SupaTunaGT

• April 28, 2024, 07:23:12 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Around here we're just FAST enough to have FUN.

Race FAST!  Race HARD!!  Race CLEAN!!!   Have FUN!!!!

Long line Tunas!!!

Linked Events

• GT-S Laguna Seca 200 : March 02, 2012
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: 200 miles of Laguna Seca (Complete)  (Read 7612 times)

EX_stream_tuna

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
    • GT6 Photomode Album @ Flikr.com
Re: 200 miles of Laguna Seca
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2012, 10:42:35 AM »

I hope that wasn't directed at me, because that would be pretty innappropriate for suggesting something innocently as "just a thought"... that is usually followed up by "not trying to tell you how to run your event' but I didn't think anyone here would be that sensitive...

I think all you needed to say was "guys, I really want to make a challenging event so this may not be for some of you" and I don't think anyone would hate you for that.

To the others, I think they could have not criticized so much either.  If you like the format, fine.  If not, then that's fine too.

I wholeheartedly agree with you by the way.  I typically run in very difficult situations as much as possible in order to get that seat time.  And when you have some crazy fast guys to learn from, you take that knowledge to every track, every car you drive in the rest of your gaming days...

RickS95

• The Bored of Directors
  • Bigeye Tuna
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2012, 10:57:54 AM »

I hope that wasn't directed at me, because that would be pretty innappropriate for suggesting something innocently as "just a thought"... that is usually followed up by "not trying to tell you how to run your event' but I didn't think anyone here would be that sensitive...

I think all you needed to say was "guys, I really want to make a challenging event so this may not be for some of you" and I don't think anyone would hate you for that.

To the others, I think they could have not criticized so much either.  If you like the format, fine.  If not, then that's fine too.

I wholeheartedly agree with you by the way.  I typically run in very difficult situations as much as possible in order to get that seat time.  And when you have some crazy fast guys to learn from, you take that knowledge to every track, every car you drive in the rest of your gaming days...

Pretty sure it was directed at me, Xbox, you were just collateral damage.  Let me give a little history to explain my comment.

Back in the day, I used to run the time trials here.  As we approached the release of GT5, we ran 6 or 8 time trials in Prologue.  The intent was for the guys to have some friendly competition, and also to improve their game, as we always had guest commentary from the fast guys. 

What I found was that most of the guys here like the easy cars and shied away from and even bitched about the harder cars to drive (the 599 on S2 tires didn't go over too well, though it was a helluva lot of fun to smoke the tires with even the slightest input of throttle).  I have thick skin so the complaining never bothered me, hell, I even bitched about a couple of the cars and I chose the damned things.

So, I made a mental note...the philosophy here is to have fun and if improvement is a byproduct, that's great.  The philosophy isn't to improve with having fun as a byproduct.

Guys have come and gone and done their own events.  Any time I see or hear chatter about the difficulty of the track or car, I usually relay what I learned.  Could I have said things in a different way--probably.  If I had known it was going to cause ruffle feathers, would I have changed the way I said it--probably not. 

I hope the event is a success.  My only point was to bring up what I've found out over the years.

BakedTuna

• Administrator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2012, 11:08:55 AM »

Personal opinion is that many if not all the guys here are capable of running this event myself included. Having said that when you get to the upper ranges less consistent laps are more common which leads to a more spread out field. This is true for all drivers real or cyber, pro or amateur, the margin for error gets smaller the faster the car. Over 200 miles that facet of the race is more accentuated.

For me wheel to wheel is much more exciting and enjoyable. So in some way I guess Rick is right at least about me, fun is most important. I dont mind a challenge but it better be fun.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 11:26:45 AM by BakedTuna »

Wolfpack987

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Southern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2012, 12:02:16 PM »

I hope Ronin didn't take any offense to my comment about the track!  While I might not be in love with that circuit, I most certainly appreciate Ronin setting up and hosting events of any sort :D

PSN ID = dawson864

ChromeTuna

• Global Moderator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
  • Chrome will get you home.
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2012, 01:07:24 PM »

So, I made a mental note...the philosophy here is to have fun and if improvement is a byproduct, that's great.
I hope the event is a success.

That has always been my frame of mind. Rick, you're a smart feller.  :)

Indeed.
"Life is hard, when you're delicious."

TunaPhreak

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Atlantic Bluefin Tuna
  • Do or do not, there is no try.
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2012, 01:13:38 PM »

After that race I went looking for the car for the Tuna Dinner races and could not find it so instead I stopped by a friends lounge. This guy makes Brindle and Wizard look slow and sloppy just to give you guys an idea on how fast this guy is.

