• April 28, 2024, 03:28:14 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to our new HOME!!!

These ARE the TUNAs you seek...

CHECK OUT our site, BECOME a member, JOIN our "EVNETS", and RACE with us...

Linked Events

• Petty's Daytona 500: July 07, 2012
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Daytona 500 ('70 Nascar)  (Read 4182 times)

CharlieTuna

• Northern Bluefin Tuna
Re: Daytona 500 ('70 Nascar)
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2012, 02:42:26 PM »

Then I hate to say it Boston but you will be missing some damn goos times...   C'est la vie...   (That's French )

RBE - the "rubberband effect"  (it's called BOOST, and is separate from Slipstream/Draft) is not a spec for the race.  At least I didn't see it listed in the specs.

I did see full slipstream was set but in practice it wasn't even necessary (and so we didn't run it at all on Wednesday night) - as such I would recommend turning it off for the race - it wasn't needed.  If you lose the Draft, you should get fucked -- take this from someone who understands all to well that it means never catching back up...

What I did see on Wednesday night was some hella goos times!!!

The birds run in a flock very well together.  We ran 20 lap races for most of the evening but kicked it up to 60 later in the evening when arrivals/departures had waned a bit.  We ran at least two 60 lap races -- given the number of 20 lap races as well - we put in well over the 200laps/500miles scheduled for the evnet, and my ass was still quite sittable without discomfort.  As a matter of fact the only physical problems for me was my braking leg falling asleep for lack of movement.

Laps were in the 43-42s in the draft - with low 44s, high 43s in free air for ME.  I was seeing 208-210 on corner entry in free air and exiting in the high 190s (occassionally 201mph).  With a longer draft run (regular slipstream) I would see 235-245mph in the straights - translating to +10mph or more on corner exit/exit.  I could push folks around the track at 215-218mph.  

The 'Bird likes the middle line through the corners.  Lower line seems more manageable but wears your tires much more.  High line carries more speed but will also carry you up to the velcro walls - which will help you lose the draft; not advisable when at the Uber SPeedway/

Also also, I'd recommend planning your pits for optimum pit crew speed as it is easy to get down a lap when pitting.  What I found worked was getting 20-22 liters of gas each pit, just slightly longer (1.5-2 seconds slower than my slowest tires changer) than pitting and getting no gas.  If you wait too long for gas-up it can cost you more than one lap down.  But do remember gas...  In one race we had three people run out of gas the last lap - the estimates from the pit crew were wrong.   Also pit with a buddy when possible - drafting/momentum is what Daytuna Uber Speeedway is all about.

If you skip this race, you are definitely missing out on a GOOS TIME.  (I even scheduled a crap drive-in because there was not reason to waste a good flic when the best racing was probably going to be the enduro.)

Boston, If you'd care to host the Drive-In tonight for me - I'd be more than happy to take a slot in the DayTuna Petty-file 500.  I was really enjoying my flippin'  'Bird on Wednesday night.

RickS95

• The Bored of Directors
  • Bigeye Tuna
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2012, 02:55:19 PM »

Then I hate to say it Boston but you will be missing some damn goos times...   C'est la vie...   (That's French )

Laps were in the 43-42s in the draft - with low 44s, high 43s in free air for ME.  I was seeing 208-210 on corner entry in free air and exiting in the high 190s (occassionally 201mph).  With a longer draft run (regular slipstream) I would see 235-245mph in the straights - translating to +10mph or more on corner exit/exit.  I could push folks around the track at 215-218mph.  

Chuck...which tires did you see those lap times with?  I ran all night with racing hards, and did pretty well, but never sniffed those times in clean air. 

CharlieTuna

• Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2012, 04:24:18 PM »

Racing softs = 43-44      <-  mostly mid-43s
Racing Mediums = easy 45s   <- low-mid
Racing Hard = 45-46       <- mostly mid-45s

All free air times...   43-44 in draft on racing hards - mostly mid-43s  (I saw one 42.8 with a long draft run on the back stretch)

The day after the drive-in practice, with some suspension changes, I was getting 10-11 laps pretty easily from racing softs.

Also on Wednesday I noticed that folks on Mediums were pitting at 12 laps and ones on Hards were pitting at 13 safely or 14 with luck  (except Rick, I think you managed to do 16 on your racing hards one race, or I thought I heard someone say that...)

« Last Edit: July 07, 2012, 04:56:44 PM by CharlieTuna »

RickS95

• The Bored of Directors
  • Bigeye Tuna
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2012, 05:39:11 PM »

I ran however many races the other night and all but four laps were on racing hards.  For the final four laps of my final race, I ran softs.  Kind of hard to compare 4 laps to some 100 or so on hards, but my lap times were all about the same...44.6 was my best lap that was not aided by the draft and I did that on both hards and softs. 

If I ran all out on every lap, I could get 14 or 15 laps on hards and if I sat back and let everyone else pull me around, I'm not convinced I couldn't get 20 laps out of hards, but I pitted after 16 and 17 because after the pack pits, you're somewhat forced to run all out.

Any guess as to the number of cars we can expect to see tonight?

RickS95

• The Bored of Directors
  • Bigeye Tuna
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2012, 05:56:01 PM »

"An error has occurred in the lobby server [268]"

Can't get into the lobby, looks like I'm out.

Boston77Bruins

• The Bored of Directors
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
  • BLEEDS BLACK AND GOLD
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2012, 07:00:23 PM »

RBE - the "rubberband effect"  (it's called BOOST, and is separate from Slipstream/Draft) is not a spec for the race.  At least I didn't see it listed in the specs.

