SupaTunaGT

• April 24, 2024, 06:14:07 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Around here we're just FAST enough to have FUN.

Race FAST!  Race HARD!!  Race CLEAN!!!   Have FUN!!!!

Long line Tunas!!!

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: "Light" On track contact  (Read 4303 times)

Brindle

"Light" On track contact
« on: March 24, 2012, 11:09:15 AM »

I wanted to use last nights racing as examples of this.  We had a great conversation about "when off the pace", I figured I would continue with a discussion on contact.

To start with, I understand that all contact by the members here is always unintentional.  We all always apologize immediately, even when we don't need to (noted by the person you said sorry to).  

What I'm getting at here, for me personally is, for the minor contact that doesn't put me in the grass or to the back of the pack, STAY ON THE GAS!!!  We are all at the point where we are trying to hone/further our skills, which means trying a little harder and slight contact may occur.  

HSR last night was aperfect example.  90% of the contact, NEVER put me out of the group I was with.  They were small bumps from the back, sometimes myself and others would push wide and contact the car on the outside.  All of that contact NEVER resulted in a major loss, but it did allow the other car to make the pass.  TAKE THAT SPOT!!!  As long as I stay with you,  it's just good fun to me.  You need only wait if I get demolished.

I will not speak for others, but after the chatting last night at HSR, I think many see it the same way.  
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 03:50:00 PM by SpitFriedBrindle »

TheHotstepper

• Global Moderator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
  • HaTUNA Matata
    • Classic Car Weekly
Re: On track contact
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2012, 11:31:39 AM »

I wanted to use last nights racing as examples of this.  We had a great conversation about "when off the pace", I figured I would continue with a discussion on contact.

To start with, I understand that all contact by the members here is always unintentional.  We all always apologize immediately, even when we don't need to (noted by the person you said sorry to). 

What I'm getting at here, for me personally is, for the minor contact that doesn't put me in the grass or to the back of the pack, STAY ON THE GAS!!!  We are all at the point where we are trying to hone/further our skills, which means trying a little harder and slight contact may occur. 

HSR last night was aperfect example.  90% of the contact, NEVER put me out of the group I was with.  They were small bumps from the back, sometimes myself and others would push wide and contact the car on the outside.  All of that contact NEVER resulted in a major loss, but it did allow the other car to make the pass.  TAKE THAT SPOT!!!  As long as I stay with you,  it's just good fun to me.  You need only wait if I get demolished.

I will not speak for others, but after the chatting last night at HSR, I think many see it the same way.   

:stoopid: Unless I'm facing the wrong way, stopped, or cursing wildly, KEEP GOING.

Exactly.

Is it wrong to call someone out? Example: someone boots me into the sand and keeps going. Can I say "Hey Fried, how about slowing down and waiting for me? 'Cause if you don't, I'm gonna run you down and spectacularly end your getaway."  ? This has happened to me and it's more frustrating then when someone pulls over after rubbing doors... sometimes I'm not even sure they realize it... but they must be made aware, no? Plus, it would ease the seething and keep me from returning the favor.

Brindle

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2012, 11:43:11 AM »

Is it wrong to call someone out? Example: someone boots me into the sand and keeps going. Can I say "Hey Fried, how about slowing down and waiting for me? 'Cause if you don't, I'm gonna run you down and spectacularly end your getaway."  ? This has happened to me and it's more frustrating then when someone pulls over after rubbing doors... sometimes I'm not even sure they realize it... but they must be made aware, no? Plus, it would ease the seething and keep me from returning the favor.

Not sure I get this.  "someone boots me into the sand and keeps going. Can I say "Hey Fried, how about slowing down and waiting for me? 'Cause if you don't, I'm gonna run you down and spectacularly end your getaway."  ?"  seems to contradict this "This has happened to me and it's more frustrating then when someone pulls over after rubbing doors"  or am I reading it wrong.

TheHotstepper

• Global Moderator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
  • HaTUNA Matata
    • Classic Car Weekly
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2012, 11:49:53 AM »

What I mean is, they knock me in the sand and keep going... which ruins my race and pisses me off. What I want to know is: after they knock me in the sand and keep going, can I say something like "Hey, you just knocked me in the sand, how about slowing the hell down and giving my that spot back you thieving swine?"

