my times SLOW on the wheel at first!) I've stayed with a wheel since.  I've only ever played GT5 with a wheel (I've used controller here and there when I don't feel like setting up the driving rig, but never could survive in a race environment).  Upgraded to a DFGT down the line thanks to craigslist, and have been using that since.

When I first started out, the wheel was mounted to a snack tray like everyone else.  Wobble and slide galore.  My first stability attempt involved strapping weights to the snack tray.  Minor improvement.  Next upgrade was a chair, a box, a shelf, and a bunch of free weights and twine.  Basically I made a little weighted diving board to mount the wheel to.  This helped greatly with the stability of the wheel, but in either situation I found sitting that high/upright was very unnatural with the pedals, and I'd wind up floating my feet over them and pressing more down like a truck driver than forward like a race car driver, plus I'd get shin cramps/splints eventually.

Next setup was much better but still not permanent.  Used a massage chair (in the pics below) that was much closer to the ground to sit in.  Put a kitchen chair on either side of me, and put a shelf across the seats.  Weigh down the ends of the shelf on the seats and it was pretty decent.  PITA to setup, break down, move, get in, get out; but held the wheel *fairly* stable and seating position/pedals were much much better.  No more leg pain!

Now that I was in a more natural position, I was racing a lot more often, and the effort involved in this setup took it's toll.  I decided it was time to ditch the chairs and weights and shelves and actually build a rig to hold the wheel that would be somewhat collapsible.  Searched around a few different forums for ideas and plans, went to home depot, and built what you see below.  Made using hand tools and a dremel, I spent about $45 at home depot for all materials including a hand saw and miter block combo for $15 (one of the best moves I did that day was buying that saw & miter block!)  Prior to that, my other option was a hack saw.

Now that I was racing more and more constantly, I found out that lack of lower back support in the massage chair was taking it's toll on, well, my lower back.  One morning I woke up so stiff and sore I could barely move my torso at all.  That has now been replaced with an Audio X Rocker I had sitting around doing nothing.  I stuff some bumpers under the rear to prevent it from actually rocking and I'm set.  It's a real comfy chair (although I admit I do still use a lumbar pillow on it when racing), has pretty decent audio if you want to pump through it, and is a great chair for other gaming when I'm not using the wheel.

So yeah, bet you didn't expect such a long answer to "what everyone else is using" but that's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version