WHAT??
Race smarter, not harder!
http://www.mygranturismo.net/26145
My PSN is PsychoPhreak, not TunaPhreak. You can tune a car but you can't TunaPhreak!

EX_stream_tuna

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
    • GT6 Photomode Album @ Flikr.com
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2012, 02:15:07 PM »

I feel I can agree with both points of view... there are times to make things really difficult so you are better in certain situations, and there are times when having a close field and using cars that are more easily managed is better.

I could not do one or the other all the time.

Heck I was the only one who tried to get close to Gar's time in an X2011 at Kart Space, and I'm happy with the fact that I was within .8 seconds of it...

at the same rate, I sometimes ocmplain about comfort tires in time trials and tutu...

DesertSniper72

• The Bored of Directors
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
  • Front Towards Enemy
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2012, 02:32:25 PM »

Holy hypocrites Batman!!

First, I’m concerned about your arm Ronin, you didn’t break it patting yourself on the back wile regaling us with your improvement with the F2007 and Spa did you? Also, color me impressed with you ability to jump out of a Capo and into said F1 car. Your skills are beyond reproach. I’m at my seats edge waiting for the tale of going from a Lupo cup car to an LMP monster.

Seriously, I think you took the comments of some, or just Rick, whatever the case may be, and blew them out of proportion. It is not uncommon for others to make suggestions to those proposing an event as to ways it might be made better or more fun for a larger audience. Why even you are guilty of this, yes? Shake your head yes.

I would think an event planner would welcome comments, criticisms and suggestions, even Rick’s, and use them to enhance the experience of their event as opposed to viewing those comment as a personal attack or telling you “how to run your event.” I mean the idea is to have people show up right? Shake your head yes.

I hope your event is successful; I really do, but I find it a little hypocritical of you to blow a gasket over some of the comments regarding your event.

LooneyTuna

• The Bored of Directors
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
  • One good turn deserves another. >-)))>
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2012, 02:46:05 PM »

Seriously, I think you took the comments of some, or just Rick, whatever the case may be, and blew them out of proportion. It is not uncommon for others to make suggestions to those proposing an event as to ways it might be made better or more fun for a larger audience.

I would think an event planner would welcome comments, criticisms and suggestions, even Rick’s, and use them to enhance the experience of their event as opposed to viewing those comment as a personal attack or telling you “how to run your event.” I mean the idea is to have people show up right?

I hope your event is successful; I really do, but I find it a little hypocritical of you to blow a gasket over some of the comments regarding your event.

:stoopid:
Dad is my co-pilot    Have you driven a 4rd lately?

RickS95

• The Bored of Directors
  • Bigeye Tuna
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2012, 02:59:25 PM »

Some of you guys, you're...you're just too kind. 

Seriously Ronin, everyone wants your event to do well, but like Sniper said, you've got to have an audience.  I'd love to host my own evnet, but I know people don't want to race Corvettes at DRC...EVERY...SINGLE...TIME like I do. 

CharlieTuna

• Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2012, 11:19:52 PM »

:movie

I'm in.  But I still need to pick a car -- I don't think my iTalian sTallion liked me very much last time out...

Do I like the track?  :no

Do I like getting lapped?   not particularily but in truth I am used to it.

Then why do I do this?   i think i've improved a little in recent months but i still want moar.

Brindle

« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2012, 06:36:50 AM »

Then why do I do this?   i think i've improved a little in recent months but i still want moar.

You most certainly have and it hasn't gone unnoticed.  Great job!!! 

Feldynn

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2012, 07:35:21 AM »

Pencil me in for the "Viper GTS-R Team Oreca Race Car #51" please, hopefully this time I won't get disco'd 10 laps in :).

"Not visualising the equine bestowment via it's verbilisation aperture!"

"Every silver lining has a touch of grey.."

BadBoots

• Yellowfin Tuna
« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2012, 08:19:45 AM »

I'm down for this. Z06 RM #77 for me Thanks
:dj :bass :guitar :jams :rocks :iwtband :fiesta

Metal

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Atlantic Bluefin Tuna
  • LeMans & F1 :P
    • HUGS Gaming Community
« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2012, 09:22:37 PM »

I'm in.  But I still need to pick a car -- I don't think my iTalian sTallion liked me very much last time out...

Do I like the track? 

Do I like getting lapped?   not particularily but in truth I am used to it.

you can hop into the dusty old LR garage with boots and i in the RM z06 if ya want. we play nice :)

Is this thing on?
my gt profile: http://www.mygranturismo.net/33187
Youtube Channel: http://youtube.com/powermettle1520
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up