Brindle

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2012, 12:02:44 PM »

Ah, I was misreading.  I would say its up to you.  That has happened to me and I don''t care then either.  It really only grinds my gears when points are involved, or it was a completely bonehead move.  Otherwise, I'm sure they didn't even know it happened. 

I have also been on the giving side of that, where I feel the other car was at fault even though they got the raw end of the deal.  I don't always wait in that situation. That is why I also wouldn't expect someone else to wait either if I tried a dumb move and it forced contact between us.

Either way, I wanted to discuss the small insignificant contact.  We all know and handle big incidents well enough in my opinion.  I just wanted to get how I feel about the small stuff.

TheHotstepper

• Global Moderator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
  • HaTUNA Matata
    • Classic Car Weekly
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2012, 12:26:58 PM »

Make sense.

And whoops.

GET BACK IN THERE!

CharlieTuna

• Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2012, 12:29:34 PM »

or it was a completely bonehead move. 

:oops   I is sorry! 

^-^

Brindle

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2012, 02:08:53 PM »

Make sense.

And whoops.

GET BACK IN THERE!

Mmmm, worms.

You really didn't.  It's good info to know where other drivers stand.  :)

DesertSniper72

• The Bored of Directors
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
  • Front Towards Enemy
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2012, 03:04:28 PM »

I wanted to use last nights racing as examples of this.  We had a great conversation about "when off the pace", I figured I would continue with a discussion on contact.

To start with, I understand that all contact by the members here is always unintentional.  We all always apologize immediately, even when we don't need to (noted by the person you said sorry to). 

What I'm getting at here, for me personally is, for the minor contact that doesn't put me in the grass or to the back of the pack, STAY ON THE GAS!!!  We are all at the point where we are trying to hone/further our skills, which means trying a little harder and slight contact may occur. 

HSR last night was aperfect example.  90% of the contact, NEVER put me out of the group I was with.  They were small bumps from the back, sometimes myself and others would push wide and contact the car on the outside.  All of that contact NEVER resulted in a major loss, but it did allow the other car to make the pass.  TAKE THAT SPOT!!!  As long as I stay with you,  it's just good fun to me.  You need only wait if I get demolished.

:stoopid: Unless I'm facing the wrong way, stopped, or cursing wildly, KEEP GOING.

Exactly.

:stoopid:

Also, I think most know I won't usually hesitate calling someone out after a "bonehead" move. Just know it's my way of expressing displeasure with the final outcome of the incident. It's also my way to vent a bit and I'm usually over it by the time the engines cool.

Also also, I have no problem getting called out if I pull a "bonehead" move.

RoninTuna

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Bigeye Tuna
  • Katana o motte
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2012, 03:19:25 PM »

Contact is a touchy concept (Yeah, I went there 8) ),Ironic that I should be posting in this thread as I am notorious for putting my self in situations for incidental and sometimes intentional contact. There are way too many forms of contact found on the race way, the hard part is telling the what is what. Telling what is intentional and uncalled for, intentional and appropriate, intentional for fun, Intentional for communication, unintentional mistake on their part, unintentional on ones own fault, just to name a few is tough at best. The only way to learn this is through experience. That said about 90 to 95% of all contact among the Tunas is unintentional.

Incidental contact, it happens, and it happens a lot at least for me it does. You have all heard exchanged between me and someone else who bumped me in a corner..."Sorry Ronin" "I'm alive, it's all good" and you know what...it is all good, it tells me people are trying and willing to admit an oops as long as it's in moderation. When you are oopsing in every corner and a couple of straights....then we have an issue.

That 5 to 10% of intentional contact that I have seen is all most all ways all in good fun and goes to improve our racing experience. I love contact when it's all in good fun. Lets say for example you are side by side on the final lap approaching the finish line and you decide it's be fun to grind the door handled of your car and the one next to you....That's awesome, Eggs and I did this the other night, we finished 0:00.003 seconds apart...as allstar would say...."Pure..Adrenaline" and this was a race for forth and fifth of six I think it was. I will admit too there have been a couple times where I know I have made some intentional contact with a little more vindictive intent for lack of a better phrase. One notable incident, one of our better drivers made a bone headed move and crowded me off the track with an uncharacteristic dive and I got no apology. I belted him for it, didn't damage his race any but it made a fuck of a lot of noise and I got my apology.

