SupaTunaGT

• April 23, 2024, 01:35:41 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

On Tuesday Nights join TheHotstepper for "Tuneless Tuesdays" (TuTu for short)

Thursday Night is "A Touch of Class" night; sponsored by Feldynn...

Check out the Career in a Year Friday nights 9pm eastern

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: When off the pace  (Read 2634 times)

Feldynn

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
Re: When off the pace
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2012, 01:03:04 PM »

If i see one person I try to give them room - this doesn't always work out as expected.  on friday i moved over to give Feldynn room right as he moved over to pass me.  ouch!  sorry Feldynn...

Hmm, I think I need a memory upgrade because I don't remember that at all Charlie, either that or it was a laughable moment so we just brushed it off and continued :).. either way, no harm no foul in my book!

Also the way I think about it is this, I will usually yield to the faster driver when it comes to being lapped though there are some caveats and situations similar to those others have mentioned.  If I see the lapper is in a good position to make a pass I'll try to give up a corner (even if I had the "right of way") or back off a touch on a straight to make sure it's clean and drama free. 

If I'm damaged or low on tires (or even fresh out of the pits on cold tires) I try to make a big deal of getting out of the way as soon as possible since my driving style is usually erratic at the best of times, nevermind running with damage or odd tires :).

"Not visualising the equine bestowment via it's verbilisation aperture!"

"Every silver lining has a touch of grey.."

Turbo-Tuna

• The Bored of Directors
  • Bigeye Tuna
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2012, 01:07:35 PM »

I try to give the pass when the leader is in position to pass. I will give up position/line sooner if I'm being lapped. Never take a defensive line when being lapped. If being lapped and I see a car pulling out for a pass, I give a free pass. I don't want to go two wide with a car that's lapping me. There's no reason for it. The sooner he passes me, the sooner I can do my own thing, without thinking about when he's going to pass me.

The only time I challenge a lapping car is if it's a purely recreational/non-competitive race, he has a decent lead, and I have good pace. I'll only pass a leading car when I'm lapped if I have consistent or noticeable pace advantage, or he had an incident.

Like most, I try not to screw up anyone's race.

Feldynn

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2012, 01:25:34 PM »

Now I take solace in the fact that, except for a track or two, it takes folks a few more laps to lap me than it used to.

I think you're spending too much time working on the forum and not enough time behind the wheel.

Slightly off topic but I just wanted to point out Charlie's epic improvement at the Laguna Seca endurance last week, more time behind the wheel (in the form of 200 miles of track time) definitely paid off IMO.. by the end of the race Charlie was running laps a good 10 seconds faster than at the start if I remember correctly and in a car that's not the easiest to control either.

Three cheers for Charlie!  Or at least a fist bump, pat on the back.. or maybe a pat on the head since there's a widgerdidger for that somewhere :).  Goos jorb mang!

"Not visualising the equine bestowment via it's verbilisation aperture!"

"Every silver lining has a touch of grey.."

TheHotstepper

• Global Moderator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
  • HaTUNA Matata
    • Classic Car Weekly
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2012, 02:01:34 PM »

I get very annoyed when people flat pull over and let me by, be they being lapped or even for position. That is not any fun. If you just know that you're going to knock in to the guy coming around you, then yeah, give him room. Otherwise, I prefer if you just went on racing normally (if you're being lapped, don't be defensive, but don't alter your normal racing line either). If whoever is behind you is truly faster, they'll find a way by. Just don't get flustered and wreck everyone.

LooneyTuna

• The Bored of Directors
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
  • One good turn deserves another. >-)))>
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2012, 02:20:51 PM »

(if you're being lapped, don't be defensive, but don't alter your normal racing line either). If whoever is behind you is truly faster, they'll find a way by. Just don't get flustered and wreck everyone.

Unless I am creating an unfair advantage for any battling cars right behind me, that about sums up my philosophy.
Dad is my co-pilot    Have you driven a 4rd lately?

BadBoots

• Yellowfin Tuna
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2012, 06:05:52 PM »

(if you're being lapped, don't be defensive, but don't alter your normal racing line either). If whoever is behind you is truly faster, they'll find a way by. Just don't get flustered and wreck everyone.

Unless I am creating an unfair advantage for any battling cars right behind me, that about sums up my philosophy.

:stoopid:
:dj :bass :guitar :jams :rocks :iwtband :fiesta

EX_stream_tuna

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
    • GT6 Photomode Album @ Flikr.com
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2012, 10:35:49 AM »

When you are more than a lap down should you let everyone by or give them a challenge? I usually put up as much of a fight as I can and then let them by if they are still riding my bumper for a lap or so.

i take note of the lapper coming up behind me and I use that as incentive to hold them off as long as possible, but only until they are within reach of passing me.  When they are close enough that I could cause them issues, I let them by.

TunahCroonah

• The Bored of Directors
  • Bigeye Tuna
  • Yes, I run with scissors, and?
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2012, 12:06:46 PM »

I just don't care..............

*crickets*

Just kidding.   Actually there's a bit of truth in all of your posts. Problem is just weeding it out, LOL.  The real way to do it is to Drive your OWN race, If the potential exists where someone is overtaking, stay on your line and when they have the advantage, let them pass.  Don't play games with other people's races. If you're not driving well enough or fast enough, then let the others by.  This is a racing GAME, and should be treated as such.  If you start to take it seriously, you need to find some other form of release.  :o

I look at it this way: I'm glad to be alive and in the company of such a great group of people.
Long Line Tunas! >-)))>

And for those who disagree with that philosophy, well I guess I should be nice and say: "If you disagree with this then   and have a nice day" (Nasty note to follow)

« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 12:13:32 PM by TunahCroonah »

Wolfpack987

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Southern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2012, 01:36:10 PM »

I like what I'm seeing posted in here, and agree with most if not all of it  :angel:

PSN ID = dawson864
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up