SupaTunaGT

• April 26, 2024, 05:32:19 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Around here we're just FAST enough to have FUN.

Race FAST!  Race HARD!!  Race CLEAN!!!   Have FUN!!!!

Long line Tunas!!!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: When off the pace  (Read 2635 times)

LooneyTuna

• The Bored of Directors
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
  • One good turn deserves another. >-)))>
When off the pace
« on: March 05, 2012, 08:02:38 AM »

When you are more than a lap down should you let everyone by or give them a challenge? I usually put up as much of a fight as I can and then let them by if they are still riding my bumper for a lap or so.
Dad is my co-pilot    Have you driven a 4rd lately?

BakedTuna

• Administrator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
Re: When off the pace
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2012, 09:01:37 AM »

When you are more than a lap down should you let everyone by or give them a challenge? I usually put up as much of a fight as I can and then let them by if they are still riding my bumper for a lap or so.

Several determining factors. Starting with are they alone or racing for position with someone if the latter is the case I try to give a wide berth. Am I a lap down due to lack of speed or was there an incident that put me back there? Is it a points race or drop in? Sometimes if there is enough time to contemplate such things maybe even thinking back on the way this racer has ran me and others as well :-)

ChromeTuna

• Global Moderator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
  • Chrome will get you home.
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2012, 09:07:36 AM »

If I'm a lap down, with no chance of getting it back, I put up no fight whatsoever. The last thing I want to do is ruin a guy's race, when I have no chance.
"Life is hard, when you're delicious."

DesertSniper72

• The Bored of Directors
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
  • Front Towards Enemy
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2012, 09:52:37 AM »

If I'm a lap down, with no chance of getting it back, I put up no fight whatsoever. The last thing I want to do is ruin a guy's race, when I have no chance.

:stoopid:

If it's just for fun and the guy on my bumper is alone then I may make them earn the pass. It just depends on the circumstances and my mood. If it's for points or they have the 2th place car on their bumper, I move aside and let them battle it out. I know, if the positions were reversed I would like the same courtesy. Nothing worse than having your race affected by a lapped car who's feeling racy.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 09:59:51 AM by DesertSniper72 »

LooneyTuna

• The Bored of Directors
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
  • One good turn deserves another. >-)))>
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2012, 09:53:47 AM »

That is always my concern. However, I can't get any better at racing with people if I always step aside. But like Baked said, I'll let the race situation dictate what happens.
Dad is my co-pilot    Have you driven a 4rd lately?

ChromeTuna

• Global Moderator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
  • Chrome will get you home.
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2012, 10:25:47 AM »

If it's just for fun and the guy on my bumper is alone then I may make them earn the pass. It just depends on the circumstances and my mood. If it's for points or they have the 2th place car on their bumper, I move aside and let them battle it out. I know, if the positions were reversed I would like the same courtesy. Nothing worse than having your race affected by a lapped car who's feeling racy.

I was thinking points racing, but yeah, if it's just racing for fun, I might try to mix it up a little.
"Life is hard, when you're delicious."

RoninTuna

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Bigeye Tuna
  • Katana o motte
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2012, 10:26:45 AM »

The way I look at it, When all cars are equal, Lead lap cars have line priority. As long as you are on the lead lap you are free to battle including battle to stay on the lead lap. Once overtaken by the leader one should yield to lead lap cars.

With multi class racing, the lesser class cars have line priority meaning the faster cars have to go around the lesser cars. Same as it was in Brindles series.

I survived the Great PSN outage of 2011

GoesTuna11

• The Bored of Directors
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2012, 11:29:35 AM »

Almost no matter what the circumstance, if you are being lapped (whether you are on the lead lap or not), you should not be making defensive moves to put up a challenge.  You shouldn't be taking defensive lines in corners.  You shouldn't be changing lines on straightaways.  The rest probably depends on the situation.  In most situations you should give up position easier.  For instance, if the other driver gains sufficient overlap before a corner, you should give up the corner rather than going in side by side.  Always drive predictably.  Doing something drastic to let someone pass can do more harm than good.  If you are obviously slower than the person behind you it shouldn't take much to let them pass.

Wiz

• Tech
  • Administrator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2012, 11:41:44 AM »

Depends...