I did see full slipstream was set but in practice it wasn't even necessary (and so we didn't run it at all on Wednesday night) - as such I would recommend turning it off for the race - it wasn't needed.  If you lose the Draft, you should get fucked -- take this from someone who understands all to well that it means never catching back up...

What I did see on Wednesday night was some hella goos times!!!

The birds run in a flock very well together.  We ran 20 lap races for most of the evening but kicked it up to 60 later in the evening when arrivals/departures had waned a bit.  We ran at least two 60 lap races -- given the number of 20 lap races as well - we put in well over the 200laps/500miles scheduled for the evnet, and my ass was still quite sittable without discomfort.  As a matter of fact the only physical problems for me was my braking leg falling asleep for lack of movement.

The 'Bird likes the middle line through the corners.  Lower line seems more manageable but wears your tires much more.  High line carries more speed but will also carry you up to the velcro walls - which will help you lose the draft; not advisable when at the Uber SPeedway/

Also also, I'd recommend planning your pits for optimum pit crew speed as it is easy to get down a lap when pitting.  What I found worked was getting 20-22 liters of gas each pit, just slightly longer (1.5-2 seconds slower than my slowest tires changer) than pitting and getting no gas.  If you wait too long for gas-up it can cost you more than one lap down.  But do remember gas...  In one race we had three people run out of gas the last lap - the estimates from the pit crew were wrong.   Also pit with a buddy when possible - drafting/momentum is what Daytuna Uber Speeedway is all about.

If you skip this race, you are definitely missing out on a GOOS TIME.  (I even scheduled a crap drive-in because there was not reason to waste a good flic when the best racing was probably going to be the enduro.)

Boston, If you'd care to host the Drive-In tonight for me - I'd be more than happy to take a slot in the DayTuna Petty-file 500.  I was really enjoying my flippin'  'Bird on Wednesday night.
[/color]

Oh well.

Whatever it's called, I asked about it on page one and got a confirmatory "Yes" from Ronin.  So, I'm confused and will stop putting my nose in things I don't plan on even running.  Matter of fact, I'll just shut the fuck up.

No thanks Charlie on hosting.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2012, 07:05:28 PM by Boston77Bruins »

RoninTuna

• Bigeye Tuna
  • Katana o motte
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2012, 07:41:28 PM »

We ended up cutting the race in half due to limited field

Finishing order

Chrome_Tuna
RickS95 - -0.071
Enyo_Grill - -0.112
Snakegt40 - -1.576
Tuna_Tank - DNF lap 92
Ronin_Tuna - DNF lap 87

I survived the Great PSN outage of 2011

CharlieTuna

• Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2012, 07:47:07 PM »

Didn't mean to offend.  I just was trying to drum up business. 

(And I know, like me, you like DSS.)

RickS95

• The Bored of Directors
  • Bigeye Tuna
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2012, 08:05:58 PM »

Despite turning left for over an hour, this was mostly fun and I could probably be persuaded to do it again for twice as long.  My strategy was mostly perfect, but like in real life, sometimes shit happens.  The first caution helped and good thing, because I started it.  I pitted after 20 laps and assumed things would be similar over the next 20.  Not so much.

During the first 20 laps, the draft helped.  After that first pit however, I mostly ran by myself and that used more tire and more fuel.  I was running on threads on lap 39 and decided to push it because the back right wasn't red yet.  That was a mistake because in between turn 1 and 2 the tire just gave way.  It was harsh just getting back to the pits.

However, with the caution, we ran several laps at low speed and I didn't have to pit again until after 63 laps.  I figured even if I ran by myself, I could get by with just one more pit.  Sadly, I didn't figure fuel consumption well enough and had to pit after 79 laps with plenty of tire for several more laps.

Even then I wasn't sure I had enough fuel, but thought if I could find a partner, I could ride him like a cheap whore and get 21 laps out of the tires and the fuel.  Enyo (in second place) had to pit one more time and I didn't think I had to, especially when Tank turned out to be the cheap whore I was looking for.

Approaching the start/finish to conclude 91 laps, I had plenty of tire, a quarter tank of gas, and a 35 second lead.  Then Tuna_Tank died in a crash and I couldn't get out of the way.  During my spin into pit row, I hit the wall and got a sweet drive through.  So I got to try it all again.

My lead was gone and I came out of the pits with Enyo, Snake and Chrome (Ronin got discoed and Tank hit the wrong button and left the room).  So it was a sprint to the finish and my strategy was for nothing.  I now know what the Andretti's feel like.

Regardless, it was goos times.

ChromeTuna

• Global Moderator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
  • Chrome will get you home.
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2012, 08:31:29 PM »

Looks like painting my Bird, Vulture Black paid off, as I was able to benefit from other's misfortunes. I ran at the back most of the time, and had the final 10 laps or so finished under green, the result would've been much different. But once again I was able to swoop down on some roadkill, and work it to my advantage. With the short sprint to the finish, I was able to circle my victims, until the time was right to dive in.

Thanks for the fun racing guys, it was a roller coaster ride, for sure.  :)
"Life is hard, when you're delicious."

Grilled Tuna

• Yellowfin Tuna
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2012, 11:16:51 PM »

decided i should finally post something. had a blast at the Daytuna 250 and the practice earlier in the week. definitely willing to participate in the 500 if my schedule allows which is typically open. the more the merrier especially at a 200lap circle track. :)
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up