When it comes to getting belted into the fairway bunkers and the other guy just keeps going....I have no problem saying something. I don't say names because who ever did it knows who they are but yeah, I'm sure a hand full of yall have heard me say the words, "Yeah, I got fucking belted".

For those instances that have been mentioned where some one pulls over for a little door grinding thinking it was unnecessary....If we are bumping and rubbing and I am still right there, don't worry about it. Take that spot or die trying because I intend to try to keep it or die trying. What I prefer over just pulling over after contact is just run your race and if someone suddenly drops off or wrecks in close proximity to you, keep going but ask. "Was that my doing?", "Did we get together back there?", It goes a lot further than just driving off or pulling over "Just in case". If I screw up in close proximity to someone and crash on my own, I'll admit it. On the reverse, if it was someone else's fault and they ask, I'll say so generally in a fairly calm manor. If I wreck wile racing for position and I am enjoying the battle, I'm generally more than willing to let it go, contact induced or not.

I survived the Great PSN outage of 2011

Boston77Bruins

• The Bored of Directors
  • Pacific Bluefin Tuna
  • BLEEDS BLACK AND GOLD
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2012, 04:02:34 PM »

Contact is a touchy concept (Yeah, I went there 8) ),Ironic that I should be posting in this thread as I am notorious for putting my self in situations for incidental and sometimes intentional contact. There are way too many forms of contact found on the race way, the hard part is telling the what is what. Telling what is intentional and uncalled for, intentional and appropriate, intentional for fun, Intentional for communication, unintentional mistake on their part, unintentional on ones own fault, just to name a few is tough at best. The only way to learn this is through experience. That said about 90 to 95% of all contact among the Tunas is unintentional.

Incidental contact, it happens, and it happens a lot at least for me it does. You have all heard exchanged between me and someone else who bumped me in a corner..."Sorry Ronin" "I'm alive, it's all good" and you know what...it is all good, it tells me people are trying and willing to admit an oops as long as it's in moderation. When you are oopsing in every corner and a couple of straights....then we have an issue.

That 5 to 10% of intentional contact that I have seen is all most all ways all in good fun and goes to improve our racing experience. I love contact when it's all in good fun. Lets say for example you are side by side on the final lap approaching the finish line and you decide it's be fun to grind the door handled of your car and the one next to you....That's awesome, Eggs and I did this the other night, we finished 0:00.003 seconds apart...as allstar would say...."Pure..Adrenaline" and this was a race for forth and fifth of six I think it was. I will admit too there have been a couple times where I know I have made some intentional contact with a little more vindictive intent for lack of a better phrase. One notable incident, one of our better drivers made a bone headed move and crowded me off the track with an uncharacteristic dive and I got no apology. I belted him for it, didn't damage his race any but it made a fuck of a lot of noise and I got my apology.

When it comes to getting belted into the fairway bunkers and the other guy just keeps going....I have no problem saying something. I don't say names because who ever did it knows who they are but yeah, I'm sure a hand full of yall have heard me say the words, "Yeah, I got fucking belted".

For those instances that have been mentioned where some one pulls over for a little door grinding thinking it was unnecessary....If we are bumping and rubbing and I am still right there, don't worry about it. Take that spot or die trying because I intend to try to keep it or die trying. What I prefer over just pulling over after contact is just run your race and if someone suddenly drops off or wrecks in close proximity to you, keep going but ask. "Was that my doing?", "Did we get together back there?", It goes a lot further than just driving off or pulling over "Just in case". If I screw up in close proximity to someone and crash on my own, I'll admit it. On the reverse, if it was someone else's fault and they ask, I'll say so generally in a fairly calm manor. If I wreck wile racing for position and I am enjoying the battle, I'm generally more than willing to let it go, contact induced or not.

I drive like a pussy so...
Sorry Ronin, I just can't grasp this.   You said "One of our better drivers made a bone head move with an UNCHARCTERISTIC dive that caused you an off".   You then went on to take him out.  HUH?