If it's Fried, I'll make him work for it.

If it's anyone else, I'll let them by.

RickS95

• The Bored of Directors
  • Bigeye Tuna
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2012, 11:48:46 AM »

Can't answer that, I've never been off the pace.  I'm sure it's going to happen one of these days, so I'm reading all the posts so I can know how to handle it, but up til now, it's not something I'd have to deal with.   :laugh

BakedTuna

• Administrator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2012, 11:53:43 AM »

Wanted to be clear I would not take a defensive line as a lapped car but this does not mean I will piull over either. Very gray area with several unique circumstances probably nearly every time it happens. Tough to give a text book answer.

RickS95

• The Bored of Directors
  • Bigeye Tuna
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2012, 11:56:30 AM »

Can't answer that, I've never been off the pace.  I'm sure it's going to happen one of these days, so I'm reading all the posts so I can know how to handle it, but up til now, it's not something I'd have to deal with.   :laugh

Couldn't resist.  ^^^^

I got lapped in the most recent enduro at the 4-letter.  In my second race, I raced like Brindle did the first time I saw him on the track.  I was down a minute after 6 laps in a race where lap times were roughly 1:40 and I had 54 laps to go.  

Late in the race, I saw the leader in my mirror a few seconds behind (or actually, a lot of seconds ahead).  I really, really, really didn't want to get lapped, just for the sake of pride.  He got closer and closer (it was the chubby guy from Indiana who went to Silverstone) and the closer he got, the faster I went.  I put up my fastest laps with him behind me.

Eventually, he caught up and when he did, I lifted before a turn so he could have the line and not interrupt his rhythm.  I flipped him the bird as he passed and I'm sure he returned the favor.

I don't think guys need to roll over when being overtaken, but at the same time, I've seen bozos dive bomb into turns to keep their spot and stay on the lead lap.  If I'm getting my ass handed to me, I've got no problem getting out of the way.  

CharlieTuna

• Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2012, 12:26:03 PM »

:-\  I'm almost always off the pace...

If i see one person I try to give them room - this doesn't always work out as expected.  on friday i moved over to give Feldynn room right as he moved over to pass me.  ouch!  sorry Feldynn...

If a group is coming I try to get off the track.  I don't wish to mess up anyone's race - but will settle for only messing up my own. 

I don't mind being lapped.  I'm accustomed to it in long races.  Now I take solace in the fact that, except for a track or two, it takes folks a few more laps to lap me than it used to.

RickS95

• The Bored of Directors
  • Bigeye Tuna
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2012, 12:33:59 PM »

:-\  I'm almost always off the pace...

If i see one person I try to give them room - this doesn't always work out as expected.  on friday i moved over to give Feldynn room right as he moved over to pass me.  ouch!  sorry Feldynn...

If a group is coming I try to get off the track.  I don't wish to mess up anyone's race - but will settle for only messing up my own. 

I don't mind being lapped.  I'm accustomed to it in long races.  Now I take solace in the fact that, except for a track or two, it takes folks a few more laps to lap me than it used to.

I think you're spending too much time working on the forum and not enough time behind the wheel.

Brindle

« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2012, 01:00:23 PM »

Almost no matter what the circumstance, if you are being lapped (whether you are on the lead lap or not), you should not be making defensive moves to put up a challenge.  You shouldn't be taking defensive lines in corners.  You shouldn't be changing lines on straightaways.  The rest probably depends on the situation.  In most situations you should give up position easier.  For instance, if the other driver gains sufficient overlap before a corner, you should give up the corner rather than going in side by side.  Always drive predictably.  Doing something drastic to let someone pass can do more harm than good.  If you are obviously slower than the person behind you it shouldn't take much to let them pass.

This is what I will do and expect from others.  I never, ever expect anyone to move out of the way, but they should not be fighting for the position either.  Also, never move over to let someone by.  99% of the time, the following driver is already planning a move around you, so moving from your line only hinders the effort.

This is actually what I had to do in the Cape Ring race on a few occasions when it WAS for actual track position.  The other car had sufficient overpass, so I let off slightly early to give up the line and fall in right behind.  I lost nothing in the exchange and it helps keep the pace up between battling drivers.

Oh and Wizard... :hifu
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up