When did retaliation against known friends become OK? I can understand taking out an unknown douche bag that continues to ruin peoples races over and over again, but one incidence with a known racer who made an error in judgement?  Your mic is always on.  Couldn't you have said something rather than retaliating?

Not trying to be a dick, I just don't understand.

RoninTuna

• 5 Slow Guys Racing
  • Bigeye Tuna
  • Katana o motte
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2012, 04:11:17 PM »

I will admit too there have been a couple times where I know I have made some intentional contact with a little more vindictive intent for lack of a better phrase. One notable incident, one of our better drivers made a bone headed move and crowded me off the track with an uncharacteristic dive and I got no apology. I belted him for it, didn't damage his race any but it made a fuck of a lot of noise and I got my apology.

I drive like a pussy so...
Sorry Ronin, I just can't grasp this.   You said "One of our better drivers made a bone head move with an UNCHARCTERISTIC dive that caused you an off".   You then went on to take him out.  HUH?

When did retaliation against known friends become OK? I can understand taking out an unknown douche bag that continues to ruin peoples races over and over again, but one incidence with a known racer who made an error in judgement?  Your mic is always on.  Couldn't you have said something rather than retaliating?

Not trying to be a dick, I just don't understand.

You misread.

I did not take him out, I merely made a hell of a lot of noise with the two cars. One shot, one bang and on we went.

You are right, my mic is all ways on, but the hard truth of it is, what I did, was the better course of action. Yes, even back then we where both known drivers to each other, that is why it worked. That simple bang on the quarter panel told him I was there and he screwed up and he realized it, It was a private exchange between him and I if you will. it was either that or say what was on my mind which went something along the lines of "What the fuck [insert name here], get your head out of your ass you fucking know better than that. Cut my line and push me off, what the fuck man". All that woulds have accomplished would have been verbal argument over the comm system wile everyone was trying to race.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 04:29:27 PM by RoninTuna »

I survived the Great PSN outage of 2011

BakedTuna

• Administrator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
Re: "Light" On track contact
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2012, 04:35:35 PM »

Since last night was used as an example I will follow suit. I had contact several times last night sometimes initiated by me sometimes by a competitor. But never once did I feel anyone owed me anything. I waited up a few times when I thought I had erred too far. But honestly unless someone is a repeat offender in a single event I tend to blow it off we run hundreds possibly thousands of races in a year only a few few hold any true meaning. And even that the meaning is very minute in the big picture of things. If someone pisses me off I don't feel a need to hold back but for the most part my temper stays in check. And on the flipside if I am out there pulling douchey moves say so someone I am a big boy I will handle it. Besides I strive to be clean if I am being douchey it is unintentional and I need to be made aware.

I am done.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 04:37:38 PM by BakedTuna »

Turbo-Tuna

• The Bored of Directors
  • Bigeye Tuna
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2012, 06:24:55 PM »

I usually avoid contact, as it often leads to wrecks. I will sometimes allow my car a little rubbing (or a little bumper-push through certain corners), but only if I'm very confident it can be done safely. I like a driver waiting after an accident, but I don't even need to regain the position, as long as we are close enough to keep racing together.

Contact in our events is generally driver error. A driver I rarely run with last night accidentally braked late (lapse of concentration?), rammed me, put me off pace, waited, and apologized. As soon as I was on track I told him to go. I didn't want him to lose any more pace than he needed to for the accident. Shit happens. While it's nice to wait, I don't think anyone wants other drivers to have their race messed up. I wanted to race with him, that's what I'm there for.

I guess that's not light contact...for light contact, like the above, I just hope that the driver shows some consideration, check up to ensure the two drivers will remain close after the contact.

Slightly off topic?: it can be very inconvenient to others when 'offending drivers' cut pace significantly in a twisty section of track, forcing people to adjust speed and line when not really neccesary. It's best to wait for a part of the road where you're very easy to navigate around at race pace.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 06:31:40 PM by Turbo-Tuna »

Wiz

• Tech
  • Administrator
  • Northern Bluefin Tuna
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2012, 06:27:30 PM »

I don't see nothing wrong with a little bump and grind.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up